• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video of Ouya dev console unboxing, complete with early controller

Z3M0G

Should really be a new thread but the first Ouya console rival is now on Kickstarter:- http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/872297630/gamestick-the-most-portable-tv-games-console-ever
ef3337e96f68824d99995ed818e1e02d.png

controller___stick_profile.jpg

... ok, that is pretty neat!

Durante

They are using Amlogic 8726-MX dualcore A9 CPU@1.5GHz + Mali400 GPU@400Ghz, 1GB RAM, 8GB flash storage, Android 4.1 Jelly Bean platform. Someone can tell how it compares to OUYA Tegra3 chipset? I guess Mali400 should be a decent mobile gpu chip.
It's a 2 core Mali 400, about on par with (or slightly below) the 2nd gen iPad graphics performance wise. And the CPU is half the cores of Ouya at slightly (or more than slightly, if it's clocked at 2 GHz) frequency.

Tash

If possible, could you give us any impressions on the feeling of the D-Pad?

I can't really comment much since we have to get some games on it first but in my humble opinion it feels really comfortable. The angles of the buttons and the pad itself are great and feel...right (for lack of better words). It's of course lighter than the xbox or ps pads. The only thing that bugs me a bit are the top triggers - they seem a bit awkwardly placed angle wise and have a rough corner at the top but other then it feels very intuitive for other d-pad users with the addition of the before-mentioned angles I think are extremely comfortable. Iirc they also mentioned they are going to make some adjustments for the actual release pads and mentioned the top triggers.

Responsiveness, I can't really talk about yet but hopefully soon. We are going to try to port one of our games and see if we can get it to run.

So to recap, we all agree that it lays amazingly well in your hands.

I can't really comment much since we have to get some games on it first but in my humble opinion it feels really great. The angles of the buttons and the pad itself are great and feel...right (for lack of better words). It's of course lighter than the xbox or ps pads. The only thing that bugs me a bit are the top triggers - they seem a bit awkwardly placed angle wise and have a rough corner at the top but other then it feels very intuitive for other d-pad users with the addition of the before-mentioned angles I think are extremely comfortable. Iirc they also mentioned they are going to make some adjustments for the actual release pads and mentioned the top triggers.

Responsiveness, I can't really talk about yet but hopefully soon. We are going to try to port one of our games and see if we can get it to run.

Cool, thanks. One of my concerns with this thing was the overall feeling of the controller.

Tash

Cool, thanks. One of my concerns with this thing was the overall feeling of the controller.

Feels like a lighter and more comfortable D-Pad (compared to xbox and ps).
We also just did a test and downloaded one of your android mobile builds of one of our 3D Snowboard games and it worked flawless out of the box (was built in Unity). Quite surprising.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
We really need some better benchmark tests, Sonic 4 looks like it runs well but on mobile devices it's a 30fps game.

Well, unless Boxer8 really dropped the ball, Ouya shouldn't have many problems running Android games. But the question is how much faster is than a regular Tegra III, if at all.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
It's a 2 core Mali 400, about on par with (or slightly below) the 2nd gen iPad graphics performance wise. And the CPU is half the cores of Ouya at slightly (or more than slightly, if it's clocked at 2 GHz) frequency.

Hey, doesn't the PowerVR SGX543MP2 still beat Tegra 3 and Mali 400 4 cores (at 40nm)?

Boerseun

Banned
The Ouya kickstarter was concurrent with the shady ones I mentioned above. They didn't press on bravely, there was no scandal for the others at that time. Some of us simply recognized that all three were promising a revolution when all they were really doing was repackaging commodity Android hardware. It remains to be seen if anything will come of Ouya as a platform, but even if it doesn't the kickstarter alone is probably nicely profitable for them if they just walk away after fulfillment.

From what I gather these are people with histories in the game industry, meaning they've put their reputations (and chances of future employment) on the line. Additionally, if they are to be believed, the OUYA project at large has been mainly funded by investors (meaning accountability beyond Kickstarter), and the Kickstarter campaign is as much about marketing and brand building as anything else. In short, I don't see them walking away unless OUYA is an outright flop, which I personally doubt it will be.

Here's a first test run of Roasty Rooster on OUYA:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...0;end=3:00;autoreplay=false;showoptions=false

*Note the game is un-optimized so there's some lag spikes. Overall it runs well despite being un-optimized.

I am really excited for the potential of this console. I still can't believe that Apple has not coverted the Apple TV into one of these kinds of systems.

They are a Simple iController away from having an easy game console.

elektrixx

Banned
I wouldn't benefit from emulation on the Ouya. For starters, my saves are on the PC.

I don't see the benefit in using an offshoot outdated build of an emulator when PC versions have had the most attention over the years. PC's also compensate when 1:1 isn't perfect by being more powerful.

I regularly play Super Mario 64 and some other N64 games at 16:9. Let's see someone do something like that to impress me.

I got tired of seeing videos of Android games running on OUYA hardware, so here's an early video of my game running on it, a native OUYA game using its interface and controls and the full HD 16:9 screen and all. This is the type of thing I hope we get a lot of at launch in March, rather than cell phone ports.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KniKH9Yfl5Y

alphaNoid

Banned
I just want one for XBMC

Has XBMC even been announced for it? I think as it stand wouldn't you need to root the thing to get out of the OUYA dashboard to then run native android apps? If thats, the case.. why not just use another android device?

I'm hoping you have information I don't, because I would buy one of these for XBMC .. if its built for the OUYA.

Has XBMC even been announced for it? I think as it stand wouldn't you need to root the thing to get out of the OUYA dashboard to then run native android apps? If thats, the case.. why not just use another android device?

I'm hoping you have information I don't, because I would buy one of these for XBMC .. if its built for the OUYA.
Yup it was officially announced

DiscoJer

Yes, it has been announced, and unless something is different in the regular model, you can just add android apps to it without rooting. Most the videos of stuff running on the Ouya have just been sideloaded stuff. And the Ouya is pretty cheap. Sure, if you already have an android device it might be redundant, but the best Tegra 3 processor for $99 vs $199 for a Nexus 7 and more for a Nexus 10 (which seems to be closer to the Ouya's performance level).

I got tired of seeing videos of Android games running on OUYA hardware, so here's an early video of my game running on it, a native OUYA game using its interface and controls and the full HD 16:9 screen and all. This is the type of thing I hope we get a lot of at launch in March, rather than cell phone ports.

Very cool! Reminds me of Sinistar somewhat.

Yeah, but those Exynos dev boards were almost $200 when the Ouya Kickstarter was going on. They've gone under $100 now, so just think what an HDMI stick with comparable power will cost in another 3-6 months when Ouya is actually shipping. Same way Android sticks selling for $70 during the Ouya Kickstarter had single core A8 processors and 512MB of RAM with weak GPUs. Now the $60 ones on Amazon have dual core A9 processors, 1GB of RAM and quad core Mali 400 GPUs. The rate at which these devices are improving is incredible and they're blowing right by Ouya before it even makes it to market.

Speaking of, looks like to coincide with CES the first quad core Android sticks are starting to hit the market. This one is an A9 quad core with 1GB RAM, 8GB flash, built in wifi and bluetooth for $99 shipped.

the ouya comes pre-rooted.

the ouya comes pre-rooted.

Only the dev kits do. The final boxes will have instructions for how to root them, but they will not be pre rooted, and the Ouya Store will not be available on a rooted OUYA (thus there will also be instructions on how to UNroot it). But as has been mentioned, both XBMC and PLEX have been officially announced for OUYA.

I am really excited for the potential of this console. I still can't believe that Apple has not coverted the Apple TV into one of these kinds of systems.

They are a Simple iController away from having an easy game console.

I've wondered the same thing.

I wouldn't benefit from emulation on the Ouya. For starters, my saves are on the PC.

I don't see the benefit in using an offshoot outdated build of an emulator when PC versions have had the most attention over the years. PC's also compensate when 1:1 isn't perfect by being more powerful.

I regularly play Super Mario 64 and some other N64 games at 16:9. Let's see someone do something like that to impress me.

Considering we've got Mario 64 already running very nicely with no effort, I can't imagine some people are not going to make some really cool things happen with this thing. I would think 16:9 wouldn't be that hard to do, as well as some post processing anti aliasing.

Chinner

Banned
i actually think the ouya is a pretty neat system, and i don't really understand the hate but i guess thats fanboys for you. considering for 70 quid you get a) a media box, b) emulation box, c) indie box, and d) an andriod box i think it's a really approachable buy, and considering the size of it you can pretty much take it anywhere with you.

will buy for sure.

edit: nice to see someone is attempting PSemul on this!

But I'm buying a Shield, which makes this device redundant. :/

Not completely, the Shield will only play Android games, not OUYA games, because it won't have access to the OUYA store. An OUYA developer would have to release their game for Android for it to work on a Shield.

The number of Ouya games that aren't already, or won't ever be in Google store is vanishingly small. I don't think any have even been announced.

DiscoJer

Not completely, the Shield will only play Android games, not OUYA games, because it won't have access to the OUYA store. An OUYA developer would have to release their game for Android for it to work on a Shield.

OTOH, I would not be surprised to see an Ouya store on Android. Their Faq says

Can I play my OUYA games on my other Android devices?

Not at this time.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but it doesn't say "No".

To a certain extent, it would make some sense in having a store entirely full of controller enabled games.

Bendik Stang

Neo Member
Great a fan. Gonna look for another media player box now.

We got the dev kit yesterday, and the fan only runs for a sec at startup. It seems like it only turns on the fan when it is hot. I have not tried to play other than the intro video, but it did so without running the fan.

(Not saying you can use it as a media player without the fan kicking in now and then.)

Zelda with spaceships, seems like it could be neat. The camera being so far back (and the ship spending a lot of time near the top of the screen) seems like an issue, but I'm sure you'll be tweaking that.

And good god the YouTube comments are vicious. Is that just because you were the first game on the Reddit list, or did you piss off someone popular?

Tash

1) is the fan noisy? and what can it compare to?

2) how is the ouya otherwise?

1)We hardly notice it to be honest and it only runs at the very start from what I can tell so far and once it run for a while and gets warm. If you run it next to a pc it will get drowned out by the pc (depending on what case and cooling you use I guess)

2)It's definitely "mobile" processing power wise and graphic wise. You can push it nicely but only "so" far.

We got one of our 3D heavy Games running on it today but got some issues with graphics not showing. That's after only one day of looking into it though. I can update with more fan details once we have the game running for a longer time.

More games are starting to appear playable including a 3D punch out style game, beast boxing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShRM6TotVe4

There is also a rather bad video of someone playing NFS most wanted android on Ouya, it looks like a slightly choppy 30fps but it must be running at least 720p, and that is a stock apk file no adjustments to run on ouya.

Card Boy

Banned
More games are starting to appear playable including a 3D punch out style game, beast boxing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShRM6TotVe4

There is also a rather bad video of someone playing NFS most wanted android on Ouya, it looks like a slightly choppy 30fps but it must be running at least 720p, and that is a stock apk file no adjustments to run on ouya.

Nice it looks fantastic. It's a dam shame they didn't wait for Tetra 4 though.

I'm excited. People will shit on it, and then it'll be forgotten about. But while everyone is busy messing the the new Xbox and Playstation, weird Russian and Scandinavian dudes will be making some freaky shit for the OUYA, I guarantee you. I can't wait for the cult of the OUYA to thrive in the recesses of the internet. Every so often Polygon or Kill Screen will report on some extremely strange and weird experimental games on it, and I'll be there with them with my tiny little box ready. They won't be the best games ever. Hell they might not even be good games. But I have this strong feeling that there's going to be some seriously wack entertainment.

I'm excited.

Still waiting for game maker studio ouya output, but I know it'll come at some point.

Is there an ouya unity exporter already or are people just using the standard android exporter?

Speaking of, looks like to coincide with CES the first quad core Android sticks are starting to hit the market. This one is an A9 quad core with 1GB RAM, 8GB flash, built in wifi and bluetooth for $99 shipped.

Man, how exactly do these things work from a practical point of view? What do I/can I plug it into? What's it compatible with?

Man, how exactly do these things work from a practical point of view? What do I/can I plug it into? What's it compatible with?

You plug them into any TV with an HDMI port. Most also need power from a wall adapter or powered USB port. They run stock android. You can control them with USB or Bluetooth keyboards and mice. Android also supports USB and Bluetooth game pads. Often you can plug in a microsd card or USB hard drive for extra storage. Most software from the Google Play app store should work.

Top Bottom