• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGLeaks: Durango GPU detailed

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
What an incredibly disingenuous statement, you know very well what the context here is, what is the point of this smartass retort?

oh really, what's the context then?

would you like to quantify what the differences would be between the two platforms with resolution, textures and geometry at parity with the knowledge that durango has 10x the shading performance of Xbox 360?

I'll wait here.

Karak

Yes and no. He seemed like it at first but has been wrong and trolling a lot since then. I don't know what his current status of reliability is.

Oh apologies. I saw that a couple online sites said he was and thought he was. If he isn't sorry about that. I thought it was VGleaks themselves.

EDIT: I guess he has been right more than wrong after looking it up and did indeed have a durango kit.

Pistolero

That's as exquisite turn of events if I've ever witnessed one! Some forumers will be taught the virtues of patience the hard way!

Spongebob

Banned
Surprised that people don't know who SuperDAE is.... he's the one who put the Durango dev kit on ebay.

He has info and he is legit.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Oh apologies. I saw that a couple online sites said he was and thought he was. If he isn't sorry about that. I thought it was VGleaks themselves.

His initial leak in Durango dev kits was correct, at least. Since then he's been messing with people a lot. I know recently he said he was going to a Google Plus hangout and reveal specs but never showed up, despite starting it.

Gorillaz

What the buck.

image.php

exactly

Reiko

Banned
Guess he could easily just be fucking with people again.

I wouldn't take his tweet as Durango>Orbis.

But there is a possibility that the gap in power between both consoles could end up smaller than what we perceive right now.

...But hey... I could be wrong.

NDA takes the fun out of everything.

Karak

Aegies claims Sony changed their specs in the summer of 2012 and they're believed to be ready for release this year.

Maybe it was B3d but someone ran through the logistics of it and said the latest chances could be march-June of 2012 for large changes and right up until fabrication for very very small changes if they want the stuff to have any chance.

How late did Saturn change? I know thats super old news and probably doesn't apply but hey. It has always interested me that they fully found out about what was in the competitor system and adjusted their entire board.

Codeblew

I also remember both thuway and Proelite saying flops won't tell the true story with these new consoles.

But hey, you have seriously convinced yourself that you see whatever you want to see.

Both of them are banned. I am not sure I would put much trust in what they have said.

KidBeta

Aegies claims Sony changed their specs in the summer of 2012 and they're believed to be ready for release this year.

It doeends on level of change you can't just add a brand new GPU and expect to release soon, minor changes on the other shouldn't effect it to much but everyone here is probably thinking the change is gigantic and major

Thats what I'm wondering. If the specs haven't changed, then it doesn't matter how old they are.

Unless MS gave devs public specs, but had a slightly more powerful chip should the need arise is the only thing I can see.

What bothers me is that the early dev boxes for 720 were rumored to be these beast machines and from what I seen in the past, prototype dev systems are never made to be more powerful than final production systems and are often a fraction of the power of the final hardware but hear we are with rumors again gimping 720. If all rumors are true then wouldn't this leave the games and technology that started early development in really bad shape?

oh really, what's the context then?

I'll wait here.

1: ps3 flops number was given by nvidia for RSX and they were bullshit (nvidia is known to downright lie about their numbers and wildly exaggerate)
2: wildly different architectures both cpu and gpu wise.

This time: both developed by amd, both (going off rumors still which is what the speculation is about) using the same GCN architecture.
We have (the 'leaked') CU and flop numbers for both and they are way more representative of performance relative to eachother because of the above.
The only difference this time being the memory set up which appears weaker on durango...

You claim ps3/xbox360 were further apart based on some early bullshit number nvidia gave that wasn't comparable to the xenos numbers to begin with.

So either you know all this and still felt the need to be obtuse about it, or you didn't and we are just going in circles with people parroting the same shit (like in your post) over and over every few pages.

Pick your poison.

50% more FPS.
Seems like you already got told by Codeblew.

Microsoft's problem right now is one of perception. If MS doesn't come out screaming at the Durango unveil and/or E3 shouting "Core, Core, Core!", I don't think the early midterm looks good for MS unless those new first party games show up fast.

The 360 could coast like it has due to still getting superior multiplats late in this gen, but if they come out with the lower power box it is an uphill climb which leaves them vulnerable to a hungry Sony.

Perception on a board over leaked info and public perception are two completely different things. We have enough tidbits to prove MS has ramped back for the core gamers, MS is pretty good at marketing, I'm sure they will be fine.

DopeyFish

Actually it's assuming that the game is GPU limited. CPU could have practically the same workload at twice the framerate

So now you have a game where the physics, AI, HUD and controller response is disjointed from the frame rate

Not very wise especially with physics which have a direct impact on visuals in motion

KidBeta

So now you have a game where the physics, AI, HUD and controller response is disjointed from the frame rate

Not very wise especially with physics which have a direct impact on visuals in motion

That's assuming the physics engine doesn't already tick at over 60fps

It really doesn't seem to make sense to have some beast early dev kits if your final target hardware is nowhere close to it. But I don't know how those things work.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
It really doesn't seem to make sense to have some beast early dev kits if your final target hardware is nowhere close to it. But I don't know how those things work.

It's to simulate other things that will be included in final silicon. Some customizations will be higher than what an equivalent flops card would have so a better GPU is needed to fill that in.

KidBeta

The early hardware is meant to only represent the final closed box of the system it's not meant to have the same specs or even architecture

DopeyFish

1: ps3 flops number was given by nvidia for RSX and they were bullshit (nvidia is known to downright lie about their numbers and wildly exaggerate)
2: wildly different architectures both cpu and gpu wise.

This time: both developed by amd, both (going off rumors still which is what the speculation is about) using the same GCN architecture.
We have (the 'leaked') CU and flop numbers for both and they are way more representative of performance relative to eachother because of the above.
The only difference this time being the memory set up which appears weaker on durango...

You claim ps3/xbox360 were further apart based on some early bullshit number nvidia gave that wasn't comparable to the xenos numbers to begin with.

So either you know all this and still felt the need to be obtuse about it, or you didn't and we are just going in circles with people parroting the same shit (like in your post) over and over every few pages.

Pick your poison.

So again, cherry picking to prove some point? I sourced 4 generations of data, youre looking at one. Still, I didn't see you quantifying what difference it would be with resolution, textures and geometry at parity between the two...

I'm still waiting

That's assuming the physics engine doesn't already tick at over 60fps

For basis of argument I will assume its ticking at frame rate because of lack of compute on Durango

SuperDAE's info can't be ignored. If you do believe he had a Durango devkit (which is a big if), then his knowledge of the hardware (at least of the alpha kits) is better than anything from VGleaks IMHO.

So again, cherry picking to prove some point? I sourced 4 generations of data, youre looking at one. Still, I didn't see you quantifying what difference it would be with resolution, textures and geometry at parity between the two...

I'm still waiting

No, you were suggesting this is the first time in several gens that it would be this close, obviously referring to last gen. (suggesting it's closer this time than the difference between ps3 and xbox 360 and alluding to the difference in graphics or framerate being even more negligable next gen).
At least that is what I got from your post... hence why I called it disingenuous. Do I have to spell everything out.

As for the second part of your post, I think you have me confused with someone else. I only responded to your 'closest since psx and n64' comment.
Fight it out with them.

Also, not 'again' anything , you have me confused with someone else who you were arguing with before.

KidBeta

I'm still waiting

Your cherry picking generations which aren't similar and cant be used for comparasiom

Ding

Durango is like the laughing stock on GAF at the moment. Stressing 'GAF'. I'd like to see how this plays out.
It's worse than that. It's more like, "The theoretical Durango, as portrayed by various somewhat dubious internet rumors, is the laughing stock on GAF at the moment."

If the rumored specs are true, I'm underwhelmed by the the Durango at the moment. Not appalled, just underwhelmed. But I'm not at all convinced that we're getting the straight skinny. So many things just don't make sense to me.

BTW, I've been critical of MS's (alleged) Durango design choices in my last couple posts. But I'm a happy one-console 360 owner this gen, so please don't assume I'm one of the fanboys. I'll switch allegiances in a heartbeat, if it looks like the grass has gotten greener elsewhere.

Ding don't care.

KidBeta

SuperDAE's info can't be ignored. If you do believe he had a Durango devkit (which is a big if), then his knowledge of the hardware (at least of the alpha kits) is better than anything from VGleaks IMHO.

Vgleaks info is from February last years Durango summit so I would say it is much closer then the alpha dev kit

DopeyFish

No, you were suggesting this is the first time in several gens that it would be this close, obviously referring to last gen.

As for the second part of your post, I think you have me confused with someone else. I only responded to your 'closest since psx and n64' comment.
Fight it out with them.

Yes I decided to bring you into it.

And no, actually I was thinking more of Xbox - GameCube which was 21.6 vs 10.5 GFLOPs when I was making the comment and that one was 100% increase

Karak

It's worse than that. It's more like, "The theoretical Durango, as portrayed by various somewhat dubious internet rumors, is the laughing stock on GAF at the moment."

If the rumored specs are true, I'm underwhelmed by the the Durango at the moment. Not appalled, just underwhelmed. But I'm not at all convinced that we're getting the straight skinny. So many things just don't make sense to me.

BTW, I've been critical of MS's (alleged) Durango design choices in my last couple posts. But I'm a happy one-console 360 owner this gen, so please don't assume I'm one of the fanboys. I'll switch allegiances in a heartbeat, if it looks like the grass has gotten greener elsewhere.

Ding don't care.
It is all about the games.

KidBeta

And no, actually I was thinking more of Xbox - GameCube which was 21.6 vs 10.5 GFLOPs when I was making the comment and that one was 100% increase

Different architectures not comparable this would have to be the fifth or sixth time you've been told this

DopeyFish

Your cherry picking generations which aren't similar and cant be used for comparasiom

I'm not cherry picking anything

I am asking how you can quantify that 50% increase for a very explicit reason.

Different architectures not comparable this would have to be the fifth or sixth time you've been told this

You can keep repeating it all you like, but the fact you can't quantify it speaks volumes.

KidBeta

I'm not cherry picking anything

I am asking how you can quantify that 50% increase for a very explicit reason.

Is that reason to try and detract from the fact that it's there I have said multiple times you can't quantify it visually because it could be anything, it could allow for higher reso effects , more effects, anything really.

The guy apparently also sent Kotaku a 90 page document with specs for orbis dev kits, as of January this year.

Why didn't people pick on that? It says Orbis dev kits have 8 GB of system memory and 2.2 GB VRAM and bulldozer CPUs.

It also talks about the new controller.

DopeyFish

Is that reason to try and detract from the fact that it's there I have said multiple times you can't quantify it visually because it could be anything, it could allow for higher reso effects , more effects, anything really.

So when you're looking at a game like crysis 3 - which basically has every pixel on screen pixel shaded, how easily do you think you'd be able to distinguish the game across the two platforms?

If you were referencing xbox-gamecube then I misread your intentions.
And you can't decide to bring me into it, I refuse to play ball.

@ Ding's post: that is pretty eloquently put, though I don't see how it's worse.
Speculating about rumors means it's all up in the air, durango isn't a laughing stock, the rumored specs are until someone can convince us with full specs why it shouldn't be.

The super careful conclusion of your post (and the need I feel to tip toe around everything I say) proves that there is now such a thing as 'political correctness' (in the worst sense of the word) when it comes to discussing hardware or even just rumors.

That is where I draw the line, screw y' all I'm not taking part in some tip toe PC bullcrap where you have to sugarcoat every word out of your mouth. I suggest you all reflect on how silly it's becoming.
People are so scared of being associated with the word fanboy that you get posts that are worded like ding's. It's like crying witch every time someone says something you don't feel comfortable hearing and every observation can be interpreted as bias.

KidBeta

So when you're looking at a game like crysis 3 - which basically has every pixel on screen pixel shaded, how easily do you think you'd be able to distinguish the game across the two platforms?

Depends on what the extra flops are used for, if they are used to render a giant middle finger on the screen then it's going to be obvious of its used to up the reso of a couple of effects not so much.

DopeyFish

Depends on what the extra flops are used for, if they are used to render a giant middle finger on the screen then it's going to be obvious of its used to up the reso of a couple of effects not so much.

Just for reference... And this is the point I'm getting at... (Hoping math is right)

A 50% increase in shader resolution means a 1/3rd increase in the density of the shading/specularity

Or a 16% increase on both X and Y of every shaded texture

Something the majority of people would have a difficult time noticing, especially at a distance.

Top Bottom