• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video: 'Wii U' console

BitchTits

I don't mind it's length, in terms of width it looks pretty similar to the Wii. It looks smart and compact from the front.

I don't see where all the early comparisons to the SFC were coming from, it basically looks like a more rounded Wii.

Always-honest said:
Yeah, but now we have to buy a new one JUST for the Wii-U. It's old, but it woks fine. Optical is magic man, MAGIC>

The 360 HDMI cables had an optical adapter built in to the cable, hopefully Nintendo release their own version. Or the 360 might even work on the Wiiu?

Sutton Dagger said:
The 360 HDMI cables had an optical adapter built in to the cable, hopefully Nintendo release their own version. Or the 360 might even work on the Wiiu?
that´s what i´m hoping for. I have one for my 360.

edit: the 360 one will never ever work for the wii-u i think.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Always-honest said:
that´s what i´m hoping for. I have one for my 360.

edit: the 360 one will never ever work for the wii-u i think.

I was about to say that.

But you don't need to worry yet. For all we know, Wii U might just support stereo sound anyway :p

Always-honest said:
Yeah, but now we have to buy a new one JUST for the Wii-U. It's old, but it woks fine. Optical is magic man, MAGIC>

Most new recievers are 7.1 or 5.1 with the ability to play two speakers from the right and from left channels or let you have speaker A/B set up for another room.

So ... if you buy a new reciever ... you might feel inclined to buy more speakers too.

TwinIonEngines said:
I swear it's like Nintendo is nursing a grudge against TOSlink. Did they have a fight with Toshiba I don't know about?
There's a pattern with Nintendo: no DVD, no TOSLINK, no Blu-ray, no HD-DVD, etc. Nintendo does not want to pay licensing fees to other companies. Nintendo would rather pay the R&D cost of developing a proprietary anything over paying a licensing fee.

Always-honest said:
indeed, that's how they think.
I don't understand why someone would want to use HDMI video with optical audio. Lossy audio when I can get loss-less? That's an easy choice.

grap3fruitman said:
I don't understand why someone would want to use HDMI video with optical audio. Lossy audio when I can get loss-less? That's an easy choice.

What if your reciever passes video through HDMI only? Most first gen HDMI receivers were like this unless you spent 1000's. They're more reasonable now in the 300 dollar entry range, but a lot of people haven't upgraded. I was recenetly in the boat until this last year. Anyone in this boat would much rather 5.1 digitial over optical than RCA.

Jocchan said:
No controller/memory card ports is a very strong hint.

That's a weak excuse from Nintendo to not include GC BC. That "problem" was solved 5 years ago by Sony.

I assume this means there won't be GC disc dumps sold on the virtual console. They would have to be HD ports so to speak.

And no ethernet? Come on Nintendo, you're supposed to fix the Wii's problems, not continue them.

EDIT: Damn that thing is long. No wonder Nintendo only showed it from the front. Looks disgusting.

So much for the "modern SNES" rumors. Can someone tally a list of the things IGN got wrong about this system? Pretty much all reports that were anywhere near accurate came from 01.net and *gasp* kotaku.

Fourth Storm said:
So much for the "modern SNES" rumors. Can someone tally a list of the things IGN got wrong about this system? Pretty much all reports that were anywhere near accurate came from 01.net and *gasp* kotaku.
Someone needs to take BlacknMild2k1's massive list of rumors and check them for Confirmed/Plausible/Busted.

klier

Vic said:
BTW, 4 USB ports? Why?

Because:

wsippel said:
Nintendo uses standard SD cards and in this case even standard USB hard drives. Also, the ethernet adapter doesn't have to be by Nintendo as long as it uses a certain chipset. They don't use proprietary connectors for headsets or remotes, either.

Meaning, you can use pretty much whatever usb device you want on the Wii U; your own HDD, your own headset, own keyboard and your own whatever for the extra usb (the ethernet adapter)..

A 2 terrabyte HDD is quite a bit more than my 120 Gig PS3 :D Plus maybe a 2 gig SD card? Damn. Enough space for every Nintendo game ever made? I think so....

KrawlMan

Vic said:
Why when you can remake them in HD and charge $40-50 bucks each?

Lol, definitely this. Nintendo (or at least Reggie) is all hopped up on their newly discovered buzz word "HD." I Expect a future with many HD GCN ports. Maybe a few "Screen Play Control" updates. Not gonna lie, I would re-purchase Wind Waker in HD (quiet all you Dolphin people, I know it exists...)

klier

KrawlMan said:
Lol, definitely this. Nintendo (or at least Reggie) is all hopped up on their newly discovered buzz word "HD." I Expect a future with many HD GCN ports. Maybe a few "Screen Play Control" updates. Not gonna lie, I would re-purchase Wind Waker in HD (quiet all you Dolphin people, I know it exists...)

HD remakes of Wind Waker, Luigi's Mansion and Pikmin 1/2 in HD using full Wii U power? I'd pay so much money for that!!

You can't blame them when people (myself included) go apeshit for the PS3 HD collections. Insert "it prints money" GIF here.

Zizbuka

Banned
Busaiku said:
It looks pretty long.

If I had a nickel for every time I heard that.........

My gaming is almost exclusively on PC these days. I bought a Wii for the family, since it wasn't just more of the same, and that'll probably be the case here.

Kudos to Nintendo for being different.

Christine

H_Prestige said:
EDIT: Damn that thing is long. No wonder Nintendo only showed it from the front. Looks disgusting.

No! Is fucking sexy; like 1541 drive.

imagesqtbnANd9GcQniDLroYFPmBnMWH6iHxICeZE1PCML0qzmeuySzDC9o-C45Mr2iA.jpg

Fenderputty said:
What if your reciever passes video through HDMI only? Most first gen HDMI receivers were like this unless you spent 1000's. They're more reasonable now in the 300 dollar entry range, but a lot of people haven't upgraded. I was recenetly in the boat until this last year. Anyone in this boat would much rather 5.1 digitial over optical than RCA.
This. Thank you.

I'm on a ~4 year old receiver that was mid-range at the time ~$300, and it only does pass-through. My 360 and PS3 goes HDMI, an audio goes Optical In for 5.1. Unless I upgrade (and I really don't want to right now), I'm SOL for the WiiU

I just thought of something. What parent in their right mind is going to buy a Wiiu for a young child? That controller looks WAY too fragile to handle the abuse dished out by kids.....

CFMOORE!

outunderthestars said:
I just thought of something. What parent in their right mind is going to buy a Wiiu for a young child? That controller looks WAY too fragile to handle the abuse dished out by kids.....

i don't see that being much of a problem, plus they'll probably make a strap/condom combo for it too.

Top Bottom