• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video game characters who are based from other characters

Well maybe not other characters, but real people. Zangief is based on a guy named Zangief, Ryu is based on some karate legend, Bison is based on an anime villain, Johnny Cage is JCVD, everyone is Bruce Lee, etc. Blanka and Dhalsim may be original creations but I honestly kinda doubt it.

Is an old movie called Master of the Flying Guillotine, in it is a fighting tournament, one of the fighters is a yoga master who can stretch his arms to inhuman lengths.

ONE097AA.jpg

Warcraft's Athras is such a painfully obvious Elric of Melnibogne rip-of. It feels like if some kid decided to make a clone of Elric, only make him even more "badass" in a way that only kids would consider badass

Don't forget Drizzt, lone defector from a chaotic-evil race and the original try-hard Elric clone. His skin's black though so that's like the opposite of an albino, right?

1065162-readers_drizzt_det01.jpg

Original character do not steal.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Mewtwo's design, animations and personality are pretty much Frieza's.

Not really. Mewtwo and Frieza are pretty different in terms of personalities (I mean if we go by the show since in the game he's a static character), but I do think he inspired Mewtwo's design a bit.

If anything, plot-wise, he's closer to Cell being intended to be the ultimate life-form and everything.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I've heard Stroheim inspiring Guile, but I've also seen claims Dire did as well:

Also, I recall reading the Japan Team in KOF are based around Getter Robo---Kyo, Benimaru, and Goro are meant to mimic Ryoma, Hayato, and Musashi in terms of basic character.

Heh, the thought of Benimaru being Hayato is hilarious.

Legend tells that Guilty Gear's Baiken

SUZaIih.jpg

was created when someone told that "the girl from Rurouni kenshin"

AzBIgRY.png

was actualy a male samurai and dude was like "meh, a girl samurai is an awesome idea"

Watsuki apparently admitted that he didn't realize he was mimicking a bunch of Samurai Shodown characters.

Platy

If people are mentioning Law/Fei Long -> Bruce Lee

Than

DiveKick has

f7DLC5o.jpg

Markman ! Based on ...Mark "Markman" Julio !

lUPRJNo.jpg

S-Kill based on Seth Killian

FMLZF5m.jpg

Mr. N is a mix of Marn and SF's Rufus

Forkball

I always think of Ryo from KoF when this topic comes up.

CVS_Ryo.jpg

CVS_Ken.jpg

They have tried to diversify Ryo in later games. In KoF XIII he has red hair. This comparison is ironic since Ken is a lot of fun and Ryo is so boring to play.

Also the whole Dota 2/Warcraft/Heroes of the Storm connection. As we all know, Dota 1 is based on many characters from the Blizzard universe. They have new names and sometimes modified appearances, but you can see the parallels. Omniknight is Uther, Crystal Maiden is Jaina, Axe is Grom etc. But now, Blizzard has their own MOBA with the characters that the Dota 2 characters are based off of. But you can see that the way they play is somewhat similar to how the Dota 2 characters play. For example, Skeleton King from Dota is based off of Leoric from Diablo. They just added Leoric in Heroes of the Storm, and his main gimmick is coming back to life, which is the same gimmick as Dota's Skeleton King. Some real inception shit happening here.

Boss Doggie

I always think of Ryo from KoF when this topic comes up.

CVS_Ryo.jpg

CVS_Ken.jpg

They have tried to diversify Ryo in later games. In KoF XIII he has red hair. This comparison is ironic since Ken is a lot of fun and Ryo is so boring to play.

Nah Ryo has blond hair, it's just some weird sprite coloring.

With that said Ryo is very Ryu-like in gameplay. If you want the Ken of AoF go to Robert.

Wiktor

Also..those enemies from Unreal were clearly inspired by Predator

And another one. Aken Bosch from Freespace 2. He might not look like Admiral Tolwyn from Wing Commander III-IV, but his whole philophy, style, even his villainous plan is just watered down version of Tolwyn's

Boss Doggie

Also video game characters being based on developers or part of the staff is not that uncommon. Isn't Sol Badguy Daisuke's self insert?

danmaku

Screen-Shot-2015-07-02-at-9.34.13-AM-750x488.png

Axel Stone from the Streets of Rage series looks quite a bit like Jean Claude van Damme on the box art of Bare Knuckle II (that's what it's called in Japan), don't you think?

Van-Damme.jpg

Also, you can't see it in this pic but the smiling face in the background is Arnold Schwarzenegger. The final boss looks nothing like Arnie, though, so it was just the artist having fun.

Boss Doggie

I thought Raidou was just doing the banchou attire, since Bison was mimicking more of those dictators like Che and Stalin.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I'm not 100% sure, but I think Liquid Snake has to be based off of some British movie villain somewhere.

Liquid.jpg

It might just be because he's a collection of tropes, but knowing the MGS series' track record of basing its characters off of movie characters, there has to be someone out there who's a dead ringer for Liquid.

Syril

Actually that was a callback to the original Art of Fighting game, where Ryo's sprite had red-orange hair despite being blond in artwork.

Top Bottom