• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video of Ouya dev console unboxing, complete with early controller

IrishNinja

yeah, definitely smaller than i'd imagined...no idea what to expect out of this thing, wish i could mess with a demo unit just to see how the final controller feels

Are you really calling someone out for posting something of questionable usefulness?

EBpPL.gif

Any related game development so far? Or did they just release a gaming platform without anything expecting Doom/Hexen hello world ports and Angry Birds native support?

Honest question here.

Technically, Angry Birds should run anyway since this is Android-based, right?

It's not final, they say it in the video

For most companies that'd be lip-service. It would just mean they didn't want to own up to the negative reactions until the very last second.

But from what I've seen, the Ouya people do seem to be listening, and reacting, to consumer requests. So hopefully yes, if the d-pad reactions are negative, there's a chance we'll get something else in the production models.

So hopefully yes, if the d-pad reactions are negative, there's a chance we'll get something else in the production models.
And no guarantee that will be any good, either.

At least they're being up front about how difficult it is to design a comfortable controller that works well.

Xbox controllers...their just using that $3M to pay the staff they started with...you know, the people who should be/are partners in the business...

saunderez

a pi running raspbmc is cheaper anyway
With absolutely terrible performance. Have fun with that, my Pi is sitting in a drawer collecting dust. Wish I hadn't been mislead about its capabilities when I pre ordered the damn thing. Sure it can do H.264 but as soon as it has to software decode anything its completely useless. My Apple TV2s do a better job.

We really need a Jedi Knight HD Collection to get Academy's multiplayer active again :(

It's my favorite online game.
Same. I would love A one vs one game based around weapon duels with gameplay somewhere in between Jedi Academy and Dark Souls. Spectating etc. Being one v one should mean it wouldn't be very taxing for the tegra 3.

Goldmund

I like the idea, but is there a market for this, or rather: can it sustain itself without really having one outside of the knowing few? I don't mind it lacking in the graphics department, it's a console, after all.

saunderez

Just because the dpad looks like the 360 doesn't mean it's going to feel like the 360. Has everyone forgot about the Sega Saturn dpad that is the disc type and doesn't suck? It's a all to do with the mechanism.

KNT-Zero

I was hoping they would show some kind of menu or something when they were testing if the console works,but they setled with just the logo on the screen...
132829073637.jpg

herod

With absolutely terrible performance. Have fun with that, my Pi is sitting in a drawer collecting dust. Wish I hadn't been mislead about its capabilities when I pre ordered the damn thing. Sure it can do H.264 but as soon as it has to software decode anything its completely useless. My Apple TV2s do a better job.

then buy a WDTV Live. But why did you expect the Ouya to be any different in the first place?

saunderez

then buy a WDTV Live. But why did you expect the Ouya to be any different in the first place?
I didn't. I bought my Ouya for games. I'm warning people not to expect a Raspberry Pi to be a good media center. I'm more than happy with my Apple TV 2s running XBMC but was massively disappointed with the performance of the Pi. Sometimes I think people recommend stuff they haven't even tried.

herod

I didn't. I bought my Ouya for games. I'm warning people not to expect a Raspberry Pi to be a good media center. I'm more than happy with my Apple TV 2s running XBMC but was massively disappointed with the performance of the Pi. Sometimes I think people recommend stuff they haven't even tried.

mine plays everything I've tried, but then I suppose it is mostly h.264 and/or they've fixed any issues since you last used it.

Linux raspbmc 3.6.7 #1 PREEMPT Tue Nov 20 23:18:55 UTC 2012 armv6l GNU/Linux

saunderez

mine plays everything I've tried, but then I suppose it is mostly h.264 and/or they've fixed any issues since you last used it.
H.264 works great but unfortunately it didn't like some of my DivX/XViD stuff so much. Maybe they have fixed it but my experience wasn't great and soured me a bit given I waited months for my pre order to arrive. Given that Tegra 3 is drastically more powerful than the CPU in the Pi I expect fewer problems on the Ouya.

Coolwhip

Banned
Looks pretty interesting. Wont these simple games become part of TV's in the near future though? I guess it will take a while for that to happen, but still.

wii_HD

Neo Member
I am interested the performance of this device and the Android port of RetroArch multi emulator (8bit/16bit/Neo-Geo/CPS2) should be out any day now.

So.. What does this thing do? It's just going to play android games or something? Also, any chance of being able to plug in a 360 controller since it has a similar layout?

Haunted

doesn't make it a "modern standard" though
360 controller being the de facto PC standard makes it the modern standard. Boom.

Didn't you know it became the modern standard?
The one thing they shouldn't have copied. ;_;

That said, and I know purists will hang me for this; I'd be fine with next generation controllers ditching the dpad altogether. Use the space on the controller for something more useful.

herod

H.264 works great but unfortunately it didn't like some of my DivX/XViD stuff so much. Maybe they have fixed it but my experience wasn't great and soured me a bit given I waited months for my pre order to arrive. Given that Tegra 3 is drastically more powerful than the CPU in the Pi I expect fewer problems on the Ouya.

yeah, it's still in beta, so it can't really be surprising that bits don't work, surely.

still, it is a little bit ahead of where Ouya is anyway.

edit:

according to the forum there was a bug with SD playback a couple of months ago

also, you have to buy keys to unlock mpeg-2 and/or vc-1 hardware playback, these can be bought on the http://www.raspberrypi.com/ site, they're very cheap.

http://www.raspberrypi.com/mpeg-2-license-key/

FranXico

It looks great, it will make a fine collector's item. Besides, who knows? Maybe some interesting games will come out of this.

I would prefer the controller analogues to be symmetric, though. Having said that, I can play with the left stick on either location, so that's not that important for me. The atrocious 360 dpad, on the other hand, that I can't stand.

saunderez

yeah, it's still in beta, so it can't really be surprising that bits don't work, surely.

still, it is a little bit ahead of where Ouya is anyway.

edit:

according to the forum there was a bug with SD playback a couple of months ago

also, you have to buy keys to unlock mpeg-2 and/or vc-1 playback, these can be bought on the http://www.raspberrypi.com/ site, they're very cheap.

http://www.raspberrypi.com/mpeg-2-license-key/

Thanks for the info. Anyway we should probably stop threadshitting about the Pi and leave it there. Once again thanks for the info I will definitely be looking into this further.

What a pointless console.

Well, people voted for it to come into existence with their wallets, so there is a demand for it. There's been a few concepts like this in the past, such as the Gamepark 32, GP2X and Gizmondo (Haha, yeah, I know) that have tried to fill this niche before/. So there is some market for it.

It is definitely an interesting experiment to see how this console will unfold, and I am surprised that they got it into this stage of development so fast.

e: Broken dreams and fans to crank up the performance of these games*

I laughed when she mentioned that in the video. With such a small space to work with, what could modders do to this thing? I suppose, someone could take it apart and try to make a portable gaming device out of it, with its own screen. But then again, you would have something similar to an Android phone.

Shtof

Left stick in the wrong place. Oh, those sticks look horrrible by the way. Probably hard to match Sony/MS/Nintendo analog stick R&D when you're a really small company.

BadSanta

Here’s a list of the Dev Console package contents if you can’t watch the video right now:

Jet-black OUYA Devs package (“Thanks for believing”)
Official Developer Welcome Letter (Frameable!)
One frosted translucent OUYA Dev Console (Surprise! We included a Micro-USB port, for your computer-hooking-up pleasure.)
Two frosted translucent OUYA Dev Controllers (Batteries included!)
HDMI cable
Micro-USB cable
Power adapter

Loxley

I do wish them luck, and might actually pick one up if we ever do get to the point where they become publicly available. I think the console is a cool idea.

BriBri

While I can't see me getting much playtime out of mine (may try a few indie games, and of-course FF III), I do wish them all the luck. That prototype transparent is sure uglier than the transparent 3DS LL though!

Top Bottom