• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

LevityNYC

Banned
A NEW CHALLENGER APPEARS!

I did not know that and that really is mind blowing. I love cool little touches like that. I guess I never noticed because I used to unplug the PS2 a lot.

People didn't know that? That was pretty common knowledge back on the old Playstation forums.

TheOGB

Banned
I think most of you know the PS2 Startup animation.

Did you notice these white towers, some higher than the others? That's not just nice useless eye-candy.

The towers represent games. The more games you play on the PS2, the more towers are added. The longer you play a game, the higher the tower gets.

Sometimes, it erases all towers. I think it happens when you unplug the console.
Edit: It seems that it actually reads data from the memory cards to show the towers.
citizenkane.gif

teiresias

I thought the PS2 "tower" thing was well known at the time? Odd that it wasn't.

Anyway, if you watch the circle of lights after the PS2 boots up (the ones to the left of the Browser & System Configuration selections), the little trails left after the lights as they turn frequently make an 'S' shape as well. It probably depended on the response of your TV whether you'd see it easily, and I don't even know if it would show up well on an LCD or Plasma, it sort of depended on the decay time of a phosphor on a CRT (though that means it may work well on a Plasma). It's easiest to see it in this video:

http://youtu.be/BS3Ly7rdY4E

this is nothing at all but wanted to share it, check out the weird realistic background in mario 64

200px-SM64MetalMario.jpg
I had this poster on my wall for years. It was from NIntendo Power.

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
I thought the PS2 thing was old? Another little thing they added was the columns in the back under system settings represented the time. Which ever one was illuminated was the hour and how illuminated it was represented the minute if I remember correctly.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
People didn't know that? That was pretty common knowledge back on the old Playstation forums.

I could say the same about almost every Nintendo fact including Cloud Bush, fact is not everyone is a walking talking gaming encyclopaedia.

I think most of you know the PS2 Startup animation.

Did you notice these white towers, some higher than the others? That's not just nice useless eye-candy.

The towers represent games. The more games you play on the PS2, the more towers are added. The longer you play a game, the higher the tower gets.

Sometimes, it erases all towers. I think it happens when you unplug the console.
Edit: It seems that it actually reads data from the memory cards to show the towers.

Congratulations, you have changed my perception on life. Forever!

Surprised so many of you didn't know about the PS2 load screen. Don't remember where I first heard the details about it (might have been from some random magazine), but it was pretty easy to notice things changing if you use the system a lot.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Surprised so many of you didn't know about the PS2 load screen. Don't remember where I first heard the details about it (might have been from some random magazine), but it was pretty easy to notice things changing if you use the system a lot.

Yeah I'm with you on that reaction. Sony outright said that the startup screen would change based on what you played... and I thought it was pretty obvious that a fresh memory card showed an empty space while a full card showed a whole bunch of blocks.

I can see how it's a mindblowing secret... but not if you followed media 10 years ago. Maybe if you're a younger generation or something.

But what do I know... I noticed cloudbush when I was 6 years old :p

NaviLink

Not to undermine the mindblowing potential of the fact, but I also thought the PS2 tower thing was pretty well known.

We definitely need a wiki of some kind with an OS category.

Also about the PS2 boot screen : I could've sworn the lights made different patterns based on what was in the DVD tray (like it would do a different pattern if there was a PS2 Disc inserted or a PS1 one, or a DVD, or an audio CD or nothing...).

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Yeah I'm with you on that reaction. Sony outright said that the startup screen would change based on what you played... and I thought it was pretty obvious that a fresh memory card showed an empty space while a full card showed a whole bunch of blocks.

Well I was only following Nintendo media back then so it doesn't matter if Sony came along and hit me on the head with the fact I wouldn't have taken it in.

And I never really paid much attention to the boot up screen.

Myriadis

I can see how it's a mindblowing secret... but not if you followed media 10 years ago. Maybe if you're a younger generation or something.

But what do I know... I noticed cloudbush when I was 6 years old :p

I for example bought a PS2 just two years ago and I'm pretty sure that there are several people here who bought it late / didn't have internet at the time / didn't visit the PS forums.

From another thread:

News to me! :)

Credits to Kazerei for this one. I'll just post the list here, even I, who really played the game at least 10 times didn't notice some of them. Maybe it was already posted, but I don't want to search the whole thread for it now and I added some anyway. All the top ones in the first half (minus the Twinrova one) are his, others are mine:

- Tap the B button to swim faster
- Skullwalltullas can be knocked off the wall with the megaton hammer
- Tektites can be flipped over with the megaton hammer
- Baby dodongos and deku scrubs can be popped out of the ground with the megaton hammer
- Rocks and crates can be broken with the megaton hammer
- Phantom Ganon's energy balls can be reflected with an empty bottle (like in LTTP, with the bug-catching net against Agahnim)
- If you kill lots of stalchildren, guays, or leevers, a giant one will appear
- Stalchildren won't appear if you stay on the dirt path (like in Zelda 2) or wear the bunny hood
- Keese won't attack if you wear the skull mask
- If you walk slowly, redeads won't notice you
- Play Zelda's lullaby in front of a broken sign, and it will repair itself
- Play Epona's song in front of a cow, and it will give you milk
- Play the song of storms in certain spots, and a fairies will appear (Navi turns green at these spots)
- Play the song of storms in front of a gossip stone, and a big fairy will appear. Other songs cause normal fairies to appear.
- If you hold out a deku stick and stand still, a butterfly might land on it and turn into a fairy
- The Hammer and the Song of storms can open certain grottos
- The nipples of the giant statue in the middle of the Spirit Temple ... are hookshot-able O_O
...And so are Twinrovas Breasts.

- Re-Deads freeze when you play the Song of Sun near them.
- You can hit the members of the Skulltulla family in Kakariko with the sword and they freeze. When they unfreeze, they attack you once when you come close.
- Shooting a light arrow at certain enemies gives you 50 rupees.
- There is a dying soldier at the back alley of the town that only appears between the moment you get the ocarina of time and the moment you get the master sword. He says that you have to go to the Temple of Time and simply dies.
- And it's obvious for me, but many people just don't seem to realize that you can skip the Owl's speech with B after the first message box.
- If you kill one redead, other redeads walk over to him and start eating it.
- You can reflect Ganondorfs energy balls with the bottle, just like with Phantom Ganon.
- If you have trouble with Keese (Bats), just throw a deku nut. They lie on the ground and try hopelessly to flap their wings.
- You can catch the angler's hat with a rod.

Two from Nocturnowl:
- As an adult you can take down skull kids with the hookshot and get orange rupees that are worth 100.
- You can longshot to a path at the top of the windmill in kakariko village, there's a Cucco up there for some pointless gliding. You are aiming for a wooden post in a gap high up on the windmill to reach said area.

Neo Child

Banned
I for example bought a PS2 just two years ago and I'm pretty sure that there are several people here who bought it late / didn't have internet at the time / didn't visit the PS forums.

Credits to Kazerei for this one. I'll just post the list here, even I, who really played the game at least 10 times didn't notice some of them. Maybe it was already posted, but I don't want to search the whole thread for it now and I added some anyway. All the top ones in the first half (minus the Twinrova one) are his, others are mine:

Two from Nocturnowl:

Discovered the swimming one on the 3DS first then realised you could do it on the n64 one haha, over a decade too late. Some of those things I know, some I don't - like the redead eating each other... guess I never stood around to find out. Some of those secrets are colossal...

MrPliskin

Banned
The beginning tune of the FF7 boss music and about 13-14 seconds into the FF12 boss music are obviously the same tune to me, but to each their own I suppose. :)

It is just that one moment though. I'm not saying that both tracks are exactly the same, just that part of the 12 boss music is the same melody as the opening of the 7 boss music.

Just thought it was a cool homage.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

Roto13

holy shit, I just realized that the FF12 boss music has part of the FF7 boss music in it around the very beginning.

FF7:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnGnJWKyBak

FF12 (start @ 13 seconds)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-AwbsQi-nk

I mean maybe this is commonly known but it's the first time I've heard it.
That's not even close.
You could argue that the battle theme for Final Fantasy 1 and Final Fantasy 9 start out the same then.

Final Fantasy 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjPF3AwVPM4

Final Fantasy 9: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r50bTK49Gzc

That little opening flourish is probably intentional. They also used the bit directly after that in basically every 2D Final Fantasy battle theme, and IX is a love letter to the old ones so it uses it too.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Reading the whole Star Fox thing really is just pushing it. They're meant to be puppet stands and the 64 games didn't have much of polygonal count. I've seen similar "robotic feet" used in designs for futuristic games but are actually just boots.

Reading the whole Star Fox thing really is just pushing it. They're meant to be puppet stands and the 64 games didn't have much of polygonal count. I've seen similar "robotic feet" used in designs for futuristic games but are actually just boots.

Except you know...there's proof that says the contrary.

Boss Doggie

Except you know...there's proof that says the contrary.

You mean a scientific fact in a setting that pretty much defies science? The fact that the modern Star Fox designs (which I abhor - I hate the chibified looks they have) uses normal feet proves otherwise.

You might as well complain why Captain Falcon has normal legs too!

Boney

Banned
You mean a scientific fact in a setting that pretty much defies science? The fact that the modern Star Fox designs (which I abhor - I hate the chibified looks they have) uses normal feet proves otherwise.

You might as well complain why Captain Falcon has normal legs too!

That's how they were designed in snes starfox era. 64 designs just carried over the metal feet, who knows if it's boots or not but that's besides the point.

Boss Doggie

That's how they were designed in snes starfox era. 64 designs just carried over the metal feet, who knows if it's boots or not but that's besides the point.

That's my point though - they were just puppet feet. People just try to look deeper into that. It's like those annoying Pokefacts.

I dunno why I'm raging though. Hmm... maybe because I'm hungry.

BibiMaghoo

Probably won't blow any minds, but.....

I thought that Caius Ballard in FFXIII-2 was great, especially the voice actor. I recently purchased Darksiders in the PSN sale and started playing it today, turns out that the voice of War is the same guy, and with the exact same tone in delivering his lines.

Thought it was worth a mention.

Top Bottom