• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

Not exactly mind blowing, but all my life i was SURE that the game copyed the movie ... but

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/32/Gabriel_Knight_The_Beast_Within.jpg
Gabriel Knight - The Beast Within came out in 1995, while

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/63/Frighteners_ver1.jpg
Peter Jackson's awesome horror/comedy movie The Frighteners is from 1996

Also, in my memory they were MUCH more equal =P
Perhaps, Nightmare on Elm Street?

aQHhH.jpg

Myriadis

I think most of you know the PS2 Startup animation.

Did you notice these white towers, some higher than the others? That's not just nice useless eye-candy.

The towers represent games. The more games you play on the PS2, the more towers are added. The longer you play a game, the higher the tower gets.

Sometimes, it erases all towers. I think it happens when you unplug the console.
Edit: It seems that it actually reads data from the memory cards to show the towers.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.

Did you notice these white towers, some higher than the others? That's not just nice useless eye-candy.

The towers represent games. The more games you play on the PS2, the more towers are added. The longer you play a game, the higher the tower gets.

Sometimes, it erases all towers. I think it happens when you unplug the console.

If that's true, then that is incredible!!

Chopper

I tried it for myself. First, I hadn't any towers. I put in a game, resetted the console after the game started and a tower was added. I inserted three more games, resetted and three more towers showed up.
Holy shit! That is fucking awesome. Almost thread-title changingly so!

Zomba13

A NEW CHALLENGER APPEARS!

I did not know that and that really is mind blowing. I love cool little touches like that. I guess I never noticed because I used to unplug the PS2 a lot.

Chopper

I will be interested to see if anyone does know that. In the meantime, I agree. Thread totally redeemed.

It only happens every now and again, but that's a gem. Expect it to pop up on blogs over the next few days now!

From what I've heard, it's up to the data in your memory card.

Drencrom

What the actual fuck, It's true.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBK6hi7JGiI

Shit, I don't have my PS2 atm to check how many towers I have.

Mike M

Nick N
Pretty sure Sony billed the PS2's menu screen being dynamic from dang near the beginning, though I don't think they ever got more specific than it changes the more you play.

wat

RoadDogg

I knew the PS2 boot up changed over time but I never realized it was simply amount of games & time played. I think Kutaragi even said it would change at one point. I always assumed it was something random like time based or something determined by the game in the system though.

Myriadis

From what I've heard, it's up to the data in your memory card.

No, I had two memory cards in the console and no towers showed up when I tested it. The towers only appeared when I started some games, one tower for each game.
Edit: Actually, maybe it has something to do with the MC.

Screenboy

Holy shitballs

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
knew that. thought it was common knowledge like the special z-button start-up music for the gamecube.

/smug

Rufus

Do you have to unplug it to get rid of them, or is turning it off at the back enough to make them disappear? Because I've never put mine in standby, I always turned it off. Might explain why I never noticed anything odd. Then again, I might not have paid enough attention...

Trevelyon

tumblr_l9plibsnsV1qdoghio1_400.gif

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire

HOLY SHIT

thats Mind explosion status

Just hooked up my PS2 slim to check it out. It's been unplugged for the last few months, but the memory cards were still in. When it started up, there were a bunch of towers of varying height. Pretty cool. When I removed the cards, there were no towers at start-up.

So I can at least confirm that all you need is the memory cards inserted at start-up for the slim model.

sSlKi.gif

This wins the thread.

Myriadis

Just hooked up my PS2 slim to check it out. It's been unplugged for the last few months, but the memory cards were still in. When it started up, there were a bunch of towers of varying height. Pretty cool. When I removed the cards, there were no towers at start-up.

So I can at least confirm that all you need is the memory cards inserted at start-up for the slim model.

Yeah, I'm currently testing at which point the towers get erased and/or start up again. It happened to me that I got the towers erased again even though I didn't unplug the console. Combine this with the thing Correctomundo and some other people over the internet say and it seems that the Memory Card really plays a role.
I just don't know why I don't get the "tower data" from the Memory Cards. Other manufactor? Or it's because I deleted the PS2 configuration file? I know that I had the towers for a long time and then they disappeared.

Nonetheless, the tower thing is still real. I just want to know what causes the erasing of the "towers" and why my PS2 don't read the data for the towers anymore. I bet it has something to do with the config file.

reminder

Damn, i wish i still had my PS2 just to have a look how the startup screen looks with my memory card after all those years of gaming!

Brobzoid

I loved how the ps2 memory card files had little 3d renders as icons. If I remember correctly onimusha had a cute little chibi version of the playable character, SotC had the silhouette of the horse, etc.

how about this one then: i like the way you can change the way the sparkly dots flow in the original wave theme background on the ps3. swing your dual shock left, the dots flow left, swing it right, the dots flow right.

Platy

The ps2 one is awesome ! =D

Good to see a non-nintendo mind blowing fact to balance a little xD

knew that. thought it was common knowledge like the special z-button start-up music for the gamecube.

/smug

Z-button start-up music ?

do you mean the Z-button start-up musics ?

I guess it was not so common knowledge as you think =P

Reallink

this is nothing at all but wanted to share it, check out the weird realistic background in mario 64

200px-SM64MetalMario.jpg

I used to stare at those N64 renders as a kid and dream of playing games that looked like that. 16 years later and the closest we've come is Kameo and Banjo.

Rufus

I loved how the ps2 memory card files had little 3d renders as icons. If I remember correctly onimusha had a cute little chibi version of the playable character, SotC had the silhouette of the horse, etc.
They also often had different animations when you went into the deletion dialogue. I did that on every single one just to see what it was.

reminder

Yeah, those were great. I remember the icon of Ridge Racer V being a chibi version of Reiko Nagase and if you were about to delete the save file she cried. :D

Brobzoid

Tekken Tag Tournament had a little Ling Xiayou. If you tried to delete the save, she'd cry.

lol, thinking back this seems to have been a popular one. DMC1 also had a chibi Trish who would cry if you threatened to delete her.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

Edit: It seems that it actually reads data from the memory cards to show the towers.
HA HA That's awesome.

It's these small touches that I appreciate in games. I actually check the memory icon for all my games just to see which developers put care and attention into all aspects of their game.

Top Bottom