• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

This is something I've been thinking about for a long time, but didn't think it was worth making an actual thread over. This isn't a mind-blowing fact so much as something I find funny.

These are the lyrics to a song by the teen boy band One Direction that I am 100% sure is about Sonic the Hedgehog. All the themes of friendship and running and gaining speed and staying on the course and Escape from the City... Who you foolin, One Direction?

You listen to One Direction.

AhNDWh0.jpg

I heard today that in mgs2, snake is supposed to represent Godzilla and Raiden is King Kong.

Raiden references King Kong with Rose at one point. Both king Kong and Raiden were lured by a woman, captured by the villain and taken to New York.

Snake is always drawn to nuclear weaponry and will appear to protect humanity, much like godzilla. Pretty cool.

Myriadis

I know it sounds like one of these "The songs sound familiar"-posts but today I discovered something really interesting. Not music, but a sample used in a song!

So I bought one of the "Womad Talking Books" Vinyls today since I love me some african music and the first track is taken from the 1968 vinyl "Musique du Burundi". Akazéhé is a greeting song that was chanted when visiting each other.
Here is the song.

First listen to it without reading further. Does it ring a bell? No?
I'm absolutely certain that it's used here.
Jup, Twilight Princess uses this sample for the city in the sky temple, only with the sample pitched up.
There is also a video that shows much more samples like this in other games of this series and it's always mighty interesting to see where the origins come from.

TunaLover

The file name for the music menu on Wii U is called "cafe_barista_men.bfsar", "men" stands for "menu" I guess and bfsar is a common audio format used internally by Nintendo.

It's cool seeing how the play with the "project cafe" concept, by the way the full path is:

Code:
storage_mlc/sys/title/00050010/10040100 (USA)/content/common/sound/men/cafe_barista_men.bfsar

The final boss theme on the Final Fantasy 1 original soundtrack (PSP version) starts at 44:44.

Four is a very unlucky number in Japan (basically the equivalent of 666).

jett

D-Member
This is no shocking secret I guess, except to me. I played Double Dragon II on NES all my life not knowing there are two additional moves when you got an enemy in headlock.

Besides kneeing and throwing them, you can elbow them, and you can also do a high kick.

mdd2nes8.gif

mdd2nes9.gif

The move "Double Slap" has been in every Pokemon game since the original Red and Blue. Despite the name, in every game it has been able to hit the for 2-5 times in spite of what "double" might imply.

The move "Double Slap" has been in every Pokemon game since the original Red and Blue. Despite the name, in every game it has been able to hit the for 2-5 times in spite of what "double" might imply.

I believe the "double" part is in reference to slapping the opponent one way and then immediately slapping them again the other way on the backhand. The 2-5 is because you can easily slap someone back and forth this way over and over. I feel like you see this often in cartoons but I'm struggling to find an easy video reference.

I believe the "double" part is in reference to slapping the opponent one way and then immediately slapping them again the other way on the backhand. The 2-5 is because you can easily slap someone back and forth this way over and over. I feel like you see this often in cartoons but I'm struggling to find an easy video reference.

Even the animation for it is done in sets of two hits.

Dunan

I went back to the first chapter of Steins;Gate to try to figure a few things out and discovered something:

A scream occurs in the Akihabara Radio Building and protagonist Rintaro Okabe has no idea who it could be. Not until much later do you finally discover who is screaming.

But each person in this game has an individually-adjustable voice volume, and the person who screams is included. If you were to, for some reason, have the foresight to make that person's voice volume significant (loud while everyone else's was at zero, say, or vice versa), you could begin a new game from scratch and know whose voice it was, because its volume reflects your settings for that character's voice.

A nice little attention to detail when they certainly could have used a generic screaming voice.

Also, after reaching the best ending, Rintaro gets a special e-mail congratulating you, and the date on this e-mail is
the current date in the real world, which went right past me the first time because I finished this game in late July

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
The original Japanese name for the move is "Round Trip Slap", implying no particular number.

It's always interesting looking at the original names to see the real intent.

I think Growl and Tail Whip are the most notable examples, and perhaps NoA's attempt at "edginess"---original names are basically "cry" and "tail waggle". The names we got make them sound far more aggressive, and the latter an actual attack.

SoulUnison

Banned
I hate how "Swallow Return" became "Aerial Ace."
Yeah, the reference wouldn't work in English, but you lose the sword technique nod and give the move a name that seems like it's competing for "Most Generic."

"Aerial Ace" gives me no mental imagery of how the move works or what it does besides that it's probably Flying-type.
It's basically just naming the attack "Does the thing that's its type, but GOOD!"

It's like one step away from naming the move "Bird Stuff."

Also, after reaching the best ending, Rintaro gets a special e-mail congratulating you, and the date on this e-mail is
the current date in the real world, which went right past me the first time because I finished this game in late July
Now THAT is cool. I like it when that writer
finds extremely innovative ways to break the fourth wall
in his games.

brerwolfe

This is no shocking secret I guess, except to me. I played Double Dragon II on NES all my life not knowing there are two additional moves when you got an enemy in headlock.

Besides kneeing and throwing them, you can elbow them, and you can also do a high kick.

mdd2nes8.gif

mdd2nes9.gif
I'm pretty sure these moves were listed in the manual.

Zubz

Banned
I hate how "Swallow Return" became "Aerial Ace."
Yeah, the reference wouldn't work in English, but you lose the sword technique nod and give the move a name that seems like it's competing for "Most Generic."

"Aerial Ace" gives me no mental imagery of how the move works or what it does besides that it's probably Flying-type.
It's basically just naming the attack "Does the thing that's its type, but GOOD!"

It's like one step away from naming the move "Bird Stuff."

... I now really wish they named it "Bird Stuff."

Carnby

As bad as it may look, considering I also quoted myself in the Mindblowing Actor Stuff thread, I'm gonna repost this so that it doesn't get lost at the bottom of a random page:

Everyone knows that Arnold Schwarzenegger was at one time the highest grossing actor in the world, which he owed to his many roles in high profile action movies during their heyday, the 1980's.
Reagan%2BSchwarzenegger1984.jpg

Bill Paxton is an actor that I don't think of as being associated so closely with action movies, though he has been in quite a number of them. Surprisingly, he has appeared in more than a few with Arnold Schwarzenegger. While many may be aware that he was in True Lies, where he played this ridiculous motherfucker:
moA0Gi4.jpg

Before that he was in another Schwarzenegger fueled action classic, Commando, where he played the guy that Clint Howard later played in Austin Powers 2:
5Rd7Lwy.jpg

And while he doesn't appear with Schwarzenegger on screen, he starred as that annoying cop in the sequel to Schwarzenegger's Predator in Predator 2:
Tu5oi6A.jpg

His most notable action movie role is probably in Aliens, where he played this unbearable ass:
Cv2Z6wi.jpg

And while it may not seem like it, this is also due to his Schwarzenegger connection. His casting in Aliens is likely due to his relationship with James Cameron, whom he met while working on the original Terminator:

Alright, you may be thinking "there's no Bill Paxton there," so I encourage you to take another look:
fEvaoFU.jpg

Just look at that tooth gap! Who else could it be?

Another actor famous for his ultra masculine roles in testosterone fueled 80's movies is Jean Claude van Damme:
rxwpjNn.jpg

In fact, Van Damme was so well associated with pretending to beat people's asses that he was pegged for a starring role in the ass beating simulator Mortal Kombat:
MIzCen4.jpg

Er, wait a minute

There we go.
Anyway, Mortal Kombat took influence from a great many martial arts movies from the 70's and 80's, and it's star was going to be Jean Claude van Damme. However, when he pulled out of the agreement his character was turned into Johnny Cage. But, besides martial arts movies, Mortal Kombat also took influence from the unavoidably monolithic filmography of Arnold Schwarzenegger, basing the appearance of the character Kano on the Terminator:
PkHV1jb.jpg

PKphP92.jpg

Mortal Kombat its self became unavoidably monolithic, spawning toys, comic books cartoons, and even movies. In the movie, Trevor Goddard played Kano:
57xuoFv.jpg

The first Mortal Kombat movie had money for one big name actor, and instead of doing the logical thing and having Jean Claude van Damme play Johnny Cage, they had this guy do it:
MIzCen4.jpg

Ah, okay, that's where he belongs.
Anyway, they spent their actor budget on Christopher Lambert; at some point someone decided that he should play Raiden. The movie was an unprecedented success, and spawned a sequel which starred even more unknowns, including this guy:

72JjYaT.jpg

You don't know who that guy is, but his name is Brian Thompson, and he had minor roles in action movies like Sylvester Stallone's version of Beverly Hills Cop, which he called Cobra:
X6UISu7.jpg

Having looked at him twice in a row, you're probably saying to yourself "that guy looks kind of familiar," and you're right, because you also saw him further up in this post:

I know what you're thinking: "I KNEW that wasn't Bill Paxton!"
NO! Not the blue haired guy, the guy next to him. That's Brian Thompson.
Now, you'll notice up there that one of the pictures of Brian Thompson has him playing Shao Kahn, a character in Mortal Kombat. You'll also remember that another Mortal Kombat character was based on the Terminator, but it was more than just Kano's appearance that was based on the murderous machine; Mortal Kombat is famous for letting you brutally murder your opponent at the end of a fight, a special move which the makers of the game call a fatality. Here is Kano's fatality:
Kano Heart Rip
Now here's the scene in Terminator that that move is based on:
Terminator heart rip

That's right. Shao Kahn was the first Mortal Kombat character ever to suffer a fatality, and it happened 8 years before the first game even came out.

Don't forget that Brian Thompson was almost cast as the Terminator.

So my wife and I are watching this ridiculous show Beyond on Freeform and halfway through the final episode they just straight up steal "Father and Son" from MGS4.

Here's my Tweet with a video clip of it from the show.

I know we're all sick of music comparisons, but this is totally the exact same song, isn't it? Am I going crazy?

A quick google search says that the composer for the Beyond series is Toby Chu. According to Wikipedia:
Before embarking on solo projects, Chu worked with the Grammy-nominated composer Harry Gregson-Williams for over a decade.

And here he's also credited for additional music for MGS4.

Who knows what the exact deal is here, maybe Chu has some freedom in using certain arrangement pieces, maybe it's just a straight up ripoff (certainly sounds extremely similar) or maybe they used it as a temp music, the studio liked it as is so they just decided to use it anyway (again, Chu might have some rights, a deal etc.). It's certainly interesting. :)

I went back to the first chapter of Steins;Gate to try to figure a few things out and discovered something:

A scream occurs in the Akihabara Radio Building and protagonist Rintaro Okabe has no idea who it could be. Not until much later do you finally discover who is screaming.

But each person in this game has an individually-adjustable voice volume, and the person who screams is included. If you were to, for some reason, have the foresight to make that person's voice volume significant (loud while everyone else's was at zero, say, or vice versa), you could begin a new game from scratch and know whose voice it was, because its volume reflects your settings for that character's voice.

A nice little attention to detail when they certainly could have used a generic screaming voice.

That's really cool.

From what I've been able to determine, the B&W Game Boy version of Dr. Mario -- and only the B&W Game Boy version of Dr. Mario -- plays a bit of the Super Mario Bros. invincibility theme and a musical quote from the SMB1 overworld theme when you chain a combo of 4 or more matches in a row (which, in my experience, is exceedingly rare and challenging to pull off in Dr. Mario):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uf2wcmR1fas

ReyVGM

You know those cocoon thingies enemies start inside in Legend of Zelda? Same as the bomb explosion.

7PBnPm8.png

bpKwsO1.png
RCpiFca.png

And speaking of which, why do enemies start in a cocoon? Is it a cocoon? Why was this never explored in other Zelda games?

ReyVGM

It's just smoke to make the sudden appearance of enemies after the screen finishes scrolling look less awkward.

Makes sense I guess. Maybe the NES at the time wasn't capable of scrolling like that while also showing the enemies?

Never did see it as smoke, I always thought it was la a cocoon, shell or carapace.

You know those cocoon thingies enemies start inside in Legend of Zelda? Same as the bomb explosion.

7PBnPm8.png

bpKwsO1.png
RCpiFca.png

And speaking of which, why do enemies start in a cocoon? Is it a cocoon? Why was this never explored in other Zelda games?

I always imagined it as puffs of smoke. Like, the enemies warp into the area using magic and it leaves behind a puff of smoke. Like a ninja.

MikeOShay

Neo Member

((pics))

I never saw it as a cocoon, just as a dust cloud of sorts. Which enemies start off this way? I know tektites and octoroks do, but I don't remember peahats or pols voice having the dust.

Perhaps it's a loading animation?

You know, I'm not so sure that HAS been brought up. Anyone know enough about the SMB2 tilemap to go into this? I'm wondering if the egg is made of reused parts from the different BG clouds, because the curves seem to be different.

Yeah it is.

l1ydcre.png

This isn't really a "cloudbush" situation or anything, it's relatively obvious visually, and it just makes sense for them to have done this.

mindatlarge

Learning the story behind the development of Super Mario Bros. 2 USA, it's ties to Yume Kōjō: Doki Doki Panic and Japan having a totally different SMB2 in The Lost Levels blew my mind at the time.

Link1110

I never saw it as a cocoon, just as a dust cloud of sorts. Which enemies start off this way? I know tektites and octoroks do, but I don't remember peahats or pols voice having the dust.

Perhaps it's a loading animation?
Since the game W originally on FDS, is believe loading animation. Just like the doors in Castlevania or the rooms between sections in Metroid. FDS didn't have instant loading line carts so they used these tactics to prevent load screens

Top Bottom