• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGLeaks Durango specs: x64 8-core CPU @1.6GHz, 8GB DDR3 + 32MB ESRAM, 50GB 6x BD...

I am not pleased with the direction that Microsoft seems to be taking. Connecting a console to a cable box? Count me out. I'm sure some people can muster up some excitement for that, but it seems like Microsoft is continuing down the road of pointless bells and whistles to me.

Even though this could never happen how awesome would it be? Have dual settings for every game and the hardcore would purchase your system twice.

I would purchase it 4 times. Each console will have it's own game in it's HDD. Yeah, that will be amazing. I will do it. It's possible in current-gen as well with games like Gran Turismo and all, but that's for multiple display. They can use that to have a proper 1080p/60fps Ultra high setting gaming bliss.

derFeef

what I want to know is how the juicy details about the OS haven't been leaked yet? we've got a pretty big leak here but zero about the OS. closely guarded secret or did people just not think to ask / look for that info?

I guess since the software is more close to MS it's harder for info to get out.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
These specs are amazing, bearing in mind we can still get last minute changes.

Last gen we learned that better hardware doesn't always equate to better games, and more importantly optimisation.

So what does gaf think, will MS/Sony announce at their own event? Pre-E3 ?
Own event beforehand, elaboration and many more games and specs shown at E3
Own events get more press and MS can invite more than just folks that will be bunching in with gaming press at E3, an already increasingly irrelevant venue.

It sounds like MS had a look at all the cool stuff in DirectX that hadn't been interpreted or supported 'properly' by AMD/Nvidia and took the opportunity to craft the hardware how they thought it should work as an ideal companion to DX?

Can you expand on what you mean by "cool stuff"?

I guess since the software is more close to MS it's harder for info to get out.

you're probably right, but not knowing what they have planned for those reserved 3gb is slowly eating away at me. I need to know, even more so than I needed to know the specs. I need to know.

xenist

So, is my i5 2500k, GTX660 PC setup obsolete when games are made to this level of hardware?

For some reason, the leaked specs do not seem that amazing to me. Hopefully Sony goes balls deep on crazy tech. Hopefully Sony does not have a peripheral that takes significant resources away from gaming like Kinect does.

As long as the developers stop with the "PC gaming is dead" bullshit, stop being lazy and do their fucking jobs, no it will not be obsolete.

B.O.O.M

I doubt they'd wait a whole week for the Orbis specs. Someone might get in on it before them (even though it kind of already happened).

well they worded it in a way that makes me think they will make this a weekly thing. (they said in the coming weeks) But damn would love to hear more about Orbis as well. What's the secret sauce of orbis!?

Does GAF crucify those who's info turns out to be false after the reveals?

I wish but for that somebody would need to keep track of all the postings of all the insiders. In the end it was never their fault but what they have been told, heard, read, guessed, ... so they walk away free ;-)

I am really curious what secret hardware will make up the alleged CUs (dedicated PS4 extra CUs and 18 versus 12 GPU CUs) Durango is missing. Really funny how some posters here are so sure that they are capable of doing that but are not sure what the secret is, how it works, can't tell, etc.

I probably shouldn't have put latency in that statement but I do look at it as a wash more or less. Generally it like what a 20% difference more or less correct? With a lot more bandwidth.

Proelite

But it is related to clock, right? I thought he was saying GDDR allows to be clocked a lot higher.

Nope. Latency is related to the time it takes for info to get to point A to point B.

No matter how many cars you send to another city, they'll still arrive at the same speeds.

Master_JO

Banned
So people, What can we take from all this?
IF the rumoured spec about both console are true. Which one will be more powerful?

lets just pretend that those specs are final.

Tic tech guys. Break it down to us :D

I am not pleased with the direction that Microsoft seems to be taking. Connecting a console to a cable box? Count me out. I'm sure some people can muster up some excitement for that, but it seems like Microsoft is continuing down the road of pointless bells and whistles to me.

So don't use that feature? As long as the added functionality brings more people into the tent and doesn't chase away third parties, who cares? It's not like adding HBO Go forced them to sacrifice games. When third parties jump ship, then I'll worry. Right now third party feedback has been positive.

i-Lo

Hard to miss twisting everything everyone says in Orbis thread as Sony negative and everything in here Microsoft positive. Its boring.

I want near equal power and some semblance of assurance that both consoles would receive nearly identical multiplatform ports. My reactions are a result of speculations that can traced back to the foundation of the first leak. I can tell when I have rustled some jimmies here. And not to mention all this talk about sauce that no one can directly talk about. It's reactionary.

So once again, you're free to skip my posts.

deanos

Banned
I still dont get how these Data Move Engines are going to close a 50% gap.
Sounds like nothing more than a wishful thinking.

But it is related to clock, right? I thought he was saying GDDR allows to be clocked a lot higher.

The true clock for GDDR is not much higher clock. The DDR5 with 6000mhz rating actually runs at 1/4 that. So 6000mhz is actually just 1500mhz.

1600mhz DDR3 runs at 800mhz.

So you aren't getting the latency back.

Orbis

6x is more than adequate...i'm not sure if people are just looking for something to complain about or don't know much about tech.
It should be sufficient, and I wouldn't expect any faster than 6x to be honest. The PS3 has a rather slow BD drive which at 2x speed is actually slower than the 12x DVD drive on the 360. And it's bearable.

itsgreen

Guys the HDMI-in isn't for PVR...

The HDMI out of a receiver is often copy protected...

The HDMI in is so you can watch your tv and have Xbox interface parts pop over your tv screen. Think of a Skype call coming in while watching a movie, video calling with friends while watching a show.

Launching apps while doing something else...

So people, What can we take from all this?
IF the rumoured spec about both console are true. Which one will be more powerful?

lets just pretend that those specs are final.

Tic tech guys. Break it down to us :D

I know absolutely nothing about the tech side, but I feel the next gen will closely mirror this generation. exclusives will be the ones to show off a consoles prowess and both will have some amazingly stunning games. third parties titles, while improving will roughly be the same on both consoles.

comparing just specs doesn't seem to be as viable an option as it was in the past due to various customised tech and efficiencies.

I miss the bit generations. :(

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Well, I know people kind of laughed about the idea of a blitter, but with the revelations today about the memory setup, it probably would make a good deal of sense to have an independent unit for shunting data between eSRAM and DDR3. Vs troubling a CPU that may not be always ready to fulfil that request.

Coupled with some things aegie's said, maybe you can add some on-the-fly decompression beyond regular texture compression etc.

Beyond that I'm out of guesses, if we're talking about memory related stuff vs 'things the gpu might otherwise do'. Are these 4 data move engines all fulfilling different purposes or are they 4 symmetric things, doing the same stuff? Are they all strictly memory related?

If you have fiddly little bits of memory here and there that you want to keep in esram (eg small textures for a character or whatever), maybe you could have banks of 32MB in main memory that you can quickly shunt into and out of esram to be worked on? Rather than multiple calls for small amounts of memory?

At first glance it appears Sony console is more powerful, but most rumblings I've read peg them at about equal. We'll just have to wait for the games then judge.

Ushae

Banned
what I want to know is how the juicy details about the OS haven't been leaked yet? we've got a pretty big leak here but zero about the OS. closely guarded secret or did people just not think to ask / look for that info?

Imo the OS is the possibly the most vital part of these systems. It should stay a surprise until reveals or e3 I think.

LOL what? I explained pretty clearly why that post doesn't mean much and you who admit you don't know anything said "maybe its reasonable" or whatever. Lol, how are you gonna swear by something you have no clue about? The only one who "looks bad" is you.

You totally didn't lead your debate team. Your explanation was terrible, you didn't understand clear sarcasm(poor reading comprehension rearing it's ugly head again), said he didn't talk about flops when he was replying directly to a post about CUs and Flops.

I don't even understand what you imply with your post at the end, but your other post about the move units and the compute unit says everything.

Keep going at it. I def won't bother you anymore.

Guys the HDMI-in isn't for PVR...

The HDMI out of a receiver is often copy protected...

The HDMI in is so you can watch your tv and have Xbox interface parts pop over your tv screen. Think of a Skype call coming in while watching a movie, video calling with friends while watching a show.

Launching apps while doing something else...

essentially picture in picture?

Proelite

Deanos, I've already received word from special sources that the special sauces will not only make up the gap, but overshoot it like jizz launched from a wizard's penis.

Imo the OS is the possibly the most vital part of these systems. It should stay a surprise until reveals or e3 I think.

I agree, but I can't wait that long. :( I need to know now. hell, I'll take some rumours at this point, just a hint at what they have planned.

Latency is totally unrelated to bandwidth.

No, not totally. More like a trade-off.

GDDR5's IO layers, which is part of why it gets the bandwidth it does, adds overhead on both ends(I and O) which imposes the latency penalty that puts it behind DDR3. Im oversimplifying but thats the gist. Its not that big a difference though.

The special sauce was actually from my mums own recipe...I am in the process of suing MS over it...so I am afraid you can't expect any special sauce anymore

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
The true clock for GDDR is not much higher clock. The DDR5 with 6000mhz rating actually runs at 1/4 that. So 6000mhz is actually just 1500mhz.

1600mhz DDR3 runs at 800mhz.

So you aren't getting the latency back.

Nope. Latency is related to the time it takes for info to get to point A to point B.

No matter how many cars you send to another city, they'll still arrive at the same speeds.
OK, I think I'm learning something now, but you two seem to contradict. From what I can understand from oversitting's post: Thanks to higher GDDR5 clock, its latency would become lower compared to what it otherwise would be, but since it's 3x lower to begin with (compared clock to clock) it would not be a wash - but it would not be 3x lower either?

So more or less 1.5X a Wii U? You see the guys at the Wii U threads were all correct. Nintendo strategy is flawless, crisis adverted... All concersn are eased.

Atilac

Data move engine sounds like a Processor that handles the kinect sensor, freeing that load from the main CPU.
Microsofts slim RAM advantage is moot because both systems have a Harddrive which will aid in caching.

You totally didn't lead your debate team. Your explanation was terrible, you didn't understand clear sarcasm(poor reading comprehension rearing it's ugly head again), said he didn't talk about flops when he was replying directly to a post about CUs and Flops.

I don't even understand what you imply with your post at the end, but your other post about the move units and the compute unit says everything.

Keep going at it. I def won't bother you anymore.

I would humor you more if you had even a basic idea of the concepts at hand here. But honestly its a waste, especially when you can't begin to tell me where im right or wrong. Keep bothering me though, its very cute.

Top Bottom