• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I'm at work so I can't watch it, but are we sure it's not a glitch? Which version did they test this on? Does it work on both the original and HD version?

That's the Wii U version but there's a version in the linked videos and it happens in the GCN release too.

mclem

Someone needs to make a youtube video of Nintendo bosses that can be secretly killed in 1 hit.

We have Draygon from Super Metroid, which can be electrocuted for an easy win.
Naval Piranha from Yoshi's Island which can be killed before the battle even starts.
And now that boss from Wind Waker.

There has to be others.

While it's not quite the same, I'd say you'd have to include TP Ganondorf's interaction with the fishing rod as something also relevant.

(I think it's been covered in this thread before, but just in case:
he gets distracted with watching the hook, leaving himself open to a fairly straight attack with the sword
)

It's not a one-hit kill thing, but it is an unexpected way of making part of the fight significantly easier.

MikeOShay

Neo Member
No. Music doesn't work that way. It has nothing to do with the limitations of the sound chip. It has to do with something called "themeing".
Banjo-Kazooie has it too. There are several variants of any particular level theme to fit the different situations. For example Treasure Trove Cove has a variant for being on land, being near Capt. Blubbers ship, being inside the seashell, being underwater and being in the sand castle.
Every variant has the exact same melody, but the instruments, speed and sometimes pitch are changed to fit the mood of the particular place you are in.

Super Mario Bros. using the same 24 (I think) note melody for collecting a power-up and ending a level are a more primitve form of this. But it has nothing to do with limitations. It's a choice.

Koji Kondo is excellent at doing subtle theming. I personally don't think the mushroom/flag one is intentional; the mushroom sound is too quick and has fewer notes, arpeggios make for a quick melody, and a rising sound is celebratory by nature.

There's some heavy theming going on in Super Mario 64, though. Secret Slide, Bob-Omb Battlefield, and Cool Cool Mountain (each of which have their music repeated in several levels) all have the same melodic structure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqGuzSlSSIQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmP3UHXYi28
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzxHzfvA1sI

After each song's intro, the overall structure goes (mid high mid low) (repeat but lower) (low high low high low high mid)

Not sure if I'm explaining it well but hopefully some people notice the common themes. Not sure if any other songs in the game share the same structure.

Koji Kondo is excellent at doing subtle theming. I personally don't think the mushroom/flag one is intentional; the mushroom sound is too quick and has fewer notes, arpeggios make for a quick melody, and a rising sound is celebratory by nature.

There's some heavy theming going on in Super Mario 64, though. Secret Slide, Bob-Omb Battlefield, and Cool Cool Mountain (each of which have their music repeated in several levels) all have the same melodic structure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqGuzSlSSIQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmP3UHXYi28
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzxHzfvA1sI

After each song's intro, the overall structure goes (mid high mid low) (repeat but lower) (low high low high low high mid)

Not sure if I'm explaining it well but hopefully some people notice the common themes. Not sure if any other songs in the game share the same structure.

They've done it even better in Super Mario 64 for DS; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpLRqA8aZnA

Myriadis

Something I didn't know:
In the Smash Bros games since Melee, Peach can pick up vegetables from the ground with Down+B.
The thing is, what I never knew, that the face of the vegetable determines how much damage it makes. A regular smiling vegetable deals about 5-10%, the rare stitch face about 40%.
dhu9u.png

q8uzt.jpg

There's also a rare chance in Melee that she picks up Bob-Ombs or similar items from the ground.

linko9

You probably won't be surprised to learn that this an important part of playing Peach competitively. Gotta get dem stitchfaces.

ZeroCoin

There's already enough, rightfully earned, disdain for the music soundalikes in this thread....and you go and post a SilvaGunner high quality upload?

Wonder how many people noticed this? Allow me to ruin it for you!

wzTD4za.png

Optical illusions are at play, so i understand why, but it's funny nonetheless!
Even the circle on the right is slightly larger than the left on the actual!

ZPVizsy.png

Hylian7

Maybe this one was already posted, but I noticed it the other day watching Arin (from Game Grumps) play Mega Man X.

In Flame Mammoth's stage, these things fall out of the pipes onto the conveyor belts (the thing on the far left):

mmm-mmxscrapmetal.GIF

I always wondered what these things were. Well, it turns out they are the heads of these, that dragon boss from Launch Octopus's stage:

latest

Needham

Maybe this one was already posted, but I noticed it the other day watching Arin (from Game Grumps) play Mega Man X.

In Flame Mammoth's stage, these things fall out of the pipes onto the conveyor belts (the thing on the far left):

mmm-mmxscrapmetal.GIF

I always wondered what these things were. Well, it turns out they are the heads of these, that dragon boss from Launch Octopus's stage:

latest

Huh, I always thought the orb on the head was an eyeball, but there's actually an eye right above the mouth. Shocking!

OnPoint

Someone needs to make a youtube video of Nintendo bosses that can be secretly killed in 1 hit.

We have Draygon from Super Metroid, which can be electrocuted for an easy win.
Naval Piranha from Yoshi's Island which can be killed before the battle even starts.
And now that boss from Wind Waker.

There has to be others.

What about the guy in Punchout that you can knock out when the camera flash goes off or whatever?

mmm-mmxscrapmetal.GIF

latest

Well shit.

Played MMX since it launched and never put this together.

Kevin

Some of these are pretty damn awesome. The Wind Waker forest boss battle one on the top of the page is pretty damn neat.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Saw this on twitter, can anyone confirm?

It if's true, then wow at the attention to detail.

B8pe3Nm.jpg
Oh my god.

I always wondered why there was a third ball in later stars on that level. I never put it together until now. So who are the other two? Or the ones constantly pouring out of the teleporters?

I feel like I missed the joke somewhere. What was the big reveal on page 70? Couldn't figure it out which one it was.

It's post #70 (though I think it's somewhere in the 60s now from a post or two getting deleted). Someone should probably edit the thread title, really.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
It is the classic "bushes and clouds are pallete swaps in Super Mario Bros" (named "cloudbush") that is even referenced in Mario Kart 7

That's not really a reference to cloudbush. It's a SMB throwback* stage, of course it's going to use SMB's graphics for the clouds and bushes.

*Was disappointed that MK8 toned down the SMB aesthetics.

Golnei

I think you're going to have to explain this one.

Noctis is Ashe - young royalty from a fallen country all but extinguished by a hostile empire, whose arranged marriage was doomed by imperial intervention, and is now grappling with the choice of using powers beyond their comprehension to retake their homeland at the cost of their humanity.

Or the box art uses the same vague colour scheme.

This is something I've been thinking about for a long time, but didn't think it was worth making an actual thread over. This isn't a mind-blowing fact so much as something I find funny.

There's a lightning in your eyes, I can't deny
Then there's me inside a sinking boat running out of time
Without you I'll never make it out alive
But I know, yes I know, we'll be alright

There's a devil in your smile, it's chasing me
And every time I turn around it's only gaining speed
There's a moment when you finally realize
There's no way you can change the rolling tide
But I know, yes I know, that I'll be fine

This time I'm ready to run
Escape from the city and follow the sun
'Cause I wanna be yours, don't you wanna be mine?
I don't wanna get lost in the dark of the night
Wherever you are is the place I belong
'Cause I wanna be free, and I wanna be young
I will never look back now I'm ready to run
I'm ready to run

There's a future in my life I can't foresee
Unless, of course, I stay on course and keep you next to me

There will always be the kind that criticize
But I know, yes, I know we'll be alright

I will never look back now I'm ready to run

This time I'm ready to run (ready to run)
I'd give everything that I got for your love

This time I'm ready to run (this time I'm ready to run)
I will never look back, now I'm ready to run

These are the lyrics to a song by the teen boy band One Direction that I am 100% sure is about Sonic the Hedgehog. All the themes of friendship and running and gaining speed and staying on the course and Escape from the City... Who you foolin, One Direction?

MikeOShay

Neo Member
I bet it's already been pointed out, but something I noticed the other day...Birdo's eggs in Mario 2 look like the same as the cloud sprites, but not stretched as much.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/Yqs7M5P-Yl8/maxresdefault.jpg

You know, I'm not so sure that HAS been brought up. Anyone know enough about the SMB2 tilemap to go into this? I'm wondering if the egg is made of reused parts from the different BG clouds, because the curves seem to be different.

Top Bottom