• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGLeaks: PlayStation 4 "Orbis" Roadmap

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Worldwide or bust. Either that or Japan, and then US+Europe less than a month later.

Seems more likely they would want to hit the US as one of the first locations along with Japan, whether it will hit the EU at the same time or not the US is where they are behind the most and where they need to step it up. I see the EU getting put back again like we did with the PS3, the UK is the only big EU country where they don't outsell the 360, so I can imagine them leaving us till later regardless of how long it is with the hope that again they would catch up.

Ideally it will be world wide though, lol.

Melchiah

Seems more likely they would want to hit the US as one of the first locations along with Japan, whether it will hit the EU at the same time or not the US is where they are behind the most and where they need to step it up. I see the EU getting put back again like we did with the PS3, the UK is the only big EU country where they don't outsell the 360, so I can imagine them leaving us till later regardless of how long it is with the hope that again they would catch up.

Ideally it will be world wide though, lol.

I wish they'd do like Microsoft and Nintendo, and concentrate on serving their strongest markets, and release in Europe first.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I,m not expecting a worldwide launch as they've never done one, it'll either be Japan or US+Japan in December or something.

If need be I can see them just launching in US and Europe this fall and waiting until early 2014 for Japan. It's not like Japan is much of a console market anymore, their holiday season doesn't revolve around Christmas, and Microsoft is totally DoA over there.

Melchiah

Europe is used to waiting, being the early bird doesn't really have an affect on market position there.

Unfortunately. The last time stung bad, as the US market got the better wholly backwards compatible models, whereas we got stripped partly backwards compatible models four months later, and had to pay the same price (or more, if you calculate the currency difference) for a worse product.

Iacobellis

Unfortunately. The last time stung bad, as the US market got the better wholly backwards compatible models, whereas we got stripped partly backwards compatible models four months later, and had to pay the same price (or more, if you calculate the currency difference) for a worse product.

No, I think Europe got the same bundles as the US did.

I can't see them ignoring the US market, as the biggest market and with sales very concentrated in the Holidays.

I can't see Andrew House, coming from SCEE and now heading SCEI, ignoring the European market i.e. their strongest market.

And I can't see Sony as a Japanese company ignoring the Japanese market.

Hmm.

Iacobellis

Did anyone know people when they were kids, that said things like "I've got a PS2" etc before it was even announced, those people are hilarious.

HAHA, I totally remember being in like 1st or 2nd grade (I am a junior in high school now), and some kid would randomly say like "I have a PS3". I totally forgot about this until now, haha.

Duffyside

Banned
My tablet-with-docks idea is so good, you guys. :(

And here I hoped I would come home to find a PM from Kaz Hirai offering me VP gig...

i-Lo

Pertaining to steamroller and Jaguar cores and which one may be selected, what are the devs developing for PS4 simulating right now? Or is the jaguar in PS4 supposed to be as effective as steamroller? Given console games are developed to a target spec, isn't this a pretty big unknown for developers?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Pertaining to steamroller and Jaguar cores and which one may be selected, what are the devs developing for PS4 simulating right now? Or is the jaguar in PS4 supposed to be as effective as steamrollers? Given console games are developed to a target spec, isn't this a pretty big unknown for developers?
If they're going to be using Steamroller I would guess they're using Piledriver right now. If Jaguar cores can go up to the 3.2GHz speed then I think they'll go with those since they're pretty efficent, cool, and don't use much power.

THE:MILKMAN

I don't want the RAM in the PS4 compromised to go to the OS. So maybe we could get some extra RAM. And the Durango RAM is missing something in the RAM amounts, or maybe the type.

Unfortunately, everything is a compromise. If the memory specs are true, Microsoft are going larger amount but slower and Sony are going smaller but faster.

OS overheads are a pain. Especially if Sony does use unified GDDR5.......seems such a waste to use such fast memory for the OS.

i-Lo

If they're going to be using Steamroller I would guess they're using Piledriver right now. If Jaguar cores can go up to the 3.2GHz speed then I think they'll go with those since they're pretty efficent, cool, and don't use much power.

So basically, Jaguar cores@3.2GHz may perhaps equal X-GHz steamroller cores, which is current simulated by Piledriver cores @X-GHz.

I wonder this because I can't see first and third parties develop with the constant threat of a probable performance deficit later down the line in mind. If anything, they'd perhaps be working with a conservative specification fitting the worst case scenario where going steamroller would net them a surplus in performance. Thus, the legacy of first generation games for a new generation of systems not being a representative of their full capability will remain untarnished.

Can someone please elucidate this whole "GDDR5" and "DDR3" ram thing for me?? I'm a bit confused but from I researched quickly is that GDDR5 ram to be used in the PS4 is not necessarily designed the way ram works in traditional PC's right? I'd say the same applies to the next box also right??

It's confusing because I'm seeing "GDDR5" as something that's made with the graphics card and from what I know there isn't a "GDDR5" ram stick. Someone help me out with this.

Karak

It would be interesting if Sony does end up going with Steamroller. At first it seemed unlikely because it got pushed back to 2014, but apparently it appeared on a roadmap again for (late) 2013.

roadmap-620.jpg

I know Bulldozer and even Piledriver are pretty huge (315mm²), especially for a console. However, PD already improved on the die size (with Trinity I believe) on the same process and SR is a 28nm chip. So even without further improvements and not taking scaling into account, a PD die on 28nm would be more or less 242mm². So let's say a 2M/4C SR chip could end up being about 150mm². Add in a Pitcairn-level of GPU, which is 212mm², take away a memory controller since there would be only one if they go the APU route and add some overall improvements of SR and GCN 1.1. This way you might have a chip around 300mm² which doesn't burn too much money on silicon and is still manufacturable.

It would be a big PR stunt if Sony/AMD can come out and say that the PS4 will be the first product featuring Steamroller.

I know this armchair speculation is most likely way off, but I guess I just have too much time on my hands.

Everything else points to Steamroller being delayed. Including other AMD bits. Though everything is a "target" right now. Until final actual dev kits come out.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
Can someone please elucidate this whole "GDDR5" and "DDR3" ram thing for me?? I'm a bit confused but from I researched quickly is that GDDR5 ram to be used in the PS4 is not necessarily designed the way ram works in traditional PC's right? I'd say the same applies to the next box also right??

It's confusing because I'm seeing "GDDR5" as something that's made with the graphics card and from what I know there isn't a "GDDR5" ram stick. Someone help me out with this.

It's just another kind of RAM, which is faster than DDR3, so it's used on graphic cards.
You can't use it as primary RAM for your PC because nodoby builds GDDR5 RAM sticks basically.

As far as I know.

androvsky

Unfortunately, everything is a compromise. If the memory specs are true, Microsoft are going larger amount but slower and Sony are going smaller but faster.

OS overheads are a pain. Especially if Sony does use unified GDDR5.......seems such a waste to use such fast memory for the OS.

I'm still of the opinion that the OS needs to be executed quickly in a gaming environment. You generally want the OS being executed on the same CPU as the games, in the fastest memory. An exception would be scientific applications on mainframes, where they just sit and chew on numbers for a week without talking to the outside world.

I know a lot of people refer to the OS in consoles when they're really talking about running the web browser in the background, which is a different story. That can be handled with a high-speed flash swap space, or simply not using a lot of memory. The Vita manages to squeeze in a halfway decent HTML5 browser in the background while gaming, and I think the total OS + apps reserve is no more than 128 MB there.

omonimo

Banned
Finger crossed for 4 GB or will repeat ps2/ps3 case again... please sony don't, not again. I'm not want to be worried for the multiplat again.

TronLight

I'm still of the opinion that the OS needs to be executed quickly in a gaming environment. You generally want the OS being executed on the same CPU as the games, in the fastest memory. An exception would be scientific applications on mainframes, where they just sit and chew on numbers for a week without talking to the outside world.

I know a lot of people refer to the OS in consoles when they're really talking about running the web browser in the background, which is a different story. That can be handled with a high-speed flash swap space, or simply not using a lot of memory. The Vita manages to squeeze in a halfway decent HTML5 browser in the background while gaming, and I think the total OS + apps reserve is no more than 128 MB there.

I don't know why people make such a big thing out of the browser in-game and things like that... I mean, do you really start browsing while you're playing?
If you ask me, Sony should just re-use the XMB without any change... It's simple and functional.
I'd just like to be able to take screenshot/record videos and listen to music while playing soundtrack in everygame.

Reiko

Banned
I don't know why people make such a big thing out of the browser in-game and things like that... I mean, do you really start browsing while you're playing?
If you ask me, Sony should just re-use the XMB without any change... It's simple and functional.
I'd just like to be able to take screenshot/record videos and listen to music while playing soundtrack in everygame.

I really don't think that's happening.

androvsky

It's handy for guides, or if you want to check out a website like Facebook without finding a savepoint. It's practically required for a portable gaming device, but on a home console, most people buying one will have a tablet or smartphone available for such things.

Sony before launch point promised an in-game browser for the PS3, and it would've been great to have back then, pre-iPhone. At this point it's probably not too important, but it's a bullet point that people will probably expect to have.

rdrr gnr

Oh, God -- no.

TronLight

It's handy for guides, or if you want to check out a website like Facebook without finding a savepoint. It's practically required for a portable gaming device, but on a home console, most people buying one will have a tablet or smartphone available for such things.

Sony before launch point promised an in-game browser for the PS3, and it would've been great to have back then, pre-iPhone. At this point it's probably not too important, but it's a bullet point that people will probably expect to have.

Yes, for a portable ok, but you said it, at home you probably have your phone/tableb/laptop/pc at 2 meters from you.

Oh, God -- no.

Why not? Make it faster to load and I can't see any problem...

CLEEK

As I understanding it, GDDR has high latency and high bandwidth and is suited to tasks that shift large amount of data in/out of RAM (GPU tasks). Where are DDR has low latency and low bandwidth, so it suited/designed for fast transfer of small volumes of data (CPU tasks). So DDR has too small a bandwidth to be optimal for graphical tasks, where as GDDR has too a high latency for CPU tasks.

I don't know how all this come into play in the PC world with the move to APUs and, I assume, a single pool of shared RAM. Or do existing AMD APUs have both GDDR and DDR memory?

quest

Not Banned from OT
As I understanding it, GDDR has high latency and high bandwidth and is suited to tasks that shift large amount of data in/out of RAM (GPU tasks). Where are DDR has low latency and low bandwidth, so it suited/designed for small data (CPU tasks). So DDR is slow for graphical tasks, where as GDDR has too a high latency for CPU tasks.

I don't know how all this come into play in the PC world with the move to APUs and, I assume, a single pool of shared RAM. Or do existing AMD APUs have both GDDR and DDR memory?

Current AMD APUs use the system pool of DDR3 and are bandwidth starved. That is why the push for the stacked ram to fix that issue.

CLEEK

What issues would there be if, as rumoured, the PS4 uses a single pool of GDDR5 for RAM? If it is a higher latency than DDR3, what impact does this have on the CPU side of things?

tipoo

Banned
Ram amount isn't telling the whole story I believe. ES ram, HSA, and whatever else we don't know.

They had to know this before hand, if not, it's going to be a massive difference in terms of BW, massive.

Yes, that's what I said. The Nextbox, like the Wii U (although obviously with bigger numbers all around), will rely on a smaller pool of fast memory while the main memory just goes for size over bandwidth.

Top Bottom