• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita sells (not ship) 1.2M Worldwide as of Feb 26, exceeds expectations, Software 2+M

Yjynx

well considering all of the DOOOM and GLOOOOOM thread - Vita have done really well. Come on let's us be honest, most of you guys expecting 200-300K sales for each region outside japan combine.

Vita am doomed... oh wait.

Actually, though I was already inclined to believe that this platform was doomed before launch, these numbers only strengthen that belief as the tailing off of sales will mean quite pathetic numbers for the foreseeable future. Sony has to have something to counter the downturn.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Doesn't seem particularly spectacular for such a major platform launch, but I need some sense of scale. Let's get the graphs in here and see how this compares to other handheld launches.

I suppose it depends on whether these numbers are sold or shipped.

If sold, it's pretty similar to 3DS's western launches (440k in the US week one, 300k in Europe on its first weekend = ~740k vs ~600k for Vita?). 3DS was Nintendo's largest handheld launch in the US, at least.

Uh, I'm pretty sure 600K for both Europe and US combined is not particularly impressive.

Might just be me, though!

Thats what I thought. But then seeing all the good reactions here I thought I was missing something. But maybe this time they are talking about sold and not shipped. You never know with sony.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
If that is shipped numbers in the PR than it will be

700/800k- Japan
500/400k - West

It's more or less 550k in JP, not sure for the Asian version.

hirokazu

Including Asia, that seems a bit lukewarm...

We'll only see a better picture of how it's doing whenever the next set of numbers are out - it did alright in the launch week in Japan as well despite being outsold by 3DS but it was downhill from there.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Perspective!

While we never got official sales numbers, the 3DS did slightly under 400k in it's first week, with Nintendo calling it a day one record-breaking sales event. (It launched March 27th).

And here's the rest by JVM:

The original Nintendo DS launched with sales of around 480,000 units during the week of 21 – 27 November 2004. During same month (over four full weeks), Nintendo's previous handheld, the Game Boy Advance, sold well over a million units. It sold fewer than 400,000 units of software giving it a first-week attach rate of less than 1.0.

The next system to launch was Sony's PlayStation Portable, arriving on 24 March 2005, with 620,000 units in 10 days according to NPD Group data reported at the time. Reports also stated that 1.1 million units of PSP software were sold, giving the system a launch-window attach rate of approximately 1.8. In that same month the Nintendo DS sold fewer than 150,000 units and had sold fewer than 500,000 units during the first three months of the year.

From that time until the launch of the Nintendo 3DS, the only handhelds to be released have been revisions of either the Nintendo DS or Sony PSP. We are in no position to discuss the PSP, since we have no data on how, say, the PSP-2000 sold in its original week. Even so, the revisions to the PSP, with the exception of the PSP Go, have been very modest upgrades to the existing hardware. And the lowly PSP Go appears to have sold so poorly at retail that it would serve little purpose to include it here.

The three revisions of the Nintendo DS are worth considering. The launch of the Nintendo DS Lite in June 2006 is the beginning of the system's truly amazing sales trajectory. Even so, in its first week it managed only 226,000 units, according to Nintendo. As we noted at the time, the DSi launched in March 2009 with 58,000 units at its midnight launch and 435,000 systems during its first week. The larger DSi XL sold a more modest 141,000 units during its first week.

Assuming NA sales of 300-400k, it sold good, slightly under the 3DS number perhaps and certainly below the PSP/original DS sales. Nothing recordbreaking, and it needs to maintain solid numbers month to month unlike the 3DS, but a good start.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Can't believe they included the Japan figures. How misleading.

I hope it does well--it's a fantastic handheld. My favorite piece of hardware out there right now.

Totalriot

Sounds like Sony is not too happy with these numbers. Or why else would they include Japanes sales and not just give launch numbers for US and EU?

Sounds like Sony is not too happy with these numbers. Or why else would they include Japanes sales and not just give launch numbers for US and EU?

Why not give the biggest number possible at all times? It puts them over the 1 mil mark to include Japan.

A.KU.MU

Banned
Actually, though I was already inclined to believe that this platform was doomed before launch, these numbers only strengthen that belief as the tailing off of sales will mean quite pathetic numbers for the foreseeable future. Sony has to have something to counter the downturn.

Irony. You need to learn how to spot it...

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward

I think if there's any figure Sony's not happy with, it's the Japanese one - since they waited until the other launches to say anything about sales at all. They didn't make any announcement about Japanese sales. It's not like they're really hiding anything here anyway - anyone can figure out the US/EU figure from this.

If these numbers are sold-through I think they ought to be happy with the US/EU numbers so far, at least.

Considering it launched for about 2 month in Japan, I don't see anything spectacular. But let's hope it get solid numbers for next weeks, and not huge drop.

Wouldn't the shipped number be alot higher if it was just that? I mean, Would they really just ship 1,2 worldwide? That makes no sense.

udivision

It's hard to read the sarcasm here when it's not clear if the number is good or not. I don't think we expected it to outdo the first week sales of Handheld land though.

I think a lot of people are just happy that it didn't completely bomb given all the negative press --- hence the positive reactions.

Perhaps, but the reality could hit hard when next months numbers are released.

Historically, I think I'm right in saying most console launches are very front loaded.

DCharlie

Banned
needs to be sustained , the fall off in the next weeks will be the sign of where this thing is going short term wise.

Cheebo

Banned
Why would they include Japanese and Hong Kong sales? So about 600k for Europe and America. So about 300k sold at launch in America? That sounds kinda average.

Why wouldn't Sony just announce how much it sold in Europe and America alone?

Would make things alot easier.

Unless sales were below expectations.

Top Bottom