• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita PSN Game & Service Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
The sudden emergence of all these new Japanese games tells me that Vita will have healthy support for the foreseeable future.

These devs have had enough trouble this generation, and Vita gives them an out to continue tapping into their existing assets/engines on the cheap. I think the bloodbath this generation will make them a lot more conservative in terms of next-gen platform support.

I'm hopeful that Vita will find its killer app in 2013, but it won't be Soul Sacrifice.

pso2-1-million.jpg

Skyzard

Banned
The river was 12, and that was pretty bad. But 13 (the cutscene treasure hunt) was worse

I definitely didn't pick up all the treasures on my first try in 12 LOL that would have been miraculous

edit: ahh I misread. The "running" by the river was 11. Yes that was bad too :\

I didn't even realise you could click on things during that cut-scene! I just watched it normally doh

So wait soul sacrifice is a monster hunter type game? That's...disappointing. I thought it was like an action RPG or something.
It looks a lot faster paced than MH, and there are still a ton of gameplay elements we don't know about.

Fingers crossed for a meaty single player experience.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
So wait soul sacrifice is a monster hunter type game? That's...disappointing. I thought it was like an action RPG or something.

It suppose to be more like God Eater (with a real story and characters and actuall good combat system) and not just a mindless grind-fest like MH.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

It is and ARPG. I really hate the "Monster Hunter-Clone" thing since PSO pioneered that style of game. The only thing Monster Hunter did was take the ball of the genre and run with:

-No lock on
-Extreme grinding for items/crafting items
-No lock on
-Small maps for "hunts"
-No lock on

oh , yeah and:

-No lock on

Derrick01

Banned
It looks a lot faster paced than MH, and there are still a ton of gameplay elements we don't know about.

Fingers crossed for a meaty single player experience.

I'll keep an eye on it but I haven't liked a MH type game yet, not even MH itself. My experience in each one is basically really small and flat areas with generic kill or collect quests. They feel like chores to go through.

TheSeks

I'll keep an eye on it but I haven't liked a MH type game yet, not even MH itself. My experience in each one is basically really small and flat areas with generic kill or collect quests. They feel like chores to go through.

PSO games might not be for you, which is okay. Everyone is different. But I feel you should give the Phantasy Star Portable 1 dem--oh, right, that demo won't work on the PSP2. :(

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho

give Gods Eater Burst (PSP, $20) a shot and if it don't work for you too, then just forget about this genre.

Derrick01

Banned
PSO games might not be for you, which is okay. Everyone is different. But I feel you should give the Phantasy Star Portable 1 dem--oh, right, that demo won't work on the PSP2. :(

I remember playing one of those on the gamecube at a friend's house and while I didn't get too into it due to obvious time issues I remember having similar problems. I don't think I can enjoy whatever genre that is. I'll probably end up getting soul sacrifice just to have something new to play on Vita though.

kliklik

Banned
It is and ARPG. I really hate the "Monster Hunter-Clone" thing since PSO pioneered that style of game. The only thing Monster Hunter did was take the ball of the genre and run with:

-No lock on
-Extreme grinding for items/crafting items
-No lock on
-Small maps for "hunts"
-No lock on

oh , yeah and:

-No lock on

That's a complete oversimplification and totally misses the point of MH and what makes it compelling and unique.

It suppose to be more like God Eater (with a real story and characters and actuall good combat system) and not just a mindless grind-fest like MH.

What's up with the MH hate here. Mindless? Have you played an MH game before? It's very strategic.

TheSeks

That's a complete oversimplification and totally misses the point of MH and what makes it compelling and unique.

Okay, let's add:

-Terrible controls (that a right-stick thankfully saves)
-Boring farming
-Boring story (barely any story, actually)

To the list of over simplification.

I simply can not "get" why people like the game. And I say that as a PSO player. Maybe it's just not my cup of tea, but I found it pretty overrated by western players that want to make it popular when it will NEVER be popular in the west with those flaws.

kliklik

Banned
Okay, let's add:

-Boring farming

I simply can not "get" why people like the game. And I say that as a PSO player. Maybe it's just not my cup of tea, but I found it pretty overrated by western players that want to make it popular when it will NEVER be popular in the west with those flaws.

I hate you so so much!

And I don't know what you mean about players wanting to make it popular. I think we just want to have the opportunity to enjoy it by having it come to the west.

hyogen

Neo Member
grrr...any easy way to watch mkv files on Vita?

I've tried using Handbrake with and without the vita plugin...but the program keeps shutting off midway through the long conversion process....like 2-3+ hours depending on file size. :(

Anything easier/reliable?

Files that are made for iTunes (.m4v) work perfect without any conversion. Watched the entire Flight of the Chonchords on the vita :)

Also, i really wish they'd fix the Flickr app--haven't been able to log in since the first update.

anyone? :( I don't need subtitles, btw

Derrick01

Banned
Okay, let's add:

-Boring farming

This and your first list fits what I experienced in one of the PSP games that I unfortunately bought. I could not see what makes Japan and people over here go nuts over it.

Takao

Banned
lbx w has a camera so bad it should be illegal

Once I get Content Manager working I'll post some pictorial evidence of this atrocity against game design.

Skyzard

Banned
I put over 600 hours into Monster Hunter Tri. You guys are scaring me off Soul Sacrifice and PSO2 with your hate.

To be honest, I actually felt the same as Derrick but I only got to play it quite late and solo only - didn't experience it from the ground up or with others.

Soul Sacrifice just looks awesome though, more action which is what I wanted.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
This and your first list fits what I experienced in one of the PSP games that I unfortunately bought. I could not see what makes Japan and people over here go nuts over it.

Same with western and COD.

Japanese gamers also follow what is popular even if it's absolute crap,Dynasty Warriors games were huge, lazy rehashes with nothing new like NSMB2/MK7/Pokemon whatever color it is sells crazy amount of copies.

and MH is one of these games, but when you look at it, it got absolutely no value of quality, horrible grind based on gear, awful environment that make you want to sleep and the combat system is just pure crap.

hopefully the Japanese gamers jump on the next hot thing for them soon and let this series go to obscurity again like when if first got released on PS2 and no one give a damn about it.

Totobeni likes to hate good games and overrated 'okay' games like Folklore

leave Folklore out of this :(

kliklik

Banned
To be honest, I actually felt the same as Derrick but I only got to play it quite late and solo only - didn't experience it from the ground up or with others.

Soul Sacrifice just looks awesome though, more action which is what I wanted.

Not liking it is fine. I get that not every game will appeal to everyone. But some things being said are just gross exaggerations and are kind of insulting to the people who enjoy the games. Like for example...

Japanese gamers also follow what is popular even if it's absolute crap,Dynasty Warriors games were huge, lazy rehashes with nothing new like NSMB2/MK7/Pokemon whatever color it is sells crazy amount of copies.

and MH is one of these games, but when you look at it, it got absolutely no value of quality, horrible grind based on gear, awful environment that make you want to sleep and the combat system is just pure crap.

hopefully the Japanese gamers jump on the next hot thing for them soon and let this series go to obscurity again like when if first got released on PS2 and no one give a damn about it.

Dynasty Warriors is trashy and brainless. Monster Hunter is incredibly deep, esoteric, highly customisable, and strategic. Monster Hunter is nothing like Dynasty Warriors.

Monster Hunter is nuanced and complex in combat – it IS quality. I just... I don't comprehend how you can say there's no value of quality and it's pure crap. As an example of the nuance to combat, with the great sword, hitting the monster with different parts of the blade results in different amounts of damage. To inflict the max amount of damage, you need to position yourself in a place that will allow you to hit the appropriate body part of the monster with the ideal part of the blade. Not only that, but because it takes time for the great sword to charge up, you need to position yourself in a place such that it will be hitting the monster in the right place with the right part of the sword a few seconds AFTER you have positioned yourself. Another example is that bowgun projectiles actually have weight and they have a curved trajectory. You have to ensure you're the proper distance away from the monster with the right type of ammo (with TONS of possibilities to choose from), and this all depends on how you've customised your bowgun and what parts you've used.

I'm not japanese and I'm not just following it because it's popular. I like it on its merits.

Mondriaan

I put over 600 hours into Monster Hunter Tri. You guys are scaring me off Soul Sacrifice and PSO2 with your hate.

I've put over 1400 hours into MH Tri and I would say that while it's a good game, it's still a deeply flawed experience. It boggles the mind that they still carry over those useless, tedious tutorials over from game to game. That cut so much content out of Tri, it's a wonder that they didn't cut those things out too.

cyborg009

Banned
Would you agree that monster hunter has a high difficulty curve? That's a turn off for a lot of me especially in Freedom Unite..

edit: I fucking love those intros tho

kliklik

Banned
The only problem I have with monster hunter is its slow as molasses combat.

That entirely depends on what weapon you choose and armor you wear. Different weapons are more suitable to different playstyles. The greatsword is a slow combat weapon. The switchaxe is quicker. I feel like the lance and the longsword are the fastest and most aggressive combat weapons. Then of course your armor matters because of the skills that you get from it. Some skills allow for a more aggressive playstyle, like giving you dodge bonuses to stay up close with a monster, constantly harassing it.

Also, some monsters are just faster than others and so they make for more fast-paced fights. The barioth is a very fast-paced fight. The gobul and alatreon are slower-paced.

What's beautiful about the game though is it's so customisable, you can make weapons and armor that are suited to the kind of playstyle you want. With a good cooperating group and weapons that suit your playstyle, you can easily take out monsters in 4-10 minutes.

Would you agree that monster hunter has a high difficulty curve? That's a turn off for a lot of me especially in Freedom Unite..

Absolutely. That's why I said it's esoteric. The system is very daunting at first because it's so deep and complex. But it's extremely rewarding to the people who take the plunge. Also, the online community is probably the friendliest I've ever seen in a mp game. They'll help you with anything.

Skyzard

Banned
Not liking it is fine. I get that not every game will appeal to everyone. But some things being said are just gross exaggerations and are kind of insulting to the people who enjoy the games. Like for example...

Believe me, I know ;) Vita Gaf has issues, but the vita isn't it :p

Yes, JSR !

I've put over 1400 hours into MH Tri and I would say that while it's a good game, it's still a deeply flawed experience. It boggles the mind that they still carry over those useless, tedious tutorials over from game to game. That cut so much content out of Tri, it's a wonder that they didn't cut those things out too.

Good god 1400 hours? You spend 1400 hours with anything and you will notice that its deeply flawed.

Hm, I think #3 was the hardest because of its relentless attacks. The previous two I could do at the time of my first visit to the rift plane. #3 obviously I actually had to come back to, but not only that, I actually had to upgrade my health to fight that one. The other ones I did with like level 2 or 3 health.

Was that the one at the bottom of that huge rock? If so i didn't have too much trouble with that one

For the record:
#1 normal little ground critter with huge health in the bottom of the rock on rift plane #1
#2 giant muscle dude who punches you ore AoE attacks you depending on distance and takes 1/3 or more of your life if he hits with the punch in the bottom of rift plane #2 (lava)
#3 flying bastard in the #3 rift plane that shoots at you relentlessly 90% of the time (space/mushroom rift plane)

I could see needing upgraded health for 2 or 3, but 3 was easy to fly back and get full health on by standing next to a flower. Not sure that works in the 2nd's case. I'd leave to go get health, but not find any.

Mondriaan

Monster Hunter is nuanced and complex in combat – it IS quality. I just... I don't comprehend how you can say there's no value of quality and it's pure crap. As an example of the nuance to combat, with the great sword, hitting the monster with different parts of the blade results in different amounts of damage.
As far as I know, the great sword also has two different parts of the blade as far as damage is concerned. There's close enough for optimal damage, and not close enough for optimal damage. There are different attacks that do different amounts of damage, but this range thing you're mentioning as nuance isn't a good example of that.

About the only thing that might be considered "nuance" is the fact that the game generally does a terrible job in letting players know what's going on and whether anything is having any significant effect on the boss. Feedback from the game will be more along the lines of "well, that quest normally takes 5 minutes, and it looks like we saved thirty seconds on it". But, really, this is obtuse, not nuanced.

kliklik

Banned
PSY・S;45605856 said:
Okay the level design in MBA from 11 on is brilliant, holy crap. Now I know why Carl is always gushing over it.

It really is. I so underestimated that game when I played the demo of the first one. I adored the tricky platforming to get onto the clouds in that one level near the end.

I could see needing upgraded health for 2 or 3, but 3 was easy to fly back and get full health on by standing next to a flower. Not sure that works in the 2nd's case. I'd leave to go get health, but not find any.

It was easier to grab health in #3. You could backtrack for health in #2 (like REALLY backtrack - first to the bridge, and when that's depleted, then back through the tunnels) but ya it wasn't as convenient. The key difference though is that #3 let loose a barrage of attacks, and getting hit will stop you mid-flight. Also, you can get disoriented because you're zooming around mid-air and doing gravity kicks and not see right away which way is back to the planets with health. That means you can sometimes get caught by a barrage of projectiles and will take your health down quick.

I had to upgrade my health a bit more so that i could get some kicks in and retreat and still stay alive. I think I upgraded to level 7 for the fight.

It really is. I so underestimated that game when I played the demo of the first one. I adored the tricky platforming to get onto the clouds in that one level near the end.

It was easier to grab health in #3. You could backtrack for health in #2 (like REALLY backtrack - first to the bridge, and when that's depleted, then back through the tunnels) but ya it wasn't as convenient. The key difference though is that #3 let loose a barrage of attacks, and getting hit will stop you mid-flight. Also, you can get disoriented because you're zooming around mid-air and doing gravity kicks and not see right away which way is back to the planets with health. That means you can sometimes get caught by a barrage of projectiles and will take your health down quick.

I had to upgrade my health a bit more so that i could get some kicks in and retreat and still stay alive. I think I upgraded to level 7 for the fight.

True.

#2 is the one that killed me the most.
#1 killed me once because I under-estimated his health and how strong he was until it was too late.
#3 killed me once until I realized that the green pieces of health near the active flowers respawned if you stood around

Breast in her size? I will gladly take even if its at 15fps. Hell I will take slideshow too.

Hahaha... Me too. :3

OmegaZero said:
I've said it before, but Ninja Gaiden at 30fs is still the best action game on the Vita. ;)

I think it wins by default, doesn't it? There's no DMC or God of War or Bayonetta on the system. :)

kliklik

Banned
About the only thing that might be considered "nuance" is the fact that the game generally does a terrible job in letting players know what's going on and whether anything is having any significant effect on the boss. Feedback from the game will be more along the lines of "well, that quest normally takes 5 minutes, and it looks like we saved thirty seconds on it". But, really, this is obtuse, not nuanced.

What? You played the game a lot. Surely you're aware of how monsters react, like salivating, slipping on ice, limping, etc., and the destruction of their body parts. That is the realistic and nuanced feedback you get on whether your attacks are having an impact, rather than an abstract plain big ole health bar slowly chipping down. If the game really had no feedback during fights, then it wouldn't be possible for hunters to consistently capture monsters instead of kill. From all my experience, everyone had an extremely good idea of when to cap and I cap'd monsters nearly 100% of the time.

True.

#2 is the one that killed me the most.
#1 killed me once because I under-estimated his health and how strong he was until it was too late.
#3 killed me once until I realized that the green pieces of health near the active flowers respawned if you stood around

#2 was a pushover when i realised you could hit him and then retreat like a coward to the pipe entrance to his area and just sit there till you were ready for your next attack. He couldn't hit you from there, and you don't need to use your gauge to stay there. He barely hit me when I figured that out.

#3 killed me a bunch of times because I was curmudgeonly with my gems and didn't want to put any into health at first. I went in there with an itty bitty health bar =P

#1 looked so tiny that I totally underestimated him as well haha. He killed me a few times too. My eyes went so wide when I saw all the gems he dropped.

So after spending some time with my Vita, heres some thoughts I have.

General:
-The menu has to be one of my favorites of all time. All they need is folders and sell dynamic themes like they do on PS3.
-Hey! Its Miiverse! Only with your friends but still. Quite cool.
-The analog sticks are too small. I was fine playing Gravity Rush with them but CoD was very hard to control to me.
-Also my analog sticks feel loose with one being looser than the other. I guess its alright?
-Screen in beautiful. Best screen for any game system ever besides the WiiU off tv play. (And thats only because of the more powerful WiiU since its a HD home console. The WiiU screen itself is worse I think.)
-D-Pad and face buttons are awesome.
-L and R took abit of getting used to, but I think they are good.
-My screen has liquids from my hands :(
-So a game downloads, then installs, then you you click it, it installs again? Eh...
-Max screen brightness isn't bright enough to me.
-Happy with audio levels.
-Notifications, Store designs are very nice.
-Cool multitasking functiona. Can take a picture while ingame and then tweet it immediatly.

Gravity Rush - Beat Episode 4
-Is fun as hell. I am hooked and so happy I bought a Vita now finally.
-Awesome graphics.
-Awesome soundtrack.
-Awesome gameplay.
-Its just Awesome ok?

Mutant Blobs - Beat world 1-2
-Very fun.
-Your basically bacteria with giant humans in the background. Whats not to like?

CoD
-Played one multiplayer team deathmatch.
-Why was everyone down on this game again? Because eight players? lol. Besides getting used to the small analog sticks it rocked.
-The timer for the game seemed too long considering how small the games are tho...

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Might as well ask here:

US$ 250 for Vita Wi-Fi with 2 games (Fifa 13 and Gravity Rush) and a 8 GB memory card.

Good value or not? I am this close in buying a Vita but I want to hear your opinion, GAF.

zroid

Banned
It's redundant to append everything you say with "in my opinion." It's sort of implied.

it is generally implied, but words such as that can greatly affect the tone conveyed in one's post.

Might as well ask here:

US$ 250 for Vita Wi-Fi with 2 games (Fifa 13 and Gravity Rush) and a 8 GB memory card.

Good value or not? I am this close in buying a Vita but I want to hear your opinion, GAF.

it's not that bad, but given the crazy deals of late it's a bit hard to recommend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom