• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video: 'Wii U' console

udivision

babyghost853 said:
So you are saying I should go out and buy an adaptor for something that should be in the box? Funny man, you're funny.
If you thought it was worth it, yeah. If not, no.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Saint Gregory said:
You're thinking about the old adapter to make ethernet -> WiFi and I'm pretty sure that everyone else is talking about the usb adapter that adds an ethernet port to the Wii.
Yup.

ZZQDv.jpg

Woffls

dawww no Ethernet? :( Might not have wired at my next place anyway, but I do like having as much stuff wired as possible.

Glix

Always-honest said:
fuck.. so for decent sound, you'll need a receiver that has HDMI in and out. There is always something with these Nintendo machines.

I'm in the same boat as you...

But really, my receiver is old as hell, I would think most theater setups have HDMI receivers at this point.

Dunlop

claviertekky said:
The DS/3DS didn't have an ethernet jack.

Nintendo's not going to include one. Go buy a USB adapter.

makes sense on a handheld. Makes no sence on a console that is generally going to be in the same place.

they can add the 8 cents per console to include it

I had the same dumbfounded look when I realized my wii did not have an ethernet port as when I picked up my new PS3 and it came with composite cables

J-Rock

Banned
Anyone remember if the Wii and it's remote had any small design changes from it's reveal to it's actual launch?

Glix said:
I'm in the same boat as you...

But really, my receiver is old as hell, I would think most theater setups have HDMI receivers at this point.
Yeah, but now we have to buy a new one JUST for the Wii-U. It's old, but it woks fine. Optical is magic man, MAGIC>

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
J-Rock said:
Anyone remember if the Wii and it's remote had any small design changes from it's reveal to it's actual launch?
The remote didn't have a speaker, and the 1 and 2 buttons were called "a" and "b".

Doesn't the Wii U controller have an HDMI connection?
Is that gonna get removed for retail? Or can we connect our Wii U's to a 3rd screen like in the videos from the show floor

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Vic said:
BTW, I thnk the two like bumps at the side of the console is to make sure that the exhaust fan won't be be obstructed by a flat surface.

I think those bumps will fit into dedicated holes in the inner part of the vertical stand. Since the side is rounded, a concave stand won't be able to keep it vertical otherwise.

steadfast

DefectiveReject said:
Doesn't the Wii U controller have an HDMI connection?
Is that gonna get removed for retail? Or can we connect our Wii U's to a 3rd screen like in the videos from the show floor

Controller is wireless. That wasn't an a/v cable, that was a security cable

Why don't you guys just plug all your HDMI devices into your TV and then take the optical out from the TV to your receiver?

My surround sound set only has 1 optical in and this is what I do. Have my PS3, Sky HD, DVD recorder etc all plugged into the TV through HDMI and take the TV's optical out to the receiver. No fuss and it all works great.

My receivers do HDMI audio but leaving out optical seems like a bad idea for the majority of people. I don't think I've ever even seen an output device before that had HDMI but not optical output as an option.
EternalDarko said:
Why don't you guys just plug all your HDMI devices into your TV and then take the optical out from the TV to your receiver?

My surround sound set only has 1 optical in and this is what I do. Have my PS3, Sky HD, DVD recorder etc all plugged into the TV through HDMI and take the TV's optical out to the receiver. No fuss and it all works great.
Because until recently most TVs didn't output 5.1 or higher over their optical connections for devices connected by HDMI. I have two fairly recent high end Samsungs that don't at least.

Exuro

J-Rock said:
The branding on the console was changed from Revolution to Wii. I don't think the original Wiimote had a speaker on it either.

steadfast

TTP said:
I think those bumps will fit into dedicated holes in the inner part of the vertical stand. Since the side is rounded, a concave stand won't be able to keep it vertical otherwise.

They wouldn't have a stand that completely covers up the exhaust ports. Those nubs are just to keep it from being put flush against a flat surface, like the OP suggested.

Dunlop

The Dutch Slayer said:
I paid over 45 because I had to import mine from play-asia because they did not sell it for a wile in the EU........

When I got my Wii I would have needed to order from Nintendo US and pay shipping/duty (I'm in Canada).

Just kept the thing offline until I picked up a wireless router...and then kept it offline anyways :p

nowadays everyone has a wireless router so not such a huge deal.

steadfast said:
Controller is wireless. That wasn't an a/v cable, that was a security cable
I'm pretty sure there's videos of controllers connected to tv's so you can see what. The person with the controller is looking at.
I'm also sure in one of the hands on of the controller someone points out the connection on the bottom??

Dunlop said:
nowadays everyone has a wireless router so not such a huge deal.
I have wireless in my house for the past 6 years that is not the problem.
Everything in my house is WIRED because I love the reliable connection, I put cable through walls up to 2 floors for most of the rooms.
SO I want my console to be able to have a wired more reliable connection :p.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
steadfast said:
They wouldn't have a stand that completely covers up the exhaust ports. Those nubs are just to keep it from being put flush against a flat surface, like the OP suggested.

The stand itself can have exhaust ports.

Adding those nubs for the sole purpose of keeping it away from a flat surface sounds "over-scrupulous" to me :D

Besides being the surface curved, you'd never be able to block the exhaust port anyway against a flat surface.

wsippel

Banned
The Dutch Slayer said:
That is no special "nintendo hdmi" or something like that.
Nintendo is not very standard in anything so that is why people are still surprised
Nintendo uses standard SD cards and in this case even standard USB hard drives. Also, the ethernet adapter doesn't have to be by Nintendo as long as it uses a certain chipset. They don't use proprietary connectors for headsets or remotes, either.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
babyghost853 said:
So you are saying I should go out and buy an adaptor for something that should be in the box? Funny man, you're funny.
Yeah, they all do it. At least Nintendo has let us use SD cards on every system in the past five years, something which completely floors me (in terms of contrast to MS and Sony)

Why would you do that? said:
Hm, so I guess I'm lucky my TV has an Optical Out that will take HDMI audio and output it to my receiver.
My TV does too, but from what I've tried and understand, in that case, the TV strips it down to just a 2.0 signal into optical, which defeats any 5.1 possibilities.

cloudyy

Last time we had a controller almost as big as the console, it was called Dreamcast. It was white and the controller had a screen too. Just saying...

antonz

cloudyy said:
Last time we had a controller almost as big as the console, it was called Dreamcast. It was white and the controller had a screen too. Just saying...
Well I guess its a good thing Nintendo didnt fuck over retailers making it possible for another company to convince retail to abandon support. That and the whole billions of dollars in the warchest help too

ombz

Is this the first time in a while Nintendo hasn't shown of a console in multiple colors (then ends up only releasing 1)?

The_Technomancer said:
Yeah, they all do it. At least Nintendo has let us use SD cards on every system in the past five years, something which completely floors me (in terms of contrast to MS and Sony)
My PS3 can read SD cards as well as a few other card types, it can also read USB thumb drives and external HDDs.

Granted, I guess they removed that feature after the 80GB model ran it's course, but it did launch and have that feature for a couple years.

AlphaTwo00 said:
My TV does too, but from what I've tried and understand, in that case, the TV strips it down to just a 2.0 signal into optical, which defeats any 5.1 possibilities.
Not sure if this is a characteristic of the audio chip in your TV, but mine does not have this issue. 5.1 Dolby Digital and DTS works fine in this method.

Top Bottom