• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Volition announces Saints Row Gat out of Hell (PC/PS4/XB1/PS3/360, $20, Jan 27, 2015)

my hope is that this expansion is just something for us to play while the team

is making the reboot/sequel that will be announced at e3 2015 or soon after

what I want to see
  • new animations/engine/destruction/physics
  • balance
  • in depth customization further than 2 (player/clothing/cars)
  • a living world/variety
  • bring back multi-player modes not just co-op
  • no more piece meal dlcs - just put them in updates
  • just more in game content not collectibles
  • fuzz

some people are saying that a balanced saints row won't sell.. huh pretty much any open world sandbox game will sell these days (record numbers for watchdogs) and folks on current gen systems want these games

if the team managed to replicate the greatness of sr2 (not a remaster) I can guarantee the game will set records for the series
for deep silver and volition

Volition removed a ton of features and then threw a bunch of money caches, audio logs, and 50 million variants of the Mayhem activity all over the map to compensate. The wacky stuff is annoying but not that big of a deal to me (though Volition needs a better writer yesterday).

my hope is that this expansion is just something for us to play while the team

is making the reboot/sequel that will be announced at e3 2015 or soon after

what I want to see
  • new animations/engine/destruction/physics
  • balance
  • in depth customization further than 2 (player/clothing/cars)
  • a living world/variety
  • bring back multi-player modes not just co-op
  • no more piece meal dlcs - just put them in updates
  • just more in game content not collectibles
  • fuzz

some people are saying that a balanced saints row won't sell.. huh pretty much any open world sandbox game will sell these days (record numbers for watchdogs) and folks on current gen systems want these games

if the team managed to replicate the greatness of sr2 (not a remaster) I can guarantee the game will set records for the series
for deep silver and volition

So basically you want.. GTA.

I don't think you guys are seeing the bigger picture here. Volition are not Rockstar and Deep Sliver are not like Ubisoft.

To make a game with the content of Watchdogs or GTA5 takes hundreds upon hundreds of developers and a massive budget.

The only way you are getting a game like Saints row 2, is if you have the exact same production values that saints row 2 has. Anything else would bankrupt the developer and publisher long before release.

Corpsepyre

Banned

I don't think you guys are seeing the bigger picture here. Volition are not Rockstar and Deep Sliver are not like Ubisoft.

To make a game with the content of Watchdogs or GTA5 takes hundreds upon hundreds of developers and a massive budget.

The only way you are getting a game like Saints row 2, is if you have the exact same production values that saints row 2 has. Anything else would bankrupt the developer and publisher long before release.

Yeah, and I think the bigger question is...why even bother with that in the first place when you can make something supremely fun and awesome, such as SR4 for example? Let GTA be GTA, and let Watch Dogs be whatever it wants to be, in my opinion.

I think this expansion is basically just a hold over until last-gen support finally dies off and they can put all of their effort into next-gen (which I'm sure they're already working on anyway)

between that and the 100+ employees they just hired, they can easily do another SR2 style game with increased production values

Mask

How long until they cancel this, and reannounce it as Saints Row 5 and change the price to full? Like they did with Enter the Dominatrix?

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
A trailer shows Kinsey, Johnny Gat and other Saints delving - and this is not a metaphor - into Hell to rescue the Saints Row boss who was promoted to President of the United States during Saints Row 4.

this series has gone so crazy, lmao

Gotta love me some saints row!
$20 stand alone? Day one on Xbox one if it's £20...

Saints Row 4 Re-elected? Better graphics and 60fps capped then day one as well!

If we're doing side games, I want Josh Birken back. Nyte Blayde needs more appearances.

Also, that trailer is fucking great. So much hype.

Dawg

Not sure how many people miss the feature, but I really liked how you could upgrade buildings with better TVs, furniture and other stuff in SR2.

I was kinda disappointed it was changed to just "buying" buildings in SR3 :(

If we're doing side games, I want Josh Birken back. Nyte Blayde needs more appearances.

Also, that trailer is fucking great. So much hype.

well,
he IS dead, so it's entirely possible he was sent to Hell along with many other familiar characters when the earth exploded

On one had I'm disappointed it's not a full next gen open world game, after finding GTAV utterly abhorrent and tedious outside of the first heist mission I'm hungry for one. On the other hand. On the other hand I'll be sure to buy it day one at that price.

well,
he IS dead, so it's entirely possible he was sent to Hell along with many other familiar characters when the earth exploded

Oh I know, but I'm pretty sure Enter the Dominatrix
goes all Adaptation and acknowledges a game within a game breaking the fourth wall spectacularly by being the game and retcons everything doesn't it
? It's been a while since I played it so I can't remember.

I think I saw Genki challenges, I better have, because you know that fucker is in hell.

I'm sorry I thought this was America

Then show your president some respect.

Concept17

How long until they cancel this, and reannounce it as Saints Row 5 and change the price to full? Like they did with Enter the Dominatrix?

They've hired a ton of people, and are most certainly working on next-gen tech. This project is likely just a 'B-team' release to bring in some additional income, and get a feel for consumer response in regard to the direction of the series.

Also, that decision with IV was thanks to THQ, iirc.

Basketball

Deep Silver the same pub that shits out Dead Islands one after , even mobas, downloadables,

Saints Row is pretty much their biggest franchise now (it should be)

just because you can steal cars does not make it a gta clone

what gta can you create you own character,voice,movement,fighting style

the minigames/activities are unique compared to activities in gta

wear wtf you what to wear regardless of story implications (
yes wearing a hotdog suit while holding carlos' dead body
)

the humor is different, multiplayer modes were different from any gta game.

to say that saint row 2 is just a gta clone is a disservice to the amazing game

you might as well call Sr4 a prototype/crackdown and a gta clone by your definition

Rembrandt

Banned
Deep Silver the same pub that shits out Dead Islands one after , even mobas, downloadables,

Saints Row is pretty much their biggest franchise now (it should be)

just because you can steal cars does not make it a gta clone

what gta can you create you own character,voice,movement,fighting style

the minigames/activities are unique compared to activities in gta

wear wtf you what to wear regardless of story implications (
yes wearing a hotdog suit while holding carlos' dead body
)

the humor is different, multiplayer modes were different from any gta game.

to say that saint row 2 is just a gta clone is a disservice to the amazing game

you might as well call Sr4 a prototype/crackdown and a gta clone by your definition

Sums up that argument. Also I doubt Saints Row 2 had a bigger budget than IV/III

Striker

It's how GTA used to be, really. And I love the shooting elements and walking/running style over what current GTA does - by miles. Along with its deep customization. I'd be there day one for a Saints Row Online that has a cool, unique city and has tons of different areas to play in.

Dawg

Shouldn't a bundle be... uhm... cheaper than two seperate things?

The bundle ($50) is the same price as the DLC ($20) + remastered game ($30).

VERY unsure about a Saints Row without the ability to play as my Cockney Boss. Gat's nice as an added seasoning, but he sure as hell is not my playable character.

Still, like the idea, and I'd not adverse to smaller titles inbetween the big Saints games. Nice to see Jane Austen as a homie, too.

Top Bottom