• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visual Novels Community Thread | A Little Something for Everyone

Am I the only one who thinks Nurse Love Addiction's localized script sounds very amateurish? It doesn't look like a professional product at all.

I haven't bought it cause yikes @ $40 but from all the screenshots I've seen and the judgment of others the writing doesn't look super great.

Shizuka

I do at points feel as though something is "off" about it.

It's almost every sentence for me. It's always "...", "???", ">.<" or stuff like that. They even explain what the characters are referring to with (description) when the text should be edited in a way that it's clear for the reader what they're referring to without that. The game is all sorts of cute and the characters are pretty fun, but the localization is really amateur.

Knurek

Okay, VNGAF, opinion time:

What do you think is worse, the romance in Dies Irae or the breakfast scenes in Fate/Stay Night?

jonjonaug

Okay, VNGAF, opinion time:

What do you think is worse, the romance in Dies Irae or the breakfast scenes in Fate/Stay Night?

Which routes of Dies Irae? I liked Kasumi and Marie as "romance" routes. Kei's was silly and she's better in Marie's route anyway (oh hey just like Rin in F/SN). Rea is bad.

Teppic

Okay, so I played the first episode of Higurashi for almost an hour and so far I don't like it. I know an hour isn't that long, but I dislike the the main character, and the other ones are just boring. The jokes in the game are so bad. Am I supposed to feel anything for these anime cliche characters? Any reason why I should contine playing and not refunding? I bought the five episodes and they weren't that cheap.

Shizuka

Okay, so I played the first episode of Higurashi for almost an hour and so far I don't like it. I know an hour isn't that long, but I dislike the the main character, and the other ones are just boring. The jokes in the game are so bad. Am I supposed to feel anything for these anime cliche characters? Any reason why I should contine playing and not refunding? I bought the five episodes and they weren't that cheap.

It takes a long time for things to take off during the first episode, but it's one of my favorite episodes.

jonjonaug

The first episode of Higurashi you spend half the time waiting for the infamous bad stuff to actually happen, but by the third you'll be wanting to go back to the slice of life when bad things start happening again. The characters have a way of growing on you throughout the episodes.

Wichu

I thought exactly the same thing when I first played it. Keep going. It's worth slogging through the terrible first part of the first episode to get to the real good stuff in the second part.

JulianImp

The first episode of Higurashi you spend half the time waiting for the infamous bad stuff to actually happen, but by the third you'll be wanting to go back to the slice of life when bad things start happening again. The characters have a way of growing on you throughout the episodes.

Yeah. The first episode of Higurashi spends all that time on generic slice of life stuff as a way to introduce you to the cast and Hinamizawa in general, and that's exactly what affords later episodes the chance to go straight to the non-SoL parts. There's also another major change to the formula that gets introduced once you get to episodes
5-8.

Both it an Umineko require a pretty hefty time investment at the start, but I'd say they're worth it.

The first few hours of Higurashi are supposed to be idyllic, generic, and boring.

bomblord1

Banned
Playing through Fruit of Grisaia and I got to the part on what I assume is Amane's route where she
has you read her diary

This flashback scene I've now been in for a good 2+ hours now and it shows no signs of coming to a close. This is absolutely nerve wracking because it's dragging on and I know because of what she said before
that they all die in the end.

The actual arc, story, and characters viewed in isolation is really good (in fact I'm liking it better than many parts of the main story) but it just goes on and on and on. The fact I know it is a foregone conclusion and it is dragging it out is making it difficult and almost painful to read.

Teppic

I'm confused. I decided to watch a let's play to see if I would like the game further in. It doesn't have the same translation as the one I played. https://youtu.be/MAVDubW7wbM

In it they joke about the main character knowing about Rena's measurements, which is weird, but not as weird as in my version were they're talking about how big the main characters crotch is and that he start to unzip his fly as a funny joke.

Do the voice patch also alter the text? I played it without it.

Knurek

I take Dies Irae's romance scene versus its battle scene, the battle usually drag and ended up anti climatic anyway

Honestly, the game could have been just a 60 hour three-way Trifa/Gold/Mercurius conversation and it wouldn't be much of a loss...

Shizuka

It has been a few years since the first Vita visual novel project popped up on Kickstarter, and here we are years later. Which project do you guys think will be released first, if any? I used to think it'd be Muv Luv, but we all know how that one is shaping up.

Lain

None of them will release. Vita is dead. I put mine back into its box and never looked back.

I think Muv Luv will release first anyways.

Ekid

Nice.

I went full digital on Vita so I hope it will come to PSN too. Glad I didn't bite during Steam's sales.

Also since it is currently on sale for 10€ on the PSN, is Code: Realize worth it for someone who isn't particularly interested in the otome aspect of it?

ShyMel

Nice.

I went full digital on Vita so I hope it will come to PSN too. Glad I didn't bite during Steam's sales.

Also since it is currently on sale for 10€ on the PSN, is Code: Realize worth it for someone who isn't particularly interested in the otome aspect of it?

I think the story of Code: Realize is quite interesting and the game doesn't focus that much on the romance.

Li Kao

Nice.

Also since it is currently on sale for 10&#8364; on the PSN, is Code: Realize worth it for someone who isn't particularly interested in the otome aspect of it?

If I remember correctly, a PS4 port of Code Realize with added fandisc will be released in 2018.
For what it's worth.

Nice.

As somebody who played it for the otome aspect of it, I think it's a bit lacking in that department, actually (apart from the gorgeous character designs and some choice moments). The setting, story and pretty cool heroine makes up for it.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
If it was that first scene at the beginning with Amane you got a good several hours of reading before another one comes up.

I've got another flight next week, so I'll try it again. No idea what I'll be in for by that point, though, so... I guess there's a certain thrill to that.

Top Bottom