• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGLeaks: PlayStation 4 "Orbis" Roadmap

Dev consoles might have more memory... wouldn't make sense for third and first parties to have different environments wrt the OS. Needs to do the same things for both.

By console, I meant it was an on screen overlay profiling system use statistics. I'm not sure if Vita devkits have a different amount of RAM from retail. I can't find it now, but I remember the discussion around the time being surprise at how much RAM games were being allowed to use.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
No. There's a link earlier in the thread, but someone explained how using the 4GB of GDDR5 as your main and video memory for games would cause the game to seize up whenever you had to use any kind of OS functionality and the OS was running in a slower, separate pool.

There's the software layers for the GameOS that a game calls directly, and then there's the 'OS' the game has nothing to do with, with non-gaming user-facing apps etc. If the OS needs memory to house those other apps, they could put put in a different pool of memory I think.

It is more components though, more complexity. I sort of doubt they'll have that kind of setup.

Elixist

specs sound pretty good, ill prolly go ps4 first , then xbox later, we'll see, god this wait for e3

sux da big penis. 149 days fuckers.

Hindle

Banned
Infamous 3 as a launch title is feasible. Some will say it will be a new IP from them but I'm thinking Sony will stick with known games at the start.

Elixist

Infamous 3 as a launch title is feasible. Some will say it will be a new IP from them but I'm thinking Sony will stick with known games at the start.

I hope not, i love SP's Sly games and Infamous is just so meh to me cant really put my finger

on it. I'd love to see wat they could do with like a cartoony open ended rpg or somethin.

Mrbob

I'm happy Infamous 3 wasn't made on PS3. Would love to see extra power go to fleshing out the world even more. Real time destruction during battles would be awesome.

Still curious how there would even be an infamous 3.

Alternate ending my friend.

I hope there are lots of new ips shown off when these things are shown. I liked the infamous series and lbp series this gen, but oddly enough I dont feel too interested in sequels to them any time soon.

Mrbob

I hope there are lots of new ips shown off when these things are shown. I liked the infamous series and lbp series this gen, but oddly enough I dont feel too interested in sequels to them any time soon.

I think we'll see a bunch of new IPs at launch. Infamous is the type of game you release sometime in year one or two as the install base grows.

I'm really looking forward to the rumored Ready at Dawn game. Don't know when it will be released, though.

z0m3le

Banned
The rumor is a 4 core probably steamroller based cpu iirc so that would be 8 threads

From OP:

PS4 "Orbis"
- AMD x86 3.2GHz APU Solution (Jaguar/Steamroller), 4 cores (2 core pairs), [Higher Clock than X720/Durango]
- Maybe AMD 8000 series GPU solution [Customised Solution Possibly utilising GPU + APU combo]
- 2-4GB GDDR5
- Launch Fall 2013/Early 2014

Explanation: PS4 has a higher clock, but less cores and is using an APU solution (CPU & GPU elements combined onto a single chip). The PS4 has less RAM but is using faster GDDR ram, so the overall performance should be a wash.

AMD's Threads per core, on every x64 chip they have ever built and every chip they plan to build on their official road map, including steamroller... Is single threaded cores, they do not do SMT, the core pairs pointed out in OP, is their idea of "dual threaded cores" which simply means that 2 physical cores have less physical parts to keep sizes down so you can have more cores in a die size. You could almost, almost... Call it a dual core with hyper threading.

TL;DR This rumor points to 4 cores, a total of 4 threads for the entire CPU on PS4.
It also points to 8Cores and 8Threads for XB3. Clocked at half speed, but are much smaller cores overall.

There are 2 endings on I2.

Choose the good one. Then make it several years ahead.

Um, no, an I3's rather impossible given that in one ending (spoilered just in case)
Cole turns evil, sides with the Beast, and allows the near-complete destruction of humanity
. So what, in I3, there's going to be 2 stories? One following on from when Cole
completely destroyed humanity
and one where
he didn't
? Because it doesn't seem to make sense either to skip ahead a few years and pretend that
humanity completely recovered after the Evil ending so that the world's the same despite whether the Good or Evil ending happened

infamous was a slow burn for me but eventually it became my favorite PS3 game and so did infamous 2. The powers were fun to use and traversing around the city was a blast!

but the series didn't really take off...I guess Sucker Punch is working on a new ip.

coldfoot

Banned
Still can't believe that MS will use multiple 1.6 GHz cores. Devs would prefer a single 10 Ghz core over 10 1Ghz cores assuming same IPC for both.

Zeroth

Um, no, an I3's rather impossible given that in one ending (spoilered just in case)
Cole turns evil, sides with the Beast, and allows the near-complete destruction of humanity
. So what, in I3, there's going to be 2 stories? One following on from when Cole
and one where
he didn't
? Because it doesn't seem to make sense either to skip ahead a few years and pretend that
humanity completely recovered after the Evil ending so that the world's the same despite whether the Good or Evil ending happened

I remember the creators stated they would always use the good ending for sequels. Not sure what was the justification, but this was their explanation for why Infamous 2 uses Infamous' good ending and only it.

Its been a while since i played it but how comes people are saying they couldnt do a new Infamous? I seem to remember that
yeah Cole died, but after the credits you see Zeke taking Coles body out to sea, then the boat is struck by lighting, obviously hinting/showing that he was brought back?

and one where
he didn't

Exactly. I'm still confused how they keep making new Tekkens when I beat the game with the boss character that destroys the world in each one.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Still can't believe that MS will use multiple 1.6 GHz cores. Devs would prefer a single 10 Ghz core over 10 1Ghz cores assuming same IPC for both.

Well MS is on the SOC bandwagon. Much easier to build a SOC with lower powered small CPUs. The jaguar is only 3.1 MM at 28nm it is tiny and has a very low TDP. Helps them keep the TDP down and they can even include an extra 1 or 2 for redundancy to help with yields. Also 1-2 will be exclusive to the OS so it will either be the same amount of threads they have now in a xbox 360 game or there is 1 more to make use of. Sure you can put a big ass CPU in the SOC but then you have to cut it out of the GPU budget.

So I'm reading the OP, clicking the links and so on, and I'm not really seeing much revealing info. The rumored specs part of the OP is mostly stuff we already know and forum conjecture. The main subject of the OP (the product roadmap) doesn't give us any info, either. Anyone could have typed that up. Am I correct thinking this thread is just a rumor round-up type of thing and not much new info. I'm surprised it broke 1k

Verendus

Banned
I believe that but U2 had longer legs because of its critical success. I'd love to see the lifetime sales of UC2 vs UC3; KZ2 vs KZ3.
UC1 is sitting around the 3-4 million sales mark.

UC2 was just over 5 million sales as of the end of 2011. Don't have any other updated figure.

UC: Golden Abyss is sitting between 1-2 million.

Considering the series sales were around 17.3 million earlier in 2012, and even with the sales increase the earlier titles probably received from UC3's release, it's safe to say UC3 likely holds around 6 million at least.

There's no doubt it outperformed UC2 and is the best selling in the series. If UC2 managed to break 6 to 7 million, it'd be a pretty amazing achievement and some serious legs a whole 3 years after release.

Tagg9

I believe that but U2 had longer legs because of its critical success. I'd love to see the lifetime sales of UC2 vs UC3; KZ2 vs KZ3.

There are no precise numbers for Uncharted 3, but we can extrapolate that UC3 sales have overtaken UC2.

- Uncharted sold ~3 million copies as of December 2011.
- Uncharted 2 sold 5 million copies as of December 2011.
- Uncharted 3 sold 3.8 million copies as of November 2011 (first month sales).

- Lifetime sales as of April 2012, the Uncharted series has shipped 17.5 million. It's likely that Uncharted 1/2 each sold an additional million units in the past year, which would put Uncharted 3 at ~7 million.

http://www.jp.playstation.com/info/release/nr_20111004_uncharted3.html
http://www.gamespot.com/news/uncharted-3-sells-38-million-copies-6344707?tag=topstory;title

Jadedx

Banned

HEAT!!
Why do you think no one sells processor that are over 3.5ghz? The thing would melt most motherboards. It is better to have multiple cores than 1 very fast core.

Also why are people thinking that MS is going to use off the shelf ddr3 desktop memory? When the rumor says ddr3 it could mean the same gddr4 memory running at the same clock speed as the 360. From what I've been taught Gddr, 4, and 5 are all based upon ddr3 architecture. While gddr3 is based on ddr2.

Edit: made a change.

x3sphere

A processor with a single 10 GHz core doesn't even exist, so...

Anyway, all modern engines are designed to scale across multiple cores now.

Nachtmaer

HEAT!!
Why do you think no one sells processor that are over 3.5ghz? The thing would melt most motherboards. It is better to have multiple cores than 1 very fast core.

Even though TDP is an important factor, it's slightly more complicated than that. Putting it simply, frequency and IPC are closely related to each other. A low IPC CPU is able run at higher frequencies than a high IPC CPU. The problem with low IPC/high frequency CPUs is that you easily hit the TDP roof. A perfect example for this case is what Intel wanted to do with the Pentium 4 (and also AMD with Bulldozer).

But like you said, it's easier to implement more cores into a CPU than making them beefier.

I barely know anything about programming (games), but I do know that it is not easy to make certain games multithreaded. Then again, consoles do much more than just running games nowadays (VoIP, stores and all that stuff). The more cores you have, the easier to it is to multitask.

Overall the key is to balance everything out.

I remember the creators stated they would always use the good ending for sequels. Not sure what was the justification, but this was their explanation for why Infamous 2 uses Infamous' good ending and only it.

I'd thought that I2 was supposed to follow on from either ending to the original, given that the difference between the Good/Evil endings was so small. Come to think of it, the opening scene of I2 doesn't even make clear which ending it's following on from.

and one where
he didn't

they can retcon the ending to whatever they want :D and yeah, they can also choose the good ending to be canon. OR just have a new protagonist. The "use save game from infamous 1" did not affect that many things in Infamous 2, although it is a feature i would love to see in many other games too besides Mass Effect.

AAK

Exactly. I'm still confused how they keep making new Tekkens when I beat the game with the boss character that destroys the world in each one.

Jin Kazama wins every Tekken... world gets destroyed with Jinpachi, Ogre, Devil Jin, etc. endings.

eot

Banned
It better not have 2GB RAM, that's unimaginably low. Anything under 8GB would just lead to the same situation as this gen way too quickly.

By the looks of it, the hardware in both the Xbox 720 and Orbis are going to be so damn similar to each other that there will be very little to differentiate between the two systems. It is really going to come down to what first party exclusives you like more and which controller you prefer when choosing a next generation console. Third party games are probably going to be pretty equal on both machines with the deciding factor being with company has the better development tools to work with (most likely MS). This is going to be HD twins part deux: even more twinsier.

By the looks of it, the hardware in both the Xbox 720 and Orbis are going to be so damn simaler to each other that there will be very little to differentiate between the two systems. It is really going to come down to what first party exclusives you like more and which controller you prefer when choosing a next generation console. Third party games are probably going to be pretty equal on both machines with the deciding factor being with company has the better development tools to work with (most likely MS). HD twins part deux: even more twinsier.

no still too early to say stuff like this....

no still too early to say stuff like this....

yeah, you're right.

But with both companies using the same hardware vender for both their GPU and CPU, both these machines will much closer to each other than the Xbox 360 and PS3 hardware ever were. On the plus side, this will be great for multiplatform games. API's aside, third parties will probably doing a lot less work next generation to port a game from one platform over to the other.

spwolf

By the looks of it, the hardware in both the Xbox 720 and Orbis are going to be so damn similar to each other that there will be very little to differentiate between the two systems. It is really going to come down to what first party exclusives you like more and which controller you prefer when choosing a next generation console. Third party games are probably going to be pretty equal on both machines with the deciding factor being with company has the better development tools to work with (most likely MS). This is going to be HD twins part deux: even more twinsier.

it doesnt look like it though.... one has a lot of cores, lots of ram and other has less cores, less ram but both at higher speeds.

while they both use x86 cpu's and AMD cards, they are not that similar at all! They are as different as they could be.

Top Bottom