• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video Game fan art -- when it's better than the official thing

Mardil

yoopoo said:
VdGggeijQ.jpg
This one is scary, damn.

Chowfahn

Neo Member
Thai said:
are you not aware that you sound like supreme douche? i hope your e-pein has grown 200%.
Calm down a bit, he wasn't really being that offensive.

Anyway, this one won't blow your mind with it's artistic quality, but the style and the thoughts written on it kinda freaked me out. The reason I started playing Yume Nikki:

(in a couple sections of the game, there are these weird bird-girls that will attack you. But in one part of a desert you can find 3 of them dancing at a picnic. They're protected by bushes so you can't get near them)

Edit: ah wtf, may as well throw this in here. I got a couple lulz from it, anyway.
swsh.jpg

Keikoku said:
The GTA IV fanart is by Romita Jr amirite ?

Oh god that is nowhere near Romita Jr's style. The only similarity MIGHT be the nose and cheekbones, but it is most definitely not Romita Jr. I used to hate Romita Jr for years, but have grown to appreciate him more and more. A very distinct style, and not easily replicated.

John_Romita_Jr__THOR_by_TimTownsend.jpg

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I can't decide if its better then the real thing...Only two series I have activately pursued fanart in have been DMC and Warcraft. A taste of the warcraft. I'll have to go through my DMC file later since its about 10x the size and allot more inappropriate stuff :lol

Night_Elves_by_azazel1944.jpg

brave_man__armor_by_azazel1944.jpg

Both are by the same artist, Some of his drawings include topless so I can't link the site. Sorry.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
That beautiful Sylvannas painting was the winner of the 2007 Blizzard Fan Art Contest... I know because I entered into the contest as well but didn't win. :lol Here was my entry:

Mudora_Full.png

How does Samus fit in that ball? Ohhhhhh

More Samus

Battlefield!

Samus gets a lot of attention

Samus MadWorld

The most Chozo-like depiction of Samus

All Tohou Fanart is better than the official art

Not better than official Zelda art but just so lovely

Lovely Magical Girl Silent Hill

This is a photograph, but obviously still considered art: SILENT HILL NURSE

Silent_Hill_Nurse_Attack_by_HoneyRingoBubbleTea.jpg

I like how the photographer/model didn't resort to a shit ton of 'zombie make-up' to get the point across.

silent_hill___iPod_by_glowrm.jpg

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
daCuk said:
Any of the art drawn by RagingSpaniard

Jocchan said:
This is true. Also, Orioto.

AzureJericho said:
This is an awesome thread. Please continue. :D

Also paging RagingSpainard, orioto & m0dus.

Thanks guys! <3

Some fanart I like that Ive seen recently:

large_image.jpg

large_image.jpg

large_image.jpg

large_image.jpg

(this is a 3d model)
large_image.jpg

dorkimoe said:
ok new favorite

turnip_murder.jpg

For some reason -- all the real-life mario depictions of him and his world are totally fuck-awesome. It's funny how Mario's world when drawn in 'real-dimensions' seems to be tim burton x's 20 fucked up and twisted.

kairu

Rorschach said:
Are you not aware of this one?

34g0g3r.gif

I'm just sayin'...

The face is really only a very small part of the whole image. I think the rest of that samus pic is a consistent level of quality, even though the face may have been a paint over.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Rorschach said:
Are you not aware of this one?

http://i40.tinypic.com/34g0g3r.gif

I'm just sayin'...

People are blowing that out of proportion. For one, 90 percent of concept art in the game industry is traced or painted over from photos so no need to overreact. Two, the guy did a fanart piece because he wanted to, so no harm done and three, that piece still takes a fair amount of skill to make even if you heavily referenced the face (layout, colors, armor, detail levels, e

Syril

I don't know if this is official, but I found one designed as a promotional image for the Virtual Console.

wii_virtual_console_wallpaper_1.jpg

Rorschach

Raging Spaniard said:
People are blowing that out of proportion. For one, 90 percent of concept art in the game industry is traced or painted over from photos so no need to overreact. Two, the guy did a fanart piece because he wanted to, so no harm done and three, that piece still takes a fair amount of skill to make even if you heavily referenced the face (layout, colors, armor, detail levels, e
The way the guy posted it was kinda asking for it. And this thread is about "better than the official thing" not about doing it for the love of it or whatever the heck. I don't think the artists working on MP are tracing over faces, but whatever. I still think it's a cool piece.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
Decided I want to share a few more of my own :)

Created this one for the Brawl thread:

MrCheezOlimar.jpg

And this model I did during all the Brawl hype as well... Skull Kid is a character I was hoping to see appear in the game:

skullkidposed_full.png
skullkidmodelsheet_full.png

Did this one a number of years ago:

ganonsregret_full.png

----

Here are some random awesome pieces that aren't mine,

This one is from an artist named Dan Schoening (his Punch Out wallpaper was posted earlier in this thread... I love this simple style with a heavy emphasis on shapes):

zelda_dans.jpg

Someone in the GAF "draw in MSPAINT" thread did this one! It's awesome:

secretofmanamspaintart.gif

This guy did each Brawl character as a sprite as they were announced leading up to the game's release:

brawlspriteart_small.jpg

Absolutely love this (best crossover ever?):

mariokilledninjaturtles.jpg

Top Bottom