• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VOEZ |OT| 116 Songs. 6 High Schoolers. 1st Rhythm Game on Switch. This is the VOEZ!

Vitacat

Tried the iPad version. Nice presentation, but wasn't impressed by the gameplay. Will wait for better rhythm games to come.

Cerium

Holy crap, legit my second favorite game on the Switch next to Zelda. Definitely love it more here than I did on iOS and the song selection is insane.

Man, I'm reallllllllllllllllllllllly crossing my fingers that Rayark brings Deemo to the Switch too. I'd pay 25 bucks to have all those songs readily available.

So I'd never even heard of this game until it was mentioned as one of the games on the JP eShop that was also in English on launch day, so I blind bought it. I've always super loved rhythm games, so I figured it was a shoe-in for something I'd like.

Man, like doesn't even begin to describe it. It's frantic and well paced without being overwhelming. The charts are fantastic and the visuals are sublime. The songs are almost all great so far, and the addition of a story mode is a fantastic little incentive to do certain challenges and to strive to play harder and more varied songs.

I haven't been this in love with a rhythm game since Project DIVA first came out, I think it even trump Theaterhythm and Ouendan for a spot near the top of my rhythm game list. Thanks for turning me on to this game, GAF, I will be playing it for a LONG time.

If you're uncertain, grab the iPhone version or check out YouTube. It's a game well worth looking into, and a must buy for people who enjoy electronic and jpop-rock music or rhythm games.

IMO biggest difference is that lanes are dynamic, so they'll move around and disappear. Notes can be tap, hold, slide, or swipe. Thankfully the dynamic lanes don't interfere with readability.

Game is pretty sweet, I like that everything is unlocked and I don't have to slog through lower difficulties first. Has a good, clean aesthetic and a lot of songs.

Glad you guys are loving it so much!

The theme song that plays in the menu has been stuck in my head all day. That's a good sign, right?

There's something really cool about hitting a series of notes and getting into the song. Playing Voez makes me want to play Hatsune Miku. Thinking about the two, I like that Voez doesn't have as much background animation and video going on like Hatsune Miku. I always found that distracting.

On the phone version, the tutorials stop showing up... at some point. I don't remember when, but they do stop playing it automatically after a few songs.

I removed both Joy-Cons, wedged the Switch between my thighs and go to town.
KuGsj.gif

The tutorial eventually stops auto-loading once the game knows you've gotten the gist of things.

Thank you both. 😊

I have been wondering, what exactly do the plus and minus buttons do when selecting the song? Does it change how many notes are sent or how fast they arrive?

And what number do you play at? 3 seems to be the default, and I tried 5, but I wasn't sure what changed.

jonno394

I have been wondering, what exactly do the plus and minus buttons do when selecting the song? Does it change how many notes are sent or how fast they arrive?

And what number do you play at? 3 seems to be the default, and I tried 5, but I wasn't sure what changed.

They change the speed things move from top to bottom on screen (so really gives you less time to react visually) 4 is default on my phone, tried 10 at one point..

It only controls note speed, and you should experiment until you find the speed that you are comfortable with (which will matter more at higher difficulties).

Higher speeds give you less time to react but also stretch out the chart so that fewer notes are on screen at the same time, which is good when there are a lot of notes - playing at slow speeds at higher difficulties can be just as overwhelming as playing at fast speeds. Most people will want somewhere in the middle.

I play on 6. Thinking about going to 7.

There are times where (during the beginning of a song) you'll notice lag. It automatically adjusts itself in a few seconds though. If you notice the lag, restart the song and it won't be there anymore.

I've had this happen about 3 times. Not sure what causes it. So if you experience it, don't panic lol.

They change the speed things move from top to bottom on screen (so really gives you less time to react visually) 4 is default on my phone, tried 10 at one point..

It only controls note speed, and you should experiment until you find the speed that you are comfortable with (which will matter more at higher difficulties).

Higher speeds give you less time to react but also stretch out the chart so that fewer notes are on screen at the same time, which is good when there are a lot of notes - playing at slow speeds at higher difficulties can be just as overwhelming as playing at fast speeds. Most people will want somewhere in the middle.

I play on 6. Thinking about going to 7.

That makes sense, thank you both. I'll do some experimenting. :)

Bought this game sight unseen when the eShop updated this morning, I really wanted a rhythm game on the Switch... and was very pleasantly surprised!

Really enjoying the charts, and love the music so far (heavy on the J/K/T pop, soft piano RPG soundtrack-esque tunes, and EDM). Most enjoyable rhythm game I've played since DJ Max Technika Tune, which is really saying something (couldn't get into Superbeat Xonic, and I really disliked Project Diva X's tracklist).

Jashobeam

Some great, positive impressions, glad to hear that its good. I tried to buy this earlier but the eshop wasnt working for me, gonna try later when i get home, cant wait to play it!

Listonosh

Glad you guys are loving it so much!

I've always wanted my iPhone to be a rhythm game machine, since there are a few stand out rhythm games on the platform. But after playing this game here, on the switch, I would want nothing more than to see a lot of those games make their way here, and with the same pricing model. I'd much rather pay upfront for a huge list of songs like this, instead of the iPhone freemium model.

Would love to see Deemo, Cytus, DJ Max Ray, Technika Q on the switch for sure.

gogogow

I tried it yesterday on my iPhone. So happy I can just buy the full game without microtransactions. Really love it. The songs are really good and love their take on the music game genre. I love the DJ Max Portable series, but could never get into DJ Max Technika on the Vita. Maybe i'll go back to it one day.

If Rayark are gonna make VOEZ 2, I really hope it will have some kind of Arcade mode, like DJ Max Portable or Beatmania.

Steiner

Banned
Are we sure all the songs that were on mobile are here? My favorite song that I had been playing on my phone the past few days I can't seem to find on the Switch.

Just played a couple rounds. It's so relaxing.

The hit feedback (or lack thereof) really annoyed me in the iOS version, especially as the solution was to have those irritating chimes over the top, but it's not as big of a deal here. I guess because the screen is bigger. Either way, I really like it.

It especially differentiates itself from stuff like Tap Tap (from the old iOS days!) by having the shifting lanes, which feel as designed as the notes on the tracks themselves. They're not distracting but instead enhance the flow, and look really pretty to boot.

Overall I really like it, it feels at home on the Switch. Glad my glass screen protector arrived the other day too, screen feels really nice now.

Steiner

Banned

The hit feedback (or lack thereof) really annoyed me in the iOS version, especially as the solution was to have those irritating chimes over the top, but it's not as big of a deal here. I guess because the screen is bigger. Either way, I really like it.

It especially differentiates itself from stuff like Tap Tap (from the old iOS days!) by having the shifting lanes, which feel as designed as the notes on the tracks themselves. They're not distracting but instead enhance the flow, and look really pretty to boot.

Overall I really like it, it feels at home on the Switch. Glad my glass screen protector arrived the other day too, screen feels really nice now.

Glad to hear this. I'm waiting on my tempered glass protector to ship. For now, the screen has a little bit of stickiness and pull to it, especially because I perspire very mildly through my hands, so I'm really needing a smoother and slicker surface for those white beads and slide notes.

Glad to hear this. I'm waiting on my tempered glass protector to ship. For now, the screen has a little bit of stickiness and pull to it, especially because I perspire very mildly through my hands, so I'm really needing a smoother and slicker surface for those white beads and slide notes.
Heh, same.

It's still not perfectly slide-y because it's a new screen protector, but it is immediately better than the plastic screen protector I had on before, and I imagine much better than the OG screen as well. It's a worthwhile upgrade imo.

rpmurphy

Are we sure all the songs that were on mobile are here? My favorite song that I had been playing on my phone the past few days I can't seem to find on the Switch.
Which one is that?

Edit: Oh, yeah, there are some songs that are not in this (like some with Chinese lyrics I don't see here). They did say that they will release additional songs over time, so hopefully we'll get them at some point.

Listonosh

May I ask what glass screen protector you got? I see so many options on Amazon and so many with low star ratings

ggx2ac

Wait, so does changing the note speed affect your score?

I assumed changing note speed would give you more points because of playing it faster.

Edit: After looking at the OP I don't see anything about note speed affecting score so I guess it isn't affected.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Downloaded when I got home, the song butterfly is the one that made me fully understand what slide meant

blazeaire

Wow I just realized this thread's title is a reference to the Voice haha, not sure how you even pronounce Voez though, voh-ez?

Cerium

Wow I just realized this thread's title is a reference to the Voice haha, not sure how you even pronounce Voez though, voh-ez?

lol I was wondering if anyone would get that.

I think it's actually supposed to be a play on "Voice" given how that word is emphasized in official material. It's probably pronounced like "Voyz."

how many fingers are you supposed to use

As many as you need. The screen supports up to ten points of contact.

Click some of the gifs in the OP and you'll see videos of high level players playing.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
This game is really reawakening the weeb that was dormant inside, the side that listened a incredibly large amount of Japanese music in highschool

Wait, so does changing the note speed affect your score?

I assumed changing note speed would give you more points because of playing it faster.

Edit: After looking at the OP I don't see anything about note speed affecting score so I guess it isn't affected.

It doesn't affect score because it's to compensate for individual differences.

For some people, the fastest speed is easiest.

rpmurphy

One beef I have is that I still do wish they did at least have stick/button control for menu operations. I forget and get confused lol.

ggx2ac

One beef I have is that I still do wish they did at least have stick/button control for menu operations. I forget and get confused lol.

And that you don't really need the Joy-Cons but you need the right one just to go to the home menu when you're done playing.

Mandelbo

This game is a lot of fun! Already bumped it up to hard. Getting so many keys. It's kinda tedious to keep pulling icons at only three at a time.

I haven't progressed at all in the story because I haven't played anything on easy yet :p

Hard and special just get so intense sometimes that easy's just too tame in comparison!

Jashobeam

loving this game, I have djmax tune for vita and could never get into it because the songs weren't all that catchy, but this game has a wide variety of music that suits my tastes. The gameplay is easy to jump into and satisfying when you successfully clear a song. I find the only way to play it is having the Switch lying flat on top of a table, or on your lap since I play primarily with my index fingers, drawback is the strain on your neck looking down on the screen lol.

only played a dozen or so songs on Hard, my favorite so far is Re:sound from the Full moon World. The note chart makes you feel like you're playing the piano, love the part where you get parrallel white slide notes for both left and right sides.

zenspider

Liked the bit I played so far (damn you Zelda), but the lack of feedback and no fail state makes it hard to find the groove. Just gunna go through by difficulty and hope it clicks.

Got spoiled by Future Tone's customizable feedback and practice.

I really like this on the Switch. I thought touch-only and handheld focused titles in general wouldn't be a thing until Scorpio was a thung.

Cerium

Liked the bit I played so far (damn you Zelda), but the lack of feedback and no fail state makes it hard to find the groove. Just gunna go through by difficulty and hope it clicks.

Got spoiled by Future Tone's customizable feedback and practice.

I really like this on the Switch. I thought touch-only and handheld focused titles in general wouldn't be a thing until Scorpio was a thung.

There is an option for feedback. I emphasized it in the OP because people have trouble finding it.

Top Bottom