• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vudu disc to digital coming to smartphones - barcodes

Status
Not open for further replies.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Did the new graphic have the deal listed? I missed that if so.

Re the free movie. It's limited time and Walmart has said less than 3 percent of people redeem their digital codes. The number of people trying this and getting into the system far outweighs the loss.

Oh sorry, I meant about it coming to iOS. Not about the deal.

3%, that's nuts.

Ok so I do not have the box anymore but I own The Fifth Element. So I scanned the code from the Amazon page and it worked!
It may work for movies that one does not own but that would be kind of sneaky.

qhJjgQb.gif

Ok so I do not have the box anymore but I own The Fifth Element. So I scanned the code from the Amazon page and it worked!
It may work for movies that one does not own but that would be kind of sneaky.

qhJjgQb.gif
I've read about this on slickdeals. This app won't survive the weekend.

Skatterd

To all the people talking about spoofing

Walmart/Vudu don't care. They only care about the conversion rate. You can literally get a code to convert a disc that you don't have to digital pretty much all over the internet.

Stanng243

Where is everyone seeing the back of the box pictures on amazon? I ditched a lot of my cases when I put everything in binders.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Hows vudu as a player? And hows their quality?

It's perhaps the best one out there currently. From a shootout a few years ago, I remember that iTunes and Vudu were close they've only gotten better since.

Also they offer 4K UHD, HDR, and DD Atmos options on newer releases.

geomon

Mine isn't working. Either UPC Not Found (which is bullshit because I used a blu-ray I own that I know had a VUDU code in it previously) or Address Undetermined.

Does this not work with an iPad Pro? The option is there on the app. When I press scan barcode it says my device does not have GPS, but I have location services enabled for the app.

Vashetti

Banned
Damn, wish the UK had a service like this.

Love my Blus, but would like a digital equivalent without ripping them all.

louiedog

Anyone know what happens when you scan a box set? I'd like digital copies of my BttF trilogy because it was from before UV was the standard. Would they give me the first for free? All 3? How do they show up?

edit: unrecognized

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Anyone know what happens when you scan a box set? I'd like digital copies of my BttF trilogy because it was from before UV was the standard. Would they give me the first for free? All 3? How do they show up?

Should work, since they typically had 1 code for all movies in a set.

Damn, my current address isn't recognized. Was leaning towards Skyfall (I lost the UV code for it).

I've tried LOTR EE and Alien Anthology and neither are recognized, but who knows.

louiedog

Remember that not every movie is eligible.
Unless you mean that it's not able to scan movies at all.

This is the full list. Unfortunately it's not presented very well.
About 8,300 movies.

http://www.vudu.com/movies/#featured/18938

There is a list out there of what is on their D2D gimmick

I'm not sure how complete it is, but here's an easier to use list.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1RSjytgDMHy3ZvOBotkKFY8g-WBYwRQ9jGI9uM-xY1Go/pub?output=html

deadlast

http://variety.com/2017/digital/news/vudu-mobile-app-scan-dvd-digital-copies-1202014120/

It has the same prices as the existing disc to digital program, $2 for a DVD, $5 to upgrade, and $2 for a Blu-ray. I've been a fan of this program for a while letting me cut down on my physical collection and upgrade it at the same time. I wonder how this new incarnation will be used over time.

Edit: Your first movie through this is FREE.
Can I use that on Lord of the Rings extended edition box set?

HAHAHA... I just saw others had the same thought as me. Oh well.

NimbusD

Lol if anyone lives above a store that sells Blu rays.

Also I think spoofing your location is pretty easy on rooted Android's right?

Tried a few barcodes off Amazon to no avail. Just trying to do some blue of some dvds I have to mimick the old half off.

I did notice a thing that offered 50% off your first 10 but then it didn't show in my cart. I've emailed support.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I've tried LOTR EE and Alien Anthology and neither are recognized, but who knows.

Those work on the PC version but you have to pay for each movie separately.
I did the process with almost all of my eligible discs. I'm glad I did it already if they really got rid of the 50% bulk discount.

EDIT: I tested the mobile app with Predator 2, a title that I saw on the mobile list that was never eligible in the PC app. Worked perfectly. (with an actual retail case)

Psykoboy2

I had a bunch of box sets and I'm not finding them to work as one. You have to do each disc individually. Some box sets have individual UPC code tabs on the inside. Those work, or they did for me, but again - you are doing each individual disc.

I get tons of errors when trying to use this. If it does work, be sure to do an upgrade from dvd as your first one. It will still be free, so you save 5 instead of 2.

I've used the disc version of this service quite a bit in the past to get streamable versions of my blu-rays for $1 each using the half-off for 10+ discs option. It's a neat service but some things people should know:

- Many movies simply don't qualify. Anything Disney will not work, for example, or from smaller studios. This includes Star Wars, Marvel, etc.

- Some movies that should work just don't. They are in the list but the discs won't scan or at least don't register the right "version" of the movie. The old WB "flipper" discs are notorious for this. I wouldn't be surprised if there are plenty of barcodes that do the same thing.

The big advantage using a barcode system over verifying discs is it should be much easier to update their system with the variety of editions and special releases compared to their own system.

Whether Vudu decides to put the effort into doing that much work is the question.

Great. PayPal won't let me remove my old address and tells me to remove it from the cards in my wallet first.

There is nowhere on the wallet page to change or remove addresses. Like, at all. God I hate PayPal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom