• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGLeaks Durango specs: x64 8-core CPU @1.6GHz, 8GB DDR3 + 32MB ESRAM, 50GB 6x BD...

Ponn

Banned
I'm just catching up on the later pages of the thread - are people mainly arguing over whether Durango or Orbis will be more powerful, or is there actually deeper discussion afoot? It's hard to tell because everyone sure seems like an expert.

edit: for the record, mods, I did read the first 15 pages.

And the same discussion was had last time and for the most part we had parity. Will be the same thing this time with negligible differences if any. I always said before this current gen launched that there would be less exclusives but that would make them more important as the real difference. I feel that trend continuing.

Elios83

What do those move units do?

I guess they're buffers with fixed logic which make certain datas be readily available to specific components which need them without having to lose time waiting for store/fetch operations.
It's no magic, secret sauce, holy grail, things like that are widely known and used at a inner-level for pipelining.

Mario007

The same one that was brought up at B3D as a joke, then made the rounds around the net?

m-night-shyamalan.jpg

Guess that's the one. I'm a law student, not an hardware engineer so really I'm only learning these things as I go along.

1 was revealed for video encoding, likely for kinect feed. Another echo cancelation for kinect input. Other 2? I don't know where the 4th came from, but a blitter would make sense. Though a "blitter" like feature is already built into most GPUs.

This isn't true. I've been pretty much up to date on rumors and contribution from posters, and the data move engines aren't rumored to be spent on Kinect or audio or video encoding. Even from the vgleaks diagram, that wouldn't make sense, since it already alludes to 2 separate blocks that will take care of audio/video.

Rumor is 4 move units that are all meant to assist the GPU. With none of them being reserved for Kinect.

I think we should look at the "blitter" thing and extract the philosophy behind it, not what it actually is.

video encoder and echo cancellation are not part of the Data Move Engines (according to the diagram in the OP)

the whole blitter thing is just people running with the idea from a b3d thread on random possible hardware co-processors

They are separate chips.

durango_arq1.jpg

Data Move, Audio Codecs/MEC, Video Codecs

I don't see where the "4th" one is.

This isn't true. I've been pretty much up to date on rumors and contribution from posters, and the data move engines aren't rumored to be spent on Kinect or audio or video encoding. Even from the vgleaks diagram, that wouldn't make sense, since it already alludes to 2 separate blocks that will take care of audio/video.

Rumor is 4 move units that are all meant to assist the GPU. With none of them being reserved for Kinect.

I think we should look at the "blitter" thing and extract the philosophy behind it, not what it actually is.

My mistake was I never meant to imply that those mover units were for Kinect. I saw those 3 chips, 2 were for non-gpu related tasks.

I guess the "data mover engines" is 4 different things put together?

And the same discussion was had last time and for the most part we had parity. Will be the same thing this time with negligible differences if any. I always said before this current gen launched that there would be less exclusives but that would make them more important as the real difference. I feel that trend continuing.
Yeah, I guess "history repeats itself" is pretty much the only thing we need to think about instead of leaked specs or whatever. It seems to be working well for Nintendo with the Wii U. I feel all caught up now, thanks!

I don't see where the "4th" one is.

The move block is made of 4 units.

In the same sense that the large CPU block is made of 8 units, not 1.

I guess they're buffers with fixed logic which make certain datas readily available to specific components which need them without having to lose time waiting for store/fetch operations.
It's no magic, secret sauce, holy grail, things like that are widely known and used at a inner-level for pipelining.

There you go again with magic and etc. The point here is to understand how these will impact performance.

It is dully noted that there's no magic in the world, the holy grail is a myth, secret sauces are used by chefs and there's no silver bullet to turn durango into something capable of powering skynet. Now let's move on.

JaggedSac

1 was revealed for video encoding, likely for kinect feed. Another echo cancelation for kinect input. Other 2? I don't know where the 4th came from, but a blitter would make sense. Though a "blitter" like feature is already built into most GPUs.

According to proelite, aside from the 2 audio/video things, there are 4 engines in that 1 data move engines block in the diagram.

mistake was I never meant to imply that those mover units were for Kinect. I saw those 3 chips, 2 were for non-gpu related tasks.

I guess the "data mover engines" is 4 different things put together?

No problem.

Well I would also guess that these 4 units will be specialized in different aspects. But now we reach the point where it's clear who's a developer, or who's an hardware engineer (in this type of field).

I can't even begin to extrapolate something that makes sense in terms of hardware.

Ponn

Banned
Yeah, I guess "history repeats itself" is pretty much the only thing we need to think about instead of leaked specs or whatever. It seems to be working well for Nintendo with the Wii U. I feel all caught up now, thanks!

When leaked specs are again very close with little advantages here and there on BOTH consoles then yea. Gamewise both companies are trying to achieve the same thing while staying within a similar price range. We are bound to see similar results and the leaked specs show it. Its obvious we are going to see the same parity this gen with MS and Sony, But whatever, continue to argue the placement of the purple block in the diagram.

spwolf

Flops are generally measures of raw power. Not everything in graphics is FP limited so it doesn't tell the whole story. In this case you get a great idea because of the similar designs.

Honestly I don't put much worth in his posts. Frankly he claims to know to much, imo.

As for that post he's wrong. The eurogamer rumor isn't an extra "CU", as in what AMD quantifies its GPUs with, the rumor is an extra "bespoke GPU like compute unit" as in an entirely separate processor.

The 1.84TF does not include the aforementioned "Compute Unit". Its a 7970m downclocked to 800mhz and with 2 CUs removed. It also doesn't include the CPU flops.

most people "leaking" info dont know what are they talking about technically, so it is hard for me to trust them when they basically dont know 0 from 1.

szaromir

Banned
When leaked specs are again very close with little advantages here and there on BOTH consoles then yea. Gamewise both companies are trying to achieve the same thing while staying within a similar price range. We are bound to see similar results and the leaked specs show it. Its obvious we are going to see the same parity this gen with MS and Sony, But whatever, continue to argue the placement of the purple block in the diagram.
For me it's not obvious, it seems Sony are putting a better GPU in their machine than MS. You can't say it will be a wash because it was a wash the last time around, if one of the companies are aiming at higher spec they will have more powerful hardware.

But, no one has a simple idea of what the move engines do?.people that say it will increase the gpu performance say that withot knowing a single fact abot their utility?.

pr0cs

Its obvious we are going to see the same parity this gen with MS and Sony
It's way too early to make that call, as well as it's too early to say that one system is more powerful than the other.
It's a pointless exercise really. Until we see more concrete details and perhaps see information regarding dev tools and tech demos this thread and the Orbis one is a circle jerk and pissing match if you're here to debate one system's power over another.
Now is the worst time of the system wars, people waiving flags for their 'horse' when we know next to nothing about what either horse looks like.

For me it's not obvious, it seems Sony are putting a better GPU in their machine than MS. You can't say it will be a wash because it was a wash the last time around, if one of the companies are aiming at higher spec they will have more powerful hardware.

I don't understand why/how MS would use a lower spec GPU with some advance customization to allow it perform at a similar level to a higher spec GPU, rather than just use a higher spec GPU...I mean unless it is a cheaper option, but extra R&D would indicate it would be

Spongebob

Banned
Only thing we really know is that Durango and Orbis are close, to say other wise would be disregarding what thuway,proelite,lherre and aegies have said.

Funny enough many here were quick to believe thuway and proelite when they were saying that Orbis would have 4GB of GDDR5. Looking through that thread no one even stopped once to question that information. But when these same people come out and say that Durango and Orbis are close, suddenly you have people who don't want to believe that information. I think that says a lot about the agenda some of the people in this thread have.

spwolf

I don't understand why/how MS would use a lower spec GPU with some advance customization to allow it perform at a similar level to a higher spec GPU, rather than just use a higher spec GPU...I mean unless it is a cheaper option, but extra R&D would indicate it would be

its cheaper, period. allows them to spend extra money on kinect 2.0 and lower the price of overall package.

Spongebob

Banned
Also has everyone already forgotten about what Sweetvar26 said before? He stated that AMD felt that Durango would be more powerful, why has everyone suddenly forgotten about that?

Jadedx

Banned
Only thing we really know is that Durango and Orbis are close, to say other wise would be disregarding what thuway,proelite,lherre and aegies have said.

Funny enough many here were quick to believe thuway and proelite when they were saying that Orbis would have 4GB of GDDR5. Looking through that thread no one even stopped once to question that information. But when these same people come out and say that Durango and Orbis are close, suddenly you have people who don't want to believe that information. I think that says a lot about the agenda some of the people in this thread have.

You're not the same guy who was posting that the 720 was a set top box that could play games earlier in this thread.

Second thing; Erp works for sony so he is not that credible when it comes to durango news. (I remember something similar with a guy on b3d in 2005/6 who worked for ninja theory saying how much more powerful the ps3 was). Erp said he knows what it does and it is not game changing, but he does not have a full understanding of it, so he can not say that.

if that pool of memory is similar to L2 Cache performance you'd be looking at a cache miss dropping from 300+ GPU cycles to 10-20. Hiding 10-20 cycles is a lot easier than hiding 300.

It's not magical, but it sounds like it's pretty good for efficiency. It's not really bumping up the horsepower, but it's making the horsepower available more usable.

I believe Proelite also said there wouldn't be DDR3 for the PS4 OS and it would instead use some of the GDDR5 RAM, so he was probably already in some people's bad books for that.

You're not the same guy who was posting that the 720 was a set top box that could play games earlier in this thread.

Second thing; Erp works for sony so he is not that credible when it comes to durango news. (I remember something similar with a guy on b3d in 2005/6 who worked for ninja theory saying how much more powerful the ps3 was). Erp said he knows what it does and it is not game changing, but he does not have a full understanding of it, so he can not say that.

ERP is very credible. Hell, I always get the vibe he's more pro-MS whether he works for Sony or not. But mostly even handed.

The thing is I dont think it needs to be game changing. Currently Durango has more RAM and a 1.8-1.2 flop deficit. What if that deficit was in practice more like 1.8-1.5 thx to the DMA engines?

I think that would be all Durango needs to be competitive if not come out on top. A lot more RAM and a little less GPU=win.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Second thing; Erp works for sony so he is not that credible when it comes to durango news.

I think he's being pretty even-handed and realistic in his commentary about the eSRAM and data movers. His comments actually got me to re-examine my attitude to the memory setup a bit, as per an earlier post. Even if his comments are not hyperbolic, even they don't wax lyrical about 'game changers', they give credit, and give a much better explanation of why MS might have chosen to go with this type of setup and made the tradeoffs they vs the one in 360, than I've seen from anyone else. Everyone else has been vague on this stuff, he offers a pretty straight idea of the reasoning behind it.

What is with these posts? Is this 2005?

I just read 5 pages of Sony fans attempting to downplay the "special sauce" because they desperately want to believe what some other rumor said about Orbis being more powerful and Xbox fans defending something they don't have any facts about yet. It's 2013, baby! In other words, 2005 the Sequel. Good times for gamers, fun/hard time for forum mods.

Hana-Bi

Also has everyone already forgotten about what Sweetvar26 said before? He stated that AMD felt that Durango would be more powerful, why has everyone suddenly forgotten about that?

So, Django unchained as a gaming console confirmed by you? No cable box/tv tuner anymore?

Jadedx

Banned
Much slower ram than what's in the Sony console though

Does not matter, Esram and other parts will offset the workload. Freeing up the 68gb for games only. 192gb will be used for the post processing, cpu, frame buffer, etc. Durango is just like the 360, just with easier to use esram that can do more.

Top Bottom