• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visual Novels Community Thread | A Little Something for Everyone

Voliko

Nice. Think I'll start right away then.

The pacing is terrible so just try to stick with it, the last couple of hours are worth it.

I've been playing Remember 11, I'm not very far but I really like the character art. It has a nice style.

grim-tales

You can save at any point you like except for during the class trials (during which you get to save at half time (in 2 anyway, I can't remember if it's been like that in 1).

Thank you :) There doesnt seem to be an option for me to save anywhere though when I go into the menu, weird...

Verelios

I just stumbled upon The Grisaia Trilogy-Kickstarter. I backed the Clannad-Kickstarter because people on Gaf recommended it to me. Should I back this one too? Never heard of them before. If yes just the first one or are all three of them great/ must plays? Any opinions?
It's a great game, at least the first of the trilogy is. The common route has interesting plot points and the narrative is reminiscent of G senjou no maou and Sharin no Kuni. Other than the problem that plagues many long vns, fatigue, the routes are done well and characters are nicely done. If a little skewed at times in characterization.

I'd say $40 for the first is fair. Can't say anything about the latter two but I've heard they're fun.

grim-tales

The option should be under the "Data" option, iirc. Should be the last option at any rate, where other options like the backlog are.

Thank you :)
Enjoying the game so far - it seems like
Zero Escape meets Battle Royale
as far as I can tell so far. I love
the weird bear's wacky voice - very similar to Zero III's voice in VLR :D
Its not 'fully' voice acted though which can feel odd at times (like when theres a full line of dialogue but a character only says one phrase or "Huh?" or something).
Got past the prologue now.

Zakard

It's a great game, at least the first of the trilogy is. The common route has interesting plot points and the narrative is reminiscent of G senjou no maou and Sharin no Kuni. Other than the problem that plagues many long vns, fatigue, the routes are done well and characters are nicely done. If a little skewed at times in characterization.

I'd say $40 for the first is fair. Can't say anything about the latter two but I've heard they're fun.
Thanks. Do you think I should maybe first try Clannad and see if I like that before backing? Judging by their kind of style it appears that those VN are all a bit alike. My experience with VN is a bit limited, started with Ace Attorney, 999 and then Danganronpa. So I might not bet that experienced regarding these kind of VN.

Thanks. Do you think I should maybe first try Clannad and see if I like that before backing? Judging by their kind of style it appears that those VN are all a bit alike. My experience with VN is a bit limited, started with Ace Attorney, 999 and then Danganronpa. So I might not bet that experienced regarding these kind of VN.

Probably wouldn't hurt. VNs like Clannad are very different beasts from the likes of 999 and Danganronpa. They're less like games and more like those Choose Your Own Adventure novels. Scattered randomly throughout will be choices of what to do, and depending on your choices it'll take you down different variations of the story, usually pairing the main character with a specific girl so you learn about them and their story. There's no gameplay segments like the Trials in Ace Attouney and Danganronpa games and no puzzles to solve like in 999 and VLR.

So yeah, if you have no experience with these types of VNs, giving it a shot to see if the characters and story catch your interest is probably not a bad idea.

Verelios

I actually wouldn't say Clannad and Grisaia are exactly similar to each other. Key games are known for their characterization and slow moving touching plot points. Clannad and Tomoyo After are both this kind of VN. They give off a soft kind of feeling though.

I'd say Grisaia is a lot more modern in design...the mc is atypical, for most of the common route he's pretty put together, cynical, apathetic, kind of a new age mc. What moves the vn forward are the characters and arching plot points, mostly intrigue and curiosity.

If you're just getting into vns then yeah, Clannad would be a great place to start.

Zakard

I actually wouldn't say Clannad and Grisaia are exactly similar to each other. Key games are known for their characterization and slow moving touching plot points. Clannad and Tomoyo After are both this kind of VN. They give off a soft kind of feeling though.

I'd say Grisaia is a lot more modern in design...the mc is atypical, for most of the common route he's pretty put together, cynical, apathetic, kind of a new age mc. What moves the vn forward are the characters and arching plot points, mostly intrigue and curiosity.

If you're just getting into vns then yeah, Clannad would be a great place to start.

Thanks to the both of you. I will first try Clannad then.

“It’s looking like 2015 will be the year where everything I’ve built up over the years will come together and be let out into the world in one fell swoop.”
-Kotaro Uchikoshi
I don't want to read into this, but I already am. O_O

Source

aravuus

I'd be super bummed out but I dunno, Infinity HD wouldn't be bad either. Good excuse to replay Ever17. There's a game or two in that series that hasn't been translated at all too, isn't there?

upandaway

I'd be super bummed out but I dunno, Infinity HD wouldn't be bad either. Good excuse to replay Ever17. There's a game or two in that series that hasn't been translated at all too, isn't there?
Ever17 already got a remake and didn't get out of Japan, and that already had a translation. Even if there was an HD collection I doubt we'd get a single word translated

aravuus

I dunno, it's a 4gamer interview, wouldn't make sense to talk about anime in a(n apparently purely) video game related interview.

Especially since I'm sure he knows how much people want ZE3 to happen.

e: honestly kind of a cunt move if it is about the anime

Ok reading the blog, says how these are early bird prices... Any word on physical copies coming out for it?

Sadly, I've found nothing about it on MG or from any website at this point. I wouldn't mind getting a physical version of it far down the road on top of it though.

Yuuichi

Sadly, I've found nothing about it on MG or from any website at this point. I wouldn't mind getting a physical version of it far down the road on top of it though.

MG has talked about how they choose titles for physical before (could dig up a link but wayyyy too lazy) and titles to get physical releases are almost always previously successful titles rather than new ones, as the financial risk for a new physical release is rather large.

Also, in unrelated news, partial patches for SakuSaku and Clover Day's are out. Could care less about SakuSaku since I've already beaten it, but I should go finish Clover Day's before they finish the patch. It's hella long, and I heard from someone else that using auto on the common route, which is what the patch covers, can take like 8 hours to clear.

grim-tales

I dunno, it's a 4gamer interview, wouldn't make sense to talk about anime in a(n apparently purely) video game related interview.

Especially since I'm sure he knows how much people want ZE3 to happen.

e: honestly kind of a cunt move if it is about the anime

I'm not sure its about ZE3, thats still in limbo until he can get funding for it right? But it does "sound" like it could be about ZE3 as he talks about "what I've been working towards for years" or something like that... ::s
But dont forget the other Spike Chunsoft worker saying he wanted to do other mystery games....

cj_iwakura

I want to believe, but I don't want false hope either. The future sounded far too bleak based on ZE2's sales for me to get hype.

grim-tales

I want to believe, but I don't want false hope either. The future sounded far too bleak based on ZE2's sales for me to get hype.

I agree, I dont want false hopes either. Anyway wasnt there a fangame being made to supposedly help ZE3? So why would it be announced when thats not done yet?

MG has talked about how they choose titles for physical before (could dig up a link but wayyyy too lazy) and titles to get physical releases are almost always previously successful titles rather than new ones, as the financial risk for a new physical release is rather large.

I will take a look for that link then. That makes a lot of sense too, however unfortunate it is. Thanks!

I hope the recent Sekai Kickstarters will allow you to use BackerKit to add to your pledge after it is over. My wallet and Sekai would be much happier in the end.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member

Ah ok. They sure do publish a good amount of physical VNs, so I wasn't sure what their model was with it. Guess I'll get the Steam copy soon, then.

I agree, I dont want false hopes either. Anyway wasnt there a fangame being made to supposedly help ZE3? So why would it be announced when thats not done yet?
The fan game has obviously no official ties to Spike Chunsoft/Zero Escape, so its status has no bearing on anything other than it being a nice gesture.

grim-tales

Playing Danganronpa/Trigger Happy Havoc at the moment, enjoying it so far.
At the start I was like "WTF?! A creepy half good/evil bear thing, why does the rocket come down with a skeleton inside?" Getting a feeling of Battle Royale with a bit of 999.
That bear's voice sounds so much like Zero 3 from VLR though.
I do like the girl (your old schoolfriend?) who seems to want to team with you

Jazz573

I just finished Ever17. About a week ago I finished Never7, and I plan to complete the Infinity series with Remember11. So far Ever17 is my favourite game in the series. I especially liked how Uchikoshi-san tied in Never7 with Ever17. Ever17 is the fourth VN that I have completed, after Never7, 999, and the first Phoenix Wright. After playing 999, I decided that I wanted to see the games that Uchikoshi-san had worked on. After I finish Remember11, I will probably look at the other games related to the Infinity games, like I/O, Root Double, 12Riven and Code_18 (yeah I know it's a terrible game, but I just want to see for myself how terrible it is.) Of course, since Root Double, 12Riven and Code_18 aren't translated yet (12Riven is nearly finished), it will probably be a few years before I get to these games. Of course, while I wait there are plenty of other VNs that I want to play. In a few months I will be getting my copy of WAS (the sekaiproject translation), I've also backed the CLANNAD kickstarter, and I am also planning on backing the Grisaia kickstarter.

Asada and 5pb are remaking Hiroyuki Kanno's classic PC-98 VN YU-NO.

VtHKvKc.png

Cover artwork, maybe?

Info was just announced from Comiket 87; anyone got the chops for translating the site's message?

laser

Neo Member
Lets hope they improve YU-NO by getting rid of the mechanic known as "clicking a million different inane things on the screen to try of move the plot forward".

Korten

Banned
Maybe someone can help me...

I remember playing this visual novel years ago, long ago enough that I can only remember bits and pieces
but no concrete information. It took place at a magic school for only girls I believe? You could take various
classes, but not just for magic. There was a crude turn-based combat system in it and I never beat it... I
think it also had a romance element to it? I know it actually had a final boss fight.

Outside the Yuri relationships (I think?) I don't believe it was really NSFW? I mainly remember the class taking element and the combat
system. I do remember though that the final boss was a guy mage, and the students and teachers went to a crypt thing for safety. I remember that
pretty clearly. Also I think you almost kill someone at the start when your magic activates.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? I've been trying to find it for a long time now.

Gematsu has a translation of the Yu-No developer's message:

Makoto Asada’s Message

It’s been so long since I first stumbled upon the original game, but even now, my memories of YU-NO as an adventure game remain vivid in my mind to this very day. Realizing this took us acquiring the rights from the original publisher and though the game is in new hands, mine included, I intend to give it everything I have so that it can return anew in better shape than ever before.

YU-NO is a game I love deeply, one that my good friend Ryu Umemoto was involved in back in the day. [Umemoto was a game composer who passed away in 2011.] It’s a deeply important game for a lot of reasons, so I hope you’ll join us as we renew it for a new generation in 2015.

Ryo Nagi’s Message

Though the prospects of remaking a game as famous as YU-NO is nerve-wracking, I want to be able to help it do justice to the original source material while introducing those unfamiliar with the game as to what makes it so special. It was with those thoughts in mind that I decided to jump on board with this project.

Weird, I just finished YU-NO for the first time last week. A remake is most welcome though, while I enjoyed it quite a bit there still stands much to improve on. Gotta say though, I loved how ballsy the story gets when you think you're almost done.

grim-tales

What sort of VN is YU-NO? Is it romance/slice of lifey, mystery, sci-fi etc?
If its so highly regarded I'll have to check it out one day.

Kikirin

Maybe someone can help me...

I remember playing this visual novel years ago, long ago enough that I can only remember bits and pieces
but no concrete information. It took place at a magic school for only girls I believe? You could take various
classes, but not just for magic. There was a crude turn-based combat system in it and I never beat it... I
think it also had a romance element to it? I know it actually had a final boss fight.

Outside the Yuri relationships (I think?) I don't believe it was really NSFW? I mainly remember the class taking element and the combat
system. I do remember though that the final boss was a guy mage, and the students and teachers went to a crypt thing for safety. I remember that
pretty clearly. Also I think you almost kill someone at the start when your magic activates.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? I've been trying to find it for a long time now.

This sounds a lot like MAB Studio's Morning Star: http://renai.us/game/morningstar

sensui-tomo

What sort of VN is YU-NO? Is it romance/slice of lifey, mystery, sci-fi etc?
If its so highly regarded I'll have to check it out one day.

From what i've played (i never finished it, still trying to get around to it) its fantasy like, not a slice of life at all, oh and very very Branchy and requires multiple playthroughs
like virtue's last stand
but i recommend it none the less, just know that you'll be spending alot of time in it.

Kind of a shot in the dark, but does anyone know if there are any Ren'Py iOS novels?

Some friends and I are in the very early stages of trying to collaborate on one and trying to pick between Ren'Py and Visualnovelty, and the a quick glance makes it look like there hasn't been any successful iOS support for Ren'Py, but that was according to posts two to three years ago.

I know about some "VNs" from the west

yearwalk
80 Days
sunless sea
Aviary attorney
Hatoful boyfriend
Dragon pass

Can someone here recommend me similar (western) games that I might like?

Analogue: A Hate Story and Hate Plus http://store.steampowered.com/sub/32136/

It's by Christine Love, who also made Digital: A Love Story (free) and a couple other free VNs. The Hate games are semi-scifi, in the first game (Analogue: A Hate Story) you try to piece together the mysteries of the ship you've been hired to investigate by reading logs left on the ship's computer and interacting with the ship's AI.

I really enjoyed it, haven't played the second game yet.

Top Bottom