• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WaPo: Trump bans travelers from six Muslim-majority countries applying for visas

Status
Not open for further replies.

fireflame

But Iran is Shia in large majority and Al Qaeda and Daech are extreme fanatics on the Sunniite part, so that doesnt make sense to say Iran supports their enemies.

I'm scared about what he'll do if he's blocked again.

I'm not an attorney, but i'm going to assume that the DOJ has revised this one to stand up to legal scrutiny because the first one was clearly rushed out-no if's and buts about that.

But then again the man occupying the oval office is an idiot so who knows

I'm sure the proper groups are already looking at it to see what legal grounds there are if any to take this to court for.

Loxley

So, assuming this goes to court, the Trump administration would have to:

1) Somehow convince the courts that this ban is not illegal or unconstitutional under American law. This would be a tall order since I'm pretty sure it is illegal to ban immigrants based on national origin or religion.
2) Prove that people traveling from these specific countries pose a direct threat to America and its citizens. Again, a tall order considering the 99% of domestic terror attacks (like mass shootings) are carried out by US citizens who've become radicalized or otherwise have severe mental health issues.
3) Prove that this ban would eliminate that threat. Well, it's hard to eliminate a threat that doesn't actually exist, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yeah, good luck Donny.

But Iran is Shia in large majority and Al Qaeda and Daech are extreme fanatics on the Sunniite part, so that doesnt make sense to say Iran supports their enemies.

Yup, incredible that got through.

Or maybe not THAT incredible. all Muslims are the same after all.

KHarvey16

Could the ACLU sue under the same argument they won with last time? There's no proof that people from these countries are a threat.

I think the arguments that originally led to the restraining order are voided by this version but that just moves the needle deeper into the set of arguments they've already made.

That was due to an addendum that Christians had priority, though.

I don't believe that's true.

Why do this? Someone help me understand - from a strategic standpoint.

If the goal is to prevent terrorism (which it isn't), then how the hell does blocking a bunch of countries that haven't sent terrorists our way accomplish that?

If the goal is a thinly veiled plot to prevent Muslim immigration to the US, then why only ban them from obtaining visas for 90 days? What about after that? Is this just a spook tactic to send a message? Aside from showing that Trump is a real asshole, we know this thing is the brainchild of smarter people in his administration, so what the fuck is the point of this thing? What is it supposed to really accomplish after the 90 days are up?

some trump supporters got hyped for him because he openly expressed disdain for non-white people. he is pushing an executive order expressing disdain for non-white non-christian people to appease those supporters as much as he can without hurting his own business interests. Trump himself seems to be rather racist, bannon is a true believer in white supremacy, and Jeff Sessions is Jeff Sessions.

WedgeX

Banned
The administration is doing some shady shit in rolling this out.

NY Times said:
In a conference call with reporters on Monday morning, officials with Homeland Security, the Department of State and Department of Justice defended Mr. Trump’s original order and said the rewrite was intended to address legal concerns quickly to deal with what they repeatedly characterized as an urgent national security threat.

In a break with standard practice, participants in the call did not give their names to reporters even though, as a condition of joining the briefing, journalists had agreed to identify them only as unnamed officials.

rjinaz

Trump is going to lose his shit if this get shut down by the courts. I look forward to it. But then, that's just another day in Trump's America.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Looks like this asshole wants to use brown people to get attention off Russia and the "Obama Wiretap" bullshit.

Its time to rise up again Washington

web1_TSR-Bob-Ferguson-2-170203.jpg

StoOgE

Also,

we should have a real conversation about the white house basically coming up with a way to ignore the judiciary.

1) Sign illegal EO.
2) Inact EO and cause chaos, detain people with visas and cause a shitshow
3) Have courts overturn EO.
4) Instead of appealing EO or working through court system, write new almost identical EO.
5) Inact "new" EO, cause chaos, detain people and cause a shitshow.

This is a new overreach by the executive to bypass the judiciaries previous rulings. It's really really fucked up beyond just being a shitty racist thing to do. It's an authoritarian powergrab.

Very likely based on what?

It looks like based off CNN's reporting that the order was reworked based off various legal challenges, the administration briefed relevant parties before it went into effect, and rescinded the previous order explicitly. We'll see what the counterarguments say.

themadcowtipper

Smells faintly of rancid stilton.
Got a few emails from ALCU about this. I doubt it holds up in court.
I hope your right, but the rollout is different. No visa bans, which caused most of the protests. I think Irag being except. Also Syrian only 120 day betting, not banned outright is a key.

Again not an expert on these matters, just understanding the difference of the orders.

It is like seeing a movie, then buying the unrated version with three minutes of extra talking that sucks.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Also,

we should have a real conversation about the white house basically coming up with a way to ignore the judiciary.

1) Sign illegal EO.
4) Instead of appealing EO or working through court system, write new almost identical EO.

This is a new overreach by the executive to bypass the judiciaries previous rulings. It's really really fucked up beyond just being a shitty racist thing to do. It's an authoritarian powergrab.

It's really not almost identical.

TheMan

This will be a good litmus test of how Americans will react to trump going forward. If protests don't start up again soon I have a feeling it means people are already too worn out and cynical to enact the kind of resistance it would take to fight trump effectively.

Dr.Acula

Banned

If the goal is to prevent terrorism (which it isn't), then how the hell does blocking a bunch of countries that haven't sent terrorists our way accomplish that?

If the goal is a thinly veiled plot to prevent Muslim immigration to the US, then why only ban them from obtaining visas for 90 days? What about after that? Is this just a spook tactic to send a message? Aside from showing that Trump is a real asshole, we know this thing is the brainchild of smarter people in his administration, so what the fuck is the point of this thing? What is it supposed to really accomplish after the 90 days are up?

Once an order is given and passes muster, it's a trivial matter to "renew" the order.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2014/10/22/president-obama-states-of-emergency/16851775/

A post-9/11 state of national emergency declared by President George W. Bush — and renewed six times by President Obama — forms the legal basis for much of the war on terror.

Tuesday, President Obama informed Congress he was extending another Bush-era emergency for another year, saying "widespread violence and atrocities" in the Democratic Republic of Congo "pose an unusual and extraordinary threat to the foreign policy of the United States."

[...]

In his six years in office, President Obama has declared nine emergencies, allowed one to expire and extended 22 emergencies enacted by his predecessors.

There's a temporary order from the Carter administration that was still floating around at the time of that writing.

Also,

1) Sign illegal EO.

It's not even remotely "identical".

Maxim726X

From what I've come to understand, it is within the rights of the president to control immigration like this... But there were some vagaries in the previous EO which made it impossible to clear.

I'm assuming that this EO was vetted carefully, and I would imagine that this one is going to stand. What's the feeling at this point? Is this likely to stick?

It looks like based off CNN's reporting that the order was reworked based off various legal challenges, the administration briefed relevant parties before it went into effect, and rescinded the previous order explicitly. We'll see what the counterarguments say.
The previous order is definitely done. In the new EO:

Given the foregoing, the entry into the United States of foreign nationals who may commit, aid, or support acts of terrorism remains a matter of grave concern. In light of the Ninth Circuit's observation that the political branches are better suited to determine the appropriate scope of any suspensions than are the courts, and in order to avoid spending additional time pursuing litigation, I am revoking Executive Order 13769 and replacing it with this order, which expressly excludes from the suspensions categories of aliens that have prompted judicial concerns and which clarifies or refines the approach to certain other issues or categories of affected aliens.

You can read the full EO here:

https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-pres...-nation-foreign-terrorist-entry-united-states

NewFresh

Also,

1) Sign illegal EO.

I really wish the significance of this got more attention alongside with how terrible it is. They are literally going around the process to get their way.

From what I've come to understand, it is within the rights of the president to control immigration like this... But there were some vagaries in the previous EO which made it impossible to clear.

I'm assuming that this EO was vetted carefully, and I would imagine that this one is going to stand. What's the feeling at this point? Is this likely to stick?

As far as I can tell they addressed every issue the courts had with the last order. It will be challenged but I don't know if any reason it would fail this time.

One possible reason is that the 6 countries covered are not providing enough information to the US immigration officials on people who apply for visas/refugee status. Iraq was removed from the list specifically because Iraqi government officials will now provide more background information on people who apply for US visas.

Of course with a country like Syria I'm not even sure how any of that works, since aren't we technically at war with them or something?

Trump and his lackeys are on record a thousand times over saying they want to ban Muslims. He can couch this thing in any language he pleases but people and judges know what's up.

Maxim726X

I really wish the significance of this got more attention alongside with how terrible it is. They are literally going around the process to get their way.

?

How is re-writing an executive order, based on legal criticisms from the courts, 'going around the process'?

themadcowtipper

All signs point that this one was carefully planned hence the delay in it. Hell it doesn't even go into effect untill the 16 so no travel delays, which was a huge problem with the last order.

StoOgE

The previous order is definitely done. In the new EO:

You can read the full EO here:

https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-pres...-nation-foreign-terrorist-entry-united-states

Oh, I read it. It's still a dumb fucking policy that is targeting a religious group. They just took out the language that expressly said so.

The only differences are:
1) Iraq is excluded
2) They don't specifically say they are going to benefit repressed minority religious groups within these countries
3) If you have a Visa, you still have a Visa.

Everything else about it is a "test" the same way the last ban was, and even that language from the announcement is basically saying the judiciary should go fuck themselves from overturning the last one.

It is still a ban targeting muslim majority countries because of a false notion that being of born in one of those countries makes you more likely to be a terrorist regardless of who you are and where you live. This is still an attempt in the words of members and allies of this administration to make a muslim ban "legal" without impacting anyone who does substantial business with the United States.

Vestal

Gold Member
?

How is re-writing an executive order, based on legal criticisms from the courts, 'going around the process'?

More of not using the intelligence provided by the various department such as DHS saying that this EO is not necessary and nothing positive would be gained from it.

They aren't going around any process here. They are abandoning any further litigation on the previous EO because they know it won't stand up to legal scrutiny. Despite all of his "SEE YOU IN COURT!" bullshit - this is basically a full on admission by the administration the original executive order was a disaster no matter how you slice it.

Hence why this new order exists which is far more focused in scope, much much softer and written to address a vast majority of the legal issues brought about by the courts.

Jeels

So, I read up on what's different between the two. My question is, are there still legal issues with it?

So, I read up on what's different between the two. My question is, are there still legal issues with it?

well there's a DHS report saying that country of origin is useless as a predictor for terrorist activity, but I don't know if that counts as legal evidence that this is still primarily motivated by religious hatred.

Maxim726X

More of not using the intelligence provided by the various department such as DHS saying that this EO is not necessary and nothing positive would be gained from it.

The executive order is likely completely useless, and will probably cause more future harm than good. On that most agree.

But we're discussing legal roadblocks. Where are they?

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

Is this why they revoked so many visas the last time around? so they could say "oh we just aren't offering new visas" while still keeping a ton of people who originally had visas out of the country?

Surfinn

I hope your right, but the rollout is different. No visa bans, which caused most of the protests. I think Irag being except. Also Syrian only 120 day betting, not banned outright is a key.

Again not an expert on these matters, just understanding the difference of the orders.

It is like seeing a movie, then buying the unrated version with three minutes of extra talking that sucks.

I think it's still based on the same principle though. Discriminating based on country, which is still unconstitutional, right?

themadcowtipper

Is this why they revoked so many visas the last time around? so they could say "oh we just aren't offering new visas" while still keeping a ton of people who originally had visas out of the country?
What people that have visa are they keeping out of the country with this new order?

Maxim726X

I think it's still based on the same principle though. Discriminating based on country, which is still unconstitutional, right?

Well, these countries were indeed included in the previous administration's list of the most dangerous countries, as it pertains to terrorism, in the world.

As long as there is something to back these claims, the argument could easily be made that they are not based strictly on religious affiliation.

Oh, I read it. It's still a dumb fucking policy that is targeting a religious group. They just took out the language that expressly said so.

The only differences are:
1) Iraq is excluded
2) They don't specifically say they are going to benefit repressed minority religious groups within these countries
Just to be clear, I'm not saying I agree with it at a policy level. I don't and I think its an utter waste of time/effort and will do fuck all to address national security/terrorism issues.. Nonetheless, I think many are in for disappointment if they think this new EO will suffer the same fate as the first from a legal perspective. I don't think it will.

A few points on differences::

1. The EO addresses each country on the list on a case by case basis. Specifically mentioning their status as a designated state sponsor of terrorism and/or reasons why these countries are the focus of new order. Legally this is important and was lacking in the previous order.
2. The removal of Iraq is no small omission. It lists specific reasons for why the omission is made and directly helps to contradict the optics of the order being a pure Muslim ban.
3. Actively noting examples of cases of terrorist threats by foreign nationals in the order will help to justify its existence. Even if the "300 cases" example is specious as fuck and requires a great deal more specificity before it is worthwhile.
4. The exclusions/waivers in this EO are remarkably softer than the first. Legal Permanent Residents, those with already existing visas, reactivating visas for those that had them back to the issuance of the original EO and much much more. Again, this is no small change.
5. Even more additional waivers that can be claimed due to undue hardship as the new order outlines.
6. Removing the call out to Syrian refugees specifically will again help to push back against the optics of this being a Muslim ban as well. It's not just a general refugee ban which is well within the power of the Executive.

This new EO amounts to nothing more than a closure of new Visa applicants from these countries moving forward as opposed to the ridiculous broad nature of the first that caused outrageous chaos around the country.

I'll reiterate - I don't agree with this course of action but this new EO will likely stand up to legal scrutiny moving forward. At least it has a far better chance of doing so than the first one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom