• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGLeaks: PlayStation 4 "Orbis" Roadmap

All right, maybe this is the right place to finally ask this question; why was $599 such an awful price/moment? It's because there were no games to play on the machine, right? Or do people just think $600 is too much no matter what? Even if there is a $500 option like there was with the PS3?

If PS4 launches with an amazing lineup of games, is $600 really too much?

The 599 was a horrible price because the X360 was available since 2005 and offered comparable gaming performance for a significant smaller cost.

moe6142

Banned
Do people actually think the console will be 599?
considering the disaster with the ps3.... Sony really must be really out of it, to do that gain

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
All right, maybe this is the right place to finally ask this question; why was $599 such an awful price/moment? It's because there were no games to play on the machine, right? Or do people just think $600 is too much no matter what? Even if there is a $500 option like there was with the PS3?

If PS4 launches with an amazing lineup of games, is $600 really too much?
It's an incredibly restrictive price, even among enthusiasts. I'll probably drop a shitload of money on next gen console launch but $599 would kill my ability to get more than a game or two with it.

I'm thinking that we'll have $399/$449 configurations at launch.

I think PS4 will use a version of the Playstation OS. Thus I think it might have Vita SOC for that.

http://new.livestream.com/TheVerge/events/1779987/videos/8946270

The fact he went out and specifically pointed out the Playstation OS makes me think that they'll have a smaller SOC to handle OS duties. What better thing to use than the Vita SOC. This will also allow them to have better economies of scale with the Vita and PS orbis.

What do you guys think?

yurinka

PS4
4GB GDDR5 RAM
400GB HDD
4 Core CPU
$499

Launch Window Line Up
Uncharted 4
Killzone 4
4 new IP's
How about a Gran Turismo 4K? A refurbished 4K version of a previous one, let's say GT4 or GT5, as they didn for the PS3 launch. It'd be a tease for GT6 Prologue, to be launched months later.

Duffyside

Banned
The 599 was a horrible price because the X360 was available since 2005 and offered comparable gaming performance for a significant smaller cost.

Didn't the 360 launch at $500? There was a PS3 SKU at $500 too. I think if Sony had any games it wouldn't have been a big deal. I think people were just screaming "to play WHAT?" Really, if PS4 launches with Uncharted and Gran Turismo and a new Sucker Punch IP, I'd be willing to pay $600.

Though I think we're all get a little carried away with our hopes.

Didn't the 360 launch at $500? There was a PS3 SKU at $500 too. I think if Sony had any games it wouldn't have been a big deal. I think people were just screaming "to play WHAT?" Really, if PS4 launches with Uncharted and Gran Turismo and a new Sucker Punch IP, I'd be willing to pay $600.

Though I think we're all get a little carried away with our hopes.

It was 399 and 299

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360_launch

Derrick01

Banned
Do people actually think the console will be 599?
considering the disaster with the ps3.... Sony really must be really out of it, to do that gain

I think they'll both be $400 with both companies trying to find ways to subsidize the loss they'll take by putting it at that price. Whether it's MS digging into the funds Xbox Live subs bring in or PS+, something like that.

As for the launch window I would caution people not to hype themselves up too much with uncharted, killzone and all that stuff. Sony has never had their big stuff geared up in the first 6 months.

I think they'll both be $400 with both companies trying to find ways to subsidize the loss they'll take by putting it at that price. Whether it's MS digging into the funds Xbox Live subs bring in or PS+, something like that.

As for the launch window I would caution people not to hype themselves up too much with uncharted, killzone and all that stuff. Sony has never had their big stuff geared up in the first 6 months.

I think there must be a must have game and stream of games that cater to specific gamers.

Mario007

They did learn for Vita though, having Uncharted, LBP and Gravity Rush in the first 6 months of the system being released, so there is hope yet.

iceatcs

Yeah, they need spread the 1st party schedule dates.

Take one or two big name with numbers of new IPs at launch. 1 or 2 AAA in next 6 months. And then 2 to 4 every year.

Sony should launch with Uncharted 4, next-gen CoD, yearly iterations of sports game with updated graphics, and games like SingStar and Just Dance for a diverse launch lineup. I would buy UC4, CoD, and Fifa right off the bat.

Derrick01

Banned
I think there must be a must have game and stream of games that cater to specific gamers.

Well Sony's never had a must have game at launch, although I'm sure they thought differently each time with stuff like Resistance. They're usually not one to rush out a big game from one of their big teams if they don't feel that the game is ready. They're big believers in the long term.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Well Sony's never had a must have game at launch, although I'm sure they thought differently each time with stuff like Resistance. They're usually not one to rush out a big game from one of their big teams if they don't feel that the game is ready. They're big believers in the long term.
Their teams have had a long time to work on new games this time around. I think launch will be something from a smaller team with the more recognizeable devs coming a few months down the line.

They are, which is a good thing, however with the Vita they went with 1 first party showcase title, which serves as a good benchmark for expectations wrt the PS4.

Derrick01

Banned
Their teams have had a long time to work on new games this time around. I think launch will be something from a smaller team with the more recognizeable devs coming a few months down the line.

That's true. I'm betting Sucker Punch's new IP will be the launch game, similar to Insomniac getting the call to duty this generation. And then within the first calendar year (assuming PS4 launches this fall) we'll get either ND's next game (which we assume is Uncharted 4) or Guerrilla's.

omonimo

Banned
My prediction: will sell the console more affordable not the more powerful, just looks to the past, never happens the most powerful has sold better; to both needs to have an economic model because the solely 399$ could struggle for the first 2 years, considering the economy. I hope sony not will gives the advantage to microsoft for the cheaper model because will be 2006 again.

Iacobellis

Wouldn't you guys want an SSD at launch, like 128GB? Unless you're throwing heft amounts of media on day one, there won't be that many games to need a 320GB+ storage capacity for the first year or two.

B.O.O.M

As much as I'd like Infamous 3 (with open-world multiplayer, "loadouts" but with powers instead of guns -- ice, electricity, earth, fire, etc -- and more objectives than just kill-that-guy, like races, and king of the hill on top of a building), if Sucker Punch and Sony are smart they're making a vampire game in an Infamous-like way. Open-world and climbing buildings, but it's in an 18th century English village instead of a modern city.

Festival of Blood was incredibly successful, and the vampire thing seems to be a no-miss these days. It's also not something we've seen in a long time for games, if ever in an open-world sense. I think it would be a big hit, and Sucker Punch seems poised to be able to handle it after FoB.

I say all this hating vampires and not liking FoB. But you can't argue with sales.

Excellent idea. Isn't it funny though? Two of the most popular trends in mainstream media, zombies and vampires. Yes only zombies are getting the most attention in video games nowadays. Can't think of a great new IP about vampires this gen. Infamous FOB was amazing. Had a blast with that one

I just took a look at the Sucker Punch website to see if there was anything new. Not sure if I'm remembering wrong but in the link below:

http://www.suckerpunch.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=91

In one of the scrolling pictures a guy is playing/working on a game that I was sure was pixelated out a couple of months ago.

Probably from one of the Infamous games but am not sure because I see a Batman like figure behind the female character on-screen!

Pretty sure that's IF: FOB

My prediction: will sell the console more affordable not the powerful, just looks to the past, never happens the most powerful has sold better; to both need to have an economic model because the solely 399$ could struggle for the first 2 years, considering the economy. I hope sony give the advantage to microsoft the cheaper model because will be 2006 again.

They should use a subscription model to lower the initial price of the console. We all know that MSFT will do the same.

They should use a subscription model to lower the initial price of the console. We all know that MSFT will do the same.

Well for Sony they have PS+ , which wouldnt be all too worthwhile on day 1 unless they have BC in some form and could offer "best of PS3" titles, otherwise they'd probably would want to wait a while like with Vita before starting up the sub service, which does them no good as a sku at launch.

Wouldn't you guys want an SSD at launch, like 128GB? Unless you're throwing heft amounts of media on day one, there won't be that many games to need a 320GB+ storage capacity for the first year or two.

I just hope they keep us with options to upgrade on our own and dont go proprietary.

Zoe

I'd rather they put a cheap drive in there for that can be swapped with any drive off the shelf.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Sounds great to me, but I have serious concerns that today's market will fully grasp/support two similar systems. Going to be interesting to see what happens.

spwolf

How about a Gran Turismo 4K? A refurbished 4K version of a previous one, let's say GT4 or GT5, as they didn for the PS3 launch. It'd be a tease for GT6 Prologue, to be launched months later.

i am sure they will have "remastered" versions of PS3 games with better graphics, resolution and framerates... but 4K itself doesnt make sense.

Tagg9

i am sure they will have "remastered" versions of PS3 games with better graphics, resolution and framerates... but 4K itself doesnt make sense.

GT5 was already in faux 1080p - the average consumer would notice no difference otherwise.

iamvin22

Industry Verified
Sony should launch with Uncharted 4, next-gen CoD, yearly iterations of sports game with updated graphics, and games like SingStar and Just Dance for a diverse launch lineup. I would buy UC4, CoD, and Fifa right off the bat.

THIS X1000!!!

sony needs to change the image of uncharted and ingrain drake into family homes. i bought uncharted 2 for two of my brothers and they said they love how you can have everyone in the family sit around and play it together like a interactive movie for the family.

cod in the first month is vital. a mlb game which is pretty much exclusive to sony needs to be day 1. euro has to have a singstar day 1 with twitter, facebook and youtube video uploads. just dance has to have 1 for 1 parity with xbox on day 1. no more "only on kinect". psn and psn+ has to match or be better then xbox live.

meta4

THIS X1000!!!

sony needs to change the image of uncharted and ingrain drake into family homes. i bought uncharted 2 for two of my brothers and they said they love how you can have everyone in the family sit around and play it together like a interactive movie for the family.

cod in the first month is vital. a mlb game which is pretty much exclusive to sony needs to be day 1. euro has to have a singstar day 1 with twitter, facebook and youtube video uploads. just dance has to have 1 for 1 parity with xbox on day 1. no more "only on kinect". psn and psn+ has to match or be better then xbox live.

Uncharted is pretty darn popular now. They do have the potential to make it bigger though and it should be atleast within the launch window if not a launch title.

xJavonta

Banned
PS3 launched at over $1000 in Australia. It was brutal.

That's ridiculous.

Pricing is their biggest hurdle, IMO. I was talking to a few friends about how the 360 is really long in the tooth and they said stuff like "I don't know, bro. I still think the graphics look really good" and "I've invested a lot in my 360 already, I don't really want a new console"

Ugh.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Uncharted 4 won't be coming at launch. Probably a year later in Fall of 2014.

Naughty Dog is just releasing the Last of Us this year, and Fall 2014 would give the Uncharted team about 3 years of full development.

It's expected that next-gen games need to get rebooted/revamped and that will take extra time. I see them spending 3 years to develop Uncharted 4.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

Naughty Dog is just releasing the Last of Us this year, and Fall 2014 would give the Uncharted team about 3 years of full development.

It's expected that next-gen games need to get rebooted/revamped and that will take extra time. I see them spending 3 years to develop Uncharted 4.
Agreed. ND was pretty open about not wanting to rush again after Uncharted 3 and on top of that they'll need to build a new engine. Sony will also want to give them as much time as they need make a real showpiece game.

Guerrilla I think has the strongest chance of their highly visually proficient studios to have something for launch. They did say that 2013 was going to be their biggest year since the launch of the first Killzone and I don't think they're just referring to Mercenary. If not at launch I can see them having something in March 2014 since Sony usually likes to have a big title in March.

That sounds weak imo.

Maybe I wasn't clear enough, but those are the games I'm hoping you can buy with your console from day 1.

I think that lineup offers a little bit for everyone while satisfying the core gamer with two massive, well-recognized AAA titles.

Sony should space out there first-party titles (there will be plenty in the launch window) IMO.

So I ask, why does that lineup sound weak, and can you remember a stronger launch lineup than this?

Edit: Let ask you this as well, since it just dawned on me that UC4 will 99% not be ready for day 1, what first-party title would you have replace it?

Kaako

Felium Defensor

Definitely. I'll be shocked to be honest if we see Uncharted 4 even close to laugh window. The games that I'm quite looking forward to next gen are new IPs from established dev houses. Bring something fresh to the table please.

Valnen

That's ridiculous.

Pricing is their biggest hurdle, IMO. I was talking to a few friends about how the 360 is really long in the tooth and they said stuff like "I don't know, bro. I still think the graphics look really good" and "I've invested a lot in my 360 already, I don't really want a new console"

Ugh.

And that is why some form of BC is necessary, especially with downloadable titles. Some people have bought a LOT on XBL/PSN, and if people will lose access to that stuff down the line they'll stop being customers.

That's ridiculous.

Ugh.

Eh, While 720 and ps4 should be a reasonable price, I think people like your friends aren't the type who will jump any time soon regardless of price. BC would really help the latter comment though, so i hope microsoft and sony are taking note.

Duffyside

Banned
I want an SSD. Badly. I think if one of the console makers is smart enough to put it in, that could potentially make a huge difference.

They should balance the cost by going surprisingly small on their initial harddrives. Maybe even a 100GB. Wouldn't be bad if they allowed you to easily and cheaply upgrade on your own. Doubtful many people would run out of space during the first year anyway.

Orayn

I want an SSD. Badly. I think if one of the console makers is smart enough to put it in, that could potentially make a huge difference.

They should balance the cost by going surprisingly small on their initial harddrives. Maybe even a 100GB. Wouldn't be bad if they allowed you to easily and cheaply upgrade on your own. Doubtful many people would run out of space during the first year anyway.

A hybrid drive would be the best of both worlds, really. The flash portion could be used for caching purposes, and you get great storage value on the rest of it.

Valnen

SSD prices have dropped a considerable amount in the past few years. The price to performance ratio is astounding, I would a take 256GB drive with 500MB/sec read and write speeds any day over the ~100MB/sec transfer speeds of a 2TB disk.

You wouldn't be able to fit very much next gen content on a 256GB drive.

Top Bottom