• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video Game Characters you thought would make it big... but didn't

Rambler

vNgEGId.jpg

Glitch was a cool character, Metal Arms was a good game, and Swingin' Ape deserved better than to be swallowed up by Blizzard.

Manu

I feel like Square has a lot of potential characters and franchises from their more prolific late SNES/PS1 era, but damn if that company can't get a game out in less than 5 years at this point. You can justify that kind of time/money for Final Fantasy or Kingdom Hearts, but not for Parasite Eve.

Parasite Eve was based on a book and Square lost the rights a decade ago. That's why the third game was called The Third Birthday and not Parasite Eve 3. It was also released to die on a handheld.

I don't think they'll bother buying the rights back at this point.

latest

Blinx. I thought Microsoft found their mascot. Nope.

I thought Blinx was going to be the face of Xbox.

I really, really loved Blinx. The potential was there, for sure. Somehow the ball was dropped, ditto Voodoo Vince.

Sad.

As a young Nintendo fan, I was terrified Blinx would be the new Mario.

*Wrong thread*

But, I thought Blinx would get somewhere

I did too. I really liked the look of his games and the whole remote control mechanic seemed really neat.

I would love a Blinx 3.

OG Xbox is gonna have a ton of these characters. Since they were trying so hard with new IPs and what would stick.

Yeah. Just looked at the Microsoft Studios published games2 for Xbox. They were trying to make their own everything. See their sports lineup they had for a few years.

There's a Nightcaster 2.

Ty_the_Tasmanian_Tiger_Coverart.jpg

He got two sequels at least, but was pretty much forgotten by then.

Strangely enough, he got a ridiculous remaster on Steam, with reviews in the Overwhelmingly Positive. Crikey!

There's also Ty 4 on Steam.

header.jpg

It's a sidescroller.

ty4-header.jpg

Sackboy, thought he would be bigger and major mascot for Sony.

Sackboy, for a short while he was everywhere and quickly disappear after that. It always feels like once Sony had a potential mascot, they drop them as fast as they possible can for one reason or another.

Yeah the handling of Sackboy is crazy they finally vould have had a huge mascot for playstation but killed it.

I think they just don't care for eternal mascots:p

Sackboy is weird because those games did sell well and they made a ton of merchandise for them. It was also an amazing platform to sell DLC cosmetics. Yet I dont think they ever fixed the third one which is the only one on PS4.

With how long Dreams is taking and the potential audience you would think Sony would push Media Molecule to work on a forth.

The interesting thing is new DLC is still made for the game.

34145080034_307d1b545d_h.jpg

33296620540_280645ae01_z.jpg

latest

The first game is SOOO good

He still had a good run with 5 games over a decade and an amiibo.

2005: Chibi-Robo!
2007: Chibi-Robo! Park Patrol
2009: Chibi-Robo! Happy Richie Ōsōji!
2014: Chibi-Robo! Photo Finder
2015: Chibi-Robo! Zip Lash

Sadly enough the only game to remain in Japan, the second DS game, is the actual sequel to the first game both in gameplay and story.

mrk8885

Banned
I thought Sackboy would stick around longer than he did.
I'll second that. LBP's fall from being a marquee PlayStation title to complete obscurity and now franchise purgatory baffles me. In my experience sackboy was getting some mainstream love. My wife's friend who's not even really a gamer LOVES lpb and sackboy. Oh well.

I wish Sony would give Blasto another run LOL

Toxi

Banned
Pit from Kid Icarus. Dude is in a "classic" NES game, but then after the Gameboy sequel he is virtually absent for 15 years. Pit reappears prominently in Smash Bros Brawl as one of the first announced characters. He's got a cool redesign everyone likes. He ends up being very popular when Brawl comes out. Kid Icarus Uprising, a beautiful and beloved series revival, releases out in 2012 and... It does okay. Over 1 million. Smash 4 ends up drenched in Kid Icarus content with new characters, new stages, tons of music and items... Now it's 2017 and there's no news of a sequel to Uprising.

It's kinda bizarre.

Hopeford

...Knack.

I still actually enjoyed the game with my gf a lot and am looking forward to the second lne, but for some insane reason I thought it was gonna be way bigger than it was.

Nepenthe

Speaking of Microsoft franchises:

Viva Pinata gave me hope for Rare being in charge of colorful, family-friendly, but rewarding and challenging games and franchises. I remember they hyped up the grass and paper effect on the pinatas for the first game's release, and it got a few games and even a TV show that was surprisingly entertaining and good natured.

But it's gone. :(

Blueingreen

I'll second that. LBP's fall from being a marquee PlayStation title to complete obscurity and now franchise purgatory baffles me. In my experience sackboy was getting some mainstream love. My wife's friend who's not even really a gamer LOVES lpb and sackboy. Oh well.

I wish Sony would give Blasto another run LOL

I stand by it the series although popular was never as big as it could have been, If Sony was serious they would have packed in LBP with every single PS3, mandatory, such a shame it was thrown to its own devices, also having some no name hack developer deliver the glitch festival that was LBP3 was the final nail in the coffin.

Seijuro

C2E6F3D591E2F97521D9B94B1334BA29D7F0624E

Earthworm Jim seemed like a BIG thing back in the 16 bit days, like Sonic, Mario and the Donkey Kong (Country) revival at that time. I remember all the german video game magazines going nuts about Earthworm Jim and David Perry. Especially the first 2 games are great and are worth revisiting even today. A bummer that Jim's star started to fade with the jump to 3d.

Beck, maybe? I had thought that what he represented and the investment (emotional and financial) that people put into that would allow Mighty No. 9 to succeed irrespective of the game's actual quality.

Grady

I remember playing a Domino's pizza game on Nintendo as a kid with...noids? I think that's what they were called. I thought that was cool when I was young. As well as cool spot. I don't think either had another game again

spekkeh

Banned
joeandmac-nes.jpg

I was a card-carrying member of the Caveman Ninja official fanclub.

I mean not that I particularly liked the game that much, but they had a fanclub! With cards! I got to write my name under 'CAVEMAN'.

Elite/Data East really wanted to push this thing as the new Mario and for a bit they seemed to succeed, but then it fell off a cliff somehow.

Garlador

Another I thought would become a huge franchise and never did was Comix Zone, with the most 90's era hero ever, Sketch Turner.

It had a lot of good ideas sequels could've expanded upon, I thought.

Betty

Banned
Another I thought would become a huge franchise and never did was Comix Zone, with the most 90's era hero ever, Sketch Turner.

Too bad it was horribly difficult, I don't know a single person growing up who got past the first few acts, let alone complete it.

RedBoot

Pit from Kid Icarus.

I had really hoped to see a port of Uprising on the Wii U, because holy crap I just can't play the game on the 3DS. Sakurai's brilliant but I can't use that control scheme.

(Gravity Rush is another game I just couldn't play in its initial release, but at least we got a PS4 port with redesigned controls there)

Comix Zone was hilarious. Everything you do in that game kills you. You lose health for attacking enemies!

The game's about twenty minutes long, so it's no surprise they made it obscenely hard. Still, the art and style are amazing. I bet you could do something really cool in that style with modern tech.

Too bad it was horribly difficult, I don't know a single person growing up who got past the first few acts, let alone complete it.

I managed to complete it multiple times when I was younger. Don;t get me wrong, the game has a few moments in it where it can be really easy to die, but overall, I never really found this game to be particularly hard.

Comix Zone was hilarious. Everything you do in that game kills you. You lose health for attacking enemies!

The game's about twenty minutes long, so it's no surprise they made it obscenely hard. Still, the art and style are amazing. I bet you could do something really cool in that style with modern tech.

You're really suppose to use every item that you pick up in the game to get around the obstacles that can kill you easily. Otherwise, the game is pretty short. It does also have a 'lives' system, you start off with only one life, and it accumulates after every stage you complete.

I always thought Comix Zone was sequel worthy. The first game is a really interesting concept, I especially like how it has a story that doesn't get in the way of the gameplay. I am pretty sure that Sega patented the comic panel style of the game which prevented other developers from copying the idea.

Experien

Joanna Dark might've worked if MS didn't get her. They barely can push Master Chief forward.

I was hoping the Resistance franchise would have someone with staying power, Hale or Capelli.

Ancirawr

Rocket_Robot_on_Wheels_Cover.jpg

I always loved that game and hoped for a sequel. I had no idea the dev was Sucker Punch for years and I still believe a sequel or series revival on Switch would be pretty neat. Probably never happening though :/

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Pre-release of Mega Man X7. This guy. (Axl)

Adding in a new playable Maverick Hunter was a big deal. He fought differently than X and Zero, had a large role in the story, and a stylish new design. The last time the series did that, with X4, it was one of the best games in the franchise. He promised to bring awesome new things to the table.

His game sucked. His VA sucked. He was nothing but wasted potential. And then in Mega Man X8, he's just... there. Then the series died.

pikmin_nav.png

Prior to its release, everyone was hyped by rumors and speculation of Nintendo's new upcoming IP. Would it be like Mario? Link? Donkey Kong?

Pikmin is a wonderful franchise, but it was hyped and promoted to all hell. It'll never be anything more than a C-tier franchise.

Breakage

hkship2012-09-1000-57gukcz.png

Wei Shen from Sleeping Dogs. The guy deserved a sequel; he was a much better character than any of the leads from Rockstar's Gen 7 and Gen 8 GTA games. It's a shame that the character will never see the light of day again.

vNgEGId.jpg

Glitch was a cool character, Metal Arms was a good game, and Swingin' Ape deserved better than to be swallowed up by Blizzard.

I haven't thought of this game in years. Loved it when it came out. Completely tried to convince everyone I knew to get it. The ones who did like it. I completely thought at the time Glitch would become an iconic character too.

moeman

250px-Glover_Nintendo_64_cover_art%2Cjpg.jpg

I remember reading a lot about this game in magazines and thought it was super popular. They never made anything after the first one though.

Top Bottom