• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video: 'Wii U' console

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
From Kotaku:

This is the Wii U console, the part of Nintendo's big new gaming machine that's been getting a lot less attention than its stunning screen-based controller. I got my hands on the console today. Take a video tour with me.

A few important notes:

1) There is an error in the video... I thought that the Wii U could be stood vertically, but the pieces of plastic I describe in the video as feet are not feet. The Wii U will not stand, not on its own. It needs to lie down.

2) You can see four USB ports for this system and an SD Card slot. You won't see an Ethernet jack, suggesting that, like the Wii, this Nintendo console is made to go online strictly via Wi-Fi. Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime cautioned me not to conclude that. Sounds like this design, while apparently final, is still open to some tweaks.

3) You won't see GameCube memory card slots, which the Wii had. That's because Wii U can play Wii games, but isn't backwards compatible to GameCube.

4) You won't see a way to plug the rechargable screen controller into the Wii U. The yellow port I point out in the video is power, the black port an AV port. Perhaps the controller plugs into USB, or there'll be a USB power dock? Hard to say. We've not been shown whatever charging station will be used to recharge the controller.

5) The unit didn't feel much heavier than a Wii, though it's not clear if this unit is a finished device with all the required guts. The machine seems to be about as wide as a Wii, and similarly thick, but it does appear to be longer. To use a metaphor rather than an actual size comparison, think of the relative relationship between letter size paper and legal size paper.

6) I hadn't realized until I was done handling the unit that I had some ink on my left hand—whoops! I got a little ink on the system's front hatch. It wiped off with a tissue. I apologized profusely.

I like the hardware. It looks good. What do you think?

http://kotaku.com/5810084/

BTW, I thnk the two like bumps at the side of the console is to make sure that the exhaust fan won't be be obstructed by a flat surface.

Edit: Please edit my thread title with my latest one. Thanks.

Matt

Vic said:
BTW, I thnk the two like bumps at the side of the console is to make sure that the exhaust fan won't be be obstructed by a flat surface.
That's exactly right.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Vic said:
Likely.

Chao

I see many ventilation holes, that's a good signal. This machine will need to cool down a lot of heat.

Vinci

Danish
I like how it's super long and the controller is so damned wide. They seem like a perfectly matched odd couple.

Jocchan said:
No controller/memory card ports is a very strong hint.

PS3 didn't have PS2 controller ports or memory ports either!

actually...ignore that point

Xbox 360 didn't have Xbox controller ports or memory ports either!

I think it will be cool to play Gamecube/Wii games on the WiiU controller. (you can play Wii games on it, right?)

Exuro

It really looks like a 'Wii 2.0'. I like the look. I'm hoping nothing was compromised in wanting to retain the small form factor.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
AceBandage said:
I do hope they include an Ethernet port. My WiFi works fine but I like the stability of wired for consoles.
Didn't the Wii supported ethernet through a USB adapter?

AceBandage said:
I do hope they include an Ethernet port. My WiFi works fine but I like the stability of wired for consoles.

No wired connection means absolutely no buy for me, I have more reasons but that put the nail in the coffin.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Always-honest said:
for the love of god, WHY NO SEPERATE AUDIO OUT?????? OPTICAL OUT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nintendo: "What? HDMI does audio also!"

Busaiku said:
It looks pretty long.

s-MICHAEL-SCOTT-large300.jpg

udivision

babyghost853 said:
No wired connection means absolutely no buy for me, I have more reasons but that put the nail in the coffin.
USB -> Ethernet Port like the Wii, probably

There's 4 this time around, too.

Ah, what am I saying. You never had any intention to buy it anyway :-/

Good to see so many vents.

iNvidious01 said:
would have looked better in black
I'd rather they went back to SNES gray or at least whatever the Dreamcast was. Getting a little tired of gloss regardless of color.

Dunlop

Vic said:
Didn't the Wii supported ethernet through a USB adapter?

it was an adapter you needed to buy from Nintendo directly I believe. There was a USB wifi adapter you could connect to you PC but back in the day it had no support for that cutting edge windows vista.....

This system better have a proper ethernet jack

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
babyghost853 said:
The Wii had an Ethernet <--> USB adapter. This one will probably do the same (perhaps the same adapter will still work?).

clav

Dunlop said:
it was an adapter you needed to buy from Nintendo directly I believe. There was a USB wifi adapter you could connect to you PC but back in the day it had no support for that cutting edge windows vista.....

The DS/3DS didn't have an ethernet jack.

Nintendo's not going to include one. Go buy a USB adapter.

AlphaTwo00 said:
My receiver still doesn't do HDMI audio decoding. I rather still have an optical out.

I think he knows that. He was making a Nintendo joke response.

antonz said:
Thats exactly it. Their PR sheet says audio over the A/V port or 6 channel over HDMI
fuck.. so for decent sound, you'll need a receiver that has HDMI in and out. There is always something with these Nintendo machines.

udivision said:
USB -> Ethernet Port

There's 4 this time around, too.

So you are saying I should go out and buy an adaptor for something that should be in the box? Funny man, you're funny.

Edit: I buy things I think are worth it. And certain things I refuse to do without, a wired connection is one of those things, call me a troll or whatever, I don't care. I had no interest in Wii what so ever, so I never posted in a Wii thread, or stated my opinions about it, I did up until this point have some interest in the Wii U, that has now changed and I will no longer post in any related threads. Have fun defending Nintendo.

clav

babyghost853 said:
So you are saying I should go out and buy an adaptor for something that should be in the box? Funny man, you're funny.
Nintendo is pulling a Steve Jobs dealwithit.jpg.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
babyghost853 said:
Going out is fun. Every day is a new adventure.

Dunlop said:

You're thinking about the old adapter to make ethernet -> WiFi and I'm pretty sure that everyone else is talking about the usb adapter that adds an ethernet port to the Wii.
babyghost853 said:
Didn't MS do the same thing by leaving WiFi out before the slim? Sony was the only one who got it right from the start and made everyone happy. . . until they started removing features at least.

Top Bottom