• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video game characters who are based from other characters

retroman

Screen-Shot-2015-07-02-at-9.34.13-AM-750x488.png

Axel Stone from the Streets of Rage series looks quite a bit like Jean Claude van Damme on the box art of Bare Knuckle II (that's what it's called in Japan), don't you think?

Van-Damme.jpg

Momentary

Banned
Everyone keeps saying Necalli is based off a JoJo character and I don't really see it.

Necalli looks like they put Pickle and Hanma Yujiro together to make some unstoppable force. In his normal state he seems about as much as a neanderthal as pickle plus he's ancient like Pickle. The. In powered up mode he's got the Yujiro attitude with the hair to go with it. A lot of Pickles/Yujiro's attacks are very apparent in his fighting style.

Tried to grab pics but could find nothi g but scans and I'm on a mobile device at the moment. If anyone feels the same about that and can find artwork for me that would be cool.

retroman

Rick from Splatterhouse is definitely based on Jason Voorhees from the Friday the 13th series.

Splatterhouse_arcadeflyer.png

splatter1x.jpg

Friday-the-13th-Part-III-Jason-Voorhees-Richard-Brooker-barn-machete.pngg

Also, Choi Bounge from KOF is a tiny, slightly less nightmarish version of Freddy Krueger.

latest

Choi_Bounge95.jpg

3516858-freddy-freddy-krueger-33746737-500-614.jpg

LaserHawk

You know, the further we get in this thread, the more it astounds me at how many fighting game developers straight-up ripped off characters. As a kid, the Fei Long/Bruce Lee thing bugged me. If I had only known how many of the Street Fighter cast had been lifted from somewhere else.

I wonder if deep at the center of this practice it isn't really lack of imagination, but desire to see Freddy Kruger fight Bruce Lee in some shape or form.

You know, the further we get in this thread, the more it astounds me at how many fighting game developers straight-up ripped off characters. As a kid, the Fei Long/Bruce Lee thing bugged me. If I had only known how many of the Street Fighter cast had been lifted from somewhere else.

I wonder if deep at the center of this practice it isn't really lack of imagination, but desire to see Freddy Kruger fight Bruce Lee in some shape or form.

Artists are inspired by things that they see.

retroman

Here's a bit of an odd one. Vega, everyone's favourite yodeling spaniard, made an appearance in Cannon Spike. He got a rather extreme makeover, though:

latest

latest

fallenbalrog4.jpg

Looks familiar?

Marilyn-Manson.jpg

True... but there's "inspired by" and then there's "We basically made Hulk Hogan with a different name."

The thing with this is that there's no visible line where something turns from "homage" to "rip-off". It changes based on the person and their perception of the product or design in question.

From my perspective, a lot of the Street Fighter designs built upon their main inspirations to create something interesting.

Like that comparison with Hulk and Andre posing versus Alex and Hugo posing I found to be amazing, as that's an intentionally placed reference that people with knowledge of those wrestlers will be able to pick up on.

With the Bruce Lee/Fei Long thing that's also clearly intentional. Many fighting games pay homage (this is how I view it) to Bruce Lee because he was a very influential fighter and person. People are inspired by the things they see and want to include these things in their work with their own personal touch. Pulling from what you've seen and experienced is a natural part of the artistic process. Considering the above at least for Street Fighter I can't classify them as "rip-offs".

However feel free to disagree.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I've heard Stroheim inspiring Guile, but I've also seen claims Dire did as well:

Also, I recall reading the Japan Team in KOF are based around Getter Robo---Kyo, Benimaru, and Goro are meant to mimic Ryoma, Hayato, and Musashi in terms of basic character.

KC-Slater

I just perused this thread, and didn't see any images of this posted (although it may have been written) so appologies if this has been said, Bruno Delinger from Dynamite Deka and Detective John McClane.

dynamitedeka.jpg

Die_hard.jpg

Kuksune

Sol Badguy from GG is inspired by Freddy Mercury, the late singer of the band Queen.

Kasumi from DOA is inspired by Mai from KOF

Brad Wong from DOA is clearly inspired of Jackie Chan in his movie Drunken Master.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I just perused this thread, and didn't see any images of this posted (although it may have been written) so appologies if this has been said, Bruno Delinger from Dynamite Deka and Detective John McClane.

dynamitedeka.jpg

Die_hard.jpg

Pretty sure it was intentional...in the U.S. it was released as Die Hard Arcade iirc.

Genesis in Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII is modeled after Gackt.

Pretty sure he inspired Squall too.

GenG3000

I'm going full Smash Bros. with this one.

Captain Falcon is based from Judge Dredd. The original game even tried to imitate that 80s comic style.

The way Greninja moves and attacks is inspired by Strider. Even the tongue-scarf seems like a nod to the famous Capcom character.

Palutena in Smash Bros. takes cues from notable Namco characters like Sophitia and Valkyrie: Greek theme, shield user, goddess with green hair... I wonder how was for Namco working on this character.

Robin is Sakurai's take on the Mystic Knight job from Final Fantasy, he even described him as such on his Famitsu's column.

Mewtwo's design, animations and personality are pretty much Frieza's.

SoldnerKei

iirc Hazama's design is based on Michael Jackson's smooth criminal outfit, to the point that he even has a palette swap of that outfit

also almost all the Castlevania Judgement characters look like someone from Death Note, I know it's the same artist but hell, most of them don't look like castlevania folks at all

Crime Fighters 2/Vendettas playable characters were pretty much JCVD, Hulk Hogan, Mike Tyson and Mr T

Vader was the inspiration for that guy in Slam Masters and that Double Dragon 2 boss. I've seen countless other Vader clones in games.

Ultimate Warrior and Freddy Kruger are bosses in Streets of Rage

Andre The Giant is pretty much Andore/Hugo

hqdefault.jpg

gollum.jpg

And of course, Ryo=Akira, Lan Di=Lau.

Is this one actually true? Fellowship (which he wasn't prominent in at all) hit theaters 2 years after Shenmue was released, unless you're saying he was designed after the character in the book (or animated movie).

I think it's just coincidental.

Kojima Thread?

Gillian Seed (Snatcher)
203270-gillian.gif

Deckard (Blade Runner)
rick-deckard.jpg

Random Hajile (Snatcher)
hqdefault.jpg

Rutger Hauer (Dune)
sting-smile.jpg

Jonathan Ingram and Ed Brown (Policenauts) vs. Riggs and Murtah (Lethal Weapon)
PolicenautsLethalWeapon.jpg

MG1 Solid Snake vs Kyle Reese
solid_snake_metal_gear_-_kyle_reese.jpg

MGS Solid Snake VS Snake Plisskin from Escape from New York
1089.jpg

Roy Campbell from MGS vs Trautman from Rambo
Juegos+y+Famosos+muchos+parecidos+roy_campbell_metal_gear_-_solid_richard_crenna.jpg

tauroxd

What? Pretty sure he's called Reflet over there.

EDIT: Apparently "Daraen" is what he's called in French, Spanish, and Italy.

Isn't it Reflet in Japan...?

"Robin (ルフレ, Reflet)"

Where are you getting this "Daraen" thing from? The announcer even says Reflet.

EDIT: I see now. Daraen is for the Romantic Latin languages. Not Japanese.

You are both right. I was stupid, I once saw a video of the differents voice overs in Smash Bros and I misremembered that Daraen was what Xander said in japanese.

McNum

2QFX61X.jpg

No one posted this yet?
If there's one change I really want to see in the Final Fantasy 7 remake, it's them using this for the Wall Market crossdressing scene. Don't even be subtle about it, make the perfect disguise Cloud looking exactly like Lightning. It's the obvious joke, so maybe they won't, but it'd be funny.

Pretty much all the Sci-Fi and Fantasy creatures in every major franchise are based on something older.

The Covenant in Halo are basically the Tau from Warhammer 40k, including the design of most of their ships.

A Tau Pirahna is basically a Covenant Ghost. There's even a variant that looks just like a Banshee.
A Tau Hammerhead is basically a Covenant Wraith.

Plus the Tau races of Kroot, Vespids, Tarellians, Demiurgs and Galgs are essentially the same as Covenant races.

I'm guessing someone at Bungie early in development was a huge Warhammer 40k fan. And probably played Tau. Because it's really similar design.

Platy

Legend tells that Guilty Gear's Baiken

SUZaIih.jpg

was created when someone told that "the girl from Rurouni kenshin"

AzBIgRY.png

was actualy a male samurai and dude was like "meh, a girl samurai is an awesome idea"

LaserHawk

The thing with this is that there's no visible line where something turns from "homage" to "rip-off". It changes based on the person and their perception of the product or design in question.

From my perspective, a lot of the Street Fighter designs built upon their main inspirations to create something interesting.

Like that comparison with Hulk and Andre posing versus Alex and Hugo posing I found to be amazing, as that's an intentionally placed reference that people with knowledge of those wrestlers will be able to pick up on.

With the Bruce Lee/Fei Long thing that's also clearly intentional. Many fighting games pay homage (this is how I view it) to Bruce Lee because he was a very influential fighter and person. People are inspired by the things they see and want to include these things in their work with their own personal touch. Pulling from what you've seen and experienced is a natural part of the artistic process. Considering the above at least for Street Fighter I can't classify them as "rip-offs".

However feel free to disagree.

I absolutely LOOOOOVE many of the Street Fighters and enjoy the series' design principles above all the other fighting games, but I DO believe there's a line. A few characters (like M. Bison, the dictator) look exactly like their inspiration. Generally I believe Street Fighter has done a better job of being original that a lot of the other examples we're seeing in this thread.

Weiss

Banned
Legend tells that Guilty Gear's Baiken

SUZaIih.jpg

was created when someone told that "the girl from Rurouni kenshin"

AzBIgRY.png

was actualy a male samurai and dude was like "meh, a girl samurai is an awesome idea"

Shizumaru from Samurai Shodown is also based off of Kenshin.

shizumaru_4301.jpg

Top Bottom