• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vitamags Final issue - 100 Best Vita games

Looking at that list I didn't really like any game in their top 20 outside of hot shots golf.

The bottom half is a lot stronger than the top half, imo.

Counted them up, there are 14 games on the list I don't own. Not bad.

Grand Kingdom
X-Com Enemy Unknown Plus
World of Final Fantasy
God Eater Resurrection
God Eater 2
Akibas Trip
Minecraft
Crypt of the Necrodancer
Yomawari
Darkest Dungeon
Volume
Risk of Rain
Stranger of Sword City
Dragon Quest Builders

LordKano

The top five is exactly my problem with the Vita : I already played three of them, and I don't own a Vita. The first is a shooter of an IP that's more suited to home consoles. Freedom Wars looks kinda cool tho.

With the recent arrival of japanese games on Steam, I feel like I don't need to buy a Vita anymore. I was initially going to buy one for Danganronpa 1&2 before they were ported, and now even V3 and Ultra Despair Girls are coming to Steam, day and date for V3.

If you played p4 original. Youll definitely enjoy golden. It is the gold standards for any type of remastering.

P4 is one of my all time favorite rpgs.

I believe it ranked 4th in the "favorite rpg" poll I did a couple of years ago.

It's damn good. P5 is making me want to replay it too. This might be the best way.

Edit: it ranked 3rd in that poll. I had it 8th on my list.

aadiboy

The top five is exactly my problem with the Vita : I already played three of them, and I don't own a Vita. The first is a shooter of an IP that's more suited to home consoles. Freedom Wars looks kinda cool tho.
Only two of those games are playable on consoles other than Vita though. And if you don't care about playing games on PC, then the Vita is perfect for a niche Japanese library.

Griss

If that's your best 100 games then you had one hell of a weak library. There's nothing there that will ever trouble any 'greatest games of all time' lists. When something irredeemably bad like Zero Time Dilemma is making the list you have problems.

My fav Vita games so you can get a sense of where I'm coming from:
1. Everybody's Golf
2. Lumines: Electronic Symphony
3. Wipeout 2048
4. Gravity Rush
5. Rayman Origins
6. Uncharted Golden Abyss
7. Killzone Mercenary

cafemomo

Personally my top ten would be

Final Fantasy X/X-2HD
Gravity Rush
Xonic
IA/VT
Taiko V
The idolm@ster: Must Songs
Killzone
Wipeout
VLR
Persona 4 Golden

my top 10

10. Guacamelee
9. Zero Escape: Virtue´s Last Reward
8. Shovel Knight
7. Dragon´s Crown
6. Persona 4 Golden
5. Axiom Verge
4. Hotline Miami
3. Velocity
2. Bastion
1. Rogue Legacy

With the recent arrival of japanese games on Steam, I feel like I don't need to buy a Vita anymore. I was initially going to buy one for Danganronpa 1&2 before they were ported, and now even V3 and Ultra Despair Girls are coming to Steam, day and date for V3.

I don't really see what that has to do with anything. Vita's games going elsewhere is a result of its hardware sales, and those hardware sales happened in spite of the game's it's getting.

By the end of 2014 Vita had a price cut; a remodel and all of the top 5 from this list had released for it (and were exclusive to it) - heck, 8 out of the top 10 had released for it. There were no signs these games were going anywhere else.

Yet, despite you being interested in these games, that wasn't enough to make you buy the handheld for them. I bet you're not alone in that one either. And if the handheld couldn't draw in a niche game buyer like you despite having tonnes of amazing games at that point, most of which were exclusive for it, then it never had a chance.

Why people just weren't buying it despite wanting the games, I have no idea about. You're better off answering that question.

But it led to the situation we're in now where the console is loved by the niche who actually bought it (because who gives a damn where else you can play the games as long as they're on Vita?) but noone else wants it because lol I can play all that stuff elsewhere.

To be fair, if you like Japanese third party games I don't know why you'd go anywhere other than Steam these days. You might have to wait a bit, but it's amalgamating an ever-impressive library that's only going to get better.

Whoa whoa, hold up. Persona 4: Dancing All Night ranked higher than Superbeat Xonic while DJ Max Technika Tune didn't even rank at all? What a bunch of rubbish.

cyba89

Killzone is a good game and pretty impressive on a technical level but if this is the absolute best the system can offer in its 5 year lifetime you can see why it probably failed.

List would also be very small if you exclude multiplatform games.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Neptunia U shouldn't be anywhere near a list of the top Vita games, no matter how long said list is.

And this is coming from someone who finished it, by the way. And did a sizable amount of the post-game content as well.

No, I don't know why either.

joe2187

Banned
Killzone is a good game and pretty impressive on a technical level but if this is the absolute best the system can offer in its 5 year lifetime you can see why it probably failed.

Why would you exclude multiplatform games? These are the best games on vita not vita exclusives that never got ported to another system.

I almost have them all and could add about 100 other fun games which aren't listed.

This top 100 is quite weak; Vita is much better than this.

antibolo

Banned
The Vita Lounge's top X lists have always been pretty weak, and this is no exception.

Also lol I wonder if Project Diva F 2nd being at 39th place was a deliberate move, or just a coincidence??

redcrayon

Can't believe Uncharted: Golden Abyss reached as high as 17. Awful tech demo for the rear touch panel and shitty boss fight QTEs.

redcrayon

To be fair, a list of great PS4 games would also be fairly small if you exclude multiplatform games and those also available on PS3/PSV, thats the nature of modern consoles relying on smaller developers that need to sell games across as many platforms as possible to fill out the release schedule as dev times get longer.

Agree that the Vita didn't have a huge amount of really heavy-hitting system sellers though, which is the difference between Sony's support of the PS4 compared to the PSV, and then compared again to Nintendo that consistently put major titles on the 3DS. There are loads of great Vita games but they are largely of niche appeal, available elsewhere earlier or at least didn't capture the imagination of enough people. Even in Japan, I think you've basically got Minecraft then P4G and then a sizeable drop off in terms of sales shortly afterwards.

Having said that, the Vita has been my favourite place to play games for the last five years ago. It might not have set the world on fire but it introduced me to loads of stuff I wouldn't have played otherwise, like Ys, Persona, Trails and loads of indie titles.

VanWinkle

Where. Is. PIX THE CAT?!

List invalidated.

Oh, also, Hustle Kings. One of the best pool games.

A bunch more that aren't listed, too. Sad.

swit

First place well deserved. Killzone Mercenary is amazing. Easily the best portable/mobile FPS to date.

Tigress

I have little qualms with this list. Of course it helps almost all my games I have are on it. I would have switched persona and killzone but I think it's fair where they have them (especially as killzone was a true exclusive and showed exactly the promise Sony originally gave for the vita. It's the potential the vita otherwise never reached :( ). I even like that borderlands 2 is on the list as personally I loved it on my vita. I just wish they put at least the dlc that lets you level more on it ( the one people keep talking about as almost essential to the game).

I think toukidon 2 belongs on there but I realize it is too new to get on that list.

Wichu

No Steins;Gate 0? That's surprising considering how high Steins;Gate is on the list.

Virtue's Last Reward is too far down, but I guess that's more a matter of taste.

Tigress

Having said that, the Vita has been my favourite place to play games for the last five years ago. It might not have set the world on fire but it introduced me to loads of stuff I wouldn't have played otherwise, like Ys, Persona, Trails and loads of indie titles.

I agree with the rest of what you say and I really have to agree here. I would never have heard of persona or ys without vita (and I'm sad I can't play persona 5 on it). And it really is my favorite place to play games. Inevitably if a game comes out that has a vita port I buy the port over the ps4 version. Even when the port gets panned for not being as good (attack on Titan which I fully enjoy on the vita). I just much prefer jrpgs and monster hunter type games on it. I can't think of a game I wouldn't have just bought on vita instead if it had a vita version. At best I'd buy both (cause any game I like I'd love a portable version on vita). I may even have more games on my vita than my ps4. And I've never had a handheld that I wanted so many games on (never found anything I really wanted other than Pokemon on my gameboy and game gear had one game (to be fair that one was bought for me and I was at the whim of what my parents bought and couldn't really go out shopping much on my own but never really saw much games to really beg to buy for it).

I'm sad it's dieing but since I doubt Sony will make another portable I'm hoping the switch takes off and also gets third party support cause it looks like it has similar promise of the vita (maybe more so since it is supposed to be a full console).

Obvious caveat that lists are subjective, most of the games on the list are good and deserve a spot on it somewhere, would've been better if it was unranked/unnumbered, etc., etc., etc. Anyways:

No DJ Max Technika wtf?

In general, wtf rhythm game selection?

N/A - DJ MAX Technika Tune
N/A - Project Diva f
N/A - IA/VT (I mean fine there was no Western release and also Taiko would have to be on here if we're opening the Japanese import floodgates but COME ON)
49 - Superbeat Xonic
39 - Project Diva f 2nd
35 - Persona 4: Dancing All Night

For a platform that's had so many great rhythm games, it's a crime that Dancing All Night, of all things, should be chosen as the pinnacle of the genre. No amount of Shoji Meguro and fake Rise can fix bad charting.

The #1 pick is a little bit weird but it's hard to say it's not deserving, especially since #2 is technically a super-sized port. Part of the reason I don't like ranked lists is because I feel both are so different and they succeed equally well at what they're trying to do, but they can't both be #1.

Wichu

Steins;Gate 0 released I think less than a week before I submitted my list.

Ah, I wasn't sure when you put the list together. That makes sense.

Also it might be too late to do anything about it, but I noticed that Zero Time Dilemma has Virtue's Last Reward's boxart.

Lucumo

No Phantasy Star games? Also, Danganronpa this high? I only played the PSP version and that one was ok'ish.

The bottom half is a lot stronger than the top half, imo.

Counted them up, there are 14 games on the list I don't own. Not bad.

Grand Kingdom
X-Com Enemy Unknown Plus
World of Final Fantasy
God Eater Resurrection
God Eater 2
Akibas Trip
Minecraft
Crypt of the Necrodancer
Yomawari
Darkest Dungeon
Volume
Risk of Rain
Stranger of Sword City
Dragon Quest Builders

Risk of rain is a favorit here pick it up:)

Jimrpg

Obvious caveat that lists are subjective, most of the games on the list are good and deserve a spot on it somewhere, would've been better if it was unranked/unnumbered, etc., etc., etc. Anyways:

In general, wtf rhythm game selection?

N/A - DJ MAX Technika Tune
N/A - Project Diva f
N/A - IA/VT (I mean fine there was no Western release and also Taiko would have to be on here if we're opening the Japanese import floodgates but COME ON)
49 - Superbeat Xonic
39 - Project Diva f 2nd
35 - Persona 4: Dancing All Night

For a platform that's had so many great rhythm games, it's a crime that Dancing All Night, of all things, should be chosen as the pinnacle of the genre. No amount of Shoji Meguro and fake Rise can fix bad charting.

The #1 pick is a little bit weird but it's hard to say it's not deserving, especially since #2 is technically a super-sized port. Part of the reason I don't like ranked lists is because I feel both are so different and they succeed equally well at what they're trying to do, but they can't both be #1.

I'm guessing here, but some of the charting positions might be because a few people voted on the Top 100 and then it was 'tweaked' some. That's the only way I can explain the position of some of the games. Perhaps more people played them than other games, because there are some games that are straight up objectively not as as good as others lower on the list.

If that's your best 100 games then you had one hell of a weak library. There's nothing there that will ever trouble any 'greatest games of all time' lists. When something irredeemably bad like Zero Time Dilemma is making the list you have problems.

My fav Vita games so you can get a sense of where I'm coming from:
1. Everybody's Golf
2. Lumines: Electronic Symphony
3. Wipeout 2048
4. Gravity Rush
5. Rayman Origins
6. Uncharted Golden Abyss
7. Killzone Mercenary

I actually prefer Vita's library to PS3.

Killzone Mercenary
over
Persona 4 Golden

Utter trash. Comically, the editors seem to agree? "Arguably the finest game that Vita has to offer, the surprise for us here is that it finished in second place..."

Killzone Mercenary
a good game and probably the most technically impressive the Vita has to offer, but
P4G
is a formative game for many people. A life changer. People still talk about that game regularly with utter reverence and not just because
its sequel is out/was coming out
. Everybody's already forgotten about
Killzone Mercenary

[...] The #1 pick is a little bit weird but it's hard to say it's not deserving, especially since #2 is technically a super-sized port. Part of the reason I don't like ranked lists is because I feel both are so different and they succeed equally well at what they're trying to do, but they can't both be #1.

This is actually a good point. But still. "The Best Game on Vita" still means "The Best Game on Vita". Which
P4G
is.

CREDIT WHERE CREDIT IS DUE: The formatting and graphic design of this is impressive. It's cool to see video game things in a magazine format so long after I stopped reading them.

Doomshine

I have 44 of the games, went through them added some to my wishlist.

Every time I do this there are some games that make me go "huh, why didn't I check this game out before?", and then I see the swimsuit and maid outfit DLC and go "oh, right".

I actually thought Killzone was kind of weak. It was hand down the visual showcase for the system, but the narrative was terrible, and tbh I struggled with the aiming in tense firefights. It felt like the developers knew this would be the case, so the enemies were slow and bumbling to compensate. You'd often have all day to line up a headshot.

I'd put P4G or VLR ahead of it handily, but I guess I can understand that they might have wanted to go with a pure exclusive for #1.

Griss said:
If that's your best 100 games then you had one hell of a weak library. There's nothing there that will ever trouble any 'greatest games of all time' lists.

Vita's strength is the breadth of its library, if not the height - if that makes any sense. It has about 1500 games iirc, which means hundreds of 8/10 type games. Among those, just about anybody is bound to find a bunch that mesh with their tastes and bump that up to a personal 9/10. Also, having access to the PSP library with a better analog stick/dpad and a screen that doesn't smear the graphics is the hidden mvp of the Vita's functionality. So many legendary titles there.

It's also an ideal place to play PS1 classics, the small screen is much kinder to the visuals than an HDTV will be.

ArjanN

There's a lot of great games on the Vita, but definitely not 100 of them.

Nah, there's easily 100 great indie games alone.

Most of them are just ports obviously, but they're there.

If that's your best 100 games then you had one hell of a weak library. There's nothing there that will ever trouble any 'greatest games of all time' lists.

Spelunky is easily one of the best games of the last generation, so no.

This thread just reminded me that I need to pick up Stranger in Sword City whenever I'm finished with Persona 5.

Vita's strength is the breadth of its library, if not the height - if that makes any sense. It has about 1500 games iirc, which means hundreds of 8/10 type games. Among those, just about anybody is bound to find a bunch that mesh with their tastes and bump that up to a personal 9/10. Also, having access to the PSP library with a better analog stick/dpad and a screen that doesn't smear the graphics is the hidden mvp of the Vita's functionality. So many legendary titles there.

It's also an ideal place to play PS1 classics, the small screen is much kinder to the visuals than an HDTV will be.

This is the truth. PS1 games make up the vast majority of my Vita library. I'd much rather play Alundra or Suikoden II on the Vita, even if I do still have my PS3. I wish they could've gotten PS2 classics running on it. :(

joe2187

Banned
List of ommited games

can be inserted in the spot bullet girls occupies. (seriously...Bullet Girls...why in gods name is that game on that list....it has no reason or right to be there whatsoever.

Steins Gate 0
Oreshika: Tainted Bloodlines
Htol#NiQ
Shante Half Genie Hero
Shovel Knight
Curses and Chaos
Octodad: Dadliest Catch
Deception IV: The Nightmare Princess
Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3
Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climac
Arcana Heart 3: Love MAX!!!!
Trails of Cold Steel
Shiren The Wanderer: The Tower of Fortune and the Dice of Fate
Phantom Breaker Battlegrounds
Pix The Cat
LA-MULANA EX
Sine Mora
Adventure Time
Nidhogg
The Unfinished Swan
Titan Souls
Alone With You
Skullgirls 2nd Encore
Monster Monpiece (Actually a decent card battle game...if you ignore the whole masturbation minigame)
DJ Max Technica Tune
Hitman Go
Lara Croft Go
Jet Set Radio
Hatoful Boyfriend
Geometry Wars3 Dimensions
Volgarr
VVVVVV
Project Diva f

Ventara

DJ Max gets the shaft but Bullet Girls makes the cut? Odin Sphere at 24? Terrible list.

List of ommited games

can be inserted in the spot bullet girls occupies. (seriously...Bullet Girls...why in gods name is that game on that list....it has no reason or right to be there whatsoever.

They left out Oreshika, Shantae and Shovel Knight, too? Come on!

Top Bottom