• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visual Novels Community Thread | A Little Something for Everyone

Deeda

Bleh, that sucks.

Steins;Gate on vita was really perfect. It was super comfortable and I could read in bed for hours. It was a great platform for VN.

Anyone tried the shield or any of those type of streaming handhelds for PC VNs? I wonder if that would be closer than dealing with a full size tablet. Although ipad isn't bad, I read comics on that for hours in bed sometimes and it's comfortable enough. Maybe I should look into the PC streaming to ipad stuff.

I have the Shield and I find it very comfortable to use in bed. I would definitely recommend it! I haven't used the streaming feature do much, but I've tested it and should work fine, but doesn't work as well if you don't have the controller (I found that the touchscreen controls didn't always work the way I wanted). But for something like a VN, it would work great.

Shizuka

Anyone tried the shield or any of those type of streaming handhelds for PC VNs? I wonder if that would be closer than dealing with a full size tablet. Although ipad isn't bad, I read comics on that for hours in bed sometimes and it's comfortable enough. Maybe I should look into the PC streaming to ipad stuff.

Might as well get the GPD Win, then.

I do recommend one, with a caveat: get one that has at least 2 gb of ram. 1 gb is pushing it in some VNs and outright useless in those that use fancy systems like emote

I would recommend 4GB Visual Novels might run ok with 2 but Windows 10 nearly chokes on it. Don't even think of opening more than a few tabs in a web browser or trying to have something in the background while reading.
thanks

Bleh, that sucks.

Steins;Gate on vita was really perfect. It was super comfortable and I could read in bed for hours. It was a great platform for VN.

regarding the pc streaming. For example, the google Remote Desktop app has some issues. some VN, when you click on the iPad, the VN doesn't respond.
edit: try Splashtop I just downdloaded it, The sound and clicking issues i had iwth google remote desktop appears to work fine so far.

bomblord1

Banned
Bleh, that sucks.

The 10" non pro Surface is a good option it's just powerful enough and is only 10" + significantly lighter than the pro variant.

https://m.newegg.com/products/9SIA5...NADDRIJP0fPkkgcXdrhoCdYwQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Another possibility is the Yoga Book also light and small and just powerful for VN's and light general use. Lighter than the surface I believe and can fold over into a tablet.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...ghEMAA&usg=AFQjCNHqqEflJVipO3UPuw_Lfmhk3XKfXA

rickyson1

interested in hearing any impressions on the letter if anyone here tries it out

sounds like something I could potentially enjoy quite a bit but i'm pretty picky about my VNs so i'll wait a while

Koriandrr

I am broken. Why is Nightshade so damn sad. I expected a lighthearted cutesy otome, I got a super heavy tragedy instead. And for whatever reason I can't stop replaying it to get all endings. :(

bomblord1

Banned
A demo for the sunrider devs newest game is out. Haven't checked it out yet so I have no idea if it's good or not https://denpasoft.com/products/shining-song-starnova-demo Be warned link is NSFW.

On an unrelated topic

Just finished every route in Fruit of Grisaia. I gotta say felt like Amane's route was definitely the strongest by far took me on a much stronger emotional roller coaster than the rest her flashback in particular was just so well written. Looking for suggestions on new VN's now if anyone's got any.

Marche90

Ugh, I know I jumped it without looking and bought it on Steam on principle alone, but my god, I don't recommend Dal Segno at all. Io's route was on the lower end of "acceptable", and Noeri's route was absolutely horrid (at the middle of the route I just put the text display on instant and basically hammered Enter after half-reading the sentence). And I'm still missing four more routes. Should have waited for W Happiness and see if that one also had an 18+ patch.

The 10" non pro Surface is a good option it's just powerful enough and is only 10" + significantly lighter than the pro variant.

Another possibility is the Yoga Book also light and small and just powerful for VN's and light general use. Lighter than the surface I believe and can fold over into a tablet.

Funnily enough, I wouldn't recommend a high-end Windows tablet if you only want it to read visual novels. Try opening one on a 1080p display. It looks absolutely terrible.

As for the 4gb comment, as long as you're using a 32-bit version of Win10, you'll be fine. You do need to mind what you're opening, but it won't slowdown on a constant basis unlike the 64-bit version. Commenting this because I've used both versions on different machines with 2gb of RAM, and the difference between using a laptop with a 64-bit flavor of windows and a tablet with a 32-bit OS is like night and day.

Saphirax

I am broken. Why is Nightshade so damn sad. I expected a lighthearted cutesy otome, I got a super heavy tragedy instead. And for whatever reason I can't stop replaying it to get all endings. :(

Good VNs do that to you. I felt strangely empty after finishing it. At least not all of the routes were tragic.

Ugh, I know I jumped it without looking and bought it on Steam on principle alone, but my god, I don't recommend Dal Segno at all. Io's route was on the lower end of "acceptable", and Noeri's route was absolutely horrid (at the middle of the route I just put the text display on instant and basically hammered Enter after half-reading the sentence). And I'm still missing four more routes. Should have waited for W Happiness and see if that one also had an 18+ patch.

Funnily enough, I wouldn't recommend a high-end Windows tablet if you only want it to read visual novels. Try opening one on a 1080p display. It looks absolutely terrible.

As for the 4gb comment, as long as you're using a 32-bit version of Win10, you'll be fine. You do need to mind what you're opening, but it won't slowdown on a constant basis unlike the 64-bit version. Commenting this because I've used both versions on different machines with 2gb of RAM, and the difference between using a laptop with a 64-bit flavor of windows and a tablet with a 32-bit OS is like night and day.
watcha mean? As far as I know, there is a 18+ patch. You have to download it from their website.

Marche90

watcha mean? As far as I know, there is a 18+ patch. You have to download it from their website.

I'm talking about W Happiness, not Dal Segno. I'm wondering if absolutely all their new titles with Steam versions will get the patches, including that one. derp

EDIT: wait, really? My brain didn't processed that phrase correctly, lol. Will have to check it out whenever I get out of the office.

bomblord1

Banned

Glad I avoided that one was thinking of pickin' it up because it had a passing resemblance to Da Capo III and it's from the same publisher.

Marche90

Glad I avoided that one was thinking of pickin it up because it had a passing resemblance to Da Capo III and it's from the same publisher.

Even with the translation of the original Da Capo and the better translation of this one, I prefer it to this. That bad ended up. *sigh*. My main issue is the plot structure. It makes no damn sense at all, the drama is terribly done and the resolutions are facepalm-worthy. Boy do I regret it... I'm keeping at it pretty much because I spent money on it lol

Koriandrr

Good VNs do that to you. I felt strangely empty after finishing it. At least not all of the routes were tragic.

I feel like I made a mistake by going for Kuroyuki and Chojiro first. Goemon felt like sunshine and rainbows in comparison. Chojiro broke me completely...

Saphirax

I feel like I made a mistake by going for Kuroyuki and Chojiro first. Goemon felt like sunshine and rainbows in comparison. Chojiro broke me completely...

Chojiro didn't deserve any of that :(. His route was too much. Goemon and Hanzo's routes are despair free...for the most part.

Can I double edit that to clarify? I really meant a Princess Evangile 18+ patch *facepalm*

haha :p no worries. IIRC starting with Dal Segno, all their future release release will get a 18+ patch. I think they are working on patches for previous games on steam as well. I would assume the PEWH 18+ patch will be release when the game is release.

Saphirax

Sounds like it is time for me to try an otome

Do it~

Character development in one of the routes is top notch. I'd go so far to say that it's one of the best in video games period. The way a certain relationship progresses despite the game being more on the short side is quite a feat.

Koriandrr

Chojiro didn't deserve any of that :(. His route was too much. Goemon and Hanzo's routes are despair free...for the most part.

Hanzo and Gekkamaru are the only ones I haven't finished yet, I have very little interest in them as characters to be honest, but I'm sure I'll get to it soon enough.

Saphirax what other otomes would you recommend in that style? I don't think I've played that many with actual death and twists that I didn't see coming.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Been meaning to ask: What is the import consensus on Danganronpa v3? I've avoided everything due to spoilers, and honestly keep forgetting about it out so soon (packed year!), but I'm curious with how it stacks up to the other 3.

Yuuichi

Been meaning to ask: What is the import consensus on Danganronpa v3? I've avoided everything due to spoilers, and honestly keep forgetting about it out so soon (packed year!), but I'm curious with how it stacks up to the other 3.

it's been a while, but I recall most of the stuff I saw on twitter being positive

can't say how it stacks up to the others, but at least a worthy entry

Saphirax

Hanzo and Gekkamaru are the only ones I haven't finished yet, I have very little interest in them as characters to be honest, but I'm sure I'll get to it soon enough.

Saphirax what other otomes would you recommend in that style? I don't think I've played that many with actual death and twists that I didn't see coming.

Oh man, Hanzo's route is the best. Enju is amazing in his route.

Do you have a Vita? If so, Collar x Malice is out this week and it looks right up your alley.

As for PC, the first part of Hakuoki should be out on Steam soon. Although if you're not fond of historical settings, you may find it dull. But there's plenty of despair all around! Only negative is that the second part doesn't have a release date yet. 2018 most likely.

If you're not averse to fan translations Black wolves saga Bloody nightmare has an English patch. Haven't played the game, but I heard it was dark.

Another one I haven't played, but heard it was good is Nameless ~The one thing you must recall~

Hatoful Boyfriend is a deceptive game that looks silly at a first glance, but is anything but. The true route is supposedly pretty twisted.

A really cool video just got posted, What is Chaos;Child and Why Should You Care?

It purports to be spoiler-free, though I'll warn those "going in blind" sorts of people that it does go over the structure of the game and number of routes, gameplay mechanics, simple stuff like that.

I'm also curious to know if you guys think it would be worth posting a thread with this video. Might be cool to raise awareness of the game.

Buzzi

A really cool video just got posted, What is Chaos;Child and Why Should You Care?

It purports to be spoiler-free, though I'll warn those "going in blind" sorts of people that it does go over the structure of the game and number of routes, gameplay mechanics, simple stuff like that.

I'm also curious to know if you guys think it would be worth posting a thread with this video. Might be cool to raise awareness of the game.

Now that's a cool video, I was kind of ignoring it since it seemed like after S;G nothing really good came from the series, but this gives me something to hype again.

Maybe a new thread for an opinion without (?) even a date is a bit too much though.

Now that's a cool video, I was kind of ignoring it since it seemed like after S;G nothing really good came from the series, but this gives me something to hype again.

Maybe a new thread for an opinion without (?) even a date is a bit too much though.

I suppose you may have a point, though it was slated for Q3 and some promo material said September, they haven't nailed down the date. Preorders are up on Amazon US now, though.

Edit: I'm also considering signing up for this game's OT, and a thread like that would give me some valuable data on what to put in the FAQ, haha.

Koriandrr

Oh man, Hanzo's route is the best. Enju is amazing in his route.

Do you have a Vita? If so, Collar x Malice is out this week and it looks right up your alley.

As for PC, the first part of Hakuoki should be out on Steam soon. Although if you're not fond of historical settings, you may find it dull. But there's plenty of despair all around! Only negative is that the second part doesn't have a release date yet. 2018 most likely.

If you're not averse to fan translations Black wolves saga Bloody nightmare has an English patch. Haven't played the game, but I heard it was dark.

Another one I haven't played, but heard it was good is Nameless ~The one thing you must recall~

Hatoful Boyfriend is a deceptive game that looks silly at a first glance, but is anything but. The true route is supposedly pretty twisted.

Thanks a lot for this!

I've played Hakuoki and although I liked it, I found the final Kazama Chikage route the best and wished there was more to it, as to me that was the true story. Enjoyed Souji most of all from the rest, but generally I found it hard to love the characters.

Collar x Malice looks amazing, I'll definitely check it out! I don't mind fan translations at all, in fact from my experience they even tend to be better than the original sometimes. I'll give Black Wolves a go too, thanks :D

I've played Nameless (I'm PC primarily, but I do own all consoles) and it was pretty good but not dark in the tragic sense. More like... dark in the horror sense I suppose. I enjoyed it, but it was a lot less... mature.

I only finished the Okosan and the library bird endings in Hatoful Boyfriend. I laughed and then I cried. :'D

Saphirax

Thanks a lot for this!

I've played Hakuoki and although I liked it, I found the final Kazama Chikage route the best and wished there was more to it, as to me that was the true story. Enjoyed Souji most of all from the rest, but generally I found it hard to love the characters.

Collar x Malice looks amazing, I'll definitely check it out! I don't mind fan translations at all, in fact from my experience they even tend to be better than the original sometimes. I'll give Black Wolves a go too, thanks :D

I've played Nameless (I'm PC primarily, but I do own all consoles) and it was pretty good but not dark in the tragic sense. More like... dark in the horror sense I suppose. I enjoyed it, but it was a lot less... mature.

I only finished the Okosan and the library bird endings in Hatoful Boyfriend. I laughed and then I cried. :'D

You're in luck then! Kazama's route has been expanded and it now doesn't feel like an afterthought. There are also six new routes to boot. Maybe it'd be best to wait until both parts are out though and/or on sale.

Heard nothing but praise about CxM, so I'm excited to finally be able to play it. If you do get it, and if you want to get all the bad endings you'll need to use a guide. The game doesn't keep track of them and going back to get them is kind of a hassle.

bomblord1

Banned
Heads up Koihime Musou and a few other decent VN's are on sale on Nutaku (Koihime Musou is $27)

Can't exactly link to it due to the EXTREME NSFW of the site and also not a big fan of the site (the games are buried under blatant cashgrab smut) but it's a really good deal.

Also question: Any opinions on Chrono Clock and or Princess Evangile (both on sale for about $30) are they any good? Has anyone here tried them?

Koriandrr

You're in luck then! Kazama's route has been expanded and it now doesn't feel like an afterthought. There are also six new routes to boot. Maybe it'd be best to wait until both parts are out though and/or on sale.

Heard nothing but praise about CxM, so I'm excited to finally be able to play it. If you do get it, and if you want to get all the bad endings you'll need to use a guide. The game doesn't keep track of them and going back to get them is kind of a hassle.

Oh whaaatttt I didn't know about the extension of Kazama's route! That's awesome thank you :D

Now I'm hyped too! It is a bit pricey, but I've come to terms with the fact that vita otome games just never go on sale and have an unreasonable price.. :(

Shizuka

img_1819jrsg0.jpg

Koriandrr

Actually, they go on sale all the time.

I must be super unlucky and miss it all the time then. I have an amazon wishlist too with mostly vita games and have notifications on for sales. I haven't gotten a single notification. Are the sales mostly on PSN? I'm EU btw, if that makes any difference.

Saphirax

I must be super unlucky and miss it all the time then. I have an amazon wishlist too with mostly vita games and have notifications on for sales. I haven't gotten a single notification. Are the sales mostly on PSN? I'm EU btw, if that makes any difference.

Yeah, they go on sale quite often. In fact, Period Cube and Hakuoki Kyoto Winds are currently on sale on EU psn.

Is the game itself even worth getting?

It won Moe Game Awards 2016
frankly I haven't looked into those type of things sooooo yeah...
and appears to have higher ratings than other moege on VNDB. i bought it but haven't had a chance to play it. But I do enjoy my moege...

Top Bottom