• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Voltron: Defender of the Universe DVD Set 1 = $22.99 @ Best Buy...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cloudy

Banned
3 DVD set in a nice fold out enclosed in a Blue Lion tin. So awesome and nostalgic :D

B000FUTV64.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V59621186_.jpg

From days of long ago, from uncharted regions of the universe, comes a legend. The legend of Voltron: Defender of the Universe! A mighty robot, loved by good, feared by evil. A force of space explorers, Keith, Lance, Hunk, Pidge, and Sven are sent to find the last princess of planet Arus, Allura, and the keys to Voltron.

Together they find the five robot lions that make up the legendary robot. As King Zarkon, an evil warlord, rains down destruction across the universe, our heroes form Voltron at the last moment, and begin a new war against his cruel empire.

This release has been remastered, includes a new 5.1 surround sound English track, and is packaged in a collectors' tin.

Contains episodes 1-15 on 3 discs.

DVD Features: Original Pilot: "The Voltron Trilogy," Staff Interviews, Making of the DVDs, Episode Synopses with Original Air Dates.

Spoken Languages: English.

* Age Rating - ALL More Information
* Date Available - Sep 26 2006
* 375 Minutes
* Format - Dubbed in English
* Media - DVD
* Product Availability - Preorder - Not Yet Shipping
* Publisher - MEDIA BLASTERS

Off to watch a few eps :)

Drensch

Based on when Cartoon network aired voltron, it doesn't hold up. The animation is really bad, and I loved Voltron. Stuff like Robotech and Thundercats are still good, but I had to stop watching voltron after a coupla of eps to keep my memories untainted.

Cloudy

Banned
So far it's not bad at all. Also the VA is pretty good for it's time. Better than a lot of stuff we get these days :lol

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
yeah ill buy this for the theme song and optimus prime doing the opening narration alone. The animation doesnt look nearly as good but voltron was older than all our other 80's fav's. The ass beating blazing sword sequence still rocks though. THis series got real good when they did the cross overs with the other voltrons and stuff.

I'm on it!

But more importantly when is the vehicle version coming out? I'm one of those freaks that liked that one better.

TRUKK NOT LYON!

Cloudy

Banned
Stoney Mason said:
I'm on it!

But more importantly when is the vehicle version coming out? I'm one of those freaks that liked that one better.

TRUKK NOT LYON!

It's an 8 dvd set IIRC with each set haveing 15 or so eps covering all the episodes so they'll be there at some point..

ManaByte

Gold Member
BTW, next year they're releasing both Hyakujuu-ou GoLion and Armored Fleet Dairugger XV (Vehicle Voltron) in the US on DVD and completely uncensored.

Of course, Voltron this year is a must-buy as will be GoLion next year.

MrDaravon

Stoney Mason said:
You are speaking insanity. Stop speaking insanity please.

He's right. I LOVED Voltron on a kid, and I've tried to watch it recently and I wanted to cut myself. Nostalgia blinds.

Cloudy said:
It's an 8 dvd set IIRC with each set haveing 15 or so eps covering all the episodes so they'll be there at some point..

Well when is Tranzor Z coming then?

Kidding.......Actually I'm not sadly....When do I get my Tranzor Z damn it!

SailorDaravon said:
He's right. I LOVED Voltron on a kid, and I've tried to watch it recently and I wanted to cut myself. Nostalgia blinds.

I'm mainly being a smart ass but actually I do disagree. I have them on DVD as I bought them a number of years ago bootlegged and I still quite like them and I'm being serious. Yes the animation is shit (but I never understand that argument as everything eventually dates itself) and yes they are a product of their time like anything is but I was surprised that I still enjoyed them. They hold up about as well as Transformers or any of that other stuff. The show was never exactly on the level of Robotech/Macross but I thought it was still better than most of the American stuff of the time period. And the vehicle Saga actually has some deep shit it in.

/end nerd rant.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Worth noting that the restored version on the new DVD looks beautiful. Probably better than the show ever did on TV. Yeah, the plotting and the script is pretty bad in places (I particularly enjoy that Lance is Michael Bell doing his regular voice, and Sven is Michael Bell doing his regular voice with a bad Scandinavian accent grafted on), but it's still Voltron, and that's awesome.

I'm just going to sit back, enjoy these, and wait for the movie to come along and ruin it all.

teiresias

ManaByte said:
BTW, next year they're releasing both Hyakujuu-ou GoLion and Armored Fleet Dairugger XV (Vehicle Voltron) in the US on DVD and completely uncensored.

Can someone explain to me the chronology of Voltron? Is GoLion a separate series or a third voltron (other than this "original" lion voltron and vehicle voltron)?

I also found Vehicle Voltron to be this mysterious Voltron I knew little about because I'd catch it every now and then but would never know when it was coming on so I never really watched it. Lion Voltron was the one that was on regularly after school for me (or was it Saturday mornings? I can't remember anymore).

ManaByte

Gold Member
teiresias said:
Can someone explain to me the chronology of Voltron? Is GoLion a separate series or a third voltron (other than this "original" lion voltron and vehicle voltron)?

I also found Vehicle Voltron to be this mysterious Voltron I knew little about because I'd catch it every now and then but would never know when it was coming on so I never really watched it. Lion Voltron was the one that was on regularly after school for me (or was it Saturday mornings? I can't remember anymore).

GoLion = Lion Voltron

It's just the original uncut Japanese version of the Lion Voltron.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
teiresias said:

GoLion is the Japanese series they made the Lion Voltron series out of. Much like Robotech is comprised of three previously unrelated series, Voltron was two unrelated Japanese shows that were combined (although not nearly to the degree Robotech was) so they could have enough episodes to qualify for afternoon syndication.

teiresias

MattKeil said:
GoLion is the Japanese series they made the Lion Voltron series out of. Much like Robotech is comprised of three previously unrelated series, Voltron was two unrelated Japanese shows that were combined (although not nearly to the degree Robotech was) so they could have enough episodes to qualify for afternoon syndication.

so what kind of changes were made that would warrant a purchase of both the US version and the japanese versions? Are fundamental storylines changed?

teiresias said:
so what kind of changes were made that would warrant a purchase of both the US version and the japanese versions? Are fundamental storylines changed?

Don't a TON of people die in Go Lion (like a whole planet?), and the whole thing is completely ignored in Voltron?

ManaByte

Gold Member
MattKeil said:
Worth noting that the restored version on the new DVD looks beautiful. Probably better than the show ever did on TV. Yeah, the plotting and the script is pretty bad in places (I particularly enjoy that Lance is Michael Bell doing his regular voice, and Sven is Michael Bell doing his regular voice with a bad Scandinavian accent grafted on), but it's still Voltron, and that's awesome.

I'm just going to sit back, enjoy these, and wait for the movie to come along and ruin it all.

Exactly.

And it still holds up. Watching the first disc right now and it looks and sounds fantastic.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
ManaByte said:

I'll pick up the uncensored stuff when it hits. Voltron is one of those shows as a kid where I'm glad it's coming out, but can't sit through. But, I've never seen the original, so I'll pick it up.

I still have both the Lion and Vehicle Voltron toys though. =D

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
voltronnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

why did they have to fight gigantic monsters anyhow?

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
ronin warriors has the same crappy animation, too. they were both running at the same time, i hated them both..

but voltron is cool only cause of the voltron thing....

i think i had a toy for voltron way back in the day, but i lost all the pices to it and only had the middle part that was made out of metal, so it looked like a limbless gimp.

Cloudy

Banned
Man, one thing that sticks out to me is the fact that the music is pretty good for it's time as far as cartoon shows go.

I'm enjoying this so much I'm gonna look into acquiring my other childhood faves like G-Force/Battle of the Planets (Gatchaman) and Thunder-Sub (Spacecraft Carrier Blue Noah) on dvd :D

Finally got off my lazy ass and picked this up. Holy Shit the transfer is clean! I had the whole series on bootlegged DVD's and sort of assumed that the retail versions would look better but still be kinda crappy looking.

The look stunning to me. Totally transported me bacl to being a kid and coming home from school and watching it on TV because it looks so nice. I can't wait for the vehicle version.

mosaic

go eat paint
This set is worth it just to see Peter Keefe's craaazy Rollie Fingers mustache in the "making of" documentary on disc 3.

Black mustache, blonde hair... something's been dyed! Carpet? Drapes?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom