• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Voltron: Legendary Defender |OT| Season 3 now up, Season 4 (cough) in Oct

Was I the only one that flashed on
Vehicle Voltron
at this sscene?

8kPofnp.jpg

In all this time they have still left the opening animation completely untouched since the first time it was shown on season 1. I wonder if it will be finally updated next season.

Enjoyed this batch of episodes immensely. The only low point for me is
how poorly Lotor's actions have been explained; I can't tell what happened when he tried to open Honnerva's gate and it seems wildly out of character for his generals to have turned on him. So now he's met up with the Voltron coalition with one of his three ships, the other two who knows where and rudderless. I have no idea where they're going with this.

StoneFox

In all this time they have still left the opening animation completely untouched since the first time it was shown on season 1. I wonder if it will be finally updated next season.

how poorly Lotor's actions have been explained; I can't tell what happened when he tried to open Honnerva's gate and it seems wildly out of character for his generals to have turned on him. So now he's met up with the Voltron coalition with one of his three ships, the other two who knows where and rudderless. I have no idea where they're going with this.

Maybe he wants to become immortal like his parents?

He's creating another
Voltron. One made of three Ships instead of 5 lions robots.

Hero

His generals even said there's one remaining option which Lotor is already trying to do.

Title of the last episode even hints at it.

When are we gonna get season 5?

Season 4 finale spoilers:

What a coincidence that Shiro's incredibly detailed offensive strategy placed the entire Voltron Coalition within range of a planetary bomb that Haggar had apparently planned for.

I just found an article from August when the showrunners were asked about why Shiro came back quickly in Season 3 (source):

That's pretty weird considering what happend to his Original Voltron/GoLion counterpart.

Was Shiro just to popular?

Also it's been forever since I watched any of the original show is their any precedent for
Lotor being a sixth ranger? Either way I'd be all for that.

PSqueak

Banned

Well is it out of character?
They saw him kill one of them with no explanation even tho there was a perfectly valid reason for him to (ie, Haggar had took over),
they rightfully felt like none of them were safe.

Season 4 finale spoilers:

What a coincidence that Shiro's incredibly detailed offensive strategy placed the entire Voltron Coalition within range of a planetary bomb that Haggar had apparently planned for.

They did mention that it fits with the Galra creed of "victory or death", the idea that all their key strongholds are
rigged to wipe out an entire system in case of total capture
is actually pretty smart and consistent. Also remember
Shiro's plan involved intel cultivated over months by Matt, Pidge, Hunk and the Blades of Marmora

I just found an article from August when the showrunners were asked about why Shiro came back quickly in Season 3 (source):

So this confirms the wrote "The Voltron Show" episode out of spite?

Gotta say, while the season (and by that i mean all 13 eps as season 3) was very good but im dissapointed that
Lotor's plans didnt have any pay off yet
, sure, i understand that plans can go south but it felt a bit anticlimatic
specially since this was gearing up to Lotor creating a sort of anti voltron.

Also felt weird
They decided to write off Keith for most of this episodes
i understand what they're trying to do with him, but it feels weird still.

Liked that this season ends with
A huge victory for team Voltron
because it feels like very significant progress.

Also,
Rest in Piece Not-Slippy ;.;7

They did mention that it fits with the Galra creed of "victory or death", the idea that all their key strongholds are
rigged to wipe out an entire system in case of total capture
is actually pretty smart and consistent. Also remember
Shiro's plan involved intel cultivated over months by Matt, Pidge, Hunk and the Blades of Marmora
Finale spoilers:

I was moreso getting at the idea of Operation Kuron having an influence in Shiro's strategy. We still don't know what it is exactly, but I don't think it would be a stretch to assume the Galra have some way of monitoring the team through Shiro. Not to mention the question of whether this is the real Shiro or someone else given false memories. I was also a bit surprised at how Shiro acted in the finale. When the generators started to appear, Lance said the team needed to get off the planet and told Pidge to secure an escape route. Pidge seemed to agree until Shiro ordered them to stay, only for the gravity field to trap them a minute later. I also thought Lance's motivational speech to Allura was the sort of thing Shiro would have said in the first two seasons, but Shiro seemed to have trouble figuring a way out of the trap.

PSqueak

Banned
Finale spoilers:

I was moreso getting at the idea of Operation Kuron having an influence in Shiro's strategy. We still don't know what it is exactly, but I don't think it would be a stretch to assume the Galra have some way of monitoring the team through Shiro. Not to mention the question of whether this is the real Shiro or someone else given false memories. I was also a bit surprised at how Shiro acted in the finale. When the generators started to appear, Lance said the team needed to get off the planet and told Pidge to secure an escape route. Pidge seemed to agree until Shiro ordered them to stay, only for the gravity field to trap them a minute later. I also thought Lance's motivational speech to Allura was the sort of thing Shiro would have said in the first two seasons, but Shiro seemed to have trouble figuring a way out of the trap.

I do agree that some stuff with
Shiro
feels off, but after reading that interview, it's becoming harder to believe
they'll reveal him as a clone
he'd still turn out to be some sort of
Sleeper agent or plant
, another strike against that plot thread however is
witnessing how Haggar's mind control/spying powers work.

Regarding the
Lance and Allura
bit, it actually was thematically appropriate that
Lance
gave that speech because
It was supposed to mirror what Allura told him when he was feeling unworthy of being a Paladin
it was a nice way to show growth from both characters.

I do agree that some stuff with
Shiro
feels off, but after reading that interview, it's becoming harder to believe
they'll reveal him as a clone
he'd still turn out to be some sort of
Sleeper agent or plant
, another strike against that plot thread however is
witnessing how Haggar's mind control/spying powers work.
I guess the possibility I was considering with the interview was that since the staff originally planned for a full season without Shiro but the execs insisted on Shiro coming back almost immediately, the staff and execs could have compromised with Shiro escaping and rejoining the team as part of some Galra plan (with Shiro possibly having his mind messed with or this Shiro being a clone). That way the staff could satisfy the execs by having Shiro back on the team, but also advance the narrative in the general direction they want by hinting that this isn't quite the same Shiro from Seasons 1 and 2.

Regarding the
Lance and Allura
bit, it actually was thematically appropriate that
Lance
gave that speech because
It was supposed to mirror what Allura told him when he was feeling unworthy of being a Paladin
it was a nice way to show growth from both characters.

I agree with you completely on this, but I still found it a bit strange how Shiro didn't really give any encouragement. From what I can remember of Seasons 1 and 2, Shiro was the sort of character that saw his teammates' potential and tried to help push them in the right direction. Between his recent interactions with Keith and Allura, I've been getting the impression that Lance has been growing into that role since the start of Season 3 (even now when Shiro is leading the team again).

AoM

Probably gonna drop the show. I find myself caring little about the characters (though the episode with
Pidge's brother
was pretty good), and even less about the story.

I'm watching S3 and S4 again, then I'll write up some thoughts about the latest batch of episodes. I would have probably preferred it aired as a single season of 13 episodes, although it does feel like a pretty good stopping point after episodes 7 and 13. I really like Lotor and his whole arc/plotline, but it feels like it's been a bit too rushed. Spreading it out over two seasons would have probably been much better IMO.

Hero

It's kind of weird that the execs demanded Shiro not be missing for more than a few episodes. The best episode with Team Voltron where Coran jokingly says he'd replace them all except Shiro because he's their number one seems like it may have been a playful jab at that? The other thing though is that they don't sell any merch of the actual characters, right? It's just of the lions / Voltron. Wonder what the executive reasoning was.

Count me in as someone that would've loved this whole season without Shiro and gave Keith more time with the mantle, it seemed really rushed and undercooked in hindsight now. I love this show but I think it's kind of hurt by the short seasons like Korra was. Lotor's arc so far has been rushed. It should be way more shocking when he kills one of his lieutenants and the others betray him, but at this point it's just a big *shrug*.

StoneFox

The other thing though is that they don't sell any merch of the actual characters, right? It's just of the lions / Voltron. Wonder what the executive reasoning was.

They do sell action figures of the Paladins but I don't think they have an Allura Paladin figure yet.

Season 3 and 3.5 are kind of bad.

the Galra empire spent thousands of years conquering and it's taking them like a few months to take a third of it back.
Also Voltron has no equal. It just wins. You don't even get a sense that it can lose. What can Zarkon do besides use Lotor's Voltron? If he gets it that is. Galra have been neuteured and show is now boring.

PSqueak

Banned

the Galra empire spent thousands of years conquering and it's taking them like a few months to take a third of it back.
Also Voltron has no equal. It just wins. You don't even get a sense that it can lose. What can Zarkon do besides use Lotor's Voltron? If he gets it that is. Galra have been neuteured and show is now boring.

To be fair
They have stated outright since the beginning that Voltron is a game changer weapon, it's been there since the start that it was so powerful it'd change the tide of battle and they also have played up the fact that morale boosting on itself was an important part, the mere fact of voltron being there led to several systems rising against the Galra,
so it's not just Voltron beating everything either.

Tarydax

Banned
Those scenes in episode 2 with Pidge
in the graveyard
were amazing.
The "Oh no" combined with the music
made me tear up. Definitely my favorite moment in the entire show.

On the whole I'd say this season felt rushed -
Lotor's arc especially. I also didn't like how they wrote off Keith for a good chunk of the season when they were building him up to be the leader in the last one. Things went back to being (relatively) normal too quickly for my tastes with Shiro back in the leadership role. Plus the Galra ended up being mostly nonthreatening compared to the previous seasons so that was a big disappointment.

I'm assuming there must have been a significant time jump between half-seasons?
This half-season shows Allura with no issues piloting her lion whatsoever, and apparently Keith disappearing to go on missions with the Blade of Marmora had been going on for a while even though the show made zero mention of it before we actually saw it happening.

Hero

I'm assuming there must have been a significant time jump between half-seasons?
This half-season shows Allura with no issues piloting her lion whatsoever, and apparently Keith disappearing to go on missions with the Blade of Marmora had been going on for a while even though the show made zero mention of it before we actually saw it happening.

One of the first lines of the new episode was a character mentioning that they haven't heard/seen from Lotor in months.

Yes, it did feel weird that they were freeing a third of the Galra Empire by the end of this season, especially when they've many times now mentioned the word 'Universe', so this is all possibly taking place over dozens or hundreds of galaxies. If they'd kept it a bit more believable, like restrict it to just the Milky Way or something I wouldn't have minded.

Those scenes in episode 2 with Pidge
in the graveyard
were amazing.
The "Oh no" combined with the music
made me tear up. Definitely my favorite moment in the entire show.

On the whole I'd say this season felt rushed -
Lotor's arc especially. I also didn't like how they wrote off Keith for a good chunk of the season when they were building him up to be the leader in the last one. Things went back to being (relatively) normal too quickly for my tastes with Shiro back in the leadership role. Plus the Galra ended up being mostly nonthreatening compared to the previous seasons so that was a big disappointment.

Yeah, that whole episode with Pidge was fantastic. The cinematography and the music was so on-point.

And I also agree with you about Lotor's arc being rushed. Having trouble balancing the whole cast has been an issue with the show ever since season 1, IMO. I understand that not everyone is going to or should have equal screen-time, but it really feels like some characters drop into the background for a few episodes at a time.

One of the first lines of the new episode was a character mentioning that they haven't heard/seen from Lotor in months.

Good catch.

Also, does anyone think that there might be something to Zarkon under that mask - maybe he's rapidly decaying due to the quintessence, or he's not really better and Haggar is using him as a puppet or something? I'm not really convinced that is the case, but I was wondering if the mask serves a purpose. He already looked pretty damn threatening before. -- never mind; you see him as he puts on the mask in episode 4 and he looks normal.

Voltron Season 3 + 3.5

One day, Hunk will get a character arc to define him beyond the fat guy.

Also, I'm starting to suspect the team knows they're not good at giant robot fights, because there's a distinct lack of giant robot fights in both seasons. I'm serious, there's very little Voltroning going on.

Like the climax of 3.5 is Voltron apparently taking a planet, and it's mostly done off-screen.

Blues1990

Voltron Season 3 + 3.5

Also, I'm starting to suspect the team knows they're not good at giant robot fights, because there's a distinct lack of giant robot fights in both seasons. I'm serious, there's very little Voltroning going on.

Like the climax of 3.5 is Voltron apparently taking a planet, and it's mostly done off-screen.

It’s not like his love of food/being cowardly are his ONLY defining traits. Hunk is (usually) the voice of restraint/caution of the team, and despite his immense strength, he has a hard time engaging in fights due to his gentle nature.

I also like that he and Lance connect on their largely laid back personalities, while Pidge is his equal and contemporary in the field of science & engineering (but unlike Pidge, he doesn’t flaunt that fact around and is usually grounded about it).

PSqueak

Banned
Voltron Season 3 + 3.5

Did you forget all the stuff he did on Balmera? And Shay?

Plus Pidge explained
to Matt
that a lot of the Galra tracking stuff they had going was actually made by Hunk.

StoneFox

Hunk is actually my favorite character and I loved Seasons 3&4 in particular because it shows off that he is smart but obviously food is more his passion, so he flaunts it more. I just love how easily and casually he's friends with everyone in the group, from Lance and him sharing a lot of personal space (hugging, leaning on each other), to Pidge and him being two sides of the same coin (dat best friend fistbump), to him teaching Allura human games and food (I wish these were given screen time, like when he taught her charades). Not to mention that he's quick to make friends with aliens, though Pidge does it just as easily.

I mean really, the only person we haven't seen him interact personally with is Shiro, which is kinda sad to me. I would love to see what the writers could do with the two of them paired off.

Season 4 Episode 3
Just realized on a re-watch that Pidge kept the fuzzy aliens from Season 2 Episode 1 in her room. I love that. I just like how lived in her room is compared to Keith's.

Top Bottom