• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visceral's Star Wars game['s dev process is similar to Uncharted], new concept art

John Wick

Because Uncharted was one of the first games I got for my PS3 after hearing constant praise for the series being a "must-have", only to find myself dozing hard during gameplay, which only a handful of games have caused me to do. Although according to the thread, I've been playing it wrong and I should've been watching it instead of playing it, which doesn't sound promising for a video game.

I'm sure the rest of GAF have received endless orgasms after hearing the comparison, but linking Star Wars to Uncharted doesn't sound very thrilling to me.

Your not meant to take sleeping tablets while playing a game. Obviously Uncharted isn't for you. But let's not pretend it's a poor game that put you to sleep.

lol, you wish Zelda had average gameplay.

Not to derail but combat and traversal mechanics are definitely average in Zelda. Even the puzzles aren't cleverly designed (like Portal's) or satisfying to solve because the puzzles are largely segmented by dinky rooms.

That's not even getting into the dull as dirt fetch quests.

dracula_x

But not the game director, and designing the game isn't what she does or is doing. So instead of splitting hairs, how about you understand the point I was trying to make in that it's weird to just assume this game would've played like Uncharted just because Hennig was the creative director on 2 of the games. Not to mention, she worked on a TON of games prior to Uncharted...

Well, Scott Warner is. But that doesn't mean anything, because as Game Director he worked only on Battlefield Hardline.

It seems like Neogaf loves hating on Uncharted all of a sudden....

Seriously though you guys need to read the fucking OP. It never said the game will be exactly like Uncharted for god sakes. It said that Amy is taking similar development process in constructing the game like Uncharted. Not hur duh its same uncharted gameplay.

Sometimes I feel like you guys just want to hate purposely without actually reading what is being said.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Yeah based on your opinion. Not the rest of the world's. Games that review well and sell well are hardly gonna be poor are they? If that was the case the reviews and sales would tell a different story

Yep totally just like the average reviews and sales of the games.

Your not meant to take sleeping tablets while playing a game. Obviously Uncharted isn't for you. But let's not pretend it's a poor game that put you to sleep.

It's at least a series that has comparatively poor gameplay and masks that with spectacular presentation. It's basically the posterchild for semi-automatic traversal gameplay without any depth, huge amounts of "exciting" scenes where you actually do nothing, but your character does some spectecular actions to survive unpleasent events like breaking paths. It breaks its gameplay rules more than it obeys them, it is very confined in a bad way it is quite obvious that mechanics are not the primary concern of the game makers. The Uncharted concept could work quite well with Star Wars though, since Star Wars itself is primarily concerned with the spectacle.

If you want to answer to this post and also some others who talk about Uncharted, please consider using the plus button next to the post to cite, because then you can conveniently answer several postings in one posting :).

Not to derail but combat and traversal mechanics are definitely average in Zelda. Even the puzzles aren't cleverly designed (like Portal's) or satisfying to solve because the puzzles are largely segmented by dinky rooms.

That's not even getting into the dull as dirt fetch quests.
Disregarding the fact that I disagree with almost anything said in this posting, you should at least acknowledge that the criticism of puzzles being segmented by dinky rooms cannot be upheld for Skyward Sword, which introduced huge environmental puzzles in the overworld segments leading to the dungeons.

Disregarding the fact that I disagree with almost anything said in this posting, you should at least acknowledge that the criticism of puzzles being segmented by dinky rooms cannot be upheld for Skyward Sword, which introduced huge environmental puzzles in the overworld segments leading to the dungeons.

I never played Skyward Sword. I refuse to use motion controls.

And I'm not sure how anyone can disagree with combat and traversal being mediocre. Play games that do combat (like Dark Souls) and games that do traversal (like Gravity Rush) incredibly well and you'll see how bland they are in LoZ.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Something...Uncharted is just a movie lol...Something...Something...another edgy comment...Something...why can't this new game play like my favorite game which probably didn't review and sell as well as previous Uncharted games...Something...salt.

Pretty much summed it up in here, sadly.

It seems like Neogaf loves hating on Uncharted all of a sudden....

Seriously though you guys need to read the fucking OP. It never said the game will be exactly like Uncharted for god sakes. It said that Amy is taking similar development process in constructing the game like Uncharted. Not hur duh its same uncharted gameplay.

Sometimes I feel like you guys just want to hate purposely without actually reading what is being said.

Search your feelings... ;)

NoKisum

I don't mess with sleep tabs. And I figured it would be for me considering it's the "best game series of the decade". My previous comment of calling Uncharted "bad" is probably a super harsh word to use. I should've said "boring" instead.

All I'm saying is, Uncharted is the wrong buzzword to get me excited for a Star Wars game.
What's worse is the same folks who are hating on Uncharted will come back and say Tomb Raider is better even though said game is heavily influenced by Uncharted and you wonder what they smoked
How could I say Tomb Raider is better when I've never even played it? Kinda hard to praise games I've never touched.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
But not the game director, and designing the game isn't what she does or is doing. So instead of splitting hairs, how about you understand the point I was trying to make in that it's weird to just assume this game would've played like Uncharted just because Hennig was the creative director on 2 of the games. Not to mention, she worked on a TON of games prior to Uncharted...
EA doesn't have game directors. The closest person is usually the executive producer, senior producer, or the creative director depending on the project.

Have you played it?

This game? No it's not out. Have you?

I played Uncharted and I enjoyed Uncharted games, and I think it's a bit tired now. They did a good job explaining a story the way way they did it over the years but, the combat was never great. I was fine with it at first but, the gunplay, at least to me didn't improve after 2. Melee combat did though.

I dunno, when I hear "similar to Uncharted" I just kinda go "Eh". I have to see more of this obviously. Still kinda interested in how it turns out.

Sorry if I hurt your feelings about my opinions since you seem bothered by anyone in this thread that isn't up high on the idea.

Also to people saying "Oh everyone hates Uncharted now" you probably shouldn't use the word hate for everything.

Yoshi

I never played Skyward Sword. I refuse to use motion controls.
All-together? No matter how it is used?

And I'm not sure how anyone can disagree with combat and traversal being mediocre. Play games that do combat (like Dark Souls) and games that do traversal (like Gravity Rush) incredibly well and you'll see how bland they are in LoZ.
My claim is that traversal in Zelda is just not the gameplay point, but a necessity, so it does not make sense to compare its traversal to game that put that into the focus. Regarding combat, the combat in Zelda is quick and simple from a mechanical perspective, allowing for well-done puzzle-oriented boss fights, where the the focus lies on figuring out how to defeat the boss rather than just the execution. I am very glad the combat in Zelda is not so cumbersome as it is in Dark Souls, if Zelda was ever to put more emphasis on the purely mechanical side of fighting, I'd much rather them adopting a quick and immediate fighting system like in Bayonetta or Devil May Cry than the slow, clunky and, to me (though I agree that thishas its merits, I don't want to claim Dark Souls is bad, just that it focusses on something I don't like) annoying fighting system of Souls or Monster Hunter.

Also, the purely mechanical side of fighting got a nice overhaul in Skyward Sword, incorporating a nice balance between freedom and control due to the way motion sensing sword fighting is implemented. You have a huge variety of strikes that can be made quite naturally with a small movement of the arm mimicking the move Link does, without being needlessly fiddly. SInce you seem to lack experience with motion controls, you would parobably not be fit to appreciate this, because it is among the more complex uses of motion controls.

All-together? No matter how it is used?

Folklore was the only game I tolerated it in because the motion controls were extremely limited.

My claim is that traversal in Zelda is just not the gameplay point, but a necessity, so it does not make sense to compare its traversal to game that put that into the focus. Regarding combat, the combat in Zelda is quick and simple from a mechanical perspective, allowing for well-done puzzle-oriented boss fights, where the the focus lies on figuring out how to defeat the boss rather than just the execution. I am very glad the combat in Zelda is not so cumbersome as it is in Dark Souls, if Zelda was ever to put more emphasis on the purely mechanical side of fighting, I'd much rather them adopting a quick and immediate fighting system like in Bayonetta or Devil May Cry than the slow, clunky and, to me (though I agree that thishas its merits, I don't want to claim Dark Souls is bad, just that it focusses on something I don't like) annoying fighting system of Souls or Monster Hunter.

Also, the purely mechanical side of fighting got a nice overhaul in Skyward Sword, incorporating a nice balance between freedom and control due to the way motion sensing sword fighting is implemented. You have a huge variety of strikes that can be made quite naturally with a small movement of the arm mimicking the move Link does, without being needlessly fiddly. SInce you seem to lack experience with motion controls, you would parobably not be fit to appreciate this, because it is among the more complex uses of motion controls.

Traversal in Zelda is not a necessity. The designers could have easily made a game which was just dungeon after dungeon without any traversal in-between. It's a design choice.

Whether or not some gameplay mechanic is necessary, though, has no bearing on its quality. And calling Zelda's traversal average is being overly generous to some of the LoZ games like Spirit Tracks.

The speed of the combat in Dark Souls changes based on the weapon used and there's plenty of weapon variety (not true in Zelda). Weight matters for swing speed and strength of the attack in DkS (swinging a great sword is very different than swinging a straight sword), not true for Zelda (toon link swings the Skull Hammer effortlessly). Enemy patterns are integral to fights in DkS, not true for Zelda (because enemies don't pose real threats even if timing matters). Different strategies and playstyles can be used to approach the same enemy fights in DkS, not true for Zelda. Strategy is layered due to stamina management in DkS, no such management in Zelda.

But all of this is way off topic.

Yoshi

Traversal in Zelda is not a necessity. The designers could have easily made a game which was just dungeon after dungeon without any traversal in-between. It's a design choice.
The space in-between the dungeons is not just a path though. Stringing just dungeon after dungeon is not a viable alternative. Getting to know the environment, exploring it for secrets and applying your skills gained in the dungeons to open up new paths are relevant gameplay mechanics in Zelda games, that go way beyond simple traversal and are well done. Due to that set-up some traversal between dungeons must happen though and I don't think it is too important, whether the pure act of moving from A to B in Zelda is very enjoyable in itself mechanically, as long as traversal time is reasonably short. In games where more traversal is needed, more sophisticated traversal mechanics are given, like in Majora's Mask the Goron mask an the Zora mask, which do ensure that traversal is fun in itself.

Whether or not some gameplay mechanic is necessary, though, has no bearing on its quality. And calling Zelda's traversal average is being overly generous to some of the LoZ games like Spirit Tracks.
If a mechanic is just there to enable transition from one main challenge to another in a reasonably short time, while giving room for additional enjoyable means of interaction, then it does matter, because it's dumb to compare the main mechanics of a game with what essentially is level select in the other. Note again, that the notion of level select is strictly speaking of traversal in isolation, environmental puzzles and exploration are not subsumed under this, although they are (among presentational reasons) the justification for having the necessity of traversal.

The speed of the combat in Dark Souls changes based on the weapon used and there's plenty of weapon variety (not true in Zelda).
The speed of the combat in Dark Souls (speaking about 3, the only one I know) is low even if you choose the fastest configuration possible. Which is what I have done and I still found it unbearably slow and clunky. The fastest attacks in Dark Souls 3 are about as slow as the slowest ever in a Zelda game (Goron punch). Yes, Zelda does not have that huge a weapon variety. Considering its focus is on figuring out how to be able to defeat the enemies rather than variety in execution, this is a reasonable (and personally, preferred) choice.

Weight matters for swing speed and strength of the attack in DkS (swinging a great sword is very different than swinging a straight sword), not true for Zelda (toon link swings the Skull Hammer effortlessly).
This is wrong. The weight of weapons does make a difference in Zelda. Even from the early 2D games on, a hammer strike takes more time than a sword slash. Using the Biggoron sword also takes more time than the master sword in OoT. It does not get as slow as Dark Souls, but that's a design choice [that I absolutely prefer], not an oversight.

Enemy patterns are integral to fights in DkS, not true for Zelda (because enemies don't pose real threats even if timing matters).
Enemy patterns are integral in Zelda fights, though I agree that Zelda fights are easier than Souls fights. However, figuring out how to defeat enemies is even more important in Zelda than it is in Dark Souls, because in DS, even with a bad strategy, if you know all the patterns and are skillful, you will be victorious, in Zelda, you are required to figure out the weakpoint of the enemy or you will deal absolutely zero damage.

Different strategies and playstyles can be used to approach the same enemy fights in DkS, not true for Zelda.
True to an extent, though sometimes there are several possible strategies in Zelda. This, again, has to do with the fact, that Zelda has a different focus in its fights, which is not the pure mechanical skill, but figuring out how to deal with an enemy. Zelda is a puzzle-solving game, even in its combat, whereas Souls is a skill- and resource managament game. One may prefer one over the other - I'd not take another Souls game even if offered for free, you obviously prefer the Souls style over Zelda's, but they are not directly comparable and one approach is not inherently superior to the other.

Top Bottom