• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video Game Characters you thought would make it big... but didn't

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Street Fighter III
Earthbound
Auto Modellista
Shenmue
Chrono Cross
Mario Sunshine
Other M
Shadowman 64
Megaman Legends
Robotech Crystal Dreams

Bunch more, very easy to be wrong before the internet

Jay Sosa

He kinda was, in the PSX era. The Crash franchise contains lots of games across several generations which have sold in the millions, that's pretty big if you ask me. Because a character couldn't keep the momentum doesn't mean that it never was "big".

yeah, I'm not disagreeing, it's just that some of us were expecting even bigger things from him. If it wasn't for the reboot the younger gen would've probably completely forgotten about him now.

Kolibri

From the AMIGA days. Team 17 we're bigging him up as a new Sonic.

superfrog.jpg

N4Us

Do new IPs I thought would get more attention than they did count?

qwJgMn2.jpg

This game surprisingly flew under the radar for what I thought was the recipe for niche game bait. I think it got overshadowed by Katamari Damacy which was the big "weird JP game" at the time and came out a month before this did.

Street Fighter III
Earthbound
Auto Modellista
Shenmue
Chrono Cross
Mario Sunshine
Other M
Shadowman 64
Megaman Legends
Robotech Crystal Dreams

Bunch more, very easy to be wrong before the internet

Do you mean you thought these games would be bigger?

Because some of these games and franchises are pretty well known with some having iconic characters.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Do you mean you thought these games would be bigger?

Because some of these games and franchises are pretty well known with some having iconic characters.

I thought they would be way bigger deals than they ended up being at the time of release. SF III was a joke for years, Sunshine didnt live up to Mario 64, Earthbound flopped, Shenmue should have been what GTA became, etc

I thought they would be way bigger deals than they ended up being at the time of release. SF III was a joke for years, Sunshine didnt live up to Mario 64, Earthbound flopped, Shenmue should have been what GTA became, etc

This thread is about characters though, not games. Many of those games listed have characters that are extremely well known.

daTRUballin

I don't know if he was mentioned yet, but this guy.

latest

Conker should've been one of THE mascots for the Xbox platform right alongside Master Chief, but MS/Rare have done fuck all with the IP. I mean come on, he's just perfect for the Xbox! And when they do bring him out, they do useless shit like putting him in Project Spark or Young Conker on Hololens. Even the Xbox remake of BFD was censored to all hell. What a way to miss the point of the character!

Even the original N64 version of Conker was a sales flop due to Nintendo washing its hands of the game and the game coming out so late in the console's lifecycle, so it's not all on MS I guess. The franchise in general has just not gotten the attention it deserves unfortunately.

EDIT:

Right above you.

Yeah, saw it right after posting. Damn it lol

I don't know if he was mentioned yet, but this guy.

latest

Conker should've been one of THE mascots for the Xbox platform right alongside Master Chief, but MS/Rare have fuck all with the IP. And when they do bring him out, they do useless shit like putting him in Project Spark or Young Conker on Hololens. Even the Xbox remake of BFD was censored to all hell. What a way to kiss the point of the character!

Even the original N64 version of Conker was a sales flop due to Nintendo washing its hands of the game and the game coming out so late in the console's lifecycle, so it's not all on MS I guess. The franchise in general has just not gotten the attention it deserves unfortunately.

Right above you.

ChrisD

Adding another Sackboy to the pile. He was around for years, but could have been here pretty much forever. Changeable design but still his own adorable self. No telling why they just dropped him.

Javier

98dQC1o.png

I remember renting this game numerous times and playing it with my friends. We all thought it was the start of something BIG.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
pikmin_nav.png

Prior to its release, everyone was hyped by rumors and speculation of Nintendo's new upcoming IP. Would it be like Mario? Link? Donkey Kong?

Pikmin is a wonderful franchise, but it was hyped and promoted to all hell. It'll never be anything more than a C-tier franchise.
Both pikmin 1 and 2 were million sllers with pikmin 3's legs getting cut off from under it from WiiU, it's kirby tier

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Adding another Sackboy to the pile. He was around for years, but could have been here pretty much forever. Changeable design but still his own adorable self. No telling why they just dropped him.

I guess because cutesy mascot characters are not in tune with the kind of image Sony wanted to project in their videogames.. You know, story driven, 'mature' kind of atmosphere.

Pikmins. I think they have this broad appeal but they never really reached the mainstream audience. How is it possible to not love them after seeing the shorts? It seems the Pikmin games are a bit too complex to find their way to casuals and families.

Top Bottom