• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vitamags Final issue - 100 Best Vita games

ryseing

Was thinking Killzone would be robbed, and was pleasantly surprised to see it at number 1.

It really is one of the best shooters of the past ~7 years on any platform. Level design is A+ with the exception of the final boss, and I loved the various play style challenges. Post release support was top notch as well. Botzone for $2 or whatever, combined with the free maps, was such a bargain.

Cambridge should have been assigned to the mainline games instead of niche platforms since doing so led to their closure. RIGS is one of the better high budget VR experiences out there.

Lists are fun because you can debate them forever. Speaking of, this list has a lot of great titles on it, but its missing the following:

-Shovel Knight
-Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3
-Mortal Kombat
-Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax

There may be others its missing as well, but all 4 of those are pretty glaring omissions.

Speaking of UE fighting games, no Injustice is a damned shame as well.

From a brief read of the list, I'm kind of delighted to see Guacamelee so high. I had a hell of a time with it, it might actually work better without all the additional content the PS4 version has.

Reset

The list makes the Vita library seem pretty bad. When you have games like Neptunia, Demon Gaze, Danganronpa Despair Girls,etc. on a best games list then ehhhh, it seems you're really reaching.

finalhour

I don't know if I agree with the whole list, but I love the layouts. This was great way to take a trip down Vita memory lane, and also a reminder of how many great games I still have left to play on the vita.

Zambatoh

Of all Neptunia games they could've picked, they picked Action U? Pfthahahahaha~

2c9.jpg

Brenal

The vita ended up being the console to play small downloadable titles on the go and there is nothing wrong with that many people seem to like it, but unfotunatetly that is not a market a console can thrive on, its a shame more competition in the handheld space is always good.

joe2187

Banned
The list makes the Vita library seem pretty bad. When you have games like Neptunia, Demon Gaze, Danganronpa Despair Girls,etc. on a best games list then ehhhh, it seems you're really reaching.

Demon Gaze is a great damn game.

One of the best Dungeon Crawlers on the Vita by far.

Novocaine

I have played the overwhelming majority of those games (and on Vita). It really does have some great games.

Velocity 2X is way too low on that list also.

Kovacs

When you realise that nearly a quarter of these were around the launch window/first year you can only draw 2 conclusions.

What an incredibly strong launch lineup the Vita had.
Even though it ended up with one of the greatest indie libraries ever, just imagine how great it could have been if Sony and 3rd parties had kept up that initial support throughout its life.

Edit: Plus Rayman Origins and Legends are the wrong way round here and both far too low.

Trace

Banned
When you realise that nearly a quarter of these were around the launch window/first year you can only draw 2 conclusions.

Even though it ended up with one of the greatest indie libraries ever, just imagine how great it could have been if Sony and 3rd parties had kept up that initial support throughout its life.

That only would have happened had people actually bought it. It's pretty obvious the west wasn't interested, for reasons unknown to me.

Moofers

Speaking of UE fighting games, no Injustice is a damned shame as well.
Oh shit, I forgot about Injustice! That's another good one they forgot. I guess they're not big fighting game fans over there?

Seriously, those 5 games missing from the list is really odd.

Jimrpg

There's a lot of great games on the Vita, but definitely not 100 of them.

Good thing opinions can be wrong.

Grand Kingdom is the best Vita game of 2016, it is a crime it isn't higher on the list.

Gotta say Grand Kingdom is a pretty game but lacks a lot of substance.

No word of a lie, I was asked to contribute to this as guest writer and my top 10 and the actual top 10 weren't actually that far apart.

But I was just one of many, many people they asked so... yeah. Go me.

Anyway, great read as always (I actually hadn't seen it until now). I'm hoping Paul will come back and do a special one-off next year, because I am 99% certain multiple games releasing this year would make it in the top 100 (DanganRonpa V3; Tokyo Xanadu; Ys VIII etc.)

Funny, was going to say looks a lot like your top 50.

Lumines
at 50?!?! Bruh, that's easily a top 10 Vita game. It was the system seller next to Uncharted at the time and the best in the series.

Jimrpg

There is no way akibas trip (74) is better than dungeon travelers 2 (75).

I mean akibas trip is straight up garbage while DT2 is one of the most polished DRPGs on the vita.

18-Volt

Ok list. Some missing games should be there and some games there shouldn't.

Some important absent stuff:
Ninja Gaiden Sigma
Deception 4
UMvC3
Oreshika Tainted Bloodlines
Sly 4
Oddworld New & Tasty
Ratchet Collection
Samurai Warriors 4
SFxTekken (amazing port)
Mortal Kombat
Dead or Alive 5+
Shiren the Wanderer (absence of this is a crime)
Dariusburst CS (this was even on my top 20 PSP games list)

Nheco

Darkest Dungeon should be @ #1.

Also, I had no ideia that freedom wars is so good. Do you guys recomend it? I have it, but I never played.

Jimrpg

Ninja Gaiden Sigma
Deception 4
UMvC3
Sly 4
Oddworld New & Tasty
Ratchet Collection
Samurai Warriors 4
SFxTekken (amazing port)
Mortal Kombat
Dead or Alive 5+

Second this.

autoduelist

I'm at over 200 Vita games, we're really stretching what we call "great" if there's 100 of them from the Vita.

And i own just under 250, and another 200 on top of that if we include ps1 and psp. How does that matter? Looking at that list, I'd remove some but add some. My favorite vita game isn't even on the list. I disliked p4g but obviously most love it. It's a fantastic device with a great library. Not everybody has the same tastes, obviously but the fact that there are more than a few games they didn't even list that I'd put pretty high up says quite a bit.

Jimrpg

Edit: Plus Rayman Origins and Legends are the wrong way round here and both far too low.

Honestly this is such a false narrative. Yes Sony stopped supporting it which led to the mainstream media jumping off the bandwagon. But it allowed a lot of other mid tier publishers to publish great games and flourish. Most vita owners have many of the titles on this list. The software to hardware attach rate is no lie and one of the reasons games are still coming out for it, otherwise it'd be dead in the water like the wii U.

Moofers

Ninja Gaiden Sigma
Deception 4
UMvC3
Sly 4
Oddworld New & Tasty
Ratchet Collection
Samurai Warriors 4
SFxTekken (amazing port)
Mortal Kombat
Dead or Alive 5+

Yup yup. I knew I was forgetting some. Like I said before, Add Shovel Knight and Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax as well.

Deception and DOA5+ are both great ports, though its a shame DOA never got the Last Round update with the expanded stages and character roster. Whats there is an amazing port but its also the weakest stuff in terms of stages, music, and costumes. It'd be so cool if it had Last Round but oh well.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Im not gonna sit here arguing the order of games but Trails of Cold Steel is completely missing?

I know the sequels there but thats a sequel.

Aizo

Banned
Killzone is that good? I got it through JP PS+ and never played it.

Lumines
at 50?!?! Bruh, that's easily a top 10 Vita game. It was the system seller next to Uncharted at the time and the best in the series.
Seriously. That game is really fantastic.

Tracygill

That they put
Need for Speed Most Wanted that high despite the steering delay / input lag
seems crazy to me.

Top Bottom