• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

Celine

Kirby cameo in Arcana

arcana_2.png

I never killed Magus in Chrono Trigger so I'm more shocks about the got the amulet bit. Given it was a memento (would have been better if it was him himself giving it to his younger self in a messed up time loop way).

wiimote is gyro and stuff, while the games used some kind of liquid (quicksilver?). That was also the cause why they didn't release in some countrys.
no toys with dangerous liquids!
Not this again. Firstly the false rumour is Wario Ware twisted used liquid mercury. This is proven false easily; it is a peizoelectric gyroscope hence why the word word gyro is used. In fact the produces themselves reference it.

As for lack of Euroepan release. My guess is NOE didn't want to spend extra on the cart and/or they left it so long NEC no longer made the required part.

Unless you were talking about Kirby Tilt N Tumble in which case it used a Microelectromechanical systems (MEMS) chip which is some sort of sensor. As for that being skipped in Europe. Kirby games always sell badly here (this lead to Claus D. Moyse forming an irrational hatred for both Kirby and Sakurai) so again the cost.

I don't know what Yoshis Universal Graviation/Topsey Turvey used apart from it not being very good.

TheYanger

You recognized the amulet on Magus' belt the first time you saw his art?

Nope, that part was kind of neat, but since I hadn't seen the art OF the amulet either it wasn't relevant. The fact that he either drops or comes equipped with the amulet that his sister gave him was completely apparent though and was INTENDED to be noticed.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
You recognized the amulet on Magus' belt the first time you saw his art?

For me, not at first time. It took me awhile to recognized it in the official art. I want to know where did you find the amulet concept art because I never saw it before in any chorno sites.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
wat. More information of this I require.

If you play the Oracles on a GBA, there's a shop in the beginning town that sells you rare Rings and Seed, iirc.

Also, in response to Kirby's name, no one remembers, but both him being named after Nintendo's Lawyer who defended them during the Universal Donkey Kong trial, and after the vacuum cleaning company, are both viable inspirations. Maybe both.

Link1110

wat. More information of this I require.

I remember that, I was annoyed because I didn't have a GBA at the time. I think the games came out here before the GBA. Because I also specifically recall running into and buying an import GBA the day before the system was released in America.

blind51de

Banned
This is a very, very long topic.

Has anyone made an index for it recently? Sorry to ask, but this is the fourth time I've tried and lost interest.

Cheerilee

Huh, apparently Kirby is named after a lawyer.

Yes and no.

John Kirby saved Nintendo's butt when Universal was suing them, claiming that Donkey Kong infringed on King Kong. After this, it was advised that Nintendo creators clear all of their names with the legal department before using them.

Nintendo supposedly sent a list of potential Kirby names across John Kirby's desk, and he saw "Kirby" on the list and said "Ha ha, nice one guys. Okay then, we'll use that one." And since "Kirby" got the stamp of approval by the legal department, that became the game/character's name.

But Sakurai didn't know who John Kirby was, and is pretty sure "Kirby" was just included on the list of potential names because it's the (trademark infringing) name of a Japanese vacuum cleaner.

In Super Mario Sunshine, there's a guy who likes to race with you for some shines. He always wears a mask, so you don't see his face. But if you remove his mask, you can actually see his fully textured face:

Does he remind you of someone?

Back when Mario Sunshine first came out I argued with my brother endlessly over this.
But even with the mask on, it's still...pretty obvious. I guess that's the key to success in this thread: posting things you assumed were obvious to Nintendo fans.

dock

What the hell. I can actually hear rouge and US Luke's voice!

UK Luke is better, by the way :3

Wait, they redubbed Luke for the UK? I could have sworn my friends have a mix of UK and US versions, and the PAL DVD was the same hammy 'dick van dyke' style accent.

Clipper

I don't really get this... logical ergonomic shape is similar to previous logical ergonomic shape. Well shit the bed.

Of course it makes sense. The surprising thing is people don't often notice that similarity.

What you're saying is like saying, "I don't really get this... a company that moves items from point A to point B has an arrow visible within their logo."

TheYanger

Of course it makes sense. The surprising thing is people don't often notice that similarity.

What you're saying is like saying, "I don't really get this... a company that moves items from point A to point B has an arrow visible within their logo."

Those aren't remotely the same thing. This is akin to pointing at a PS1 controller and a PS3 controller and noting the ergonomics, you're not looking for something from nothing you're just noting a similarity that was completely obvious in the first place between two analagous products.

Clipper

Those aren't remotely the same thing. This is akin to pointing at a PS1 controller and a PS3 controller and noting the ergonomics, you're not looking for something from nothing you're just noting a similarity that was completely obvious in the first place between two analagous products.

The difference being that nobody is going to miss noticing the similarities between Dualshock iterations. Not everybody notices the similarity between the nunchuck and central prong of the N64 controller, though.

It's also similar to how the Wii console, its power brick, the power plug on the Wii side and several other design aspects of the Wii and its accessories all share the rectangle with cut off corner shape. Yes, once you've seen it, it's generally clear why its been done (to ensure you put things in the correct orientation and so on). However, it's not obvious from first glance as nothing clearly highlights the point and hence its quite easy to miss.

That is the target for observational mind blowing posts like that one. The, "Oh, why did I never notice that before?" effect.

CLEEK

It's also similar to how the Wii console, its power brick, the power plug on the Wii side and several other design aspects of the Wii and its accessories all share the rectangle with cut off corner shape. Yes, once you've seen it, it's generally clear why its been done (to ensure you put things in the correct orientation and so on).

The cut off corners is just classic Japanese poka-yoke design.

Icomp

I have no idea if this has been posted before but I don't really feel like looking through 200+ pages.

If you put your SoTN cd in your computer you can listen to this track: after listening to some advice from Alucard. :)

Rapstah

I just realised that the sound that plays in Pitfall on the Atari 2600 as you swing in vines is probably supposed to be the character screaming like Tarzan rather than some generic noise that the vine makes. It blew my mind.

Platy

Not exactly mind blowing, but all my life i was SURE that the game copyed the movie ... but

Gabriel_Knight_The_Beast_Within.jpg

Gabriel Knight - The Beast Within came out in 1995, while

Frighteners_ver1.jpg

Peter Jackson's awesome horror/comedy movie The Frighteners is from 1996

Also, in my memory they were MUCH more equal =P

I'm just going to leave this really hard to spot hidden picture from Chrono Cross here.

xl8Jf.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

It's actually just a repetition of the texture used for the statues in the background of that battle scene. Casting Black Hole does this visual effect thingy with any background, and here it just happens to look like that due to the statue's texture.

http://www.chronocompendium.com/Forums/index.php/topic,4572.0.html

eaiXY.jpg

Some people thought this was a hidden picture of Schala and Janus somehow hidden there, of all places, but nope.

Not exactly mind blowing, but all my life i was SURE that the game copyed the movie ... but

Gabriel_Knight_The_Beast_Within.jpg

Gabriel Knight - The Beast Within came out in 1995, while

Frighteners_ver1.jpg

Peter Jackson's awesome horror/comedy movie The Frighteners is from 1996

Also, in my memory they were MUCH more equal =P

Whenever I see the new Saint Vincent album I do a double take and think that Gabriel Knight somehow made it onto my iTunes.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Caiman_Star_Fox_64.jpg

"Caiman here. No problems."

That line is actually referencing the final words of a real squadron leader who died in World War 2 apparently.

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Last_words

Check in the under the letter C, guy's name was Jack Caiman.

Not this is wikipedia so it's dubious at best, but still interesting.

I'm pretty sure he's also meant to be the animal Caiman as well. :p

It's actually just a repetition of the texture used for the statues in the background of that battle scene. Casting Black Hole does this visual effect thingy with any background, and here it just happens to look like that due to the statue's texture.

Some people thought this was a hidden picture of Schala and Janus somehow hidden there, of all places, but nope.

Huh. I'll be damned. I didn't know the whole significance but I thought it was interesting enough to post and in doing so someone might be able to fill me in in greater detail. Well done.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
This Final Fantasy Mystic Quest melody was practically taken from an R-Type CD (PC Engine CD) ending track. If you are familiar with FFMQ music you can jump right to the R-Type track and you'll be able to tell right away.

FFMQ Forest Theme:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2YWT9yG52g

And here's the R-Type CD ending song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zm4vpljEOfY

Remarkably similar, huh?
Definitely similar, but I wouldn't have a hard time believing it was a coincidence.

Top Bottom