• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First footage and cast photo Netflix's Voltron: Legendary Defender

Status
Not open for further replies.

JLynn

OOH! New Voltron? Character designs don't look bad at all!

*Sees jarring cel-shaded CGI Transformation sequence*

Seinfeld-Leaving.gif

Ithil

I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume that the line "Yes, soon we will rule the universe" is slightly out of context.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I think it looks pretty good honestly. I grew up with the original show, I still even have the large die cast Voltron lion toys, so I'll be checking this out for sure.

GutsOfThor

I can't remember for the life of me but why didn't they just form Voltron from the start instead of letting the lions get fucked up?

Dice//

Banned
Decent trailer! Could use some more in-between frames, but the artwork still looks mighty nice.

Edit: heh, this was the nostalgia cornerstone of my boyfriend's childhood (he had toys and everything). He liked it too.x)
xFzjdRw.png

Looks like it has promise really.

Course nostalgia goggles will have people thinking how the original was some kind of masterpiece

I'm hopeful because the creaters seem to realize this a bit with their tagline: "We didn't recreate the Voltron we saw, we recreated the Voltron we remember".

I would love to have the main theme from the original series here, but it would have to be the entire theme as the ones heards in the previous tries, 3D and Force, only used part of it and not the best part. But at the same time I'm not really expecting it.

So far I'm looking forward to this with my fingers crossed.

Sponge

Banned
Hoping nothing happens to this show since Comcast recently bought Dreamworks. I remember reading eventually they want to take their stuff off Netflix went the contracts expire.

Jarlaxle

That trailer doesn't look too bad. Although I'm having a hard time getting on board without the music. The song absolutely makes Voltron.

Looks like it has promise really.

Course nostalgia goggles will have people thinking how the original was some kind of masterpiece

I know you are probably specifically talking about Voltron, but wasn't the original Japanese version very highly regarded among contemporaries, especially for its narrative?

Only really speaking from what I have heard from friends and co-workers who grew up with it. I know it wasn't as popular as the versions released overseas though.

I've always wanted to track down some version to watch but it's pretty rare I guess since it was never a hit here.

Regarding this new version, I think it looks okay from the trailer footage but still too early to tell.

It looks fine. Animation-wise, it doesn't look any better or worse than Avatar or any of the other 'action' shows that kids watch today on Nickelodeon, and everybody seems to really like that. At least the characters are hand-drawn. I would have expected full-CG.

kunonabi

Not digging the new princess design, the villains, the voltron design, or the CG. Even how they get Voltron looks much worse. I'll pass.

nasax

I grew up with the show so I have lots of memories of it and this looked alright to me. Didn't blow me away but I'll give it a try.

People sure are getting really hung up about the voices. What's so bad about them?

They're new and probably not what people or older fans were expecting and are over analyzing/critiquing. I did the same but it took me a few times to settle down and realize that they are fine.

Ithil

They're new and probably not what people or older fans were expecting and are over analyzing/critiquing. I did the same but it took me a few times to settle down and realize that they are fine.

Especially given the actual 80s Voltron had quite terrible voice acting (and sound quality).

The upgrade in Pidge from some kind of weird troll voice in the original show to an actual human actress alone is notable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom