• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video of Ouya dev console unboxing, complete with early controller

Well this console will be cool to play Android exclusives. And its so small that it will be pretty cool to see.

I'd love to see it get a big enough audience to warrant a Giant Bomb app. :)

dumb question: how will gamers pause the games, by hitting the home button? Won't that bring up the system UI?

Hatten

How about booting a game and seeing how it goes? too much to ask for a console?

The worst part is that Tegra 4 is going to be shown at CES in just a few days and from the leaks it looks like a monster, a bigger jump than tegra3 was from tegra2.

Maybe an Exynos or quad S4 would been better?

Nuklear

Banned
It's not a F2P only system. The only requirement is that developers offer some sort of playable demo or free "lite" version of the game ala XBLA.

That makes more sense. It might be worth picking up then. If all else fails I could always turn the thing into a Linux box to host my IRC bot.

herod

How about booting a game and seeing how it goes? too much to ask for a console?

The worst part is that Tegra 4 is going to be shown at CES in just a few days and from the leaks it looks like a monster, a bigger jump than tegra3 was from tegra2.

Maybe an Exynos or quad S4 would been better?

no reason why they can't upgrade the hardware as frequently as smartphones.

dumb question: how will gamers pause the games, by hitting the home button? Won't that bring up the system UI?
Not a dumb question, I'm writing an Ouya game and I've been trying to figure that one out myself. I think by default Android treats the top face-button as an in-game menu button, but I'm not sure.

Aaron

Save for the fact that they'll probably need a new Kickstarter everytime they do an upgrade?
If the console is quality, they'll get buyers who hadn't backed it, which brings more capital in. If it doesn't get buyers it's probably not worth the upgrade anyway.

herod

Save for the fact that they'll probably need a new Kickstarter everytime they do an upgrade?

No, that's bollocks. They won't need to design a new controller and OS/UI every time. Assuming they make money from the original model, they won't need to do that. If they don't, nobody will fund a new kickstarter anyway.

The controller looks fucking hideous. The d-pad looks uncomfortable as hell, ugh...

Other than that, for $99 looking forward to it.

And, they specifically call out the d-pad and the analogue triggers as still being tweaked for final release - there's still time, Nintendo tends to tweak their controllers in the months between E3 and launch as well.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
I want it to succeed.

I'd like for the ultimate endgame to be that they get enough of a library to warrant making the "OUYA Store" available on any Android device where you're guaranteed every game is plug & play with either their controller or a PS3/360 controller. Kinda like Steam's Big Picture Mode but for Android.

But even if they got to that point, I doubt it'd be possible since one of the nice things about the Ouya is that devs only have to test/debug for one specific piece of hardware, as opposed to the tons of Android phones out there.

JordanN

Banned
I want to see the console gain enough recognition for a developer to port next gen multiplats to.

An Ouya/Wii U/PS4/720 cross comparison would be a sight to behold.

How powerful can it really be if it's that small?
It's a Tegra 3 with 1GB of ram.

Edit: So I guess it's similar to a PS Vita but with more RAM and a weaker GPU.

Radec

Can the Ouya do multitasking?

Like you can open a game, go to home, open another game, go home, and open the previous game again like mobile phones can do?

Hatten

This is a debug, development console. Let's let developers make some games on it first, eh?

Its Android running on a Tegra3, there are millions of other phones and tablets with the same combination and you can run nearly anything on them.

All it has is a different launcher, there are many of those too and no compatibility issues afaik

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Any related game development so far? Or did they just release a gaming platform without anything expecting Doom/Hexen hello world ports and Angry Birds native support?

Honest question here.
It's an android platform, it's getting that sort of game. A few indies are jumping on the hype bandwagon in hopes of boosting their games though I doubt it will help either party in the long run. Some won free dev kits via some kind of contest.

That's about it for now (and forever?).

No, that's bollocks. They won't need to design a new controller and OS/UI every time. Assuming they make money from the original model, they won't need to do that. If they don't, nobody will fund a new kickstarter anyway.

One other potential thing, if they do make an upgraded board, they could feasibly sell that separately (Kickstarter, what have you), you buy that, then just unscrew the top of your Ouya and slot the new one in. No need to rebuy all the surrounding plastic, controllers, etc.

You could switch the previous board to using it for purely development if you weren't already, or compatibility testing, or playing with the hardware, etc.

One other potential thing, if they do make an upgraded board, they could feasibly sell that separately (Kickstarter, what have you), you buy that, then just unscrew the top of your Ouya and slot the new one in. No need to rebuy all the surrounding plastic, controllers, etc.

You could switch the previous board to using it for purely development if you weren't already, or compatibility testing, or playing with the hardware, etc.

That is a really cool idea!

also here is a current mockup of the UI:

UI-mockSmall.jpg

Hatten

No need to rebuy all the surrounding plastic, controllers, etc.

The controllers I guess but the case must be worth what, 50 cents? bulk prices I mean.

Instead an addon would be cool but it could go Sega-ish, and that............is not good

iceatcs

Look cool but I might not get it because got to buy the game again separate from android market. Ecosystem has been very important to me so far.
Hopefully it will lead more controller support for android and iPhone apps.

Seik

Banned
I think this little thing got some potential.

Especially if it will run emulators, I will probably grab it when it'll launch.

DiscoJer

Look cool but I might not get it because got to buy the game again separate from android market. Ecosystem has been very important to me so far.
Hopefully it will lead more controller support for android and iPhone apps.

Yeah, to me that's really the catch that didn't occur to me until relatively recently, when I got a Vita and discovered that most of my PSP games on PSN don't work (and no, I don't have a PS3, so I can't try that method). If I buy games on the Ouya, will I ever be able to use them on another device? Probably not. Of course, I might not want to, but still...

Top Bottom