• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita sells (not ship) 1.2M Worldwide as of Feb 26, exceeds expectations, Software 2+M

Takuya

Banned
Can't believe they included the Japan figures. How misleading.

I hope it does well--it's a fantastic handheld. My favorite piece of hardware out there right now.

Why wouldn't Sony just announce how much it sold in Europe and America alone?

Would make things alot easier.

Unless sales were below expectations.

Why can't you believe they'd add the Asian numbers? The worldwide number broke the 1 million milestone, so that's something to also bring up. Anyone can easily make out region specific sales with the data they provided.

Pretty simple to see why they'd make a press release for breaking the 1 million milestone.

Perspective!

While we never got official sales numbers, the 3DS did slightly under 400k in it's first week, with Nintendo calling it a day one record-breaking sales event. (It launched March 27th).

Assuming NA sales of 300-400k, it sold good, slightly under the 3DS number perhaps and certainly below the PSP/original DS sales. Nothing recordbreaking, and it needs to maintain solid numbers month to month unlike the 3DS, but a good start.

A90eI.gif

AWW YEAH! GO VITA GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Indeed, some 650k across all of Europe and the US? I must be missing something.

The last $250 handheld saw ~750k sales in its first week or so in the US and Europe. If Sony actually sold-through ~650k in 4 days...well...what were you expecting?

Whatever about what's to come, if these numbers represent sell-through, they're fine for launch.

Perhaps, but the reality could hit hard when next months numbers are released.

Historically, I think I'm right in saying most console launches are very front loaded.
Yeah, that's even clearly evident with the Vita in Japan so far. I'm hoping this thing can keep some.. umm.. "momentum" going forward but I definitely have my doubts.

That said the Vita launch has been the most impressive launch of any system that I've ever been a part of. I can't get enough of it and the launch lineup just keeps giving.

StuBurns

Banned
Respectable I think. I never bought the doom and gloom. It'll take a year to really know the platform's future viability, right now, decent.

monome

Bad?

but 3DS recently passed 5M worldwide after a year, a price cut and two Marios.

Since Sony loses loney on VITA, the only thing I hope is thos numbers are good enough for publishers to start pouring games for it.

VITA has one advantage, it is a hardcore device, and as such devs should know they already have the potential to sell around a million units if they make the best possible hardcore game.

What VITA needs now is it's Monster Hunter, preferably on a worlwide stage.
Curious to see if a studio will come up with the BIG IDEA.

As what happened with XBOX(360), VITA needs its HALO/Gears of War, with a nicely tailored gameplay, pushing the enveloppe graphics and a strong MP (local too) and the success will then be followed by copycats and drive innovation.

Grinchy

Banned
I don't know if this number is good nor do I care, but why are people curious about why Japan is included? It says worldwide sales right? Is Japan not part of the world now?

Not good, especially if shipped.

And why include Asia? Just so they can report a million?

We rely on Sony to get EU and US launch numbers, but it seems they are not willing to share specific data. :(

Oni Jazar

Vita has some good games/features coming in the near horizon: Gravity Daze, MLB, LBP, PS1 support, Remote Play support.....

Why can't you believe they'd add the Asian numbers? The worldwide number broke the 1 million milestone, so that's something to also bring up. Anyone can easily make out region specific sales with the data they provided.
Never miss an opportunity to shit on Sony regardless how trivial. Or you may not seem cool ....and stuff.

The last $250 handheld saw ~750k sales in its first week or so in the US and Europe. If Sony actually sold-through ~650k in 4 days...well...what were you expecting?

Whatever about what's to come, if these numbers represent sell-through, they're fine for launch.

You realize that handheld got an USD 80 pricecut less than half a year into it's life?

BadWolf

Its solid I think, 3DS may have done better but it didn't launch along side a much lower priced competitor that had almost a year to gain steam.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
LOL at including Japan and the rest of Asia.

Newly launched in North and Latin America, Europe and PAL territories as well as in Singapore on February 22, 2012.

That could be 500-600k for all those territories. That's not very good....

Given no sales trackers are sourced, the only safe bet here is really shipments.

MCV seems to think sold...the software number ought to be 'sold sold' at least, since there wouldn't be a concept of 'shipped' on PSN.
Not necessarily. For example, with GT franchise sales Polyphony Digital simply adds retail shipments to actual PSN sales to arrive at total disclosed "sales".

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
You realize that handheld got an USD 80 pricecut less than half a year into it's life?

Sure, but it was considered a good launch. Nintendo's best day one for a handheld in the US, even, IIRC.

Like I say, 'whatever about what's to come'...for launch, that kind of figure would be fine.

If it's a shipped figure, that's another story.

I don't know if this number is good nor do I care, but why are people curious about why Japan is included? It says worldwide sales right? Is Japan not part of the world now?

Well, because post-platform launch PR usually calls out specific numbers for the new launch territories and not just focus on the worldwide number which obviously shields the new sales from exact number crunching.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Bad?

Since Sony loses loney on VITA, the only thing I hope is thos numbers are good enough for publishers to start pouring games for it.

VITA has one advantage, it is a hardcore device, and as such devs should know they already have the potential to sell around a million units if they make the best possible hardcore game.

As what happened with XBOX(360), VITA needs its HALO/Gears of War, with a nicely tailored gameplay, pushing the enveloppe graphics and a strong MP (local too) and the success will then be followed by copycats and drive innovation.
no they dont.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-01-20-is-the-playstation-vita-worth-230

botty

Banned
Bad?

Wow, just wow.

Bad?

Man people really just don't read things at all do they, 5 million was for Japan only worldwide was over 12 milllion for the first year (maybe 14 million i don't remember exactyl)

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Strong start for a fantastic system. Now, how big will the drop be? Sony needs to refresh the shelves or the numbers will absolutely drop significantly.

PerZona

That's a good and healthy number alright. Despite all the hate and gloom on this machine, with numerous PS Vita and Smartphones comparison articles.

Now we just need more games!!! Will be patiently waiting for Monster Hunter Vita...

Chorazin

Bad?

I'm not sure they are losing money on each Vita, can you provide a source?

TxdoHawk

I hate to side with the doom and gloom crowd, because I want the Vita to succeed...but I expect these numbers to pretty rapidly go off a cliff. Hoping Sony and third party devs are working overtime on software, because the consensus from my early adopter friends who picked Vitas up is largely "Yeah, I barely know what to look forward to next software-wise."

Hopefully one of the big 2012 titles (CoD? That Assassin's Creed game?) really just knocks it out of the park and Sony has a good holiday season as a result. Then hopefully 2013 brings a flood of software.

Including LTD Japan numbers is a little LOL worthy but they had to have the PR only once they had a figure of over 1 million.

IMO, the numbers are good if we compare it to expectations a little before launch, i.e. the system is doa. If we compare the launch numbers to, say, what the ipad 3 numbers are gonna be a month from now, then those numbers are pathetic.

As others have said though, the main issue is how can they sustain sales? What will the numbers look like in May/June? They were unable to keep any kind of momentum in Japan and the PSV is now selling horrible over there. Let's hope their first few months' fate in the west is different

Erethian

Uh, I'm pretty sure 600K for both Europe and US combined is not particularly impressive.

Might just be me, though!

It'd mean weaker launches in the US and Europe than what the system did in Japan.

Though obviously the most telling sales, like the Japanese launch, will be how it does in the weeks post launch.

Sure, but it was considered a good launch. Nintendo's best day one for a handheld in the US, even, IIRC.

Like I say, 'whatever about what's to come'...for launch, that kind of figure would be fine.

If it's a shipped figure, that's another story.

There isn't exactly a proliferation of reports saying retailers are overstocked. I also expect the attach rate to be very high.

Top Bottom