• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video Game Characters you thought would make it big... but didn't

60757-alfred-chicken-playstation-front-cover.jpg

Thumbs up for the Earthworm Jim references, that character definitely should have endured through the decades.

I'd don't know who controls the IP now but I'd love a new 2D one with the modern trimmings.

I love the music and concept for Remember Me. I was sure it would sell a fuck ton. I hope we get a return to the series someday.

MDK_box.jpg

Looked really iconic with an unconventional design. Wish the series in general took off. Playing it again on my Vita and having a blast.

Elise from SSX, she was the face of that series for me. The decline and then end of the SSX line is such a bummer, it felt like it was THE snowboarding game for a long time and she was THE fictional snowboarder

Vy6ZTR8.jpg
DSdeztT.jpg

Forever disappointed that these franchises never got sequels and a future they deserved. So much potential in both. Easily fixable flaws that could have turned them into platform-defining franchises.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
In terms of minor characters, Ninji.

BLAHoxu.png

Of all the Mario Bros. 2 characters that went on to basically become franchise mainstays like Bob-omb, Shy Guy, Birdo, and even arguably Pokey, always found it weird how such a cute and unique little enemy basically disappeared.

He's had a small revival in the RPG games of late and appeared in Mario Run surprisingly, his first "mainline" appearance since his one-screen appearance in Super Mario World, but it always bugged me he didn't become an iconic foe since I always thought he was cool since I first ran into him in Subcon.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Sadly almost everything on the Amiga(except Lemmings and Worms i guess), in particular Superfrog
7531-Superfrog-1.png

In terms of minor characters, Ninji.

BLAHoxu.png

Of all the Mario Bros. 2 characters that went on to basically become franchise mainstays like Bob-omb, Shy Guy, Birdo, and even arguably Pokey, always found it weird how such a cute and unique little enemy basically disappeared.

He's had a small revival in the RPG games of late and appeared in Mario Run surprisingly, his first "mainline" appearance since his one-screen appearance in Super Mario World, but it always bugged me he didn't become an iconic foe since I always thought he was cool since I first ran into him in Subcon.

At leas they get to show up again from time to time. Pidgits and Tweeters never show up in anything, though maybe I assign more importance to them in my mind due to that old Neglected Mario Characters sprite comic back when the internet was young.

Garlador

One of these is not like the other.

How much Lara Croft merchandise has been out there over the past 20 years?

Lara Croft was, and remains, huge. Two blockbuster movies (a reboot in the works), her games continue to sell millions, and, yeah, there's plenty of merchandise still being made.

There's hundreds of figures, books, shirts, comics, and other merchandise for her not just in the past 20 years, but just the past few years alone.

Lara Croft was, and remains, huge. Two blockbuster movies (a reboot in the works), her games continue to sell millions, and, yeah, there's plenty of merchandise still being made.

There's hundreds of figures, books, shirts, comics, and other merchandise for her not just in the past 20 years, but just the past few years alone.

So where was she from like 2000-2010?

Yes, there has been a bunch of stuff in the past few years.
But that doesn't make up for a decade of mostly mediocrity and irrelevance.

13ruce

Banned
Wario nowadays:/
A Wario + Waluigi duo game would be glorious especially a Mario & Luigi RPG like one.

Hopefully a Switch Warioware game is coming i meed a new one:p

Wario nowadays:/
A Wario + Waluigi duo game would be glorious especially a Mario & Luigi RPG like one.

On the topic of "video game characters I thought wouldn't make it big... but did" - Waluigi.
Yeah, I know, "Igiwalui" explanation for the name, whatever - he just seemed like a forced character.

So where was she from like 2000-2010?

Yes, there has been a bunch of stuff in the past few years.
But that doesn't make up for a decade of mostly mediocrity and irrelevance.
Between 2000 and 2010 you had Tomb Raider Legend, Anniversary, and two Hollywood movies.

That's a whole other plane of existence compared to the other characters in this thread.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Between 2000 and 2010 you had Tomb Raider Legend, Anniversary, and two Hollywood movies.

That's a whole other plane of existence compared to the other characters in this thread.

also Underworld and Guardian of Light

yeah, Lara Croft was never irrelevant, even if she wasn't quite as popular as she was in the 90s

pbayne

The ps2 platformers (sly, ratchet and jak) all had good runs but i thought one of them would emerge as top of the pack and become the kind of face for playsation platformers. And then none of them really did.

Top Bottom