• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Virtue's Last Reward SPOILER Thread

Wichu

They are both in the
same desert
..but the picture they showed of the test site is different than the 999 area. And didn't the experiment begin 1 year after 999? Because clover got kidnapped with alice before it spread.

Did they show a picture of the test site? I only remember seeing a picture of Rhizome 9.

The test is for a mission to Mars, so the test site would presumably resemble a spacecraft on the inside. It's got to be a brand new location.

Sure, yeah, but it's a direct sequel. There really shouldn't even be an argument if you should play 999 first or not.

Not to mention all the cool things you miss in VLR by not playing 999 first; I posted about this earlier. Playing VLR first (and even visiting this thread) will spoil 999 for you.

aravuus

Not to mention all the cool things you miss in VLR by not playing 999 first; I posted about this earlier. Playing VLR first (and even visiting this thread) will spoil 999 for you.

Definitely, it's just not as good. It's like jumping into a series at the middle of a season.

So if there is a way to physically travel back in time as Alice and clover have stated there was.

WHY DONT THEY JUST DO THAT!?

Can't remember all the little details about the story, but check out Uchikoshi's secret files/faqs from VLR's site. They'll probably answer your questions.

grim-tales

This is a silly question, but is there to find out what gold files I still need to get on the flow chart to complete everything 100%?
Thanks! :D

Meia

I don't think so, but you can see what archives you missed in the flowchart.

Safe codes are saved in archives, I'd imagine if you don't have a blue combo for a room you don't have that file too.

I was stubborn and didn't leave a room until I found both, but I wish I hadn't read the gold files the second I got them. It spoiled a few moments for me. :(

Tagg9

Do your part and vote for Zero in GameFAQs's character battle today, guys! Zero desperately needs the votes...

It's up for another 10 hours.

Do your part and vote for Zero in GameFAQs's character battle today, guys! Zero desperately needs the votes...

It's up for another 10 hours.
I know I did! It's a pity that Zero has to go up against Mewtwo in round one. :( Apparently Archer from the Fate series made it into the battle too, but he's up against Bowser and Meta Knight?

..... Tough break for the VN characters. :/

Lusankya

I know I did! It's a pity that Zero has to go up against Mewtwo in round one. :( Apparently Archer from the Fate series made it into the battle too, but he's up against Bowser and Meta Knight?

..... Tough break for the VN characters. :/

Phoenix Wright won his first round, though.
But no chance for Zero, because sadly Zero Escape is even more obscure than Ace Attorney.

Dio trying to make Tenmyoji think Quark is a con artist trying to kill his only family to escape is pretty hilarious. Of all the lies to try and pull...

At first I was bummed Zero Jr. wasn't in the second half of the stories, but it makes sense why. They needed to free up dialog for the characters more instead of being lead by the nose constantly.

grim-tales

I was disappointed they didnt make more of the Dio-suspects-Quark thing, it was a massive red herring played out disappointingly.

Bartz

Banned
Just finished the game with all ends
It is a good game
and it is free thanks to plus

But now I want to play 999
but I feel like virtue spoiled 999

Meia

Just finished the game with all ends
It is a good game
and it is free thanks to plus

But now I want to play 999
but I feel like virtue spoiled 999

It didn't spoil the major twists of 999. You get more out of some of the characters from VLR by beating 999 first, but you don't know the story of 999 by playing through VLR.

I've read some interviews and I don't get why the author keeps saying Luna's based on someone from the Mars test site. The first time Sigma meets the person Luna's based on he's already time-hopped. It'd make more sense if Luna was just Sigma trying to reconstruct the facility based on his own memories of playing through it. It kinda makes the whole facility/puzzles born out of a time paradox.

I'm guessing in the third game Sigma will be freaked out by some random woman who happens to look just like Luna. Or if Luna really was based on someone from the Mars test site, then there's going to be more time travel shenanigans.

aravuus

It didn't spoil the major twists of 999. You get more out of some of the characters from VLR by beating 999 first, but you don't know the story of 999 by playing through VLR.

It obviously spoiled the most major one because it's a direct sequel

No, two of the most major ones - who's Zero and why the game happened in the first game.

grim-tales

Completely agree, he was just wasted and was a plot device for Tenmyouji. The irony is at first I thought Dio's spiel was true - it could be Quark, because NO ONE SUSPECTS A KID, which meant he was more likely :p

grim-tales

I've been reading some of the Game FAQs thread that got me thinking.

Who is Phi?
If we can figure her out, as its implied in the third game we will - maybe we'll know the entire point behind the whole series.
She often comes out with things that dont really make any sense - I got that her "I am no man" speech was a Lord of the Rings reference :D But why would she say it?

She's the only one who takes advantage of the moon's gravity.
Look at the symbol for Phi. Its like a Zero, but split in half.
Could it mean possibly Sigma and Phi are secretly related or connected in some way?
Phi does look Santa, doesnt she?
Also the fact their names are Greek letters/numbers are interesting. Sigma means 'the sum of' and Phi is 500 (I think).

Also, who was the woman's voice on the tape saying she had killed 6 billion people? Was it Diana (human Luna?)

I think Uchikoshi said on Twitter that he hopes to reveal ZE3 'the title' by the end of the year (just the title?)

I've been reading some of the Game FAQs thread that got me thinking.

Who is Phi?
If we can figure her out, as its implied in the third game we will - maybe we'll know the entire point behind the whole series.
She often comes out with things that dont really make any sense - I got that her "I am no man" speech was a Lord of the Rngs reference :D But why would she say it?

She's the only one who takes advantage of the moon's gravity.

Maybe Sigma could have also taken advance of Moon's gravity if he was in younger body. About the "I'm no man" thing... I thought for a while that maybe it was a man who has jumped to Phi's body, and was confused about the situation, but nah, unlikely...

grim-tales

I was also thinking about Quark - I know Uchikoshi said theres nothing more to his story in the Q&A which I find very disappointing - I thought for a while he was linked to Free the Soul because of the language he used when he was infected with Radical-6 about "freeing his soul" and cleansing himself - stuff like that. Could he have been used by Dio?

Roto13

Has someone compiled a list of all the little details and secrets that have been revealed through interviews and stuff?

Also the fact their names are Greek letters/numbers are interesting. Sigma means 'the sum of' and Phi is 500 (I think).

Sigma and phi mean lots of things. One of sigma is, the sum of, but I don't remember phi ever being used for 500.

There are some uses of phi in probability distributions that could mean something, like phi is normally the symbol for a normal distribution, or the complex number angle between real and imaginary planes, but I'd be taking stabs in the dark if any of them mean anything with regards to her yet.

I was disappointed they didnt make more of the Dio-suspects-Quark thing, it was a massive red herring played out disappointingly.

Wouldn't put it past Uchikoshi to have it be a double red herring and it turns out we should suspect quark. It seems like he knows more than he should, and to recite the ideal of freeing his soul without really knowing anything about the organization seems a bit suspect.

Wichu

Wouldn't put it past Uchikoshi to have it be a double red herring and it turns out we should suspect quark. It seems like he knows more than he should, and to recite the ideal of freeing his soul without really knowing anything about the organization seems a bit suspect.

That's unlikely. Quark won't be returning in ZE3, since ZE3 takes place years before Quark was even born. Uchikoshi has stated he intends for ZE3 to be the last in the series, so if there was more to Quark, he'd have told us by now.

That's unlikely. Quark won't be returning in ZE3, since ZE3 takes place years before Quark was even born. Uchikoshi has stated he intends for ZE3 to be the last in the series, so if there was more to Quark, he'd have told us by now.

Yes and no. Didn't he at one point mention that Tenmyoji was also going to be involved with ZE3? Maybe I imagined it, but there is one interesting thing I've seen just looking through the Q&A

Q40: Who really is Quark (other than Tenmyouji’s adopted grandchild)? I mean, does he have any other kind of connection to present or past characters?
At the current moment there are no other details besides him being a child with no family.

However, I do think it’ll be interesting if he’s the grandson of a person from 999.

So maybe
his grandparent as a returning character
could be involved in ZE3

Roto13

Yes and no. Didn't he at one point mention that Tenmyoji was also going to be involved with ZE3? Maybe I imagined it, but there is one interesting thing I've seen just looking through the Q&A

Tenmyouji doesn't need Quark to be in ZE3 any more than he needed Quark to be in ZE1. :p He probably won't be old in ZE3.

grim-tales

Sorry I couldnt find a current Twitter message from Uchikoshi guys :( It turns out the one GameFAQs was on about was posted almost 6 months ago, in February so I would hope some headway has been made since then.
Maybe in a few months we could get official announcement the game actually exsists, plus a picture.

https://twitter.com/uchikoshi/status/306981258095894528

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/ernie.gif

How can Tenmyouji be in ZE3 if
Young/College Junpei is back (presumably as a participant)?

Lusankya

Guys, we are in the spoiler thread, you don't need to put spoiler tags on these things.

Junpei will be back in ZE3, but he will be young of course. Also didn't he tell about his involvement in the mars test site experiment? Wasn't he some kind of organizer? I really have to reread this part.

You mean the VERY first one, that was detailed in 999 but not the same as the one you played along with (if that makes sense?)
Haha I got you. The first Nonary games conducted by Cradle.

It would be cool to play as a transmitter and receiver in ZE3. Playing as two different characters would be a neat twist in structure.

You mean the VERY first one, that was detailed in 999 but not the same as the one you played along with (if that makes sense?)

Yup. The one involving the four execs and Nona/Ennea, Snake/Clover, and Aoi/Akane.
I think some sort of separation like this is what the Nevada test site of ZE3 might involve to some extent.

grim-tales

Haha I got you. The first Nonary games conducted by Cradle.

It would be cool to play as a transmitter and receiver in ZE3. Playing as two different characters would be a neat twist in structure.

I understand, cheers :)
In the first game was Building Q actually at the Nevada test site?

just beat the game. Had fun. I was addicted to it for a few days because of the story alone. Thank goodness for the ability to jump cause if they would've made it like 999 where I might've had to replay each route from the beginning again I probably would've thrown the ds against the wall or something with the sheer amount of paths this game has.

Story-wise, not as much mind blowing moments if you've played other games written by the game's director but still enjoyable. I think for me,

Ever 17 >>>> 999 >> Virtual's Last Reward.

grim-tales

Also I just thought - I know it was done 'for the twist', but Tenmyouji was lying IMO when he said he had never seen Kyle before! I mean FGS surely he would have been like "He looks familliar..." or "Is that Sigma's son...?"

Also Diana saying that she had killed 6 people.... no, six bilion.
This is mega important surely. She knows how many people died from R6. What if she was the one who set it off?

This is mega important surely. She knows how many people died from R6. What if she was the one who set it off?

I'm not sure which part you think was important? The 6 people would be easy to count, there were only 9 people there, so the other 3 wouldn't have a hard time counting. And 6 billion is just her essentially saying EVERYONE on earth is going to die.

She might have something to do with it's release, if that's what you're saying. I don't think she was the one to plan R6's release, but perhaps it was done by accident on her part? Maybe that's the point of the Nonary game in ZE3.

Spoiler: I got the corrupt save file bug after 19 hours because I was trying to avoid spoilers.

Blech
Then... You may want to go to the other thread. I'm assuming you haven't finished the game? Flee from this thread and do not return until you have finished!

grim-tales

She might have something to do with it's release, if that's what you're saying. I don't think she was the one to plan R6's release, but perhaps it was done by accident on her part? Maybe that's the point of the Nonary game in ZE3.

Thats what I was wondering about I think, but I couldnt articulate my thoughts clearly :)

Curufinwe

I finished the game last night after 33 hours, so I'm trying to catch up on this thread now.

As a big Persona fan, it was a little weird hearing Alice and Dio really arguing especially when Dio started swearing. They were obviously the same voice actors as Mitsuru and Akihiko, but I didn't realize Laura Bailey and Karen Strassman where Luna and Phi till I looked it up.

I knew going in that Quark would sound like the new Chie based on numerous complaints in the P4A/P4G threads.

grim-tales

What exactly did Phi say in the Japanese version with the "I am no man" speech? My Japanese is non exsistent, so couldnt really pick out what she's saying.
I know the dub/subtitles were a Lord of the Rings joke (and saying she's a 'woman' not a man), but was she also saying she's not a person?
Just wondering about that. Then we possibly get into more clone/Gaulem (?) business.

What exactly did Phi say in the Japanese version with the "I am no man" speech? My Japanese is non exsistent, so couldnt really pick out what she's saying.
I know the dub/subtitles were a Lord of the Rings joke (and saying she's a 'woman' not a man), but was she also saying she's not a person?
Just wondering about that. Then we possibly get into more clone/Gaulem (?) business.

They touch on this in an interview.

Top Bottom