• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Want to become a Playstation Videogame tester?

bluemax said:
QA testers, lulz. A necessary evil for the industry but not a job anyone should strive for.

The stories I've heard about QA testers SINCE joining the industry are even worse than the ones I heard before joining.

Seriously if you want to get paid to write shit like,

"The volume on the menus is too low, please fix it." Without any indication of how low is too low, or how high it should be, then by all means become a tester!

I hate having to reproduce the bugs that QA testers check off, I can't imagine actually having to find and document them in the first place.

Your problem isn't with the testers, your problem is with the crappy management of your company who fail to hire a quality Producer or QA manager.

shuri

Banned
OldJadedGamer said:
Your problem isn't with the testers, your problem is with the crappy management of your company who fail to hire a quality Producer or QA manager.
Exactly. Those kind of reports should be rejected on the spot.

I'm glad I did my test start back in "00. I'd hate to be a tester now with all the online stuff, profile signing in and out, and the rest of the compliance issues. I miss the days when the controller plugged into slot 1 was always player 1 and slot 2 was always player 2.

CENOBITE

ScrabbleBanshee said:
As a developer, I can say with candid certainty, that we tend to look down on QA people as overpaid brainless parasites. That being said, I don't want to do their job, and they do serve a purpose when they actually have a clue about what they're doing.

Overpaid?!

And as a QA tester, being paid a couple of bucks more than minimum wage, having to work OT just as long as you do to figure out all your sloppy coding and watch you make all the wrong decisions about what to cut and what to keep while worrying how to pay the bills ain't too great either.

bluemax

Banned
OldJadedGamer said:

We're an independent studio and that report came from one of the publisher's testers.

We have two in house production testers who seem to be all right as far as QA goes. The publisher's testers are kinda iffy...

CENOBITE said:
Overpaid?!

And as a QA tester, being paid a couple of bucks more than minimum wage, having to work OT just as long as you do to figure out all your sloppy coding and watch you make all the wrong decisions about what to cut and what to keep while worrying how to pay the bills ain't too great either.

Pft, more like someone else's sloppy coding that I'm being asked to fix with only a few days of looking at the code base, based on some nonsensical, nigh impossible to reproduce bug report.

gstaff

Just got around to watching this video. So around 5:25 or so in the credits, they have an image that is blurred out. From what I can see, it looks like it might be two testers making out.

Am I seeing this right?

BlackGoku03 said:
That's pretty much anywhere in North America but California.
Hey now, don't forget Seattle, there are tons of game developers here, including two console manufacturers. I did some time testing for Nintendo back in the day, it was fun. You shoulda read the hilarious gay jokes that were in Zelda: Majora's Mask in the first translations (the two jugglers in town...jokes about the balls they were juggling...)

bluemax said:
We're an independent studio and that report came from one of the publisher's testers.

We have two in house production testers who seem to be all right as far as QA goes. The publisher's testers are kinda iffy...
Well yeah, publisher testers always suck - they hire the cheapest of the cheap through the worst temp agencies. The kind of tester who will write a bug about how your GBA game doesn't use the DS' X and Y buttons (a real bug!), or will make a generic suggestion and call it a severe bug, or will fail a bug's fix without any comments at all as to how it failed or how to reproduce the problem.

But in-house testers tend to rock!

Top Bottom