• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visuals that just don't quite click

GFTyS.jpg

While I appreciate the art as good art, it doesn't click with me. It doesn't make want to play the game, there's just something about it which I can't put my finger on.

Bastion's environments are like this character's aesthetic applied to world design.

3692660246_2f42f7e9d5.jpg

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I can't find pictures of it, but from most perspectives, Chase's (Uncharted Vita) triceps (which is just a texture) looks like mud. For around half the game I was wondering, why she always was muddy on her arms, only form some certain perspectives it looked like this texture should model a triceps and it took this long for me to realize ^^.

Suairyu

Banned
that fuzzy smear all over Okami that does not allow me to see the art.
t2rHZl.jpg
You mean the paper filter? That's kind of essential to the artstyle. Like, it's a completely different look without it. The whole point is that it looks like an old Japanese painting. You remove the filter and it just looks like a stylised 3D environment, nothing special.

Would be like wanting to turn off the dynamic lighting in Doom 3 so you could better appreciate the art. Or removing the colour red from Mario.

You mean the paper filter? That's kind of essential to the artstyle. Like, it's a completely different look without it. The whole point is that it looks like an old Japanese painting. You remove the filter and it just looks like a stylised 3D environment, nothing special.

Would be like wanting to turn off the dynamic lighting in Doom 3 so you could better appreciate the art. Or removing the colour red from Mario.

Absolutely not. The "paper filter" just makes the whole game look blurry, not like paper. And the idea that the art is nothing special without the paper filter is quite silly.

JB1981

For some reason I HATED Crysis 2's visuals. I played the beta and did not like the way the game looked.
crysis_2_multiplayer_beta_1.jpg
Can't really say why. I think it was the brightness maybe... something like that.

Didn't like Blacklight: Tango Downs art style either. It was super bland and gray, and everything was made really grainy and the whole interference/blue screen of death/static effects they had when taking damage were annoying.
Blacklight_Tango_Down_final_smg2.jpg

Single player graphics are amazing.

7Th

Final Fantasy 13

Anime-like characters, anime-like story, anime-like dialogue. Ultra realistic graphics. That game just looked and felt wrong.

Agree 100%; even some Kingdom Hearts-like stylization would have been better than the realistic approach they went with. And I say this as someone that mostly enjoyed the game.

Dead

well not really...yet
The only character designs that felt out of place in XIII imo were Team Nora. Total clash.

Most recently, Kingdoms of Amalur's visuals really hurt me. It's an imitation of successful visuals without any personality of its own. Some of the monsters look OK, but that's it...world design and character models are as bland at calculated as they could be.

Beyond that, to name something I'm sure I'm not alone on...Zynga style graphics are hellish(like Farmville, for example). They're so dispassionate they make Kingdoms of Amular look like Bayonetta.

Zia

Absolutely not. The "paper filter" just makes the whole game look blurry, not like paper. And the idea that the art is nothing special without the paper filter is quite silly.

To me that emulated screenshot looks like a lifeless, glossy pseudo-Japanese comic book. Something from UDON or whoever. As intended it's gauzy and pastoral and yes, it does at least look like traditional Japanese art in the vein of Hokusai if not "like paper."

grumpy

I don't think it's fair to just label XIII's plot as "anime." There's a lot of anime with mature, competent stories intended for older audiences. XIII's story is just bad. Were you trying to suggest that the plot was childish and the visuals should have been more kiddy to match that? I personally don't the think those gorgeous graphics should have accommodated that mess of a story at all. The story should have just been better to be on the same caliber as the visuals.

Sorry, I phrased it rather poorly. What I meant to say was that the everything about the story and characters in 13 felt like "googly-eye anime" (for lack of a better term) and that it clashed with the choice in graphics and art style.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
The typical dudebro shooter graphics never clicked for me of course, but that's a given.

Hate the "UE3" look, especially when everything has an excess of bloom and pissfilter, and characters lack hair.

I normally like games with lots of color, but the World of Warcraft artstyle looks really weird and ugly to me. Characters have these strange proportions and stances, and the color palette isn't cohesive at all. It's just hard to put into words why it doesn't work for me.

greycolumbus

The success of others absolutely infuriates me.
Epic Mickey

I loved Mickey and Oswald's animation and design so much but it clashed considerably with the bland, uninspired levels. I know it's supposed to be dark and drab and gloomy but Banjo Kazooie did that shit properly with a lot less.

The pallete is just sort of all over the place. Skies are piss yellow. Everything is soft and muted. It congeals into an ugly mess.

Ultimately, instead of being grim and dystopian, it just looks unrefined on multiple levels.

1042885-10130_super.jpg

It's like they set out to emulate Curse of Monkey Island's fucking incredible art style and somehow managed to fail in every way.
Specifically, what bothered me with this one was Guybrush's hair. Just what the heck did they do to it? The way it comes off of his forehead looks so unnatural that it almost comes off as a bad wig - the original graphics didn't have this problem at all.

Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge Special Edition was better about this, fortunately, but admittedly I've been playing through that with the original graphics instead.

Final Fantasy 13

Anime-like characters, anime-like story, anime-like dialogue. Ultra realistic graphics. That game just looked and felt wrong.

To be honest, I don't think I'd hate 13 so much if it looked like one of the recent "Tales of" games.

wut

Nonsense.

Team Nora in FFXIII look really stupid, and not fitting the world compared to their peers.

This one is true. They somehow fit more in FF13-2.

Battlefield 3 hands down.

The game doesn't really have a style. While it has a beefy engine, the style of the game is bland beyond anything. It's so sterile and completely forgettable.

Can't agree with this at all, I love BF3's style and I am one of the few people that think the dirty camera look adds to the atmosphere of the game.

Crysis 2.

Hold on, hold on. Don't lynch me yet. I am perfectly aware of how excellent it is technically, but 2 things grate to a degree that ends up with me not liking the visuals.

1. The insistence on having to use a post process AA filter if you want to use DX11. Fuck that noise. And specifically fuck its ability to ruin any high res texture.

2. The overall picture quality. This is super hard to put my finger on. Look at the below:

ibjsFIUBtRe92X.png

I think it's the way in which things lose their detail in the distance. It could be an LOD issue and partly be related to the FXAA I've applied. But it's grainy, smudgy and just looks wrong.

Overall I prefer the look of Crysis. The image is more... consistent? I dunno:

iN1ezHZVppxfo.png

Dennis

Banned
Crysis 2.

Hold on, hold on. Don't lynch me yet. I am perfectly aware of how excellent it is technically, but 2 things grate to a degree that ends up with me not liking the visuals.

1. The insistence on having to use a post process AA filter if you want to use DX11. Fuck that noise. And specifically fuck its ability to ruin any high res texture.

2. The overall picture quality. This is super hard to put my finger on. Look at the below:

ibjsFIUBtRe92X.png

I think it's the way in which things lose their detail in the distance. It could be an LOD issue and partly be related to the FXAA I've applied. But it's grainy, smudgy and just looks wrong.

Overall I prefer the look of Crysis. The image is more... consistent? I dunno:

iN1ezHZVppxfo.png
The biggest problem with Crysis is the hideous sickly-looking color filter.

Almost ruins the game.

Color filters are ruining gaming.

The biggest problem with Crysis is the hideous sickly-looking color filter.

Almost ruins the game.

Color filters are ruining gaming.

Crysis or Crysis 2? I find Crysis 2 hits you with a number of filters throughout the game.

I've also noticed Crysis 2 is stylistically different to Crysis in a way that doesn't quite sit right with me. Half movie realism, half cartoon.

Specifically, what bothered me with this one was Guybrush's hair. Just what the heck did they do to it? The way it comes off of his forehead looks so unnatural that it almost comes off as a bad wig - the original graphics didn't have this problem at all.

Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge Special Edition was better about this, fortunately, but admittedly I've been playing through that with the original graphics instead.

Agreed, LeChuck's Revenge SE's new artwork was a huge improvement over Secret's. It actually matches / compliments the original style.

boiled goose

good with gravy
humans in MP3. Hideous. Definitely one of Retro's weaknesses regarding visuals.

metroid-prime-3-corruption-20070822001341445.jpg

bioshock. Why are people made out of shiny platic?
640px-Bioshock_PoorJohnny.jpg

Rambler

Characters having weapons floating on their back when they're not in use. It looks goofy, especially in 3rd person shooters where it's staring you in the face the whole time.

Maybe UE4 will be able to render slings and holsters.

8831.jpg

The art style of Star Fox Command was awful.
I can't believe I ever got used to Falco's enlargened forehead, which he's sported since Assault. Thing was borked over!

For that matter: Link's lips in Skyward Sword are nightmare fuel. Irksome every time I see them, and all they do is make him look like Michael Jackson.

jackdoe

I agree with Star Ocean IV. Extreme, extreme anime proportions with photo realistic textures make your skin crawl. Creepy.

megalowho

6865715661_9a53425ca5.jpg

Braid has some nice backgrounds, but most of the overall visual style leaves me cold. Something unpleasant about the way those creatures look, Tim's design, the art assets.

Top Bottom