• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGX 2013: Teases, rumours, and ads. [Up: Dying Light, Broken Age, Hammond Robotics]

Status
Not open for further replies.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Nirolak did make a good point that some big reveals aren't hyped at all. VGA 2012 was where we first saw that The Phantom Pain trailer, before the Metal Gear puzzle was solved (on the same day :p), and received no pre-show hype at all. Dark Souls II was also left of field.

VGX 2013 trailer/promo. As with most of the marketing campaign so far, the "world premieres" emphasise titles we already know exist, almost identical to the list in the OP, with no real attention directed towards the possibility of new announcements.

Not that I'm denying there will be announcements, but I'd think if there was "Big game from X" possibly revealing at the show, or teasing, like previous VGA years, there would be some promo material to suggest that. The attention is focused on the knowns. The knowns are good, but I'd shape hype accordingly.

I figured as much. Similar story last year and I'm sure the lack of live TV coverage has hurt the interest of any exec hoping for mainstream exposure.

That said, if the show ends up being far more tolerable than it has in the past then it's an easy trade off. I don't think we'll ever see another 2011 show, where there were a shitload of high profile games announced, but the current lineup is nothing to be ashamed of. And I'm sure we'll see a bunch of other games there as well, including a first look at Uncharted 4's gameplay.

Derrick01

Banned
You guys are too focused on being surprised instead of focusing on the actual content of the show. This is like worrying about there being no surprises at E3. Are you in this for the games or for the "moments", aka forum fodder where you spam OMGGGG with the 400 other people who are doing it?

BY2K

Membero Americo
You guys are too focused on being surprised instead of focusing on the actual content of the show. This is like worrying about there being no surprises at E3. Are you in this for the games or for the "moments", aka forum fodder where you spam OMGGGG with the 400 other people who are doing it?

Can't it be both?

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Guys, help me. I'm in the "they might show HL3" phase of hype. Someone get me to reality again.

By the way, one has to wonder if the seizure inducing GIF (which should not be posted by wish of mods) that Geoff posted in the ND visits SpaceX thread has anything to do with VGX.

Well they did hype a "PS3 exclusive that no-one will see coming" or something so we knew something was due.

Doesn't make any sense for Sony NOT to be there, I certainly expect more on the new Uncharted, don't know what else they'll show though, Sony been very quiet about "AAA" games for PS4 for some reason.

Actually we did. It was teased weeks before it. The only thing people didn't know was ND making it.

Oh snap, they did indeed! I remember it now... ;-)

But no one saw a game like THAT coming from Naughty Dog. So different from Uncharted.
The Last of Us is still stuck in my head, even after all these months. I keep thinking about the incredible experience I had with that game.

The facial expressions, animations and storytelling in The Last of Us is still better than almost every game.
Ellie and Joel are the most believable characters ever if you ask me.

The Last of Us deserves to win the game of the year award at the VGX. It's that simple.

The Last of Us deserves to win the game of the year award at the VGX. It's that simple.

My personal point of view after TLoU is that I'm very disappointed they're going back to Uncharted.

Im not saying Uncharted isn't good but TLoU was on another level, I was hoping they would do another new IP that would more easily transfer into a franchise (the story of TLoU means I'm not really sure how they will deal with another game in that world).

Hindle

Banned
I agree, especially as the new format is done so its not just trailers but actually gameplay stuff right? As an example, Quantum Break I assume they'll get up on stage with a controller and play it for a few minutes or something
before they confirm a Q2 2014 release

Quantum Break releasing so early into this gen would be awesome. It means we'd get more games from Remedy then what we got for the 360.

It's a GTA year, so I don't think this will happen. Which is a goddamn shame.

Yeah, GTA V will probably win but I hope not. Don't get me wrong, GTA V was a very good game and whole lot better than GTA IV but it was not a unforgettable experience for me.

Vice City was back then, they nailed the 80s vibe. That game was a instant classic.

My personal point of view after TLoU is that I'm very disappointed they're going back to Uncharted.

Im not saying Uncharted isn't good but TLoU was on another level, I was hoping they would do another new IP that would more easily transfer into a franchise (the story of TLoU means I'm not really sure how they will deal with another game in that world).

Holy damn dude, I feel exactly the same! Uncharted on PS4 will probably blow your mind when you see it for the first time but personally I'm a little tired of Uncharted...
The story in those games never do much with me. But The Last of Us had EVERYTHING.

I want The Last of Us 2 first, lol.

BY2K

Membero Americo
No. Maybe. Who cares really? This is ultimately about the games, not acting surprised that Fallout 4 is being made when it's finally unveiled.

Wouldn't you get hype as hell if they were to reveal a game that no one was expecting and comes out of nowhere? Even if it is a sequel to a known franchise?

Marleyman

Banned

I agree completely. I wish they just stuck w/ TLoU universe.

LNBL

Still hoping for that reveal of the Tier 2 release date for Xbone.

Not sure if already posted:

jbiT6pD1SWxtlM.png

https://twitter.com/therealcliffyb/status/408389693273690112

ArjanN

No. Maybe. Who cares really? This is ultimately about the games, not acting surprised that Fallout 4 is being made when it's finally unveiled.

Sure, but what if it was something exciting instead of Fallout 4?

Ugh this won't be on TV at the same time it's streamed? Bleh my connection isn't that great. Hope it doesn't stutter for me.

There's only an hour long highlight show later on Spike, I think. I'm guessing you'll probably be able to download the show as well though, although maybe not the very moment it's live/

People get excited because of the games, not for some artificial wow factor. I'm looking forward to whatever new games will be shown, simply because I want to see new games, not because being suprised gives me a high or something lol.

Elios83

Uncharted being revealed at the PS4 launch makes me think they have some reveals to make.

Seems logic to think that the teaser was just the beginning of a full trailer. So I'd be suprised if Uncharted wasn't at VGX.
My curiosity is more about other surprises....I think it's time that we see The Order gameplay at least.

Yeah so our votes dont even count, or is every studio that is nominated just making videos in case they win?

Our votes only ever counted for the Most Anticipated award (which will obviously have a cut off date), not the other ones. They may make mention of what games were the most voted for but they don't really matter.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Wait, so the winners already know? (Sorry if this is a stupid question. I don't know how things usually work in game award shows).

Yeah so our votes dont even count, or is every studio that is nominated just making videos in case they win?

Studios don't know, I think, that's why all the nominees make videos.

Plus, your votes don't matter in any category that is not Most Anticipated. All awards except that one are chosen by a committee of 23 game journalists.

In the case of Fallout 4, I think a reveal would be huge because of what that would imply about its release schedule. If we don't hear anything about Fallout 4, I don't think it will launch in 2014. If we do, I suspect it will indeed launch by the end of next year. Any game that isn't announced by VGX likely won't be released in 2014 - with the exception of annual series like Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty.

DTKT

The more I see of this game the more excited I get. How vital are the first 2 games? Should I play them to catch up on the story?

Skipping 1 is okay as it's a bit harder to get into but two is an awesome game and worth playing. There are some pretty significant links between 2 and 3.

Our votes only ever counted for the Most Anticipated award (which will obviously have a cut off date), not the other ones. They may make mention of what games were the most voted for but they don't really matter.

Meh dont care for the actual award then, cause GTA V will probably win every catagory its nominated in. Its so predictable.

Bsigg12

Meh dont care then cause GTA V will probably win every catagory its nominated in. Bit predictable.

They tend to do a "fair" show so if GTA V wins GOTY, they'll fill every other category with wins from other games. At least that's how it has been in past years with the VGAs. I think that was to get as many devs as possible to attend the show so that could change this year.

Meh dont care for the actual award then, cause GTA V will probably win every catagory its nominated in. Its so predictable.

You realise The Walking Dead won last year, right? And going by the amount of awards it won, Journey was in second. Just because GTA is a huge series, doesn't necessarily guarantee a win. Personally, I'd bet on The Last of Us winning.

Knoxcore

They tend to do a "fair" show so if GTA V wins GOTY, they'll fill every other category with wins from other games. At least that's how it has been in past years with the VGAs. I think that was to get as many devs as possible to attend the show so that could change this year.

I agree, they do tend to share the wealth for better or for worse. I do think GTA V will win GOTY, however. I just don't see how the most critically acclaimed game (that is also liked by the mainstream gamer) that sold 20 million+ copies is going to lose to The Last of Us. I think The Last of Us deserves to win, but at the end of the day I don't see the judges pulling the trigger on TLOU.

I agree, they do tend to share the wealth for better or for worse. I do think GTA V will win GOTY, however. I just don't see how the most critically acclaimed game (that is also liked by the mainstream gamer) that sold 20 million+ copies is going to lose to The Last of Us. I think The Last of Us deserves to win, but at the end of the day I don't see the judges pulling the trigger on TLOU.

Doesnt help that there are 3 Polygon judges(WTF)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom