• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wal-Mart scammed into price-matching the bogus 89.99$ PS4 listing on Amazon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Price matching is really stupid.

What's to stop me from just modifying the DOM on Amazon.com to change the price shown in the browser?

Or setting up a proxy to do that?

It seems stupidly easy to scam retailers with this system.

Every time I price-match anywhere (BB, Fry's, Target, and even Walmart) they actually go to the site on their machine and check it.

Hmm there's a big difference (ethically) between taking advantage of a glitch and intentionally creating a fake price.

But I'm one of the people who got a Wii U for $60 so who am I to talk.
Not really. You know they are incorrect either way.

I would have done it, don't get me wrong, but they aren't different ethically. You are taking advantage of poorly moderated system either way.

The number of systems that go at a cheap price is pretty minimal which is why it doesn't bother me and I wouldn't hesitate if I still needed a system. Give it a try!

Couleurs

Stealing from multi-billion dollar companies. So evile.

To be fair, there are many multi billion dollar companies that treat their workers/customers/vendors fairly so I wouldn't encourage taking advantage of them (Costco for example). On the other hand, fuck every single thing about Walmart and they deserve anything bad that happens to them.

rlPjAr2.png

Damn

shock-value

Neo Member
It's not really fraud unless the same people putting up the fake listings are the ones buying the PS4s at Wal-Mart. And the article doesn't explicitly say that this is the case.

Congratulations on the theft!

And he's so proud of himself, too. Ugh.

Okay so now this is theft. Meanwhile, at the $60 Wii U and 3ds thread we were all congratulating each other, bargaining to get some from people who got extras, etc.

I'm not gonna lie, if I could jump into any of these deals I probably would. (maybe not ps4 as I don't care about the system right now, but still). At a cost of self respect, sure, but I would.

I'm amazed they honor these obvious scams/pricing errors. I don't think I could go into a store and actually take advantage of this, though. Even the Best Buy Gamer's Club with $15 phone thing rubbed me the wrong way.

...why? That was an official discount from Best Buy that they advertised all over their website.

Kumo

It's not really fraud unless the same people putting up the fake listings are the ones buying the PS4s at Wal-Mart. And the article doesn't explicitly say that this is the case.

I'm pretty sure that's exactly why those people put up the fake listings in the first place.

At least Target has thought of it and so has others, they use their own systems/computers/iPads to look at the prices.

Yeah but I've price matched at Best Buy (the only time I ever have) and all they did was look at my phone and refresh the page. I could set up a proxy to modify the price element on another page and just do a host file override to point bestbuy.ca at whatever server I'm running.

Also as a consumer I kinda hate price matching. Like I've run into assholes in front of me at the checkout trying to price match everything they're buying. In some cases a cart full of groceries, let's price match absolutely everything. Takes way too long.

i don't see how its scamming, unless the person made the listing and then proceeded to wal mart to price match, then yeah its scamming

wal mart should change the policy then to only if it says "shipped and sold by amazon" if this keeps happening.

Reszo

People use to try to pull this, price matching amazon sellers, stuff with me when I worked at Best Buy, I use to bring it up on the computer and point out that it's not AMAZON selling it but another seller. Pissed off a lot of customers lol mostly gamers

People on here didn't take long to work out that the listing wasn't sold by Amazon itself so I have no sympathy for Wal-Mart. I have huge admiration for all those who managed to get this deal. Bravo to you all!

RedTurbo

Banned
Okay so now this is theft. Meanwhile, at the $60 Wii U and 3ds thread we were all congratulating each other, bargaining to get some from people who got extras, etc.
What don't you understand?

If a pricing error happens and it is the fault of the seller, the seller must acknowledge it and let the buyers that got it at the error price to keep their purchase.

A customer making up a fake amazon listing and then going to the store to get it at a "deal" that doesn't exist is scamming.

People use to try to pull this, price matching amazon sellers, stuff with me when I worked at Best Buy, I use to bring it up on the computer and point out that it's not AMAZON selling it but another seller. Pissed off a lot of customers lol mostly gamers

This is what everyone who works at a "price matching" approved store should do. Good on you!

RS4-

If this was in Canada, our version of CAG or something would be crying all fucking day about not being able to Pm, calls to upper management, complaints to the BBB, etc.

Then there'd be the eventual "I bought 10 ps4s" kind of people.

ViciousDS

Banned
CASHIER/MANAGER FUCKED UP.

thats about it.......It's the Cashiers/Managers responsibility to make sure it says sold and shipped by Amazon instead of some 3rd party distributor.

edit: and no Amzonelectronics isn't legit lol, how the fuck did that go through.

Don't get the unethical comments. At the end of the day in a free market people can buy and sell for whatever they like. If companies are not vigliant against this kind of stuff thats their problem, not the buyer.

If this is unethical so is buying games from a store reigon apart from your own, for example.

Its poor taste to brag about it though.

Do you feel the same when people put up a "cracked"(them developers not being viligiant enough) version of games to be pirated?

(100% not trying to bust your balls but I feel like this is no different then piracy)

This isn't unethical at all. Customers are making Wal-Mart make good on their price match promise. Its Wal-Mart's problem to make sure the price shown is legit, not the customer's.

Do you feel the same when people put up a "cracked"(them developers not be viligiant enough) version of games to be pirated?

(100% not trying to bust your balls but I feel like this is no different then piracy)

They are not remotely similar and exactly what proof do you have that the people who took advantage of this are the same people who created the listing?

Einbroch

Banned
I don't understand. What moron would accept a 77.5% discount on an incredibly popular piece of hardware?

I mean, I could see a $50-$75 price match. Fire sales, whatever. But $310 off? Idiots.

CASHIER FUCKED UP.

thats about it.......It's the Cashiers/Managers responsibility to make sure it says sold and shipped by Amazon instead of some 3rd party distributor.

edit: and no Amzonelectronics isn't legit lol, how the fuck did that go through.

Cashier didn't. Manager did. If the price is over a certain amount (I think its like 20+ dollars) then a manager has to override.

E the Shaggy

I don't understand. What moron would accept a 77.5% discount on an incredibly popular piece of hardware?

I mean, I could see a $50-$75 price match. Fire sales, whatever. But $310 off? Idiots.

A "moron" who gets paid minimum wage and has their hours constantly changed/shortened with no benefits.

Wal-Mart treats their employees horribly, they should expect horrible performance.

ViciousDS

Banned
Cashier didn't. Manager did. If the price is over a certain amount (I think its like 20+ dollars) then a manager has to override.

yes, in my small font I explained both, I edited the initial opener lol.

But yes, the manager must have only done a quick glance at the distributor because its clearly not an Amazon listing.

They are not remotely similar and exactly what proof do you have that the people who took advantage of this are the same people who created the listing?

They don't have to be? You dont have to be the one who put up the pirated version of the game, youre still taking advantage of something by downloading it. Works the same in this case, you don't have to be the one who put up the listing but you still took advantage of it.

Aces&Eights

If it is a legit listing I.E. Best Buy actually listed the product that low then I would be all over it. But come on, this is fraud plain and simple.

KoopaTheCasual

yes, in my small font I explained both, I edited the initial opener lol.

But yes, the manager must have only done a quick glance at the distributor because its clearly not an Amazon listing.
Which is probably why the third party went for the name "Amozon" to trick people for the price-match.

Very deliberate scamming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom