• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita can't connect to PSN store on firmware 3.57

Suzzopher

Well my PSPlus renewed and guess what? The new expiry date is not reflected on Vita, my plus games are no longer valid. I can't access my cloud saves either.

Pretty huge issue Sony are facing here, same with my pstv too.

Yopis

First thought I was clear. With Vita 1000 model battery drains super fast now. If in standby it's really bad also.

Well my PSPlus renewed and guess what? The new expiry date is not reflected on Vita, my plus games are no longer valid. I can't access my cloud saves either.

Did you try playing the games? My new expiry dates didn't show until I actually started the games once.

Shaneus

It's weird, I don't update my Vita because I have an exploit on there (to play PSP games not on the store that I already own) and my PS+ games won't play either. It's on 3.35 or something.

Edit: Oh wait, I might not have "activated" it (there's a way to do this without updating) since my last PS+ subscription was renewed.

So the DNS solution worked for a minute for me and then didn't work. However this fix from Reddit has been working for most of the night

https://www.reddit.com/r/vita/comments/43jvjw/found_a_possible_psn_fix_that_may_work_for_some/

1. Turn off Vita
2. Remove memory card
3. Turn on Vita
Your database should update at this point
4. Access the Store
You should be able to access the store
5. Turn off your Vita
6. Re-insert Vita memory card
7. Turn on Vita again
Your database should update again at this point
8. Try and access the PSN store and it should (might?) work

Worked for me. Have now been able to access the store several times tonight and also download items with no issues.

Good luck all

Aaaaand didn't work. Gotta take this puppy downstairs and hook it up to the PS3 to reinstall the update, since safe mode doesn't connect to wifi.

DigiMish

I'm having the battery issue as well (white AC vita) - I charge it up to 100%, then overnight it goes completely dead. Whereas before it lasted AT LEAST a couple of days.

fulsome

After a rebuild database and restart, my battery issue seemed to have disappeared. I also turned off WiFi on the unit and the standby time seems to have gone back to normal. So I'm not sure which process resolved that (rebuild database, resetting the system, or leaving WiFi off).

NTSC Vita slim 2000 here.

Aaaaand didn't work. Gotta take this puppy downstairs and hook it up to the PS3 to reinstall the update, since safe mode doesn't connect to wifi.
Damn ;(

This issue is just ridiculous. I can't believe Sony hasn't even acknowledged anything. It's been getting a lot of traction and visibility in several large gaming sites.

That fix I put in place has still been working for me.

I don't appear to be having a battery problem, though I don't really put my vita in sleep mode. That said, I wanted to post here so this issue gains traction. It's ridiculous to me that Sony hasn't acknowledged the problem publicly.

If they care this little about the system they should just stop updating the firmware and let us do whatever the hell we want with the system. Because sloppy firmware updates are just a disservice to your base, regardless of how little the system is contributing to your bottom line.

I don't appear to be having a battery problem, though I don't really put my vita in sleep mode. That said, I wanted to post here so this issue gains traction. It's ridiculous to me that Sony hasn't acknowledged the problem publicly.

If they care this little about the system they should just stop updating the firmware and let us do whatever the hell we want with the system. Because sloppy firmware updates are just a disservice to your base, regardless of how little the system is contributing to your bottom line.

The fact that this all stems from a firmware update that does nothing but remove functionality is what makes it worse. The console has zero piracy or good grace left with the general gamer. I'm at the point where I wait for a consensus before updating because I'm scared something like this will happen. I'm glad I declined the update.

Hanmik

I have no idea if this is legit... but hmmm.

https://www.reddit.com/r/vita/comments/43tf6g/a_word_on_the_ps_vita_connection_issue/

Hi all,

I am a member of the support staff at SCE and thought you'd appreciate some confirmation while you wait for an official response. SCE is aware of an issue affecting some PS Vita systems running the latest software. The issue is currently being investigated. The problem was not caught in testing for reasons that will be apparent momentarily and it has taken some time to verify that the issue exists. SCE expect to define the problem in the near future and when that happens front-line support staff will be educated on the issue and the information being given to affected users will become consistent.

The telemetry currently being received indicates that affected PS Vita systems are configured in a manner inconsistent with the official software update scheme. Preliminary investigations indicate that software tools have been used to copy game data and save data content between the PlayStation Vita system and home computers. Sony provides no official tool for this purpose and discourages users from using third-party tools in case they cause issues such as these. The PlayStation Network allows users to safely re-download game content, and PlayStation Plus provides users with 1GB of storage space for PlayStation Vita game saves. Please use these legitimate channels if you with to manage the data on your system.

PlayStation Network authentication is being disrupted on the affected systems by the use of unofficial data management tools. It is likely that the battery drain is related the same issue. There are no plans to modify the PS Vita software to restore compatibility with third-party tools. A work-around is being developed that will allow affected systems to connect to the PlayStation Network, but this may result in the loss of data on the affected systems.

Systems modified with this way are not entitled to warranty service. The use of systems modified in this way is in breach of the PlayStation Network terms and conditions, and therefore pro-rated PlayStation Plus refunds will not be provided where this can be shown to be the cause of the problem. (Again, our telemetry makes this fairly easy to identify.) It appears that a minority of systems experiencing the issue have not been modified, and in these instances pro-rated PlayStation Plus refunds may be issued.

I'd like to thank you for your patience while this issue is resolved.

Regards

Doug

so ehhh... ehhh.. what?

cuilan

Vita 1000 model. My battery went from 100% in the morning to dead by the afternoon, and I never even took it out of my pocket the whole day. I was really afraid that my Vita was completely dead until I got home and started charging it back up again.

I somehow got the store working for me again at least. Probably because I reformatted my memory card due to data corruption issues.

Preliminary investigations indicate that software tools have been used to copy game data and save data content between the PlayStation Vita system and home computers. Sony provides no official tool for this purpose and discourages users from using third-party tools in case they cause issues such as these. The PlayStation Network allows users to safely re-download game content, and PlayStation Plus provides users with 1GB of storage space for PlayStation Vita game saves. Please use these legitimate channels if you with to manage the data on your system.

That poster must know that Content Manager exists and is 100% official. Just someone messing with people.

This is only effecting the 1000 models right? Cuz I have the slim and everything is fine. I don't have the battery and store connection issue.

hesido

Somebody screwed up the update, plain and simple. Standby shouldn't drain batteries as much.

But I really doubt Sony gives a single fuck.

Shenmue

Banned
I have a 1000 model and no issues either on my end. This must be triggered by something very specific.

Yeah this is super strange I've had no battery issues and no problem using the store. If anything downloading from the store seems to be faster and more stable. I download Dissidia and Bastion without a single hitch.

Turnstyle

For what it's worth, I've got an original 1000, and noticed the other day that the battery soon died when left in standby (when usually I can leave it like that for weeks without total power loss).

Went to download a game the other night, and just stuck on the store loading screen as others have mentioned. Not tried any of the suggested work around a yet.

Hopefully Sony will fix soon, very frustrating. I only have an 8 gig card, so if they can't fix it I'm stuck playing the same few games for the rest of my life.

data

Saw this thread a few days ago and today I was going to post in here saying, I didn't have the standby battery problem at all (haven't checked the vita store in weeks), and when I was going to see if I could connect to the store, it said I needed to update, even though a few days ago I swore I had chosen to install the new update but it seems like all it did was download it. Also, did anyone else notice something in the music for the vita store? it has this really weird sound, that doesn't sound like it should be there. I don't recall it ever sounding like that.

Ludens

Banned
I have a PSTV only, no physical games, I can't access the store at all. The update killed totally my device.

That poster must know that Content Manager exists and is 100% official. Just someone messing with people.

EXACTLY!

I downloaded the latest version of the content manager from sony's own websites last week, backed up persona 4 saves to my PC

thats officially produced and supported Vita to PC software, the content manager App on the Vita has transfer to PC options

that statement is the biggest bullshit ever.............or more worrying the Vita division really are abandoned and don't even know what sony has produced

koutoru

I have no idea if this is legit... but hmmm.

https://www.reddit.com/r/vita/comments/43tf6g/a_word_on_the_ps_vita_connection_issue/

so ehhh... ehhh.. what?
What third party tools? The only thing I know of that you can use to move the game data and save data are the Content Manager and your own file system on your computer.

Game data and save data can be separated and put back together just by cutting and pasting the files on your computer or by using the Content Manager, no third party tools needed.

I wish Sony would be more open and transparent with issues like these. At least acknowledge there's a problem and that you're working on a fix.

Rezae

I was thinking of picking up one of those blue Vita's from Gamestop Friday. Does anyone know how this would work doing a new activation on the system? Would I HAVE to update to the latest firmware to attach my PSN account, or could I enter it and refuse the update?

I have a massive digital library but I think I read some work arounds to get downloads started by queuing in the browser store and getting the downloads to trigger through a few different methods.

I'm so glad I noticed this thread. I have a blue 2000 Vita, and over the last few week or so my battery life has been abysmal -- like, so bad that a few days ago my Vita went from full charge to nothing in the span of a few hours while it was in rest mode. Hopefully Sony get around to fixing it soon, because this makes the system borderline unusable.

Alucrid

Banned
I was thinking of picking up one of those blue Vita's from Gamestop Friday. Does anyone know how this would work doing a new activation on the system? Would I HAVE to update to the latest firmware to attach my PSN account, or could I enter it and refuse the update?

I have a massive digital library but I think I read some work arounds to get downloads started by queuing in the browser store and getting the downloads to trigger through a few different methods.
I activated a new vita during this and all I had to do was rebuild the database are after downloading the newest firmware and swapping memory cards.

Damn ;(

This issue is just ridiculous. I can't believe Sony hasn't even acknowledged anything. It's been getting a lot of traction and visibility in several large gaming sites.

That fix I put in place has still been working for me.

I responded back to them last night letting them know that their suggested fix doesn't work...I re-installed the update via my PS3, and am still having the same issue. I can do literally everything except for hop onto the store. I'm going to keep asking them about this, because it's an issue that they need to address. I want a fix, and I don't believe it's unreasonable that they acknowledge the issue and try to repair it themselves, rather than offer what I'm seeing are canned responses from support.

I appreciate that they have been responsive directly about it, but the lack of anything approaching "hey, we know there's an issue and we're working to fix is" is leaving a bad taste in lots of mouths out there.

Also, fun fact: the one time that their updates aren't about stability, it makes things very unstable.

LQX

I haven't updated my Vita in weeks. Is the latest update that is pushed if you do an update the same one causing issues or is it now safe to update as they pulled that update?

theaface

I haven't updated my Vita in weeks. Is the latest update that is pushed if you do an update the same one causing issues or is it now safe to update as they pulled that update?

Don't update. As far as I'm aware, 3.57 is still live and Sony have said nothing publicly about the issues it's caused for a huge proportion of users. Shockingly bad form and customer care. A little acknowledgement and communication would go a long way.

Vashetti

Banned
This explains why my battery was so bad last night when playing FFX.

Make sure you turn off Wi-Fi when booting up FFX. There's a notification when you boot up the game saying network features are disabled (they've done this to use extra processing power).

But the Wi-Fi chip will still be on, just not in use, draining your battery.

Crispy

Same issue here, European Vita-1000. My battery drains faster than a speeding bullet while in stand-by. I was afraid my battery had given up the ghost, so in that sense it's a relief that it's software/firmware related.

I am so on edge.

I haven't had any problems so far. My battery is normal and I was able to easily access the store just now to buy Necrodancer.

But it sounds like everybody but me is having problems, which makes me feel like I'm going to start having problems any second. It's only a matter of time until it gets me too.

Is there anybody else who ISN'T affected? Or who wasn't, and then suddenly was?

Top Bottom