• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGLeaks: PlayStation 4 "Orbis" Roadmap

quest

Not Banned from OT
I don't see great ram and large SSD drives happening. I just think they'll do a 128/250 GB of HDD models.

I think you will see larger drives than that because of the push for DD. I see like 250/500 for base and premium models. I see sony really pushing PS+ and you need a large drive for that if the targe for all games is bluray in size.

I think you will see larger drives than that because of the push for DD. I see like 250/500 for base and premium models. I see sony really pushing PS+ and you need a large drive for that if the targe for all games is bluray in size.

I also expect this , the biggest HDD you see in PS3 will be normal for PS4 if they have 2 version of the system .

Iacobellis

Is the Vita doom and gloom just a joke at this point? I haven't followed the Vita not even once since it launched and honestly don't have any idea of its success until hearing about its amazing launch lineup right now.

If Sony had launched it in 2010, then it would be faring better.

I like BC because i like everything in one. I don't want to have another machine there and also sometimes it enhances the visuals. Anyways all the digital games are being put in the store so i am sure those will be in your account when you transfer it to the next system. Vita plays psp and ps1 games that you bought in the past.
I got some bad news for you. This will not be the case.

I hope people know, when people say no BC, they mean completely. No retail or digital.

Respawn

Banned
Interesting that Sony will be the one with the more conventional, off-the-shelf PC processor while Microsoft will be going for the more n-threaded, more and smaller cores approach.

Industry is weird yo.

EDIT: Also bodes well for current PC's to have good multiplat support right out the gate if these engines have to run on Sony's x86 quad core.
what heck are you typing about?

Good system, good games, bad support and bad timing.

I'd say it also has a niche target demographic (and misguided marketing directed towards said demographic) and less than stellar pricing both in hardware(and accessories) and games(this is also a 3ds problem obviously) , most of the good and great games aren't things that would appeal to mainstream demographics, though they do appeal to people like me a great deal.

Is it confirmed or you are just saying if there is none?

No confirmation but in the other thread, they're adamant that there will be no BC, retail or digital. If you think about it it makes sense. In either case you're still using the PS3 hardware to run the software. Why would one work and not the other?

ugoo18

Is the Vita doom and gloom just a joke at this point? I haven't followed the Vita not even once since it launched and honestly don't have any idea of its success until hearing about its amazing launch lineup right now.

More or less sent to die against a 3DS that was just starting to ramp up saleswise.

Wynnebeck

Banned
More or less sent to die against a 3DS that was just starting to ramp up saleswise.

No I wouldn't even call it that. The 3DS price cut right before launch definitely made the Vita look too expensive and then the proprietary memory cards just made things worse. Sony's reluctance to drop prices is killing it currently at the moment as we just had a drop in sales from Nov to Dec.

quest

Not Banned from OT
If i understand correctly ps3 is modified hardware right? Wasn't ps2 also the same and you can play them on ps3 even on the slims by download?

The launch 60 and 20 gig had full PS2 hardware on board. The follow up 80 gig had the graphics unit of the PS2 and emulated the CPU. Units after that had no backwards compatibility with the PS2.

ugoo18

No I wouldn't even call it that. The 3DS price cut right before launch definitely made the Vita look too expensive and then the proprietary memory cards just made things worse. Sony's reluctance to drop prices is killing it currently at the moment as we just had a drop in sales from Nov to Dec.

It was released a couple of days after Mario kart 7 and after Monster Hunter Tri G in December in Japan.

If that isn't sending something to die in Japan then i don't know what else would qualify.

EDIT: The 3DS price drop definitely did affect it as well. Nintendo essentially pulled a reverse of what Sony did during the GCN launch in Japan.

The launch 60 and 20 gig had full PS2 hardware on board. The follow up 80 gig had the graphics unit of the PS2 and emulated the CPU. Units after that had no backwards compatibility with the PS2.

Yea but you can play the ps2 classics that are available to download on the slim? how come?

Striek

Huh, I never knew they had PS2 games on PSN that weren't the HD collection variety. My bad. Interesting they didn't advertise that fact a bit more.

androvsky

Huh, I never knew they had PS2 games on PSN that weren't the HD collection variety. My bad. Interesting they didn't advertise that fact a bit more.

It was never formally announced, the first we heard of it was when they snuck a mention of it at the bottom of a PS+ blog post. I think they were worried about people getting mad that they're not enabling emulation of existing PS2 discs.

MS need a system seller game. Really with this type of schedule, they gotta be targeting a Halo 2 anniversary type game.

Fuck it Im calling it.

Halo 2 anniversary November 2014
Halo 5 November 2015

aganu

I wonder how both consoles will look like. I want them to have a simple, minimal design with straight lines a la PS2 Slim. Bored of curves.

I think it'd be cool if the PS4 looked just like the original Playstation, except bigger of course and black in color. A big black box shape thing like that would just seem so powerful and would give off the vibe of being a monster of a console.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
No confirmation but in the other thread, they're adamant that there will be no BC, retail or digital. If you think about it it makes sense. In either case you're still using the PS3 hardware to run the software. Why would one work and not the other?

Digital back compat is the most important for consumer confidence in the Store, I think. Supporting discs not so.

Also: Why are there two threads discussing the same stuff? Makes it a pain to keep track of.

Nah. The platform is basically dead in the water. Not like, "they could turn this ship around" dead, more like "it's done for" dead. The sales numbers are historically bad.

Ultimately it's a platform that the market simply has no desire for. It's somewhat baffling that Sony would have even put the platform out, but I guess their arrogance prevented them from seeing the writing on the wall.

Nah. The platform is basically dead in the water. Not like, "they could turn this ship around" dead, more like "it's done for" dead. The sales numbers are historically bad.

Ultimately it's a platform that the market simply has no desire for. It's somewhat baffling that Sony would have even put the platform out, but I guess their arrogance prevented them from seeing the writing on the wall.

They launched it because it's the successor to the PSP and Japan has a hard-on for portables and bought like 20 million of them and despite being deemed a "failure" a lot, it sold like 70 million units worldwide. The PSP was 7 years old and Nintendo had launched the 3DS $250 themselves, so Sony announced the same price at that time for a more hardware capable device; some arrogance.

What were they going to do? Not follow up on the PSP when it made them money?

The handheld market is majorly dominated by kids. Kids want nintendos. I know i did when i was younger. It really is that simple and explains the sales statistics of both systems.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
I CANNOT wait to see Killzone 4 running on PS4. Jesus Christ, this is way too much I need a moment...life is so surreal right now with next gen being right around the corner and folks chomping at the bit to spew info. Hopefully PS4 will be as promising as specs and our hopes lead us to believe. Also I think I may just jump in for PS+ this gen. The only things Sony needs now are a good pricepoint (with great specs of course), a solid launch lineup with great games being released at increasing momentum and backwards compatibility. All my wishes would come true

Reiko

Banned
I CANNOT wait to see Killzone 4 running on PS4. Jesus Christ, this is way too much I need a moment...life is so surreal right now with next gen being right around the corner and folks chomping at the bit to spew info. Hopefully PS4 will be as promising as specs and our hopes lead us to believe. Also I think I may just jump in for PS+ this gen. The only things Sony needs now are a good pricepoint (with great specs of course), a solid launch lineup with great games being released at increasing momentum and backwards compatibility. All my wishes would come true

Preview

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ko9xC6TMdiw

(We just had to wait an entire gen)

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
pharmboy044 said:
I think they figured out how to emulate those particular games.
There are well over 50 PS2 games on PSN stores by now, they emulate the hw, not games. I agree this has no bearing on PS3 BC, but PS2 has been properly emulated on PS3 - let's move on from trying to find excuses for it.

Yea but you can play the ps2 classics that are available to download on the slim? how come?

Sony apparently has a working PS2 emulator for the PS3, the thing is games have to be checked on a game to game basis to make sure it passes muster for releases as we all know PS2 hardware is quite exotic which is quite different from HD releases. When we thought the PS3 emulation was impossible, apparently Sony didn't stop trying and are much further along than we thought.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
Preview

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ko9xC6TMdiw

(We just had to wait an entire gen)

That'd be hilarious if Guerilla actually went through with that. They showed KZ2's cg debut running entirely on PS4 in complete realtime and then after that ended we'd be treated to the actual KZ4 reveal with it being played live. It'd be a nice way of saying "this is PS4 and this is what it can do, and this is a launch game/only the beginning."

Reiko

Banned
That'd be hilarious if Guerilla actually went through with that. They showed KZ2's cg debut running entirely on PS4 in complete realtime and then after that ended we'd be treated to the actual KZ4 reveal with it being played live. It'd be a nice way of saying "this is PS4 and this is what it can do, and this is a launch game/only the beginning."

Perfect.

z0m3le

Banned
Not anymore. Down to 4 cores. Latest info in Durango thread. Take nothing as concrete though remember we all speculating at what's thrown at us.

That doesn't change this FACT at all:
z0m3le said:
TL;DR This rumor points to 4 cores, a total of 4 threads for the entire CPU on PS4.
It also points to 8Cores and 8Threads for XB3. Clocked at half speed, but are much smaller cores overall.

IE, if PS4 ends up with a 4 core AMD processor, it will have 4 threads. That is simply the reality of AMD's Processors, they do not do multiple threads on a single core, and in some ways the 4 cores end up with less resources than previous AMD architectures, because they share components in "modules" which are 2 cores that share a "body", that is what the OP mentioned with "2 paired cores"

Norml

The game came close enough http://youtu.be/eFh1o2DVhcs?t=13s

They need to do something else really cool though that makes you think it's CG and then when it's over and crowd goes bonkers, show it's realtime by playing around with at least the camera to prove it.

Top Bottom