• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Waitress poured hot soup on me, restaurant did absolutely nothing

Status
Not open for further replies.
A large number of you are advocating for a world where only those that complain deserve reparations.

This makes it so that polite or naturally conflict averse people will always get the short end of the stick.

The world isn't a mind reader. The world isn't judging your body language and speech rhythms to notice that you actually have a problem when you keep on saying the opposite. Polite people can make complaints while avoiding conflict. I've made complaints at restaurants without causing conflict or raising my voice. It's not exactly hard.

Two Words

The world isn't a mind reader. The world isn't judging your body language and speech rhythms to notice that you actually have a problem when you keep on saying the opposite. Polite people can make complaints while avoiding conflict. I've made complaints at restaurants without causing conflict or raising my voice. It's not exactly hard.
If you spilled hot soup on somebody and as you are apologizing in a very frazzled manner he said "It's okay. It didn't burn me. I know it was an accident", would you think he is truly okay with it as in he in no way is bothered by it? You would need the ability to read minds to perceive that he is being polite and is trying to help not make a scene about it?

Neece

The world doesn't need to be a mind reader. It's customer service 101. Every restaurant worth a damn should be willing to offer comp when they make a big mistake, and spilling hot soup on someone should trigger the comp. Across the board, waiter to waiter, manager to manager. No reading body language, no guess work. It doesn't matter if they smile, frown, laugh, or yell. If you drop soup on someone, offer to make their experience better. If they reject, then move on.

It's really common sense and I'm really baffled by the people in here defending a restaurant that doesn't train their employees to do that.

ZOONAMI

You're paying $27 bucks for a steak and it's cooked wrong, send it back. No honor in being a doormat. That said, the chef actually did you a favor.

Well, that's just it, I'm alright with a rare steak from time to time so it actually wasn't really a big deal. Only meant it as a heads up to the chef.

Razorback

Yes it is hard. Having to ask for compensation for an obviously egregious mistake like having soup spilled on you is embarrassing. I'd rather take my business elsewhere if you can't "read my mind" on how having soup spilled on you is a bad experience.

If you spilled hot soup on somebody and as you are apologizing in a very frazzled manner he said "It's okay. It didn't burn me. I know it was an accident", would you think he is truly okay with it as in he in no way is bothered by it? You would need the ability to read minds to perceive that he is being polite and is trying to help not make a scene about it?

You can't fault people for thinking what you say is true. Like, you're just being ridiculous at this point.

Hex

Banned
I would still like some information as to why you were dining with co workers and none of them thought it was a big enough deal to bring up at the time or take to management. You were at the same table right? They could see the huge stain on the back of your shirt? And the big bowl that fell on the floor?
I know my coworkers would say something

daviyoung

Banned
Yes it is hard. Having to ask for compensation for an obviously egregious mistake like having soup spilled on you is embarrassing. I'd rather take my business elsewhere if you can't "read my mind" on how having soup spilled on you is a bad experience.

the first step is to call over a manager, and see what they have to say about it

How does management comp the bill if they don't know it happened? I suppose the waitress could have notified the management, even after apologising and the customer saying it wasn't a big concern

All that means is you have to work on speaking to people. Soup was spilled on you and you remain silent? That's not being polite. That's being timid. Being timid is something folks should work on, not everyone has to to work around that just for you. Aint no one got time for that.

When I was a server I spilled a drink on a customer. I paid for his meal out of pocket because I wanted to And I knew the owner of the restaurant would not do anything about it as far a comping the meal.

I get what the op was trying to say but no one should ever expect to get something for free if accidents like that happen.

So what if it is potentially embarrassing? Asking for compensation whether you get it or not isn't going to kill you. At least you're speaking up, not being a doormat. These are people skills that everyone should improve at. Don't just expect the world to pay attention when you do nothing.

Razorback

All that means is you have to work on speaking to people. Soup was spilled on you and you remain silent? That's not being polite. That's being timid. Being timid is something folks should work on, not everyone has to to work around that just for you. Aint no one got time for that.

What would you call someone that doesn't understand that spilling soup on others is wrong?

Maybe those people should also work on their issues.

What would you call someone that doesn't understand that spilling soup on others is wrong?

Who is saying spilling soup on others is right? Huh?

Just that if you want more action than the waiter apologising, which is what the OP wants, you gotta speak your mind.

I once ordered a dish at a chain restaurant and about 10 minutes later the waiter came back to apologize and tell me this dish isn't available today. I obviously show some frustration but don't make a big deal out of it and order something else. They offered me a free appetizer while I waited for my food and a free dessert too.

hbkdx12

Who is saying spilling soup on others is right? Huh?

Just that if you want more action than the waiter apologising, which is what the OP wants, you gotta speak your mind.

Given that the context of the situation revolves around food services and the hospitality sector, i don't understand why such a low standard is being so widely accepted throughout the thread.

Spilling soup on someone and, amongst other things, ruining their clothes is a pretty egregious mistake. One that should inherently warrant more than just a simple apology. Regardless of what the customer says or how politely/timidly they say it.

The onus should be put the server to feel compelled to WANT to do/offer more than just an apology as oppose to putting the onus on the customer to escalate the situation.

Yeah you can say that you should say something to management. That could work for sure. I have never had to speak to a manager abput anything my whole life and I get comped shit. Some people dont like confrontation and depending on the situation you could be ina strange position. So the person not going back for repeat business and having bad things to say about the place is hurting the restaurant more than its hurting the customer. This is why any place in the over a decade I've worked at in the industry will train you how to handle a situation like this. If you work somewhere where the management would not help you take care of something like this without having the person have to speak up about it, then it is shitty management and training on their behalf and its places like this that get a bad rep and a lot of the time dont last very long.

Jigorath

Banned
I was at a restaurant with some friends last week. They were shorthanded that night so it took forever to get our meals out. The manager came and personally apologized for the wait and offered us a couple free desserts.

I don't think the restaurant you went to has very good customer service.

It's not right, nor wrong. It was an accident. The act isn't a good image that's why she apologized. The OP said it was fine. He never showed an inkling for wanting more.

You are not being reasonable. Sure, it's fine if the restaurant wants to comp him a meal without his intervention but its also fine if they don't.

Some of y'all need to be a bit more social and speak up to the people that matter instead of being passive-aggressive about it to other people.

People said that the waitress isn't in the wrong?

People calling out OP for telling the waitress it's fine, then not speaking up, then making a thread on the internet about not receiving anything from the restaurant does not mean that we are saying that the waitress is in the green.

Having read through the OP a couple of times, I'm of a mind that you're right, most likely the management staff would have heard through some source about this accident, and in the restaurants I've worked in the comp for a $15 meal is worth the avoidance of a complaint (I know that's not how many would see it, but that is a standard for a lot of chains and independents: an accident occurred wherein a customer got an article of clothing stained, no one asked him to come in, and he didn't contribute to the accident).

However, don't take that as any kind of mistreatment, you specifically said 'it's okay', which means she's not gonna go into the back and laugh it off, she'd have likely been shitting herself in case she got into trouble over this. Verbally, she's taken that as it is - he's okay. If my experience has taught me anything, she'll have likely been spoken to over it after you have left, since accident or no, spilling food or drinks on a customer isn't something overlooked or accepted by management. As for the tip, I'd speak to a superior as a complaint if it is a bother, (not being snarky there btw, genuinely I know it does irritate people) as if it's in with the total bill, she'd have had no say in it being there or not.

Why not write in if it is still something that is playing on your mind, because I can imagine it is something she and her management staff have likely been talking about or thinking about since it happened. It doesn't need to come across as callous, just inform them that you'd have liked more of a response from them. Otherwise, take your business elsewhere. Just don't expect them to mind read past "I'm okay".

Having read through the OP a couple of times, I'm of a mind that you're right, most likely the management staff would have heard through some source about this accident, and in the restaurants I've worked in the comp for a $15 meal is worth the avoidance of a complaint (I know that's not how many would see it, but that is a standard for a lot of chains and independents: an accident occurred wherein a customer got an article of clothing stained, no one asked him to come in, and he didn't contribute to the accident).

However, don't take that as any kind of mistreatment, you specifically said 'it's okay', which means she's not gonna go into the back and laugh it off, she'd have likely been shitting herself in case she got into trouble over this. Verbally, she's taken that as it is - he's okay. If my experience has taught me anything, she'll have likely been spoken to over it after you have left, since accident or no, spilling food or drinks on a customer isn't something overlooked or accepted by management. As for the tip, I'd speak to a superior as a complaint if it is a bother, (not being snarky there btw, genuinely I know it does irritate people) as if it's in with the total bill, she'd have had no say in it being there or not.

Why not write in if it is still something that is playing on your mind, because I can imagine it is something she and her management staff have likely been talking about or thinking about since it happened. It doesn't need to come across as callous, just inform them that you'd have liked more of a response from them. Otherwise, take your business elsewhere. Just don't expect them to mind read past "I'm okay".

I did that once, we had the worst service that I've ever experienced. I'm one yo rarely complain. But the service was SO shit, that when the waitress tried to save it at the end by offering a free small sundae, I just left because I didn't want to create a scene.

Wrote a large email to corporate, they sent it to the general manager, we were comped 2 GCs and 2 vouchers for free appetisers

You should have said something OP, that's some shitty customer service, would've told them how shameless they are for putting the tip on the receipt.

If you are too scared to stand up for yourself, don't expect the world to just serve you.

image.php

Totally read that in her voice lmao. Sounds exactly like something she would say.

Two Words

Yeah you can say that you should say something to management. That could work for sure. I have never had to speak to a manager abput anything my whole life and I get comped shit. Some people dont like confrontation and depending on the situation you could be ina strange position. So the person not going back for repeat business and having bad things to say about the place is hurting the restaurant more than its hurting the customer. This is why any place in the over a decade I've worked at in the industry will train you how to handle a situation like this. If you work somewhere where the management would not help you take care of something like this without having the person have to speak up about it, then it is shitty management and training on their behalf and its places like this that get a bad rep and a lot of the time dont last very long.

So many people seem to be unable to understand that I have the expectation that the restaurant would do something without needing me to raise a stink about it. From my point of view, my feeling was that if the restaurant wasn't going to do anything themselves, I wasn't going to ask for anything. I'll just pay my bill and never come back.If people recommend to go there, I'll recommend we go somewhere else. If the restaurant addressed the issue and tried to resolve it, then I would be willing to come back.

How does this attitude escape so many people? It's like a birthday gift. You might have a relationship with somebody where they feel like getting them a birthday gift is something they should do. But one of them asking them to get the other to get them a gift kinda defeats the whole gesture of getting a gift.

So many people seem to be unable to understand that I have the expectation that the restaurant would do something without needing me to raise a stink about it. From my point of view, my feeling was that if the restaurant wasn't going to do anything themselves, I wasn't going to ask for anything. I'll just pay my bill and never come back.If people recommend to go there, I'll recommend we go somewhere else. If the restaurant addressed the issue and tried to resolve it, then I would be willing to come back.

How does this attitude escape so many people? It's like a birthday gift. You might have a relationship with somebody where they feel like getting them a birthday gift is something they should do. But one of them asking them to get the other to get them a gift kinda defeats the whole gesture of getting a gift.

Wait, this whole line of thought is weird: is not getting comped because you didn't bother really an issue that makes you not go back? The server apoligized, you accepted, and were putting up a front that everything was OK. You even tipped. From their point of view the incident was over and everyone was OK. Now you're going to just hide in the shadows and slam their business because you were too afraid to speak up? Listen here: they don't know it's an issue because you're not fucking pressing it.

Now you use a birthday present as an example? One where both people know they should get a gift and asking ruins it? OK. You are really entitled.

lol this is still going?

Maybe e-mail the restaurant or leave a review, give them a chance to make it right

I'd say e-mail, call, or drop in next time he walks by it, if it's important enough for him.
Don't review it just yet. Seems a bit much when he doesn't even know if management did realize what happened.

I did that once, we had the worst service that I've ever experienced. I'm one yo rarely complain. But the service was SO shit, that when the waitress tried to save it at the end by offering a free small sundae, I just left because I didn't want to create a scene.

Wrote a large email to corporate, they sent it to the general manager, we were comped 2 GCs and 2 vouchers for free appetisers

It does all tally up beyond the comps as well you know, a couple of sites at the chain I work at are under a lot of heat over Head Office complaints. Head Office doesn't forget complaints, they hang shit like that over management for a long-arse time and it is a barometer to measure if someone needs to step in on management's mis-management of a restaurant. If OP feels management didn't step at the right time, this is a way of flagging that.

I don't personally appreciate it as a tool; complaints are easily an abused tool by Head Office, but given his situation, OP has nothing to lose from writing in.

I'd say e-mail, call, or drop in next time he walks by it, if it's important enough for him.
Don't review it just yet. Seems a bit much when he doesn't even know if management did realize what happened.

E-mail and mention that the server apologized but you felt embarrassed with soup all over your clothes

Throughout this thread, you have never budged from your position that you were completely to the right at every point and anyone making criticisms just doesn't understand you. I guess this attitude is why the thread is still going :p

Throughout this thread, you have never budged from your position that you were completely to the right at every point and anyone making criticisms just doesn't understand you. I guess this attitude is why the thread is still going :p

Yeah, it's weird. He will never budge from his position and he knows 100% the restaurant should have comped him yet he pushes the issue. He then says it's not because he's being passive-aggressive or is seeking validation for his inaction.

Like, what is the issue, then?

Two Words

Nearly anybody that has had an argument against me has done so in a way that I would classify as not arguing in good faith. This includes you.

prag16

Banned
File it under "Gaffer vs Waitress"

My favourite : Waitresses sitting down at your table: Unprofessional or...?

Holy shit, that thread. I will never fathom how some internet denizens actually function in the world. Well based on that OP and some of the responses: They kind of don't. The quoted link is far worse than this topic or the "lady wouldn't take a picture" thread linked imo.

Nearly anybody that has had an argument against me has done so in a way that I would classify as not arguing in good faith. This includes you.

Clutch way to attempt to shut down any discussion/debate; blanket "you're arguing in bad faith". Seems legit.

Oscar

are y'all white or middle-upper class?

honest question
I'm as Mexican as it gets, middle class. If the waitress apologized, then we're good. It would suck, but shit happens, we all make mistakes.

OP also said his meal was $15 after tip, that's like a Chipotle meal if you get guac and chips/drink. Trippin hard.

you would have avoided all of this if you used this bad boy attitude at the restaurant. you clearly don't mind being impolite.

Two Words

Clutch way to attempt to shut down any discussion/debate; blanket "you're arguing in bad faith". Seems legit.

You say that, but....

You're a whiny baby.

She apologized

Move on

People make mistakes and she apologized. You even said it was no big deal.

Get over it.

Not that big of a deal, stop whining

Reading the OP, I hope she did.

The last one is somebody hoping the waitress spilled it on me on purpose.

These are just from the first page or 2 and far worse stuff was said later. Go look through the thread and see. Many people here that are arguing against me have this obsession to twist my actions and feelings to fit their narrative. This is not arguing in good faith. If you can read the OP and interpret it as me whining or not being able to "get over it", then yes I think you are not arguing in good faith.

Not quite the same thing, but my family and I took a trip to Hilton Head last month, and at one of the restaurants our server who was plain rude the whole time, flipped us off from behind the server doors after my sister in law asked for a different salad because he brought her the wrong one. I could clear as day see him through the doors, it was actually pretty funny, but obviously unprofessional as shit. Anyway my wife went and complained to the manager who basically said sorry, and that was that. Not quite the same thing as OP, but I see more and more food service places just not give a shit. However, in OPs case the server apologized and it was clearly an accident. Move on.

You say that, but....

The last one is somebody hoping the waitress spilled it on me on purpose.

These are just from the first page or 2 and far worse stuff was said later. Go look through the thread and see. Many people here that are arguing against me have this obsession to twist my actions and feelings to fit their narrative. This is not arguing in good faith. If you can read the OP and interpret it as me whining or not being able to "get over it", then yes I think you are not arguing in good faith.

wait, you're not acting whiny, entitled, passive-aggressive or fishing for validation for your inaction? YOU HAVE STATED MULTIPLE TIMES IN THIS THREAD YOU ARE 100% RIGHT AND THE RESTAURANT SHOULD HAVE COMP'D YOU.

The only question remains is what fucking answer or discussion are you looking for? you seem to disregard any other opinion as "bad faith". so there's really only 1 conclusion.

Razorback

wait, you're not acting whiny, entitled, passive-aggressive or fishing for validation for your inaction? YOU HAVE STATED MULTIPLE TIMES IN THIS THREAD YOU ARE 100% RIGHT AND THE RESTAURANT SHOULD HAVE COMP'D YOU.

The only question remains is what fucking answer or discussion are you looking for? you seem to disregard any other opinion as "bad faith". so there's really only 1 conclusion.

He is 100% right and should have been comped. You're wrong. Why should he budge just because there's a large number of wrong people in this thread?

He is 100% right and should have been comped. You're wrong. Why should he budge just because there's a large number of wrong people in this thread?

Because he's asking for a fucking discussion. He has already stated he should have been 100% comp'd. Any arguments for speaking up about issues is labeled as "arguing in bad faith". So what fucking argument is there to be had by OP's standards? He will 100% deny any other opinion.

What is he really after?

Two Words

I wouldn't bother arguing with Subpar Spatula. If you search through his/her post history, it is filled with nothing but inane arguing for the sake of being contrarian.

hbkdx12

Not quite the same thing, but my family and I took a trip to Hilton Head last month, and at one of the restaurants our server who was plain rude the whole time, flipped us off from behind the server doors after my sister in law asked for a different salad because he brought her the wrong one. I could clear as day see him through the doors, it was actually pretty funny, but obviously unprofessional as shit. Anyway my wife went and complained to the manager who basically said sorry, and that was that. Not quite the same thing as OP, but I see more and more food service places just not give a shit. However, in OPs case the server apologized and it was clearly an accident. Move on.

I find it concerning that this is some how being purported an acceptable standard particularly as it pertains to food service and the hospitality sector

An apology is literally the bare minimum that the server could muster. The server should feel compelled to do more. It shouldn't matter how the customer does or doesn't react. They should inherently WANT to do more to make up for what can easily been seen as an egregious mistake. That should be the standard. Period.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom