• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Virtuos (FFX+X-2, Ezio colletion, Batman RTA) porting a AAA title to Switch

Was there not a similiar thread with tantalus and wiiu? anyone remember what it turned out to be?

Are you referring to Twilight Princess HD, or something after that? There was a large thread on Tantalus working on a "AAA" Wii U port and it turned out to be TPHD.

Galava

They did Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age, didn't they? Maybe Square Enix has having them port it while the project is still fresh for them.

Do not say this, do you want to give me a heart attack?!

Could it be KH3? It's UE4 after all. But nah, that would be on Squeenix, not Virtuos (right?)

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I dont think they would use the AAA term for ports/remakes of older games like FFX/FFXII.
Something more recent like Injustice 2 seems more likely....but thats just me.

Screw everyone saying it's going to be FFXII because that was going to be next purchase. Now I have to wait because I'd rather have it portable.

I dont think they would use the AAA term for ports/remakes of older games like FFX/FFXII.
Something more recent like Injustice 2 seems more likely....but thats just me.

Well Tentalus used the AAA term for a game as old as FFX/FFXII... Twilight Princess.

That's literally the point of these hd remasters, Xbox already gets the new mainline final fantasy games, the platform holder already down its job, its now the 3rd party publishers time to do its job, unless you think the platform holders job is to wade hand and foot to 3rd parties

That makes no sense. How exactly did the platform holder "do its job" by getting the new mainline games? That was Square Enix's decision (prior to the release of either system, I'll add), just like it was Square Enix's decision to not release their remasters on Xbox and Square Enix's decision to make the FFVII Remake a PS4 timed exclusive.

The platform holders job is to build an audience who will buy games, making it as attractive as possible for third parties to support it. If the audience they build is not interested in a certain kind of game and third parties who make that kind of game chooses to avoid that platform then that's a failing on the platform holders part. So yes, if they have to wade hand and foot to get support, that's their job. It's Microsoft's problem, not Square Enix's. Third parties are not obligated to put their full support behind every platform.

And the point of remasters isn't "building a fanbase", I don't know where you got that from, their point is to make money, something they're not going to do releasing versions of those games that won't sell.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Well Tentalus used the AAA term for a game as old as FFX/FFXII... Twilight Princess.

This was at least a "new" Zelda Remaster. FFX/XII would be a ports of the PC/PS4 Remasters....i mean at the end its just a feeling, just dont think they would use this term for those products.

Andyliini

Gonna be the lightning collection.

Lightning at home and on the go.

How would that fit on a cartridge? Let's see...

According to this, the file size for FFXIII Xbox 360 -version is 18,3 GB in size, much lower than that of PS3. Here, I found out that XIII-2 is 7,8. I could not find file size for Lightning Returns for 360, but those two are 26.1 GB in total. They could technically fit on 32 GB cart, but they will probably not do that.

orioto

Good Art™
FFXII makes so much sense, and it would sell great. There are no big rpgs on Switch yet. i'd love one, even an old port of anything from PS3 this summer. But things are never logical in videogames!

Galava

Watch Dogs 2 could be another one, seeing how Ubisoft is on-board with Nintendo and Watch Dogs 1 was on WiiU.

Widge

If it was FFXII, I would actually lose my shit. BOTW and that would be more than a tipping point for a system.

Gambit

FFXII makes so much sense, and it would sell great. There are no big rpgs on Switch yet. i'd love one, even an old port of anything from PS3 this summer. But things are never logical in videogames!

It's the reason I've held off on Zodiac Edition so far, even though there has been no indication of such a port ever existing.

It really would make sense and make up for no Vita version. I just need my RPGs to be portable!

lol it's not going to be FF

Injustice seems like a pretty solid bet.

It could very well be Injustice 2 yeah. The game did HUGELY WELL (or they're lying to their investors), and since there's a lot of buzz around the Switch in general and there already are some fighting games finding success on there, it would be a safe bet for them.

Seik

Banned
I think Capcom always hires Qloc when they need to port something and ,besides, with the collection already announced, the Virtous site would have mentioned it.

Not necessarily, they hired Frima Studios to port Revelations 2 to Vita.

For some reason I want to guess the Witcher 3 but I don't even think I'd buy it again, so I'm not sure why I want to guess it.

It could be almost anything really.

Thraktor

My money would be on the Ezio Collection. It should run on Switch without too much difficulty, it would still do well on the platform even as a late port due to the value of getting three games and the novelty of playing "real" Assassin's Creed on a portable, and Ubisoft have already talked about unannounced Switch games.

Does the switch support Vulkan or is it just a Vulkan like api?

Both.

To clarify, Switch supports four graphics APIs that we know of:

OpenGL 4.5
OpenGL ES 3.2
Vulkan 1.0
NVN

The first three we know of from Khronos's website, and NVN is Switch's own custom API, which is being used for this game. It's always been assumed that NVN was based on Vulkan, but this actually confirms that it's a "Vulkan-like API" for the first time.

For some reason I want to guess the Witcher 3 but I don't even think I'd buy it again, so I'm not sure why I want to guess it.

It could be almost anything really.

It would be nice if true, but I don't recall CD Projekt RED ever outsourcing their ports.

Edit: Looking over Virtuos's Wikipedia page, there is one somewhat less exciting possibility, which is that they're porting NBA 2K18 or WWE 2K18 (or both) to Switch. They've worked on NBA 2K ports before, and the weird Switch release schedule of those games may indicate they're being handled by external studios.

Edit: Looking over Virtuos's Wikipedia page, there is one somewhat less exciting possibility, which is that they're porting NBA 2K18 or WWE 2K18 (or both) to Switch. They've worked on NBA 2K ports before, and the weird Switch release schedule of those games may indicate they're being handled by external studios.

WWE 2K18 is a bit later on Switch yeah, but I wouldn't attribute the weird NBA 2K18 release schedule to potential outsourcing. Why would the digital release on Switch be ready in time then? That has most likely something to do with cartridge manufacturing or so. Also, the ports they did were of NBA 2K12 and 2K13, so that's more than five years ago. I'd say the chances are slim that all of a sudden they get to do the Switch version now.

2K Sports seem far from being AAA IMO. Even FF12 is leaps more appropriate to be called AAA, it being a mainline FF title and all.

Uhh what? Wwe and especially NBA are absolutely AAA. AAA is just a marketing term that means a game from a major publisher that is getting major financial backing.

WWE 2K18 is a bit later on Switch yeah, but I wouldn't attribute the weird NBA 2K18 release schedule to potential outsourcing. Why would the digital release on Switch be ready in time then? That has most likely something to do with cartridge manufacturing or so. Also, the ports they did were of NBA 2K12 and 2K13, so that's more than five years ago. I'd say the chances are slim that all of a sudden they get to do the Switch version now.

Not to mention those were all pre-gen ports to PS2 and whatnot. Switch should be close enough to PS4 and XBO for the main team to handle downports to. Yukes also was very familiar with Nintendo hardware with doing all the Wii versions of their WWE games IIRC, same with most of the 2K Sports games by their main teams.

It'd be an odd time to get Virtuos on these now. Maybe if these were Wii U ports then it'd make sense.

Uhh what? Wwe and especially NBA are absolutely AAA. AAA is just a marketing term that means a game from a major publisher that is getting major financial backing.

I guess. I just associate it with blockbuster titles (big games with meaty experiences, not yearly sport games).

With the coding work described in the op, I doubt it is an Unreal engine game. It seems less than efficient, to reimplement the renderer directly to Switch, when the game is running on Unreal Engine. Therefore I'd rather expect a game that is running on a custom engine from a studio.

Yeah can't say for sure but I was thinking the same.

Top Bottom