• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visions of Mana | March Trailer

SkylineRKR

I need this kind of mid tier games. Its a classic game, no tropes, no messages... just a gamey looking action RPG. Mana ofcourse is also a very nostalgic series.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Game looks gorgeous. I haven't been hooked on a JRPG since Dragon Quest XI, but I'm starting to think this might do the trick.

Really enjoyed the Trials of Mana remake demo I played a few years back. Don't know why I never bought it but I'll get this, I'm sure it'll look and run great on Steam Deck.

Toots

Gold Member
What's that even supposed to mean?
You never had a game text you late at night to come play with it ?

(of course he's talking about political messages that are often shoved down our throats these days. He did not realize that by talking about political messages in a thread that has nothing to do with it, he's kind of reminding us of their existence, in some way shoving them down our throats again.)

Since now this is a preview thread here is some info on the game's length via Noisy Pixel:

We recently interviewed Masaru Oyamada, the producer of the Mana series, about the upcoming mainline entry Visions of Mana. Our exchanges highlighted the title’s cast, gameplay details, and setting. One response worth noting is that in response to the expected playtime of this title, no precise time was given.

However, Oyamada did state that Visions of Mana will have the highest volume of content in the series, meaning that it will have the most to do out of any Mana game. This isn’t too surprising, considering how short the Mana games tend to be and how Visions is an ambitious evolution.

You can view our quoted exchange regarding this matter below:

Orpheus Joshua: I doubt you can give a concrete answer because of all the factors surrounding it, but what would you say is the estimated playtime?
Masaru Oyamada
: We are in the middle of optimizing the final game, so changes can happen depending on that, and I can’t give a clear answer at the moment. However, it definitely has the highest volume of content you can enjoy within the series. Of course, the playtime will change depending on the player’s pacing, too. We feel this entry will provide very high satisfaction as an RPG experience.

Last edited:

gtabro

One thing I'd really love for someone to explain to me
1. How is The Secret of Mana so legendary yet for its dozen sequels I have heard pretty much no talk throughout the years
2. How come TSoM looked the way other JRPGs looked back in the day, yet no it has gone towards this kids-friendly (kids-targeting) art style? Is it just to sell more..?

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Is this the first time we have seen the AI allies? I don't recall them in the old trailers.

This is definitely checking all the boxes of what I would want from a new Mana game. But it's always weird revisiting old series I used to love a long time ago. Sometimes it's me that's changed too much.

SkylineRKR

1. How is The Secret of Mana so legendary yet for its dozen sequels I have heard pretty much no talk throughout the years
2. How come TSoM looked the way other JRPGs looked back in the day, yet no it has gone towards this kids-friendly (kids-targeting) art style? Is it just to sell more..?

Secret of Mana on SNES was widely regarded as one of the best games of the 16-bit era. It challenged Zelda, and even had co-op play. FFA/Mystic Quest on the GB was very good too and within the genre probably only bested by Links Awakening.

Seiken Densetsu 3 was a game that eluded many players for being JP only as it released so late on the SNES. It had been unofficially translated since like 1999 or so, but I think the first official release in the west was when Trials of Mana came out. SD3 is also a very good 16-bit game.

I think budget pushes this series towards a certain art style though they do look kind of consistent. The current game doesn't look that much different from Legend of Mana in terms of art. They don't have the resources to make this look like a new FF game I figure but nor you should want it to.

Toots

Gold Member
Secret of mana was chara designed by Toriyama, like Dragon's Quest, so it will have his kind of kids-friendly character design.

Solarstrike

Gold Member
Chris Hansen GIF

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
1) Its best sequel (Seiken Densetsu 3) released late in the Super Famicom's life and never got localized in the US. But it is generally regarded by fans as the best game in the series. The PS1 sequel was much more experimental, and the PS2 one was just kinda mid.

2) No idea what you mean. This series has had the same artist/character designer since the first game, because he's also the series director, Koichi Ishii. His distinctive art style is one of the the things that makes the series so recognizable, and while it's evolved a bit over the years, it's always been kinda cutesy.
2013-08-16_screenshot_201004.jpg

sigmaZ

Hmm. It looks worth playing and I will definitely get it to support the series, but man, it really feels like they missed the mark with the music, especially the battle music and trailer theme. Sounds like typical soulless modern RPG music. A shame. Even the game that's considered the worst in the series has a fantastic soundtrack.

Last edited:

Belthazar

That's not really true, Mana always had a bit of a kids-friendly aspect to how both characters and monsters were designed.

Let's compare the average TSoM monster design:

tumblr_inline_p3qx0mzgcT1qlj9wu_500.gif

mushboom.gif

To what was on Final Fantasy and other contemporaries:

images

manzo

What carried Trials of Mana was the bare-bones story of a 1995 game, when even mid-tier stories were leagues above the shit contemporary writing offers.

Seiken 3 was about 25 hours. Perfect length for an action RPG. Pretty much in line for a 1995 JRPG. These days all JRPGs are 25 hours too long, so much padding and filling.

I’m not holding my breath for this one. It’s riding on the UE4 engine for Trials, reusing a lot of it (understandably, nothing wrong with this), but now there is no more Ishii’s simple-but-enjoyable writing. Instead we have your faceless JRPG writers of today that barely even tries.

Or then I’ve just become cynical. The 20-year old me would’ve shat my pants for these news.

Mister Wolf

Same, the game looks gorgeous!

This year we are getting crazy amount of high quality Japanese games.

I feel a duty to support games like this and Star Ocean or else they will die out. So whereas I would usually wait to buy since I likely won't play it immediately, I just go ahead and buy it day one so they can get the full amount.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Orpheus Joshua: I doubt you can give a concrete answer because of all the factors surrounding it, but what would you say is the estimated playtime?

Masaru Oyamada
: We are in the middle of optimizing the final game, so changes can happen depending on that, and I can’t give a clear answer at the moment. However, it definitely has the highest volume of content you can enjoy within the series. Of course, the playtime will change depending on the player’s pacing, too. We feel this entry will provide very high satisfaction as an RPG experience.

starfire1978

Neo Member
SNES Secret of Mana was one of the best games ever made especially paired with multi tap and bomber-man. Hoping this will feel nostalgia bucket.

Top Bottom