• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGLeaks Durango specs: x64 8-core CPU @1.6GHz, 8GB DDR3 + 32MB ESRAM, 50GB 6x BD...

Kinect or ARM.

Could be a MicroBlaze from Xilinx aswell. FPGA SoftCore which can be updated over time to adapt to the needs when after Kinect 2.0 the cloud or immersion revolution is launching. The 5-stage pipeline can deliever a lot of DMIPS (1.30 DMIPs/MHz). Combined with Virtex-7 modules that might help a lot...

Aegis had implied that Microsoft had invested heavily into making sure that the cores were extremely efficient. Which indicates to me (part of the extremely uninformed and no where near tech smart group) that they have chosen to use older "souped up" parts in lieu of newer hardware.

What are the benefits of doing this from a business point-of-view?

Reduced manufacturing Cost? Stability/Reliability of the system? Or do we think this is purely a system production move?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Apologies if its been asked before, but what do these specs (or previous leaks) implicate anything for backwards compatibility of software?

Spongebob

Banned
Is the rumors are true wich console is more powerful?

Ps4 pr X720?

Once again until we know the extent to which Durango's GPU has been customized and until we know the function of these Data Move Engines, its too early to say.

Apologies if its been asked before, but what do these specs (or previous leaks) implicate anything for backwards compatibility of software?

0% chance through emulation, they would have to include the SOC from the 360 to achieve BC.

Razgreez

It's DDR3 so it has relativity low bandwith. Your Graphics card in your PC also has some GDDR5 on it which has high bandwith. That's why Durango has 32MB of ESRAM to counteract that.

I'm beginning to think this system of ["data movers" - DDR3 - eSRAM] can actually achieve more efficient bandwidth ,and by that token GPU usage, than simple GDDR5 and a more standard GPU setup even if the theoretical peak is lower. Depending on the bus speed/size of course. He might be right in that that could more than overcome the gap

MooseKing

Banned
As long as the developers stop with the "PC gaming is dead" bullshit, stop being lazy and do their fucking jobs, no it will not be obsolete.

Not only will his setup not be obselete, it will be without a doubt more powerful then what is going into the next Xbox.

A) The amount of cores make little different when the architecture is the CPU is not as good. Sandybridge/Ivybrdige destroy anything AMD offers, regardless of if it's 6 cores or what not. This will be no different. AMD does not have the capability of making anything on the level of Intel's last two CPU's.

B) 8gb of ram is once again, good for a gaming PC, but for little money you can get 16 or more gigs or very high performance ram.

C) I doubt, by far, that the card going into the "720" will compete with cards like ther 670/680. They get way to hot, and do not have the reliability needed for consoles.

D) Sometime in the spring you have Haswell launching with DDR4, new socket and tons of new things.

This isn't to say the spec's are not amazing for a console. Console games are often far more optimized then those on PC. The specs shown here are amazing for a console, and will be able to provide mind blowing results in games. I mean, the current consoles are working with hardware so obsolete I wouldn't use it as my home server as I could get better for less money. So this is a gigantic leap.

Pagusas

Elden Member
So we still don't know what kind of CPU is in this thing. I'm fairly certain it's not X86 and it something slightly more custom like the CPU in the 360, except 8 or them. It would probably be necessary for backwards compatibility to have something not x86

There has been a ton of talk about the CPU, 8 AMD Jaguar cores, very power efficient and run 2 threads each.

Bsigg12

Currently, no, since there is no legacy cores detailed. With the switch to x86 from x64 which the 360 is/was, it would either require an emulator or an onboard legacy core (can't think of the name of the 360 core). The same will go for Sony which will have the harder time emulating the Cell processor and the way it runs.

Really anyone jumping to conclusions now has some other motivation than just the pure information presented.

I´m just disappointed with what MS is doing since 2009 and had hoped they would find the road again.

So far it seems it´s not happening (for me), and yes, i think the newest rumors are legit. I´m getting older and my time for gaming is getting sparser and sparser... so one console is enough, and i will go with the one that will give me the best versions, like i always did. I don`t care for brand loyalty and pick selfishly the machine with the best specs... and going with what we know, it´s Orbis.

And i'm not a believer of the special juice, that make the Durango so much better than the specs indicates (i see it more as viral marketing).

tinfoilhatman

all of my posts are my avatar
0% chance through emulation, they would have to include the SOC from the 360 to achieve BC.

Umm I call bullshit on this, someone please feel free to explain to me why I"m mistaken

360 can emulate the vast majority of popular Xbox1 games with almost ZERO planning ahead of time and VASTLY different hardware and Nvidia patent issues.

720 will be closer to 360 than 360 was to Xbox(GPU MUCH closer).........software emulation should almost certainly be VERY achievable.

Is the rumors are true wich console is more powerful?

Ps4 pr X720?

whichever has the more talented first party studios because they are the only ones that will be able to tap the full power of either machine.

the gen it's clearly been sony but microsoft have invested heavily in first party and some of that investment showed with halo 4, so it's anyone's game.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
A person in the know I spoke with said the diagram is missing a cross-buffer between the North Bridge, Data Move Engine, and DDR3. This cross-buffer adds an extra vertex layer to the GPU, essentially doubling the throughput of the ESRAM. This innovative feature is a virtualization, so to speak, of trans-core communication.

Razgreez

A person in the know I spoke with said the diagram is missing a cross-buffer between the North Bridge, Data Move Engine, and DDR3. This cross-buffer adds an extra vertex layer to the GPU, essentially doubling the throughput of the ESRAM. This innovative feature is a virtualization, so to speak, of trans-core communication.

That's exactly what i've been alluding to. Essentially we're missing a few arrows in the diagram

herod

Umm I call bullshit on this, someone please feel free to explain to me why I"m mistaken

360 can emulate the vast majority of popular Xbox1 games with almost ZERO planning ahead of time.

720 will be closer to 360 than 360 was to Xbox(GPU MUCH closer).........software emulation should almost be assumed.
It doesn't work like that. 360 was a lot faster in a straight line than the mobile celeron in the Xbox. This console cannot hope to brute force the power PC instruction set.

Ryoku

From the specs, I'll conclude that Durango will have higher potential, but we'll see. More RAM over slightly more bandwidth all day, errday. Gulf between the GPUs is relatively small, though the PS4 does have an advantage in that regard.

Proxy

Is there any special sauce for the PS4?

However, there's a fair amount of "secret sauce" in Orbis and we can disclose details on one of the more interesting additions. Paired up with the eight AMD cores, we find a bespoke GPU-like "Compute" module, designed to ease the burden on certain operations - physics calculations are a good example of traditional CPU work that are often hived off to GPU cores. We're assured that this is bespoke hardware that is not a part of the main graphics pipeline but we remain rather mystified by its standalone inclusion, bearing in mind Compute functions could be run off the main graphics cores and that devs could have the option to utilise that power for additional graphical grunt, if they so chose.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/df-hardware-orbis-unmasked-what-to-expect-from-next-gen-console

eso76

I have no idea what this means but it sounds good

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Not only will his setup not be obselete, it will be without a doubt more powerful then what is going into the next Xbox.

A) The amount of cores make little different when the architecture is the CPU is not as good. Sandybridge/Ivybrdige destroy anything AMD offers, regardless of if it's 6 cores or what not. This will be no different. AMD does not have the capability of making anything on the level of Intel's last two CPU's.

B) 8gb of ram is once again, good for a gaming PC, but for little money you can get 16 or more gigs or very high performance ram.

C) I doubt, by far, that the card going into the "720" will compete with cards like ther 670/680. They get way to hot, and do not have the reliability needed for consoles.

D) Sometime in the spring you have Haswell launching with DDR4, new socket and tons of new things.

This isn't to say the spec's are not amazing for a console. Console games are often far more optimized then those on PC. The specs shown here are amazing for a console, and will be able to provide mind blowing results in games. I mean, the current consoles are working with hardware so obsolete I wouldn't use it as my home server as I could get better for less money. So this is a gigantic leap.

Disagree about the main memory. This is more like 8GB on your GPU, otherwise you're going across the slow PCI bus

tinfoilhatman

all of my posts are my avatar
It doesn't work like that. 360 was a lot faster in a straight line than the mobile celeron in the Xbox. This console cannot hope to brute force the power PC instruction set.

The same was said(by many) about the about 360 emulating Xbox yet here we are today, none of these systems are\were CPU constrained(for the most part), it was all about the GPU......in most cases an 8-core should be able to replicate the work achieved by the old 3 core 360 CPU(yes I know their not apples to apples) and some of that work may now be offloaded to the GPU.

Were not talking "emulation" as most people understand it(ie MAME) it will be handled by DirectX.....again I could be mistaken but I would be shocked if MS needed any major hardware additions to emulate 360 arcade games, a software recompile at best should be all thats required.

Sorry I should have specified arcade\downloadable games no disk based games.

Is there any special sauce for the PS4?

Of course there is.

tumblr_mb6vj1cqZP1qiqegzo1_500.gif

From the specs, I'll conclude that Durango will have higher potential, but we'll see. More RAM over slightly more bandwidth all day, errday. Gulf between the GPUs is relatively small, though the PS4 does have an advantage in that regard.

It seems like there's more then, "slightly more" bandwidth advantage in the PS4's favor. Time will tell I guess.

Top Bottom